threezero is expanding the 1:6 GI JOE line for 2022!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this review @mistermark :duff So glad that they chromed Cobra Commander's helmet in the final production piece! Makes my life easier now that I don't have to worry about chroming it myself. Hopefully we get more than just Commando Snake Eyes for this year
SDCC may reveal something. We're due a Baroness or Zartan or at least Baroness and Lady jaye. Here's hoping!

Ok, I have Destro and the Commander in hand. I built a silly 3 minute diorama for a quick photo shoot -- although I won't display them that way -- but I feet it adds life to the figures. Everything in dio was bought on ebay or Toyanxiety etc. Cheesy, but fun to play sometimes. Anyway. I'll try to be brief in my review...

Destro 9.5/10. His only issue is you'll need a hair dryer as his hands are VERY tough to get on. They don't break the pegs but they could be softer. Everything looks awesome and is just how Destro SHOULD look. The suit case is brittle plastic and so you'll need a hair dryer if you want him to pose his hand with it as the handle could snap without warming the hand first. .5 point comes off because he could be taller and I wish they gave him a similar Body to Firefly but I really don't care, as Destro looks awesome in hand. A classy and accurate yet modern take on Destro that blows Sideshow's version out of the water (no offense to anyone that still love SS Destro--he was great, but we've come a long way).

Cobra Commander 9/10. He looks awesome in person. His outfit is great. The cape works beautifully but I tried it and it takes up space and I prefer my Commander without a cape. All in all fantastic figure, but again use a hair dryer for these tough hands. He's VERY similar to Sideshow, yet much improved. Much better face shield and helmet size. I also actually like that 3Z makes the holsters, straps etc plastic as Sideshow's were always much too fragile for posing. Commander's hands are much easier to get on their pegs than Destro. Finally, his shiny scepter and ruby studded knife look great and sparkle. You'll need to be gentle with his pleather gun holster though. 1 point off for not having a hooded portrait but sadly, I don't think they were allowed to make one even if they wanted to.

That's my take. See pics for all those that want these guys and decide for yourself. I'm very happy with them! I really want Zartan or Baroness or Flint, Duke, Scarlett next, so here's hoping.

Lastly, a comparison pic of the old Sideshow Cobra team. They'[re awesome too but if I had to pick, I'd go with Threezero. They look ripped right out of the comics or ARAH even. Hope you all get your 3Z figs soon...

Attachments

• cobra3.jpg
    cobra3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • cobra4.jpg
    cobra4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • cobra5.jpg
    cobra5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • cobra6.jpg
    cobra6.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • cobra1.jpg
    cobra1.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 0
Ok, I have Destro and the Commander in hand. I built a silly 3 minute diorama for a quick photo shoot -- although I won't display them that way -- but I feet it adds life to the figures. Everything in dio was bought on ebay or Toyanxiety etc. Cheesy, but fun to play sometimes. Anyway. I'll try to be brief in my review...

Destro 9.5/10. His only issue is you'll need a hair dryer as his hands are VERY tough to get on. They don't break the pegs but they could be softer. Everything looks awesome and is just how Destro SHOULD look. The suit case is brittle plastic and so you'll need a hair dryer if you want him to pose his hand with it as the handle could snap without warming the hand first. .5 point comes off because he could be taller and I wish they gave him a similar Body to Firefly but I really don't care, as Destro looks awesome in hand. A classy and accurate yet modern take on Destro that blows Sideshow's version out of the water (no offense to anyone that still love SS Destro--he was great, but we've come a long way).

Cobra Commander 9/10. He looks awesome in person. His outfit is great. The cape works beautifully but I tried it and it takes up space and I prefer my Commander without a cape. All in all fantastic figure, but again use a hair dryer for these tough hands. He's VERY similar to Sideshow, yet much improved. Much better face shield and helmet size. I also actually like that 3Z makes the holsters, straps etc plastic as Sideshow's were always much too fragile for posing. Commander's hands are much easier to get on their pegs than Destro. Finally, his shiny scepter and ruby studded knife look great and sparkle. You'll need to be gentle with his pleather gun holster though. 1 point off for not having a hooded portrait but sadly, I don't think they were allowed to make one even if they wanted to.

That's my take. See pics for all those that want these guys and decide for yourself. I'm very happy with them! I really want Zartan or Baroness or Flint, Duke, Scarlett next, so here's hoping.

Lastly, a comparison pic of the old Sideshow Cobra team. They'[re awesome too but if I had to pick, I'd go with Threezero. They look ripped right out of the comics or ARAH even. Hope you all get your 3Z figs soon...

They look spectacular congrats! The only thing I like more about Sideshow's is maybe the Firefly headsculpt.

Nice. I didn't think much about these when they went up for order, but in hand they look really damn good. They avoid the issues with the previous figures in the line of either having really wonky proportions, bad design decisions, or both. These are close enough to the source that I can appreciate them, seeing the final product.

I love the pass this line gets but if it were under any other brand, yall'd be pickin apart with a fine comb...

This place is wack lol

Nice. I didn't think much about these when they went up for order, but in hand they look really damn good. They avoid the issues with the previous figures in the line of either having really wonky proportions, bad design decisions, or both. These are close enough to the source that I can appreciate them, seeing the final product.
Destro is especially spectacular imo out of all the ones they've released but all of them are fantastic. The only one I didn't pick up was Storm Shadow. I hope they do an all fabric version of him. But yes, awesome and way less fragile than the Sideshow Joe's and awesome in person.

