1/6 The Mandalorian - 1/6th scale Scout Trooper Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As has been discussed, the lame-dude look of the Bikers in Mando was intentional - they were mostly played for comic relief. :dunno

Not sure why everyone is discussing this as if something went wrong - my guess is it was SUPPOSED to look like a flabby older Biker with beer gut and diaper. It's all hanging around his waist in the show with his knee pads upside down and way too high.

It's almost like people haven't seen the show. These are NOT badass ROTJ biker scouts - this is like Seth Rogen and James Franco as Biker Scouts, and the outfits reflect that.:slap
I d9 t agree at all. Even if it was suppose to played as comic relief, it doesn’t dismiss the fact that fat cat Disney jus didn’t want to pony up with the money and make costumes, but instead hit up people in the 501st etc, while the truth is, Lucas would never allow such a thing with such low standards as what this show has delivered.

I d9 t agree at all. Even if it was suppose to played as comic relief, it doesn’t dismiss the fact that fat cat Disney jus didn’t want to pony up with the money and make costumes, but instead hit up people in the 501st etc, while the truth is, Lucas would never allow such a thing with such low standards as what this show has delivered.

From what's I've heard 501st Legion has a very high standard of costume accuracy ?? So not sure if that holds up.

I d9 t agree at all. Even if it was suppose to played as comic relief, it doesn?t dismiss the fact that fat cat Disney jus didn?t want to pony up with the money and make costumes, but instead hit up people in the 501st etc, while the truth is, Lucas would never allow such a thing with such low standards as what this show has delivered.

501st have some of the strictest "on screen" guidelines to become approved...

This was a wardrobe team's interpretation, or an artistic direction as Talibane mentioned earlier, as "remnant" armor not up to standard imperial issue loadout.

Here is the 501st CRL for an ROTJ Scout:
https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TB_Scout_trooper
TB_bikerscout_full.jpg

If you don't check these boxes you don't get approved. There are still people who costume less par versions, but they aren't 501st.

You know, it's funny that I can just google this 501st CRLs and it would give my wardrobe / prop building team the entire recipe for a perfect onscreen Star Wars trooper.... the fact this information has been vetted and exists online for anyone to reference, leads me to believe what Talibane mentioned, that it was their interpretation of a fallen empire scout. Maybe even freelance for hire Pathfinders working for the empire to help find their target. The chest armor says it all... they are not standard issue. Maybe they got that v2 armor amiright

If it wouldn't be for being able to post my opinion, watch people get angry and laugh about things... what would the internet even be for?

I think it's important the comparison is made so people understand the difference from an OT trooper and this Mando series trooper. So I don't find this to be nitpicking. Lots of dough being dropped.... we gotta stick together holmes, blood in blood out.

Man I agree with you 100%. I love Talibane and everyone on this forum but I am always careful about respecting opinions.

Now that the cats out of the bag, the Mando Scout translated terribly to 1/6 - but for some reason was ultra cool in the series. :dunno Its unfortunate as the Scout trooper occupies some of my fondest memories as a kid. Although we called him BIKER SCOUT baby!!!!!

As has been discussed, the lame-dude look of the Bikers in Mando was intentional - they were mostly played for comic relief. :dunno

Not sure why everyone is discussing this as if something went wrong - my guess is it was SUPPOSED to look like a flabby older Biker with beer gut and diaper. It's all hanging around his waist in the show with his knee pads upside down and way too high.

It's almost like people haven't seen the show. These are NOT badass ROTJ biker scouts - this is like Seth Rogen and James Franco as Biker Scouts, and the outfits reflect that.:slap

SPOILER: I haven't seen the show, you're right!

It's almost like we're commenting on the aesthetic of the figure which is all you can do right now. It isn't a criticism of Hot Toys, it's of the lame design, whether that's what they were going for in the show as you say doesn't matter, it looks bad!

The truth is people are just mad HT made a Mando version of the biker scout first. It’s (mostly) accurate to the show - which most people are such sticklers for... except now because they wanted it to be a RotJ version. That’s the reason for the hate. If they made the ROTJ version first and phoned in a dusty repaint for a Mando version, people would be upset it wasn’t accurate to the show. A perfectly fine RotJ version exists. Sideshow made it years ago. If you need a RotJ fix, get that figure. HT will make a RotJ version eventually. They’d be insane not to. Will it take some time? Absolutely. They are a business and they want to sell as much of this as they can. When this has run its course, HT will double down and release the RotJ version.

There is nothing to panic about. Enjoy this one for what it is. If that’s not your thing, no worries. Just wait a few years and the version you really want will be made. If you can’t wait, track down Sideshow’s version. It’s one of their best figures and the exclusive edition adds the nice big rifle for him.

