Terminator Genisys (July 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they already did that exact thing with the thing prequel. they did the old animatronics and puppets, they filmed it like an 80s movie.... they tried to recreate the style

the studio and the producers didnt like the retro feeling. they said it looked cheesy, they didnt like that it looked old.
then they let the guy finish 90% of it and they did a test screening with college and some high school students and they all laughed at the movie. they said it looked stupid and the effects looke dumb. they asked why not use cgi. they mocked the movie and the studio freaked out and ordered to replace all effects with cgi....
That's sad haha oh well, I'll let the idea prosper in my head.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

At this point, I'm rooting for Skynet.

:lol

Make Arnie the bad guy again in the next movie.

giphy.gif

:exactly:

Or better...don't make a new movie. I am just wondering how much longer they can beat the dead horse. I don't think too many people want to see a new film. It will be even worse than the 5th one. It is brutal how deep the franchise sank.

That looks awful. Tron is a prime example of that technology at it's worst. :dunno

...and that was a do-over! Most people don't know Disney animation did effects that would have sunk the movie. Pixar was brought in to re-do all of the Clu stuff and it was a rush job.

One of the big problems is Jeff Bridges was at one of his career peeks when he was in his late 30's-early 40's and had a string of movie hits. It's easy to look at real footage of Jeff when he was this age and see all the gaps in the uncanny valley.

I may be in the minority, but I quite enjoyed Genisys. I'm not sure how they would make him the bad guy and explain his age. I wouldn't mind a reboot to the series without Arnie tbh as long as the cast is decent. But I'm more than happy fro a Genisys 2 direct sequel. I'd like Jai Courtney to be killed off in the first minute or two though ideally...

I'm up for more Terminator movies. I'd rather see anything than nothing. It probably helps that I've accepted that the films will never be as good as the first one. The success of Terminator 2 made that a no-brainer. Arnold will never be the bad guy again and humor wins out over terror.

I wouldn't exactly call T2 humorous. The overall tone was still very dark and It took itself seriously, unlike T3 and Genisys. They both had that sort of self deprecating humor, the kind that is basically cringe-worthy. They need to give fans exactly what we've been asking for the past 25 years. Give us a true future war film, modeled after the scenes in T1/T2. Go back to the routes, this franchise thrived when it was all about horror/fast-paced action and practical effects. No one cares about the time travel aspect anymore, they've somehow managed to make that as uninteresting as possible. :lol

Or better...don't make a new movie. I am just wondering how much longer they can beat the dead horse. I don't think too many people want to see a new film. It will be even worse than the 5th one. It is brutal how deep the franchise sank.

Unfortunately, as much as I love Arnold as the Terminator, bet it good or evil, the core concept in the franchise was not a plot line that really had franchise written on it, it was made to be a single movie, Terminator 2 handled an ongoing story well but also wrapped up possible loose ends, since 1 basically didn't change the events of the future but simply showed how they are set in motion, two delivered on the hope of there being a chance to stop the future, and they did. Terminator 3 came along and flipped the bird at that for the sake of making more money out of a story that didn't need telling, and from there on it was creating stories we didn't need.

At most, the only area to really set stories in successfully is the events of the future war, which Salvation attempted but instead of trying to tell the story of a new future set in motion by T3, they should have just treated it as Cameron's future's untold stories.

I don't want to see any more Time Travel Terminator movies featuring Arnold or our present day.

A movie where the concept of an infiltrator/assassin hunting down a person or a group of people (our beloved endoskeleton under artificial flesh), sure. The 1997-2029 war would be fine with me too, as long as it kept Cameron's aesthetic.

content_skynet.jpg

kinopoisk.ru-Terminator-2_3A-Judgment-Day-1723549.jpg

kinopoisk.ru-Terminator-2_3A-Judgment-Day-1723553.jpg

But they won't do this. They're always going to make a "present" day, current year flick featuring Arnold in some complicity with the cliched iconic lines and unfulfilling special effects.

They made Terminator:Salvation with very little involvement from Ahnuld and it tanked. I don't think there's another Terminator film without him, and that means you are stuck with a bunch of tropes that felt cliche a long time ago.

The only thing that could save Terminator as a franchise at this point is a complete reboot, from scratch. New story, new cast, new talent. The rights will be reverting back to Cameron in perpetuity in a couple of years anyway. Sony had the chance to do this with Robocop and like everything they've done recently, completely ****ed it up.

What I'd like to see is Cameron producing and overseeing a reboot of the series that then becomes a jumping-on point for new talent wanting to get mentored in filmmaking techniques by Jim and tell stories in the Terminator universe, similar to the great old Dark Horse comics with their anthology approach. Go back to smaller budgets, greater reliance on practical effects to save money, undiscovered acting talent, etc.

Someone wants to tell a Terminator story in the Old West? Fund it, give 'em $35 million and make it a hard R-rating. Claustrophobic future war story in the style of Guns of Navarone where a resistance cell have to infiltrate a Skynet compound? Fund it. Someone wants to do a 1:1 adaptation of Miller and Simonson's Robocop Vs The Terminator? Fund it.

Look my bros, terminator salvation killed any chance to have another future war movie.
When salvation was hated the studios didn't think it was the script but they probably assumed " oh well people hated the future war movie so we should stick to what people want"
What's the proof? Genesys is the proof. Why else soul they go back?
Besides they can't do much if they do a future war movie because it will end up with humans winning and sending the terminator back again.

The series needs to die, unfortunately. Crows is right, they can't just do another future war movie because it's been done and the studios probably won't touch it. And no one wants to see another T2 remake.

It doesn't help the franchise that ownership of the property has changed hands so many times either. The studio has some say, but the company owning it has the bigger say and everyone's going to have different opinions on how to save the series.

Salvation was hurt most by not being the unique future world Cameron created and being like any post-apocalyptic world, and also by rewriting a lot of established canon about the future, yes they get the excuse of things changing by a new judgement day timeline, but still, including T-600s and making them the size of Andre the giant and not looking remotely human didn't sit well with people, Marcus's advanced technology, humanizing Skynet.

If someone could just realize the notion of a future war movie is not what went wrong but the delivery, we'd be fine. Even Genisys reinvented the future war despite the movie trying to ignore T3 and T4 and almost say, this is Cameron's future wherein the original T-800 is sent back. They went to such great lengths to mirror scenes from '84 with Arnold but came up with all new costumes and looks for the future.

Back