I love the pass this line gets but if it were under any other brand, yall'd be pickin apart with a fine comb...

This place is wack lol
It's pretty clear you haven't been around for a lot of the talk about this line. Many of us have been disappointed with varying aspects of these figures with each release. We might be overall pleased with the outcome, but that doesn't mean we don't recognize their shortcomings. That said, you also have to remember that these figures don't cost what HT, InArt, JND or even some some third party figures cost; so, many of us who are collecting this line don't hold them to the same standard as a $200+ figure. It would be unrealistic and quite unfair to do so, really. ThreeZero figures don't even come with display stands afterall :lol

It makes sense that 3Z would be the ones to make these, though, with their figures being on the less expensive side than most in this scale considering many GI Joe collectors in my experience are more about the smaller scale, cheaper Hasbro figures who see even 3Z figures as too expensive when they could just buy X amount of Classified or Super7 figures for the same amount of money spent.

I've been very vocal about my disappointments with the bodies on these figures in particular. Many of us hate that the Storm Shadow figures have a sculpted rubber/soft plastic torso instead of being soft goods. Same with Roadblock. I've tried a lot of the most widely available 1/6 bodies on these figures to try to make them work with pretty much no good outcome. I've had to resort to frankensteining one from multiple spare parts to get the proportions I was after for Snake Eyes. Same will be the case for Storm Shadow once I can get my hands on some L&T Thor Arms, theoretically. This new Cobra Commander also looks like it's going to need a body swap at the very least along with maybe some retailoring of the sleeves as they appear to be a little oversized/baggy.

It's not that we give this line a pass. We see them for what they are and decide if we still want to collect the line or not. For myself, I feel as though I can most likely polish them up with a bit of work; but, I constantly go back and forth on if I want to continue the line or just give up on it and sell what I have in the same way I have with the original Sideshow Joes. If I can't get the figures to look how I want, then there's no point in having them.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear you haven't been around for a lot of the talk about this line. Many of us have been disappointed with varying aspects of these figures with each release. We might be overall pleased with the outcome, but that doesn't mean we don't recognize their shortcomings. That said, you also have to remember that these figures don't cost what HT, InArt, JND or even some some third party figures cost; so, many of us who are collecting this line don't hold them to the same standard as a $200+ figure. It would be unrealistic and quite unfair to do so, really. ThreeZero figures don't even come with display stands afterall :lol

It makes sense that 3Z would be the ones to make these, though, with their figures being on the less expensive side than most in this scale considering many GI Joe collectors in my experience are more about the smaller scale, cheaper Hasbro figures who see even 3Z figures as too expensive when they could just buy X amount of Classified figures for the same amount of money spent.

I've been very vocal about my disappointments with the bodies on these figures in particular. Many of us hate that the Storm Shadow figures have a sculpted rubber/soft plastic torso instead of being soft goods. Same with Roadblock. I've tried a lot of the most widely available 1/6 bodies on these figures to try to make them work with pretty much no good outcome. I've had to resort to frankensteining one from multiple spare parts to get the proportions I was after for Snake Eyes. Same will be the case for Storm Shadow once I can get my hands on some L&T Thor Arms, theoretically. This new Cobra Commander also looks like it's going to need a body swap at the very least along with maybe some retailoring of the sleeves as they appear to be a little oversized/baggy.

It's not that we give this line a pass. We see them for what they are and decide if we still want to collect the line or not. For myself, I feel as though I can most likely polish them up with a bit of work; but, I constantly go back and forth on if I want to continue the line or just give up on it and sell what I have in the same way I have with the original Sideshow Joes. If I can't get the figures to look how I want, then there's no point in having them.
Exactly. I've never considered these to be compared to Hot Toys. These are based on a cartoon and comics, and for what they are, they're incredible figures. I think 3Z had a learning curve with them but ever since Firefly, they've knocked it out of the park each time. The first few figures were sadly lacking and we all knew it, but aside from some tough wrist pegs with Destro, I can state that Firefly, Destro and Commander are awesome in hand and I couldn't be more happy with them.

I remember when I opened Sideshow Destro and being completely underwhelmed. Awesome accessories but the figure was just... not great. Not Destro. The 3Z's might need some futzing and expert photography, but the latest figures are awesome and on a detolf with Hot Toys, Blitzway etc they hold their own as COMIC style 1/6 figs beautifully. They'd look great near BTAS 1/6 or even Hot Toys new comic style collection etc. Night all! :)

I just wish they would speed up the releases. At 2 figures per year, not counting variant, I feel this line will be dead before we assemble any kinda of reasonable team

Crap! I need that Destro...how is the leather on the suit?
Totally fine, flexible and zero issues. I'm not going to put him in crazy poses regardless as he looks good with his fist hands down or just holding his guns. Careful with the suitcase as its brittle plastic and the gun holster is similar to Sideshow Baroness in that it's plastic so be gentle with it and other than that, he's pretty perfect and you'll be thrilled with him, I'm sure :)

Must say ThreeZero did a great job with these two. Might be why they are the only Joe figures they released that were sold out before the release date.
And when you consider that these are licensed figures for 200$, can't complain much.
Would just have liked a set of gesturing hands for each, and a slightly taller body for Destro, but the rest of the accessories are great !
Tailoring is great and the sculpting is impressive.

I think we are all waiting for the usual classics like Zartan, Baroness, Flint, etc.
Personally, I would like to see other main characters like Tomax / Xamot, Serpentor, Scarlet, Shipwreck.... Main characters not produced 100 times before.

Back