threezero is expanding the 1:6 GI JOE line for 2022!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completely agree. As much as I've liked the sideshow figures, no way was I going to pay the current prices when I got mine. The current price for SS Baroness is just way too crazy and I was never fond of that headsculpt. I much preferred the one on the PF.

I got lucky on Mercari a couple years ago when someone was selling their SS figures for just not too much above retail. The only one I payed too much for was V2 Cobra Commander :lol

Definitely looking forward to what 3Z Destro and hopefully Zartan end up looking like. Something along the lines of the Classified figures would be cool.

I do hope that if/when 3Z gets to Cobra Commander that they'll do the chrome on the headsculpt. I'd hope that they'd included the hooded headscupt too but 3Z isn't known for including a second headsculpt with their figures as far as I'm aware. Would probably have to wait for a variant for that.
I started scanning eBay for Baroness a few months ago and she regularly bids out at between $250 and $350 so no way am I paying that for an old SS figure even though she does look decent. I was able to get V2 Commander recently for $180 and that’s pushing it for him.

I think I’m most interested in seeing how 3Z designs Destro since I’m not too crazy about what SS did with him. Zartan will be another one I’m curious to see what they do with.

Right now I’m tempted to snag a SS Bludd since I see him going for around $125 from time to time.

--

Based on the unveiled pictures so far, I'm wondering how/what you're going to "futz"/modify?

To me, my minor caveat is the choice of the sub-machine gun, but it's not a deal breaker or a major issue.
Looking at the new pics, not as much as suspected (hoped?!). Body, Sub-machine gun, boots, and some of the straps are on my potential list of things to do. The pack without straps will probably bug me until I fix it too. The guns only bother me because they’re ancient ( a Tokarev? Really?!?!). The chest straps are surprisingly not high on my list of things to do.

Last edited:
--

Based on the unveiled pictures so far, I'm wondering how/what you're going to "futz"/modify?

To me, my minor caveat is the choice of the sub-machine gun, but it's not a deal breaker or a major issue.
That's the first thing getting swapped on mine. The 1911 is a tad old school, but I used to carry one and parts of military still use them, so it could pass. Depends on what's available.

Are you looking at my WIPs shelf? How dare you!
--

That's what happens when you're not paying attention to this guy.

1649353607488.png

I can't put my finger on it (maybe head size?), but something still seems pretty off about this figure to me. Having said that, Firefly is my 2nd favorite Cobra (first favorite if you don't consider Zartan part of Cobra), and this is probably the most toy/cartoon accurate version we're gonna get. So, I'm probably gonna get him. I have the SSC one, but was never a fan of the liberties they took with that figure.

I have the SSC one, but was never a fan of the liberties they took with that figure.
--

I remember when he was unveiled and the critically tumultuous uproar that ensued due to the liberties taken with design.

Sideshow salvaged what they could by including the camouflage head sculpt, but that was it. The design was explained as a modernization more or less.

For me, the camouflage head sculpt was fine considering the perspective of how back then the original concept/design from the 80s would not age/interpret well.

Over the years, I believe acknowledgment and respect to the concept/design from the 80s for the majority of JOE and COBRA characters were reinforced asides from when the line jumped the shark with ridiculous color schemes as the 80s ended and the 90s started.

I don't expect threezero's iterations to appeal to all GI JOE ARAH collectors given the criticisms thus far for Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow along with the ongoing criticisms for Roadblock.

I hope threezero is reading the constructive criticisms online and understand the figurative, literal, and nuanced viewpoints from GI JOE ARAH collectors like us.

Maybe this is a "do over" learning from where Sideshow dropped the ball? I don't know. For now, I'm enjoying what's being offered because it takes me back to how I eventually discovered the 1:6 hobby by way of collecting and playing with the 3.75" figures, vehicles, etc. from my youth.

Yeah, there are so many different types of collectors out there that no company is going to satisfy everyone no matter how hard they try. I love what Super7 is doing with cartoon accurate toys, but some won't dig those, and prefer hyper articulated, modernized and detailed interpretations instead. ThreeZero has its own approach here and I'm just appreciative that they are giving it a shot, even if it's not exactly what I would see in a perfect world.

I can't put my finger on it (maybe head size?), but something still seems pretty off about this figure to me. Having said that, Firefly is my 2nd favorite Cobra (first favorite if you don't consider Zartan part of Cobra), and this is probably the most toy/cartoon accurate version we're gonna get. So, I'm probably gonna get him. I have the SSC one, but was never a fan of the liberties they took with that figure.

I dunno guys, I think the TZ Firefly looks like he was ripped right out of the comic book with awesome modern updates. The blue and black camo, the Cobra emblem. Sideshow's Firefly is/was good. The TZ Firefly is awesome and better imo. I'm definitely buying him to support the line and I've been out of buying 1/6 for a while.

