Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
‘Avengers’ news: sequel is happening, makes $702 million
By Meriah Doty | Movie Talk – 59 minutes ago

We figured it was only a matter of time before we got the official word, but this quickly?

Aw, yeah.

Disney's Bob Iger has answered every fanboy and fangirl's biggest wish, today confirming plans for an "Avengers" sequel.

And if that wasn't enough, the Disney CEO had even more exciting news. Here's what he had to say (during a conference call with analysts, mind you):

"Marvel's The Avengers" shattered U.S. box office records with $207.1 million in its opening weekend.

It has brought in more than $702 million globally to date.

Some Disney theme parks are making room for "Avengers"-based attractions.

Iger also repeated previous anouncemnts made by Marvel Studios:

• The third "Iron Man" is scheduled for 2013.
  • "Thor" numero dos is also on the slate for 2013.
  • A "Captain America" sequel should happen in 2014.

While we now know there is, in fact, an "Avengers" sequel in the works, Iger did not disclose a date for it. (Though Reelz.com has speculated it could very well be May 16, 2014, as the studio has already reserved that release date.)

Joss Whedon has yet to say whether he's writing and/or directing the next installment. But he has been quoted recently as saying, "You know what, I haven't really thought about it. It's time for me to rest, and then see if that's even feasible."

And no one has spoken yet on which actors are returning for the sequel.

For now, we'll have to savor the tease to part II that was revealed in the final scene: During mid-credits of "The Avengers," the franchise's next villain was revealed to be... [SPOILER ALERT!]... the death-worshiping Thanos -- a villian that first appeared in Marvel Comics in 1973.

They made it official, a lot faster than anyone thought they would. They've said that the Captain America sequel would be the only one tied back to SHIELD and The Avengers and if people remember originally the Captain America film was supposed to be a month before The Avengers. If they stick with the 2014 date with both Cap 2 and The Avengers 2, it'd be along the original's plans.

Re: The Avengers 2: Avenging Again

I'm not shocked they're announcing it so soon. I mean it probably will come close to a billion dollars by the end of the weekend. Also, I think they will end up trying to tie in all three into the sequel.

Whedon will definitely be back. They'll back the money trucks up to his door.

Least. . .surprising. . .news. . .ever. . .

bd6f6a33b31ba5c71cbc9e8157404fca.jpg

I am psyched but Joss Whedon looks like he's ready to keel over from exhaustion in every interview I see. They really need to get him signed up in some capacity. He may not want to tackle another one as director but writer/producer duties are a must IMO.

Yea, just like they did Jon Favreau. . . .

I don't follow, I take it he turned down a bunch of money?

With the amount of money this movie is going to pull in when all is said and done, the money Whedon will get offered is going to be too obscenely large for anyone to turn down.

His two Iron Man movies made money but they gave him the boot. :dunno

As I recall, the issue with Favreau was in part one of creative freedom. He didn't want to keep churning out commercials for future Avengers movies.

Well, obviously Marvel makes good choices when new directors take over, so it wouldn't worry me too much even if Whedon didn't come back. . .assuming it wasn't Brett freakin' Ratner or some such that came to replace him.

I don't follow, I take it he turned down a bunch of money?

With the amount of money this movie is going to pull in when all is said and done, the money Whedon will get offered is going to be too obscenely large for anyone to turn down.

Jon Favs wasn't happy with the rush/creative constraints of IM2 so he decided not to direct part 3. Whedon has been extremely positive in his comments about how Marvel supported him creatively so I don't think that will be a problem.

His two Iron Man movies made money but they gave him the boot. :dunno

That's news to me. You don't usually fire your golden goose.

this is......

good news!!

and considering Tom Hiddleston,Chris Hemsworth and now Mark Ruffalo reportedly signing multi movie deals....CANNOT WAIT!!!

They've said that the Captain America sequel would be the only one tied back to SHIELD and The Avengers .

:pray::pray::pray:

Iron Man 2 kinda sucked because of SHEILD. Don't want Thor 2 to suck :)

This is news? I thought the plan was always to make three films for each of the characters and three avengers films. I could see them continuing though, I see this running for a long time if they play their cards right.

Feige has basically already said that Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 will not be as tied to the S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff and will be their own self-contained stories. I like that. They'll both likely be better because of it.

Feige has basically already said that Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 will not be as tied to the S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff and will be their own self-contained stories. I like that. They'll both likely be better because of it.

Yeah, but how much has that changed if any because of how well The Avengers did? It might make them want to keep things tied up a bit more but they all are already just because of the characters.

Back