Terminator 5

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terminator 5, F&F´s Justin Lin directing and Arnold returning?!

• Hell yeah, bring it!!!

Votes: 39 38.6%
  • Could be better then Salvation, let´s see.

Votes: 23 22.8%
  • Mediocre, I´m not that hyped...(aging Ex-Governeur?! Dunno)

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Hell no, T2 with the alternate ending wrapped it the best...no more!!!

Votes: 20 19.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Arnold Schwarzenegger Back For 'Terminator 5' With 'Fast Five' Director Justin Lin?
Posted 2/16/11 10:40 am ET by Josh Wigler in News

terminator.jpg

Arnold Schwarzenegger is back, officially fielding offers for his long-awaited Hollywood return—and when he's finally in front of the camera, it could very well be in a familiar role.

Deadline reports that with Schwarzenegger back in the game, interest is picking up for a fifth "Terminator" film, particularly from Universal Pictures. The studio is reportedly considering an approach to the franchise that would put "Fast Five" filmmaker Justin Lin and screenwriter Chris Morgan behind the driver's seat, though their involvement is far from official at this early stage.

Still, hard not to get excited about the idea of another "Terminator" movie with Schwarzenegger, Lin and Morgan attached. I know I expressed my skepticism about Arnie returning to his iconic post-apocalyptic cyborg role just last week, but if they can find a way to realistically address the actor's age—perhaps by having him play a human resistance fighter instead of the T-800 model he's played in previous installments—then of course I'm on board. I'd be fooling myself if I said otherwise.

Plus, Lin and Morgan are an excellent team. Their "Fast & Furious" collaborations have been fantastic thrill rides for action junkies, so throwing that pair onto one of the most successful and revered action franchises of all time? It's a no-brainer, really. And anyone who isn't convinced on Lin based on those films doesn't need to look any further than "Modern Warfare," the infamous paintball episode of "Community" that he directed. Not that the "Terminator" movies should be a joke, but "Salvation" completely lacked the heart and humor that was so prevalent in rounds one and two—I think Lin could bring those essential ingredients back to the table.

Again, the attachment of Lin, Morgan and Schwarzenegger is far from official. But regardless of their involvement, don't bank on the return of McG, Christian Bale or Sam Worthington—while it's possible that they could remain involved in the series, Deadline notes that their attachment ended with the recent bankruptcy battle that plagued the "Terminator" brand. In other words, their involvement is far from certain, perhaps even unlikely.

Source: https://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/02/16/arnold-schwarzenegger-terminator

Dunno what to think about it, of course the question arises:" A racing movie director is set for saving the terminator franchise?!"

I on my side must say, since I like Lin´s movie Fast & Furious and guess that Fist Five will be good too it can´t be that bad and I also guess that it´s better then McG...which I doubts for all the way ´til T4 was actually released since Charlie´s Angels was the damn worst adaption I´ve ever seen. No story, action sequences put in line without connection and worse, worse acting, but Lin knew what he did F&F...so, why not?!

Arnold on the other side...if they can pull it off to tune up the technique of de-aging a guy and putting it again over Kickinger (the overall experience wasn´t the best, but his psycho glance when Connor hit him and he turned his head back was spot on) it could be damn awesome and really work.

Love to hear your thoughts about it, guys.

Last edited:
Arnold Schwarzenegger Back For 'Terminator 5' With 'Fast Five' Director Justin Lin?

Arnold Schwarzenegger is back, officially fielding offers for his long-awaited Hollywood return—and when he's finally in front of the camera, it could very well be in a familiar role.

Deadline reports that with Schwarzenegger back in the game, interest is picking up for a fifth "Terminator" film, particularly from Universal Pictures. The studio is reportedly considering an approach to the franchise that would put "Fast Five" filmmaker Justin Lin and screenwriter Chris Morgan behind the driver's seat, though their involvement is far from official at this early stage.

Still, hard not to get excited about the idea of another "Terminator" movie with Schwarzenegger, Lin and Morgan attached. I know I expressed my skepticism about Arnie returning to his iconic post-apocalyptic cyborg role just last week, but if they can find a way to realistically address the actor's age—perhaps by having him play a human resistance fighter instead of the T-800 model he's played in previous installments—then of course I'm on board. I'd be fooling myself if I said otherwise.

Plus, Lin and Morgan are an excellent team. Their "Fast & Furious" collaborations have been fantastic thrill rides for action junkies, so throwing that pair onto one of the most successful and revered action franchises of all time? It's a no-brainer, really. And anyone who isn't convinced on Lin based on those films doesn't need to look any further than "Modern Warfare," the infamous paintball episode of "Community" that he directed. Not that the "Terminator" movies should be a joke, but "Salvation" completely lacked the heart and humor that was so prevalent in rounds one and two—I think Lin could bring those essential ingredients back to the table.

Again, the attachment of Lin, Morgan and Schwarzenegger is far from official. But regardless of their involvement, don't bank on the return of McG, Christian Bale or Sam Worthington—while it's possible that they could remain involved in the series, Deadline notes that their attachment ended with the recent bankruptcy battle that plagued the "Terminator" brand. In other words, their involvement is far from certain, perhaps even unlikely.

Dunno what to think about it, of course the question arises:" A racing movie director is set for saving the terminator franchise?!"

I on my side must say, since I like Lin´s movie Fast & Furious and guess that Fist Five will be good too it can´t be that bad and I also guess that it´s better then McG...which I doubts for all the way ´til T4 was actually released since Charlie´s Angels was the damn worst adaption I´ve ever seen. No story, action sequences put in line without connection and worse, worse acting, but Lin knew what he did F&F...so, why not?!