Mandalorian is the most agreeable Star Wars material since Rogue One. HT wants to capitalize on that enjoyment. Look at the lack of TRoS figures. Just Rey, Kylo, and a couple of troopers for one or the biggest films of last year. This little 8 episode TV show is getting much more love from HT for a reason. The OT is what got people to love Star Wars. Rogue One and Mandalorian have that flavor of the OT fans have really been craving. Are either perfect? No! But I’m glad for both of them and welcome them into both the saga as a whole and into my collection. The OT stuff will never go away. It make take longer to circle back around to it, but without new additions to the property, the likelihood of getting new OT merch could eventually decline to the point of nothing.

The truth is people are just mad HT made a Mando version of the biker scout first. It’s (mostly) accurate to the show - which most people are such sticklers for... except now because they wanted it to be a RotJ version. That’s the reason for the hate. If they made the ROTJ version first and phoned in a dusty repaint for a Mando version, people would be upset it wasn’t accurate to the show. A perfectly fine RotJ version exists. Sideshow made it years ago. If you need a RotJ fix, get that figure. HT will make a RotJ version eventually. They’d be insane not to. Will it take some time? Absolutely. They are a business and they want to sell as much of this as they can. When this has run its course, HT will double down and release the RotJ version.

There is nothing to panic about. Enjoy this one for what it is. If that’s not your thing, no worries. Just wait a few years and the version you really want will be made. If you can’t wait, track down Sideshow’s version. It’s one of their best figures and the exclusive edition adds the nice big rifle for him.

Mandalorian is the most agreeable Star Wars material since Rogue One. HT wants to capitalize on that enjoyment. Look at the lack of TRoS figures. Just Rey, Kylo, and a couple of troopers for one or the biggest films of last year. This little 8 episode TV show is getting much more love from HT for a reason. The OT is what got people to love Star Wars. Rogue One and Mandalorian have that flavor of the OT fans have really been craving. Are either perfect? No! But I’m glad for both of them and welcome them into both the saga as a whole and into my collection. The OT stuff will never go away. It make take longer to circle back around to it, but without new additions to the property, the likelihood of getting new OT merch could eventually decline to the point of nothing.

I agree about the show - in 8 eps it captured more "true SW" than the entire ST combined.

But I bought that SSC Biker figure and sold it within a month or two. Highly inaccurate helmet, errors all over the armor (the knee armor isn't even close,) tiny thong-bikini codpiece, pistol 1/3 underscaled, body unable to have arms hang properly. One of the worst troopers Sideshow has produced - I'm still bitter over that one.

I ended up having to build a more accurate custom Biker scout figure and bike, which I was hoping to replace with a HT version. Then this "burnt in the oven" HT Biker shows up with his cosplayer armor and diaper and I'm like... ugh.:lol

Man I agree with you 100%. I love Talibane and everyone on this forum but I am always careful about respecting opinions.

Now that the cats out of the bag, the Mando Scout translated terribly to 1/6 - but for some reason was ultra cool in the series. :dunno Its unfortunate as the Scout trooper occupies some of my fondest memories as a kid. Although we called him BIKER SCOUT baby!!!!!

You have no idea! I was so excited when I saw the scouts come on screen, I was all like FINALLY some normal star wars things to enjoy. That's what I actually like the most about the Mandalorian, it can bring new stuff but also just spread on thick the old stuff we love; an abandoned AT-ST one episode, some beat up stormies another, and then out of nowhere a pair of scouts.... seeing scouts on speederbikes again on the screen was awesome. I even enjoyed their antics like they're a pair of jarheads. They were pretty awesome.

With all that said, I still think this is a cool set, and if I wasn't so plugged into OT, maybe a newer fan of Star Wars, I would drop on two speeder bikes and scouts, sell off one of the yodas and sit there pretty. But alas... I'll hold onto my two sideshow scouts and bike and wait for HT to deliver me my destiny... which so far they've treated us quite well... but I still feel burned over the Sandtrooper Sarge, Imperial Navy Trooper and Snowie Commander. We all know the MF Cockpit wasn't happening... but those figures... it's beyond me why we didn't get em.

I agree with all of this. And I'm hopeful you're right. There were some easy cash grabs HT passed on.. so who knows. Maybe they're like yeah SSC already did the ROTJ scouts.. so let us focus on being more unique, like they did with the Snowie commander. Let's not forget the Sandtrooper Sergeant was just a pauldron repaint and slap an already made DLT19 on him and he was good to go... so who knows really.

I do like the hoth style bikes though... it would be cool to have one of those next to the sideshow endor bike, but at that point I'd probably prefer to just drop the extra bones on another SSC so I can do an endor luke v scout setup

The problem is that this Scout is not much better than the Sideshow version, of course they are from different movies, with different appearance, but the helmet of the HT Mando Scout should have been inspired by the EFX helmet, and in fact HT made it narrow and inaccurate. EFX helmet is not the best ROTJ Scout helmet, still being used in Mando, HT should have made a much better scale lid for their figure. I really hope by the time they consider the ROTJ Scout to come with a better helmet sculpt. I'm glad this isn't the ROTJ Scout with this helmet, because if it was, then it would be ugly and inaccurate.