I showed the images to a friend of mine that doesn't follow Gi Joe and he said the figure looked awesome and like some tactical killer/nightmare. TZ made Firefly look modern, sinister, and quality. I'm glad there's no plastic chest as he looks more lifelike and just how he should. I'll probably buy the Super 7 Firefly too but I'm glad we have some realistic 1/6 from Joe/Cobra to collect again. I'll buy the TZ ones that look awesome and well designed and I'll pass on the ones that substitute plastic for fabric. Baroness is the only one who will need a plastic chest plate but only as her armor. The rest should be fabric mostly (and non peeling fabric). All in all, Firefly is looking pretty great to me

You're looking at things from your "wants" and not a business perspective. Baroness is an A list and would sell like hot cakes. Threezero needs big sellers to pay for the license. Firefly is A list too. Zartan and Destro and Commander all A listers to help pay the license. Make those A listers for everyone and then do B and C list in smaller quantities. I'd love to see a crimson guard and trooper, viper etc down the line. ThreeZero Baroness could blow Sideshow's out of the water. Sideshow's is gorgoeus but things can be improved with todays sculpt technology and a much needed update on weapons. Sideshow's weapons are VERY dated. Threezero need big hits to keep the line going, so I'll be all in if they look good, current, and not cheap. TZ Firefly is a stunning improvement and a definite purchase for me
They need to do a combination of both…. Gi joe doesn’t have new collectors … if you rehash all the same figures a percentage of collectors won’t buy them and then they won’t make the money needed to continue the line. Agree they need the A list but they need to mix in the B list out the gate because the B list is really an A list that Ssc never got around to doing. A BAT would sell instantly, Serpentor would be a monster… give us Scarlet before Baroness

They need to do a combination of both…. Gi joe doesn’t have new collectors … if you rehash all the same figures a percentage of collectors won’t buy them and then they won’t make the money needed to continue the line. Agree they need the A list but they need to mix in the B list out the gate because the B list is really an A list that Ssc never got around to doing. A BAT would sell instantly, Serpentor would be a monster… give us Scarlet before Baroness
--

I don't know.

The appeal of the figures by 3Z is targeted to new and "old" collectors alike.

Old timers like us who actually grew up with the 3.75" figures, etc. and got into the 1:6 hobby are the core customers for the figures while new collectors are into the 1:6 hobby, but not necessarily GI JOE or maybe familiar with the characters are also targeted as well.

Your POV is as a diehard/loyal GI JOE ARAH who knows the source material among other things.

Agree but I speak to a lot of ship owners… they all say the same … very limited new collectors for the 80s stuff … marvel and DC is where the expansion is

i want the lime to do well and improve with time… the releases so far have been decent and both new reveals look like great versions

I'm just sitting back and enjoying it! G.I. Joe was dead in the water to me and in the last 2 years, I've gotten 6" Classified Joes and now 1/6 has returned.

I speculate that 3Z will do any and every figure (including variants) that they think will and prove to sell well. I think they will do the main core (hehe, corps). Probably no GRUNT or DIAL TONE but Low-Light? Sure. 3Z does not seem averse to taking a little risk...and I love 'em for it.

I'm just sitting back and enjoying it! G.I. Joe was dead in the water to me and in the last 2 years, I've gotten 6" Classified Joes and now 1/6 has returned.

I speculate that 3Z will do any and every figure (including variants) that they think will and prove to sell well. I think they will do the main core (hehe, corps). Probably no GRUNT or DIAL TONE but Low-Light? Sure. 3Z does not seem averse to taking a little risk...and I love 'em for it.
--

My dream set from 3Z is a limited edition set of the original JOEs from the first release in 1982 in their classic design minus Scarlett and Snake Eyes.

Breaker
Clutch
Flash
Grand slam
Grunt
Hawk
Rock’n Roll
Short-Fuze
Stalker
Steeler
Zap

The struggle with the BAT is if it would necessitate it's own unique body type. Switchable mounts at the middle of the forearm. Then the chest area where you have the internal mechanics/gears/electronics, etc.

Then the issue is how many variations of the BAT can you release to justify the R&D on that body type.

Still believe a basic black balaclava, a Cobra infantry helmet, a blue uniform and basic black boots would be a great kit. You don't get the return on a boxed set, but if you trigger army builders out there, then you have a better chance to engage them at the completest level for the entire line.

The struggle with the BAT is if it would necessitate it's own unique body type. Switchable mounts at the middle of the forearm. Then the chest area where you have the internal mechanics/gears/electronics, etc.

Then the issue is how many variations of the BAT can you release to justify the R&D on that body type.

Still believe a basic black balaclava, a Cobra infantry helmet, a blue uniform and basic black boots would be a great kit. You don't get the return on a boxed set, but if you trigger army builders out there, then you have a better chance to engage them at the completest level for the entire line.
--

3Z when they first started did produce a few "razor blade" offerings (i.e., uniform with accessories & weapons set) for use with whatever 1:6 body. I purchased their French GIGN set from way back and used it with an Ultimate Soldier body/figure.

Instead of a COBRA Trooper, Officer, etc., the basic COBRA "grunts" could be as a fully loaded uniform with accessories & weapons set like what VERYHOT TOYS produced. 3Z could even do JOE "green shirt" sets.

Back