Arnold on the other side...if they can pull it off to tune up the technique of de-aging a guy and putting it again over Kickinger (the overall experience wasn´t the best, but his psycho glance when Connor hit him and he turned his head back was spot on) it could be damn awesome and really work.

Love to hear your thoughts about it, guys.

I still havent got the horrors of T3 out of my head........

If this will be true than it will be a huge disaster. It will be even worse than T3 and TS. No thanks...Also why the hell they want to force Arnold in every god damn movie? It already became ridiculous. The Terminator is not about him. Far from it. He is just one model. I don't want to see him in more movies except when he has to go back in time and that's it. Oh and why we have to settle down at low level with ____ directors and writers? This franchise deserves a brilliant team who want to make it really great and not just only want money and doesn't give a flying _____ about quality.

The only way if it is a prequel to T1 and T2. If they can make it right with a great director, writer etc. than make the movie...but only if it will be at the level or almost the level of the first two original movie. Otherwise forget it and just let it die already. They made a huge damage with T3 and TS and at this point they are just beating the dead horse and milking a franchise.

terminator.jpg

The Terminator films (the good ones anyways) were not action films. There were action sequences in them, of course, but they were story-driven horror/drama films set in a post apocalyptic sci-fi setting. The first film was more of a love story than an action flick. If they can't nail the story telling, it's a lost cause. Let's hope they can pull it off.

I'd rather see Roland Kickinger with a little bit of makeup on or CGI. He has the accent, he has the body, and he almost has the face.

They don't need to go give him a computer generated face implant though. Just make his mouth smaller and pronounce his cheek-thingies.

Don't get me wrong I'd love Schwarzenegger to be back, just not as a Terminator. A nostalgic appearance for maybe one scene, perhaps.

EndoSickness said:
Hell no, T2 with the alternate ending wrapped it the best...no more!!!

Wait, what alternate ending?
Seriously, what alternate ending?

Awww, don't tell me I'm that guy. I can't be that guy.
What alternate ending?

What alternate ending?

Wait for the end of the video. A chilling future prediction from James Cameron.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wv5omWKXTqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What alternate ending?

Yo, did you just cite How I met your mother?!
:lol

I just love that ending and hope Jim would´ve attached it OFFICIALLY at one point to T2...dunno, in a NEW definte ultimate edition.
One final...that wraps it...completly...then T3 and T4 could´ve been prevented.

Hell...Judgment Day for the Terminator franchise?!
:lol

Whatever...maybe Lin does it right and just wraps it too, with the story ´til T1, Arnold in a good role...maybe a serious template for his model and stand-off with the Model 101 first activated...or he´s captured by the resistance, after he worked for Skynet, warns them and the new first Model 101 infiltrates a bunker and real and Terminator Arnold face off and the old gets killed?!

I got new stuff for my T5 story.
:yess:

I was hyped until I learnt that Justin Lin is the Fast & the Furious guy. Then it became apparent that it really will be just another cash-in rather than an attempt to tell a really worthwhile story.

I want a prequel to T1 and T2, set in 2029 and showing the events leading up to the time incursions of those films. And I want Timothy Olyphant as Kyle Reese. Arnie really should only be providing his likeness, maybe his voice though I don't see why even that would be needed, so they can CGI his 2 T-800s going back through time.

The Terminator films (the good ones anyways) were not action films. There were action sequences in them, of course, but they were story-driven horror/drama films set in a post apocalyptic sci-fi setting.
T2 was an action film, IMO, and I thought it was pretty good. Just because the dramatic parts are better than the dramatic parts of, say, a Fast and the Furious-type movie doesn't mean that it wasn't essentially an action movie (I would say sci-fi is the 2nd categorization for T2--I wouldn't consider it drama or horror by any stretch of the imagination).

But yeah. . .I don't even need to read the cited article to know how bad an idea T5 would be. T3 and T:Salvation were unwatchably bad. But, if there's money to be made. . .

I was hyped until I learnt that Justin Lin is the Fast & the Furious guy. Then it became apparent that it really will be just another cash-in rather than an attempt to tell a really worthwhile story.

I want a prequel to T1 and T2, set in 2029 and showing the events leading up to the time incursions of those films. And I want Timothy Olyphant as Kyle Reese. Arnie really should only be providing his likeness, maybe his voice though I don't see why even that would be needed, so they can CGI his 2 T-800s going back through time.

Yes, please!

However, I really don't like Timothy Olyphant. I always hate him in everything I see him in. Whenever his character gets screen time I always seem to have a general feeling of disgust.
:dunno I'm not sure even as to why.

I like Olyphant quite a lot (currently watching Justified on DVD :D ), and I could sorta see him as Reese. But I think the kid from Salvation did a pretty good job of imitating Biehn, and would be a better choice. And wouldn't your idea really fit as a sequel to T:Salvation, a-dev?

I like Olyphant quite a lot (currently watching Justified on DVD :D ), and I could sorta see him as Reese. But I think the kid from Salvation did a pretty good job of imitating Biehn, and would be a better choice. And wouldn't your idea really fit as a sequel to T:Salvation, a-dev?

I suppose it could if you don't mind a film that acknowledges the events (and certain stupidities) of T4....though I'd prefer a film that just assumes a clean slate and only what is known and told in T1 and T2.

I suspect they would just bastardize those stories anyway in the pursuit of a superficial money grabbing move. Personally, I'm happy with what we've got, but would be glad to see another good story associated with this franchise. Maybe Cameron will consider coming back some day a la Scott with the Alien prequel. . .but I doubt it.

Back