Terminator Genisys (July 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Terminator 5 - Shooting Jan 2014

I post a brilliant random GIF / dialogue combo.. & it gets ignored.

I'm heartbroken guys, that was champagne. :monkey2

I've always held the two of them about equally. They're both directed by Cameron, they're written by the same people, same filmmakers are involved, Arnold is back, Linda Hamilton is back, most of the cast and crew are back from the first, Stan Winston, etc. etc.

Then by your own logic you must hold TDKR in the exact same regard as BB and TDK. It had all the same cast and crew right? Must be as good then. I guess Spider-Man 3 is also just as good as 1 and 2.

I just don't understand that. If T2 is "overrated" (hate that term along with underrated) then surely The Terminator is as well from all the fruitcakes that constantly pit the two of them against each other. What makes T2 so overrated? The fact that so many people enjoy it? The merchandising? I don't understand.

It wasn't until I came to Sideshowfreaks years back that I found people that are actually annoyed with T2 and hold the first in such higher regard. For me personally, I've always held the two of them about equally. They're both directed by Cameron, they're written by the same people, same filmmakers are involved, Arnold is back, Linda Hamilton is back, most of the cast and crew are back from the first, Stan Winston, etc. etc. I just never understood people that constantly rip Uncle Bob or always try and detract from Judgement Day and how great it is.

When I see that crap, I instantly want to rip the first one to pieces even though I love the damn film and it holds a very nostalgic place in my heart. I just don't understand why people on here always try and pit the two of them against each other like there can "only be one".

I don't think it's a matter of "there can be only one".
Speaking purely from my point of view, T2 is not a very imaginative film, it just takes most of the elements of the first one and just makes them bigger with better FX.
Also, it suffers a lot with Cameron's usual "finesse" in making his points.

I can't say I'm annoyed by the movie, it's just that I don't see why people think it's so special. It's a good sci-fi action flick, but I think (despite all its limitations) that T1 is a better sci-fi action flick.

T2 is not a very imaginative film, it just takes most of the elements of the first one and just makes them bigger with better FX.

T2 betters all of the first Terminator film's effects, visuals and action sequences. That's literally why Cameron and Co. came back, to make a bigger, badder Terminator film (that and the clamoring for one and all that $$$$$$). I thought they succeeded.

It expands on the story. In the original, they cut out all of the "No Fate" scenes with Kyle Reese and Sarah where they planned to prevent the future from taking place.

In T2, that's the back bone of the story, going to meet Dyson, take out Cyberdyne, etc. That's all new and well done. I don't see how that isn't "imaginative" or new. We never saw Skynet or John Connor in the first, the second introduces us to them. We get to see the results of Sarah's great arc between the first and second film. We get to see a bigger and better Judgement Day. Arnold is arguably better as the T-800 the second time around, even if he isn't the film's villain. They somehow managed to expand on a character that was pretty much a one note cyborg. The T-1000 puts the original 1984 Terminator to shame with it's MO and kills alone.

The criticisms are superficial to me. If you like one, I don't see how you couldn't possibly like two, and vice versa. Now the other ones, yeah, I definitely get that, I feel the same way. But these gripes against T2? What else would people have wanted out of a sequel?

T2's John scenes are almost as bad as Episode 1's Anakin scenes. I have a fanedit of Episode I where most of Anakin's dialog has been cut. It's a huge improvement. I need one for T2 now.

Everyone brings up that T2 is basically a remake of the first. In the concept yes and in the way many things play out. But unlike so many other remakes it was good at being a remake. Making the original Terminator the protector was a good move - the only move. What were they gonna do make him the baddie again? Then the film would be even more of a remake. T2 also took up the idea deleted from T1 of the heroes proactively attempting to stop the war from happening.

Khev did bring up elsewhere the good idea that they could have actually had the T-800 kill people before John Connor told him not to, that doing so could have brought in a harder edge to the film. I'm not unhappy that they didn't go this way but I do acknowledge that it could have been interesting and really put to bed the idea that uncle Bob is a wimp.

But what we got is still good, it went down well with most people and still does with most people.

edit- also everything Difabio said in his last post.

Last edited:

If the Edward Furlong John Connor is terrible, then what does that make Linda Hamilton in the first film?

"Guard it for me big buns." Her whole helpless demeanor crying for "Kyyyyyle". She isn't exactly likeable and she's a bit annoying if we want to get overly critical.

I've seen terrible child actors, but I don't see what's so terrible about John in T2. He starts out as a 10 year old wise ***, punk but has that authority that makes it seem believable that when he matures and grows up, he'll be a "great military leader". Or are we really going to crack on him because the actor was going through puberty during post production. His crying seemed real and genuine as did the dynamic with Sarah and the Terminator.

He's really as bad as this? Really? Furlong didn't even have acting experience prior to T2 like this kid.

[ame]https://youtu.be/i909Rm4NQN8[/ame]

That's rough.

