Terminator Genisys (July 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't help the franchise that ownership of the property has changed hands so many times either. The studio has some say, but the company owning it has the bigger say and everyone's going to have different opinions on how to save the series.

Salvation was hurt most by not being the unique future world Cameron created and being like any post-apocalyptic world, and also by rewriting a lot of established canon about the future, yes they get the excuse of things changing by a new judgement day timeline, but still, including T-600s and making them the size of Andre the giant and not looking remotely human didn't sit well with people, Marcus's advanced technology, humanizing Skynet.

If someone could just realize the notion of a future war movie is not what went wrong but the delivery, we'd be fine. Even Genisys reinvented the future war despite the movie trying to ignore T3 and T4 and almost say, this is Cameron's future wherein the original T-800 is sent back. They went to such great lengths to mirror scenes from '84 with Arnold but came up with all new costumes and looks for the future.

i think thats ultimately the problem
every writer and director wants to do their own thing. everyone wants to add their own spin, so unless cameron himself was on board (or a director working under him) that future war movie will never happen

Doing your own thing seems to work ok in comics where there are hundreds and thousands of stories, but in films with not even a dozen, if you jump on to tell a new story in it, there's an expectation of keeping a good amount true to predecessors, and these people need to get that through their heads. If they want to do original ideas, don't call it Terminator and be totally Terminator. Hollywood films added to the franchise is not the venue for essentially making fan films on your wild ideas.

There is very little interest in another Terminator movie based on the domestic reaction on opening weekend alone...no matter who reboots it or what the story is...they need to give it a 15 year rest before even thinking about it.
I liked TS and TG but being realistic....

I wonder if the studio had been braver with either T:Salvation or T:Geisys and pursued a sequel, there's been a few average films that are succeeded by a far better sequel and usually the original film is then considered a cult classic. Could either T:S or T:G become cult classics? I don't know, now they'll just be remembered as grandiose failures.

Could either T:S or T:G become cult classics?

Terminator: Genesis could've been a cult classic if the plot wholly concentrated on an Arnie T-800 being sent back to the 1980s to kill these guys:

109889132.jpg

"Dey must die so dat good music may live . . ."

__

The theme song is already written:

There must be a scene where Arnie infiltrates as an aerobics instructor in leotards and legwarmers, though. Essential. :lecture

__

You can't even be bothered to read the source material you pontificate on, either. :lol

"You have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie..."

element-434.jpg

(can't resist the apropos myself) :wave
__

Look my bros, terminator salvation killed any chance to have another future war movie.
When salvation was hated the studios didn't think it was the script but they probably assumed " oh well people hated the future war movie so we should stick to what people want"
What's the proof? Genesys is the proof. Why else soul they go back?
Besides they can't do much if they do a future war movie because it will end up with humans winning and sending the terminator back again.

Future War is the only way I'd want it to go right now. No Arnold involvement at all, he isn't required for every T film. Just have a new trilogy, and at the end of the last film have a CGI Arnie, Biehn and Patrick all go back in time. THE END.

The endos and future war were badass in this movie. I'd love to see a Terminator movie that's based entirely in the future war without any jokes or gimmicks. Rated R.

Absolutely. I'd love for these films to go back to being rated R. I miss the sci-if/thriller feel of T1. I don't need good Terminators or forced humor either.

Back