Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is where I feel like I’m a ******* Catholic baby floating in limbo when it comes to my love of this movie. Because it feels like I somehow exist in the space between spaces where it meshed with me in a way that I feel like it didn’t mesh with other people. There are people who loved how dark and gritty and realistic The Batman was and want more of that and then there are people who wanted a more fantastical take with monsters and superpowers and wish it was that.

My take is that The Batman is grounded and gritty and dark and realistic, but no more so than a great many Batman books (Year One, The Long Halloween, Gotham Central, etc.) and, on that note, I feel like it’s unapologetic in how steeped in comics it is. The city *feels* like Gotham. This isn’t New York or Chicago standing in. It’s full-blown Gotham City in a way that feels uniquely Batman and when you see Batman walking through a crime scene or flying down the streets in the Batmobile, it doesn’t feel like you’re being asked to accept this as part of your reality, as it was with the Nolan Trilogy and, even, to a degree, Snyder’s films, it feels like you’re being transported *there*.

Batman looks like ******* Batman. The cowl, the gray and black suit; there are shots in this absolutely gorgeous movie that feel like they’re comic panels brought to life, be it by Andrea Sorrentino, Lee Bermejo, Michael Lark, or others and it just drips with atmosphere. Then you look at all those little elements and nuances throughout; a bit of The Long Halloween here, a touch of Hush, some No Man’s Land and Zero Year thrown in for good measure and you see **** like this:

View attachment 596081

…and you hear Pattinson talk about books like Batman: Ego and you see Reeves talk about all the stuff that inspired him and you get the feeling there’s reverence there that goes beyond simply appropriating Frank Miller’s iconography for some slow mo shots and costumes.

With Reeves talking about sequel ideas and stuff like The Court of Owls and Mr. Freeze, I don’t feel like the tone he set should preclude them from embracing the fantastical and gradually introducing it. A book like Gotham Central, for instance, showed you can do Mr. Freeze and make him terrifying without him being some serial killer dude with alopecia who likes dipping his victim’s body parts in liquid nitrogen or some ****:

View attachment 596089

I can see that transpiring, freeze gun, and cryosuit and all without it betraying the universe they created and the tone they set for it. Like, I feel like so long as you maintain the internal logic and keep the characterizations consistent, there’s nothing precluding them from venturing into those corners of the Batman mythos but their own unwillingness and inhibitions.

I mean, tell me you couldn’t see Battinson trudging through a dimly lit sewer with his flashlight, cape dragging over the water and following a trail of mud only to find a hulking, photorealistic Clayface lurking in the shadows. I mean, even the story implications are fun to think about: a murder mystery where the murderer can be literally anyone in any place? I feel like it could be an exciting direction to take things.
I wish I got this from The Batman.
It looked great, like you say it feels like you are there and drips with atmosphere. The sound design was some of the best I've ever heard too.

On my first watch IMAX cinema), I thought it was okay. On my second watch though I was so bored I ended up watching it in 3 sittings.
Not only that, the inconsistencies were really obvious the second time. They stuck out like a sore thumb. Batman does some really stupid things too, not just inexperienced, stupid.

I really hope they up their game with these things in the 2nd one.

Why would the DC movies suddenly be good if they were rebooted? The cast isn’t the problem, It’s the lack of an overall “vision” or direction. Say what you will about Snyder but at least when he was in charge he had a whole storyline mapped out. You said it yourself, the superhero genre is so “oversaturated” that It’s to the point where a full reboot wouldn’t work. People have already invested so much time into these characters and too much of it is already interconnected. The only way they’re “fixing” anything is by keeping the core cast members and moving forward from there. Just build a universe around Cavill’s Superman, that’s what most fans want anyway.
That’s what I thought they were going to do way back in 2012. Superman was going to be the spearhead to launch the new dc universe and everything else would fall into place

WB thought their 2nd movie in the franchise should be doing the numbers it took the MCU to do in their 6th full movie with a full team up, they panicked and threw the plan away. Here we are again. Hopefully, lessons have been learned.

I suspect that they have moved around the existing projects to insert other projects that have yet to be announced. I believe this is being done to make the entire story flow cohesively in the 10 year plan that we have yet to see.

Remember, if Superman is at the end of Black Adam, then that means a Superman film in in the works for sure. It has to fit in there somewhere and I even wonder if Shazam 2 may elude to the events in Black Adam.

I’m REALLY looking forward to an official announcement on what the 10 year plan has in store.

But then BvS happened and WB got scared. Then they saw ZSJL and they **** their pants.

Chaos ensued.
That’s what happens when u hire one director to do all the movies and try to rush into the JL lol

Remember, if Superman is at the end of Black Adam, then that means a Superman film in in the works for sure. It has to fit in there somewhere and I even wonder if Shazam 2 may elude to the events in Black Adam.
I’ll believe it when I see it.
BUASFLPzUqUYK65v3nV3jH.jpg

I’ll believe it when I see it.
BUASFLPzUqUYK65v3nV3jH.jpg
I’m totally in agreement with you on that. However the original Shazam was done during the scatterbrained phase of WB. I would hope that all the recent news is solidifying a hard nosed track that they will stay on now as WBD.
Fingers crossed!

I’m totally in agreement with you on that. However the original Shazam was done during the scatterbrained phase of WB. I would hope that all the recent news is solidifying a hard nosed track that they will stay on now as WBD.
Fingers crossed!
Shazam (and his foam) looks waaay bigger than Superman in that pic.

That’s what I thought they were going to do way back in 2012. Superman was going to be the spearhead to launch the new dc universe and everything else would fall into place

I’m sure that was the plan initially, now look where we’re at. Don’t worry though, “the hierarchy of power in the DV universe is about to change.” :lol

I’m sure that was the plan initially, now look where we’re at. Don’t worry though, “the hierarchy of power in the DV universe is about to change.” :lol
Yea I heard they got somebody to oversea the dc universe now.

Right!!!
Man… why oh why couldn’t they just pay Cavill a few bucks to legit just walk on screen!?!? 🤦🏼‍♂️
That would have helped, you can tell the guy in the suit isn't Henry PLUS the Shazam suit is poorly padded, like Tyler Hoechlin's. I'm getting Koopa Troopa vibes from the Mario movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back