1/6 Hot Toys - The Clone Wars: Darth Maul (Lord Mandalore) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my kids were young it was around the release of CW feature movie and Season one. You could say their introduction to Star Wars was based on the cartoons as I was curious about this new animated series and would watch on TV more than the OT and PT movies at that time. Hasbro had also released their 3.75 inch line of animated CW figures and naturally I would make the purchase and give to my kids as their first SW figures. I watched the Clones Wars “live” through each passing season waiting patiently for the following week to watch the next episode. The Clones Wars animated series has been part of our lives for 12 years (give or take the years off for the final season), so its strange to see these realistic version being sold off as CLONE WARS.

The CW cartoon had a very interesting look. I loved the vibrate chalky matte look of the universe. I think if HT attempted the animated line it would actually be a step up rather than a step down. I could see the challenge in painting and achieving animated colour clothing. But man if HT got it right they would be real pieces of art. Throw in a back drop as if their jumping out of our TV screens and people will get behind this line.

HT is clearly aware of the potential of an Animated line but why give us this now when they can get more dollars from a “realistic” line first. Make sense!!

It's all opinion of course but I think those Spiderman animated figures look too much like something sold at Walmart to pay around $250 a figure. So I guess I am happy with the direction they went as I have ordered Cody, Rex, Anakin, Ahsoka, and three 501st troops. Really would have preferred more OT stuff but I have good memories watching CW with my nephew so I'm happy to have these too. I don't think the animated style fits in very well with the other realistic figures.

2416462-kyleandluke.jpg

I think the Spider-Man figures are supplemented by their really full packages/accessories and heads to make them feel more worth it. I didn't preorder any but really thought about it.

Star Wars is founded in the movies with real live humans. I love Kyle Katarn, but if they made a figure that looked like the above I would pass.

View attachment 496609

I think the Spider-Man figures are supplemented by their really full packages/accessories and heads to make them feel more worth it. I didn't preorder any but really thought about it.

Star Wars is founded in the movies with real live humans. I love Kyle Katarn, but if they made a figure that looked like the above I would pass.

I think there is a clear aesthetic difference between that video game and The Clone Wars animated series. That game is trying to come across as realistic, whereas TCW is deliberately stylized. No one would make a Kyle Katarn based off that appearance, except maybe Hasbro. But if he were to appear in a modern game alongside, say Cal Kestis of course they'd try to make it as realistic as possible because that's the goal.

But again, I like forward to reading about how Hot Toys took artistic liberties with a Stormtrooper's helmet shape, from the folks praising the Hot Toys Cosplay Ahsoka figure.

Friend - Who?s that on your shelf?
Me - It?s Darth Maul!
Friend ? I don?t remember him looking like that in Episode 1
Me - No It?s from the Clone Wars
Friend - I didn?t watch that movie
Me- It?s not a movie it?s a cartoon
Friend ? I?m confused. Then why do they look real?
Me- Fill in the blank with your personal reason on why you prefer them to look real instead of the ?true? animated representations
Friend ? OK. So there really not based off any source material to look like that?
Me- Fill in the blank with your personal reason on why you prefer them to look real instead of the ?true? animated representations
Friend ? So how much did it cost?
Me- $280 US
Friend

View attachment 496584

See the biggest flaw in this scene is you would never have spent $400 CAD!!!!! to buy a Hot Toys figure in the first place Bo.

See the biggest flaw in this scene is you would never have spent $400 CAD!!!!! to buy a Hot Toys figure in the first place Bo.

My last two purchases was DX E1 Maul and Dooku last year. Nothing purchased or on preorder this year.

At this point I think I have all the “Big Boys” that I have wanted represented in 1/6 in my collection (ie. Jack Sparrow, T800 BD, Robocop BD, Scar Predator, etc ) I think just one HT a year is good for me as long as it’s a standout piece. For me there just hasn’t been a piece like this in 2020. Sure there’s nice pieces but nothing that has me wanting to purchase

Agreed on HT double dipping. It was their MO with Marvel, especially IM diecast, and it worked.

With that said, I'm very much down for an animated Rex to go with the realistic one. :lol

Me- Fill in the blank with your personal reason on why you prefer them to look real instead of the ?true? animated representations.
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me- Fill in the blank with your personal reason on why you prefer them to look real instead of the ?true? animated representations.
giphy.gif

Ha you must have never complained about a figure in your life if you’re able to just imagine away inaccuracies. I kid of course. There are obviously reasons for both approaches but boy am I gonna feel like a mug if HT does eventually bring out animation accurate figures.

I still prefer "real-world". I wouldn't collect a whole Animated style collection and they wouldn't fit in with the movie figures I have. They'd be cool, for sure, but they just wouldn't fit in for me. I wonder if the "best" move would have been just including an animated portrait and the realistic? Package it as the "Deluxe" version.

I still prefer "real-world". I wouldn't collect a whole Animated style collection and they wouldn't fit in with the movie figures I have. They'd be cool, for sure, but they just wouldn't fit in for me. I wonder if the "best" move would have been just including an animated portrait and the realistic? Package it as the "Deluxe" version.

I would pay the extra. I bet folks would be tripping over each other to order.

Just including an animated portrait wouldn't work, body proportions along with the outfit proportions and designs (especially the clones like Rex) are different. It wouldn't look right just sticking it on a realistic body. Everything in the show is stylised and doesn't really fit realistic proportions.

I meant as more of a bonus really. In the end, if that's the case, I'm still glad they went realistic. They would just but blend well with all of the movie figures and that's how I display them. All 1 line/universe. I would never be complete on the line anyway, so I'd never go for a full line/separate display for just animated figures.

I literally have zero desire to own animated style Star Wars figures. Especially if their proportions were then all messed with. They would sell far less troopers in wonky animated style.

I literally have zero desire to own animated style Star Wars figures. Especially if their proportions were then all messed with. They would sell far less troopers in wonky animated style.

I agree. The Clone Wars animation is supposed to be a cartoon representation of the ?real? characters from the films. Some of these characters were created and stay in that animated universe so we don?t know what they look like in the ?real? universe but that doesn?t mean they don?t exist. If we actually saw those AU characters in a live action movie or show, ie. Ahsoka, then we would have a point of reference but until then we have to use our imaginations to make that leap and I?m fine with it.

If you want animated figures in sure there is a market for them and it?s possible HT might eventually tackle it but I?m guessing it?s gonna be a long time off. I could be wrong given it?s popularity. They could see more interest in animated figures and perhaps the Spiderverse figures will give them an idea on how well they would sell.

Was hoping to see either the ostrich mech legs no shirt maul, or spider mech legs maul no shirt. Would the tatooine death scene look be considered?

Back