EFX-Scout-Trooper-Helmet-23.jpg

The problem is that this Scout is not much better than the Sideshow version, of course they are from different movies, with different appearance, but the helmet of the HT Mando Scout should have been inspired by the EFX helmet, and in fact HT made it narrow and inaccurate. EFX helmet is not the best ROTJ Scout helmet, still being used in Mando, HT should have made a much better scale lid for their figure. I really hope by the time they consider the ROTJ Scout to come with a better helmet sculpt. I'm glad this isn't the ROTJ Scout with this helmet, because if it was, then it would be ugly and inaccurate.

You know a lot about these things, but has any collectible really been 100 percent accurate when it comes to SW? I'm not expert but I think everything has been "off". I don't think we'll ever get a perfect match.

I think this looks cool BUT I'm getting sick of these companies hopping around with figures (while increasing prices all the time). SS has sucked at the SW line for the most part, HT has been much better at these so they should be the ones doing SW. I'd Love Prime 1 to get the license as IS has been sticking to their lame 1/10 line while doing very little with their 1/4 line even though they did the best Vader imo. I remember the SS screw up with the snowtrooper commander when it was theorized for months that HT was doing it. Maybe I'm getting tired of seeing lackluster releases but I swear the SW license items has been annoying AF.

You know a lot about these things, but has any collectible really been 100 percent accurate when it comes to SW? I'm not expert but I think everything has been "off". I don't think we'll ever get a perfect match.

I think this looks cool BUT I'm getting sick of these companies hopping around with figures (while increasing prices all the time). SS has sucked at the SW line for the most part, HT has been much better at these so they should be the ones doing SW. I'd Love Prime 1 to get the license as IS has been sticking to their lame 1/10 line while doing very little with their 1/4 line even though they did the best Vader imo. I remember the SS screw up with the snowtrooper commander when it was theorized for months that HT was doing it. Maybe I'm getting tired of seeing lackluster releases but I swear the SW license items has been annoying AF.

No one asks for 100% accuracy, but when the accuracy is nowhere near the screen used props, then you have a problem, especially at this time and age, when these collectible companies have access to almost everything...

^ This exactly,

There’s so much technology around now to 3D render a perfect imperial trooper in any form. Jesus all they’d have to do is stick 501st members in a 3D scanning booth with there various get ups on and boom, they could create perfect 3D rendered models to scale down and replicate. Surely that wouldn’t be beyond their RnD budget? Imagine how many more figures they would sell if the accuracy was almost floorless?

I'm curious what you feel is the most accurate SW 1/6 trooper that has ever been mass produced by a toy company? I can only say my personal favorites are the Hot Toys Sandtrooper and the Hot Toys Snowtrooper.

I'm curious what you feel is the most accurate SW 1/6 trooper that has ever been mass produced by a toy company? I can only say my personal favorites are the Hot Toys Sandtrooper and the Hot Toys Snowtrooper.

Gentle Giant Stormtrooper mini-bust, the first version, remains the most accurate 1/6 Stormie collectible. It comes with a helmet scanned from a screen used helmet and besides the fact that is a tad smaller and having big mictips, it doesn't have any other flaws. The GG Scout is also the most accurate. Neither are 100% accurate but if a company would do them close enough today, people will see why some of these helmets are so beautiful even when scaled down

No one asks for 100% accuracy, but when the accuracy is nowhere near the screen used props, then you have a problem, especially at this time and age, when these collectible companies have access to almost everything...

"Exactly!"
-Tom Cruise, Star Wars A New Hope

I do like the saggy diaper look in relation to the timeline. They just didn?t really care anymore and they were essentially hired guns I imagine... it?s cool that the troops that are near Moff Gidion are near perfect while the remnants scattered around look like they gave up a long time ago. so as a figure I would love to have this one on display.
...but I can?t go all in on The Mandalorian since that would take up way too much space in the end. So I?ll try and stick with my SSC scout and bike until a ROTJ version is released... just don?t know if I can help myself. I have a problem.

A scout trooper has been near the top of my want list but after seeing the comparison pics to the ROTJ trooper the Mando one just looks real bad

jkno continues to bless us with his presence and information on helmets....

Thank you for the input.

It is interesting how closely the HT scout helmet comes in looking like the SSC helmet... Reminds me of when HT first dropped their Boba Fett... and like other Fett enthusiast we awaited with baited breath for what we would assume would be way more accurate than the SSC previously offered... and when it finally came it was pretty much exactly like the SSC, oversized tvisor and long face....

In some aspects, I feel like HT must be looking at original prop photos, then looking at sideshow and deciding whether or not they'll just follow SSC's lead. It's also possible maybe the artists/teams share their own forum of discussion. How else could you explain such similarities in approach to a character that hold the same flaws.

Then when HT ESB Fett came and they tried to clean up the helmet shape a bit, but overall pretty much the same deal.

Let's cross our fingers for the ROTJ Scout***... and for more serious clean up

Back