1/6 Hot Toys - The Clone Wars: Darth Maul (Lord Mandalore) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad they didn't go animated. I want all of my figures to go together. Brilliant move on their part.

Agreed. I hate all of the figures. Animated would have been cool. Spider-verse did it.

Spider-Verse is not set in the same universe as the MCU, so it has no connection to the MCU characters. TCW is directly related to the events of ROTS and takes place in the same universe with the same versions of those characters. I would rather have a consistent collection.

I'm going to have to join the anti-animation camp here. Being animated sculpts just wouldn't fit into their "masterpiece" Star Wars line. As someone else here already said, Spider-verse is completely separate from the MCU, so it makes sense there, but TCW is just an animated sequel to the prequels. It would have probably been live action had it been financially viable at the time. I'm also interested to see the forthcoming Rosario Dawson sculpt of Ashoka and how it compares to this TCW one.

I couldve sworn those pants were grey...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
They look brown to me.

84677d_2a479709022849fa8de4675a484d6489~mv2.jpg

I'm going to have to join the anti-animation camp here. Being animated sculpts just wouldn't fit into their "masterpiece" Star Wars line. As someone else here already said, Spider-verse is completely separate from the MCU, so it makes sense there, but TCW is just an animated sequel to the prequels. It would have probably been live action had it been financially viable at the time. I'm also interested to see the forthcoming Rosario Dawson sculpt of Ashoka and how it compares to this TCW one.

Agreed. As much as I'd love to see a really nice animated version of Ahsoka or Maul, it's not something that would fit in my current SW collection at all, and would need to be displayed in a totally different area. And I much prefer the idea of being able to pose these alongside my other SW figures.

It’s gonna be great when Hot Toys ****s up a detail on Darth Vader’s helmet again. It was just an artists interpretation of the helmet! Just like these figures are an artists interpretation of the animated source material!

Screen accuracy>artistic interpretations

It’s gonna be great when Hot Toys ****s up a detail on Darth Vader’s helmet again. It was just an artists interpretation of the helmet! Just like these figures are an artists interpretation of the animated source material!

Screen accuracy>artistic interpretations

And the fact that we already know what Maul looks like in live-action. You can see in the photo above that his face is way slimmer like his TPM appearance, not old and bloated like his Solo appearance.

Friend - Who’s that on your shelf?
Me - It’s Darth Maul!
Friend – I don’t remember him looking like that in Episode 1
Me - No It’s from the Clone Wars
Friend - I didn’t watch that movie
Me- It’s not a movie it’s a cartoon
Friend – I’m confused. Then why do they look real?
Me- Fill in the blank with your personal reason on why you prefer them to look real instead of the ‘true” animated representations
Friend – OK. So there really not based off any source material to look like that?
Me- Fill in the blank with your personal reason on why you prefer them to look real instead of the ‘true” animated representations
Friend – So how much did it cost?
Me- $280 US
Friend

download.jpg

Friend - Who?s that on your shelf?
Me - It?s Darth Maul!

There, fixed your conversation. If your friend says 'he didn't look like that in Episode 1' he clearly knows what the hell is up and wouldn't continue the dumb conversation. Your arguments just don't hold water. All of these TCW figures look fantastic and would looks ridiculous to be cartoon versions, especially displayed next to the rest of the SW line. If you think someone would laugh at paying full price for these realistic versions, I think they'd surely laugh more at something that was simple cartoon paint jobs.

There, fixed your conversation. If your friend says 'he didn't look like that in Episode 1' he clearly knows what the hell is up and wouldn't continue the dumb conversation. Your arguments just don't hold water. All of these TCW figures look fantastic and would looks ridiculous to be cartoon versions, especially displayed next to the rest of the SW line. If you think someone would laugh at paying full price for these realistic versions, I think they'd surely laugh more at something that was simple cartoon paint jobs.

I think it just comes down to what you collect. I currently own no Star Wars figures and if the figures was animated i would be all in on the clone wars line and as much as i want a Clone Wars Maul the figure just doesn't feel right to me, i think i am only gonna pick up a small number of Clone Troopers... However if i did own other star wars figures then i would agree "realistic" would be the way to go because combining realistic figures with animated figures wouldn't feel right either.

but if you only had animated figures with animated proportions i think the figures themselves would look amazing and look spot on unlike their current line of figures which requires a certain level of rose tinted glasses to enjoy especially the sculpts on maul and rex.

if you already own Star Wars figures i can understand people being happy with this Maul, but i don't think this Maul is good enough to introduce anyone to the star wars line... However if i will revisit the possibility of Maul once i get a few clones maybe having them in hand can sway me on a realistic Maul.

Though that's all just my opinion it's cool if anyone disagrees.

I talked to Howard and he sent me images of the next four Clone Wars figures slated to be released! I love that they went with the realistic look as the cartoon versions would look ridiculous displayed next to the rest of my Star Wars line.
download-1.jpg
download-2.jpg
847881051.jpg
darth-vader_star-wars_gallery_5c4d0a375500e.jpg

I talked to Howard and he sent me images of the next four Clone Wars figures slated to be released! I love that they went with the realistic look as the cartoon versions would look ridiculous displayed next to the rest of my Star Wars line.

Is showing photos of 4 realistic figure supposed to support your argument?

I wish they went the animated route with the CW stuff because I actually want them as a separate collection. It would cause me to spend loads more money and buy all the characters I already have from live action again. I guess it’s cool how they’ve interpreted the likes of Red and Ashoka but, by not resembling their show models, I just don’t have the proper connection to the character that I’d certainly feel seeing them brought to life accurately. Either way there are still characters I certainly want regardless of the style but the realistic approach makes me much more selective. There’s also nothing high end around that accurately represents the animation designs. Even the black series has taken a more realistic stance.

Anyways, I keep flipping on whether or not to PO this Maul. I definitely want another Maul to stand with Savage and Ventress when they (hopefully) come out but this one is quite dull. My ideal CW Maul would probably be the mechanical Ostrich legs look. It’s so vastly different from his TPM appearance be that it would warrant its own display piece whereas everything else is very similar to the typical idea of Maul.
I think I have to skip this and hope for something more enticing further down the line.

Back