T2 betters all of the first Terminator film's effects, visuals and action sequences. That's literally why Cameron and Co. came back, to make a bigger, badder Terminator film (that and the clamoring for one and all that $$$$$$). I thought they succeeded.

It expands on the story. In the original, they cut out all of the "No Fate" scenes with Kyle Reese and Sarah where they planned to prevent the future from taking place.

In T2, that's the back bone of the story, going to meet Dyson, take out Cyberdyne, etc. That's all new and well done. I don't see how that isn't "imaginative" or new. We never saw Skynet or John Connor in the first, the second introduces us to them. We get to see the results of Sarah's great arc between the first and second film. We get to see a bigger and better Judgement Day. Arnold is arguably better as the T-800 the second time around, even if he isn't the film's villain. They somehow managed to expand on a character that was pretty much a one note cyborg. The T-1000 puts the original 1984 Terminator to shame with it's MO and kills alone.

The criticisms are superficial to me. If you like one, I don't see how you couldn't possibly like two, and vice versa. Now the other ones, yeah, I definitely get that, I feel the same way. But these gripes against T2? What else would people have wanted out of a sequel?

All very good points, and I just want to point out I never said T2 was bad or that I didn't like it, I just said I think T1 is better.

^ Same here. T2 is one of my favorite movies. But T1 is higher on that list.

I just don't understand that. If T2 is "overrated" (hate that term along with underrated) then surely The Terminator is as well from all the fruitcakes that constantly pit the two of them against each other. What makes T2 so overrated? The fact that so many people enjoy it? The merchandising? I don't understand.

It wasn't until I came to Sideshowfreaks years back that I found people that are actually annoyed with T2 and hold the first in such higher regard. For me personally, I've always held the two of them about equally. They're both directed by Cameron, they're written by the same people, same filmmakers are involved, Arnold is back, Linda Hamilton is back, most of the cast and crew are back from the first, Stan Winston, etc. etc. The only real difference is the change from Orion to Carolco, but that's hardly a noteworthy change. I just never understood people that constantly rip Uncle Bob or always try and detract from Judgement Day and how great it is.

When I see that crap, I instantly want to rip the first one to pieces even though I love the damn film and it holds a very nostalgic place in my heart. I just don't understand why people on here always try and pit the two of them against each other like there can "only be one".

I find Cameron in General to be overrated. Other then T1 and Aliens I find his films to be more hype then anything else.

I like T2. I guess I call it overrated because there are so many who think of it as better then T1.. But I admit that is not fair for me to say. It's all opinions. I just think T2 is basically a remake of the first but not nearly as exciting. The low budget of the first gave it a gritty feel and I like that it is more of a Horror film. T2 is too glossy for me and nothing in it is very exciting to me. Cameron was better at doing action scenes when he had smaller budgets (T1. Aliens) then larger ones, T2, Avatar, True Lies... At least for my tastes anyways.

T2 betters all of the first Terminator film's effects, visuals and action sequences.

But these gripes against T2? What else would people have wanted out of a sequel?

But it didn't better the story or the intensity of the first.

Something more original then what we got and a better John Conner.

If the Edward Furlong John Connor is terrible, then what does that make Linda Hamilton in the first film?

"Guard it for me big buns." Her whole helpless demeanor crying for "Kyyyyyle". She isn't exactly likeable and she's a bit annoying if we want to get overly critical.

I've seen terrible child actors, but I don't see what's so terrible about John in T2. He starts out as a 10 year old wise ***, punk but has that authority that makes it seem believable that when he matures and grows up, he'll be a "great military leader". Or are we really going to crack on him because the actor was going through puberty during post production. His crying seemed real and genuine as did the dynamic with Sarah and the Terminator.

He's really as bad as this? Really? Furlong didn't even have acting experience prior to T2 like this kid.

https://youtu.be/i909Rm4NQN8

That's rough.

Sarah was Likable in T1. I just wanted to Punch Ed Furlong. It was as much about his look and his character as it was about his acting

Don't get me started on the crap fest that is the PT :)

And it is obvious that Furlong had no acting experience before T2. But Like I said it was not his acting that I disliked. I just did not care for the character.. I did not Like Sarah that much in T2.. Her whole "You don't know what it's like to create" Speech is cringe inducing. I really only liked Michael Dyson. I felt bad for him. Oh and I liked both Terminators also :)

I did not Like Sarah that much in T2.. Her whole "You don't know what it's like to create" Speech is cringe inducing.

Wasn't that pretty much acknowledged as such within the film with John interrupting her? I could have sworn I read that or heard it said in the DVD extras.

Yeah, she was meant to sound like a tree hugging, feminist crazy there.

That whole "men like you" speech isn't out of character at all and John shutting her up is just as appropriate.

I'll give it a chance. Just bring it back to the old days of T1 and T2. No cheesy lines. Just good old fashion sci-fi killing machines!

T1 is good for that slow build up of dread and helplessness whereas T2 is ***** to the wall brilliant action and I love both for those reasons.
Kinda like the first two Alien movies actually.

Back