Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m seeing some breaking “rumors” that Cavill is confirmed to be at the end of Black Adam and he shot scenes a few months back.

2185F4D3-DDD6-42B7-B741-D6C40A4127BA.jpeg

Yea that’s the thing with WB they don’t outright say what they are doing so everyone is left speculating and hoping and starting rumors . Then when they don’t happen people get angry .

This is why I have/had absolutely NO interest in The Batman. I already have 2 amazing films from Nolan in BB & TDK. The Batman is like a rehash of the Nolan films we already have.

I'm bored of the rehash of the same grounded/realistic villains in live action Batman movies.. I'm tired of Joker, Riddler, Two-Face, Penguin.... I don't want Black Mask, Calendar Man, Zsasz.... Just mostly normal people/gangsters. Those characters could be done in any normal Detective drama with any normal cop chasing them down. Another reason why I also have/had NO interest in The Joker movie, and will most likely never watch it.

What I WANT is Clayface, Man-Bat, Killer Croc (not the pathetic SS version), Mr. Freeze & Poison Ivy (not the awful camp crap), Firefly, Solomon Grundy, the Ventriloquist & Scarface even (where Scarface isn't just a dummy). The larger than life COMIC BOOK characters that are otherworldly.

But, alas, I don't feel this will ever happen. Thankfully we have the awesome DCAU. Most of the animated movies writing surpasses the live action movies..... Sad.
This is where I feel like I’m a ******* Catholic baby floating in limbo when it comes to my love of this movie. Because it feels like I somehow exist in the space between spaces where it meshed with me in a way that I feel like it didn’t mesh with other people. There are people who loved how dark and gritty and realistic The Batman was and want more of that and then there are people who wanted a more fantastical take with monsters and superpowers and wish it was that.

My take is that The Batman is grounded and gritty and dark and realistic, but no more so than a great many Batman books (Year One, The Long Halloween, Gotham Central, etc.) and, on that note, I feel like it’s unapologetic in how steeped in comics it is. The city *feels* like Gotham. This isn’t New York or Chicago standing in. It’s full-blown Gotham City in a way that feels uniquely Batman and when you see Batman walking through a crime scene or flying down the streets in the Batmobile, it doesn’t feel like you’re being asked to accept this as part of your reality, as it was with the Nolan Trilogy and, even, to a degree, Snyder’s films, it feels like you’re being transported *there*.

Batman looks like ******* Batman. The cowl, the gray and black suit; there are shots in this absolutely gorgeous movie that feel like they’re comic panels brought to life, be it by Andrea Sorrentino, Lee Bermejo, Michael Lark, or others and it just drips with atmosphere. Then you look at all those little elements and nuances throughout; a bit of The Long Halloween here, a touch of Hush, some No Man’s Land and Zero Year thrown in for good measure and you see **** like this:

2CECEC4B-432D-489B-AA68-38A00DBAD897.jpeg

…and you hear Pattinson talk about books like Batman: Ego and you see Reeves talk about all the stuff that inspired him and you get the feeling there’s reverence there that goes beyond simply appropriating Frank Miller’s iconography for some slow mo shots and costumes.

With Reeves talking about sequel ideas and stuff like The Court of Owls and Mr. Freeze, I don’t feel like the tone he set should preclude them from embracing the fantastical and gradually introducing it. A book like Gotham Central, for instance, showed you can do Mr. Freeze and make him terrifying without him being some serial killer dude with alopecia who likes dipping his victim’s body parts in liquid nitrogen or some ****:

834AF966-490A-451C-AC9F-8EDDA65BAB90.jpeg

I can see that transpiring, freeze gun, and cryosuit and all without it betraying the universe they created and the tone they set for it. Like, I feel like so long as you maintain the internal logic and keep the characterizations consistent, there’s nothing precluding them from venturing into those corners of the Batman mythos but their own unwillingness and inhibitions.

I mean, tell me you couldn’t see Battinson trudging through a dimly lit sewer with his flashlight, cape dragging over the water and following a trail of mud only to find a hulking, photorealistic Clayface lurking in the shadows. I mean, even the story implications are fun to think about: a murder mystery where the murderer can be literally anyone in any place? I feel like it could be an exciting direction to take things.

I’m seeing a lot more news now that confirms there’s an after credits scene for Black Adam that has Superman.

Supposedly his face is in shadow but you can see a much brighter more vibrant version of The Man of Steel suit.

It’s debated that this scene is a placeholder for Henry Cavill as he’s rumored to have shot his scene a few weeks ago. Fingers crossed!!!

https://www.cbr.com/aquaman-2-shazam-2-delayed-2023-dceu-warner-bros/
That’s quite the delay. Who wants to wager it’s more Affleck, less Heard?

To some degree, it makes sense ( Well I see it that way)

Wait it out, make sure it's a good story and a good product. You can see the crunch happening with the MCU. So many releases moving so fast to meet a certain unrealistic deadline and you start to sap the quality of what's being churned out.

Also a lot of bad press at once has tarnished DCEU. They need some space to get the bad taste out of the public's mouth.

I don't want to come off as insensitive, but a year from now, there will be other scandals and other headlines and people will be distracted from the entire Ezra Miller mess.

If you think about, for HBO Barry fans, it took how many decades for Henry Winkler to not be associated with The Fonz so he could take a different role and not be typecast?

I read in one of the other threads that Feige wanted to kill off all the original Avengers in Endgame and it's actually pretty understandable. Sometimes you just need to move on and leave the past behind. I wouldn't be all that upset if the DCEU just ate their pride and did a full reboot and started over from scratch.

They should definitely do a full reboot. But do it right and use different directors and not just one guy. Soft reboot it if you have to but it def needs a fresh take. A new flash is a must.

I hate the idea of a full reboot. So we’ll see a new Justice league in 10 years? No thanks lol.

They already have the perfect Superman, soft reboot and go from there.

Wasn’t the Flash supposed to be that soft, in continuity reboot? And then Miller ran amok and is putting all that in jeopardy:lol

Well I think it was WB’s twisted version of a “soft reboot.” Replacing Batman with Batgirl and Superman with Supergirl, etc. Thankfully the new CEO seems to have axed that moronic idea.

I hate the idea of a full reboot. So we’ll see a new Justice league in 10 years? No thanks lol.

They already have the perfect Superman, soft reboot and go from there.

But what if the movies are good?

If everyone has to wait 3 years for every new DC film, but they punch out something along the quality of Captain America TFA / TWS, then is that so bad?

I'd rather have fewer great films than non stop shlock. Melissa Benoist is insanely hot running around in that tiny SuperGirl skirt, but I'm not sitting through that CW lineup. Oversaturation is a real thing and many people are super hero-ed out.

Part of the reasons that HBO has a reputation for prestige television and high production values is they don't demand long TV seasons and they give their show runners room to put love and care and passion into the final product.

They are all replaceable in my book. I loved RDJ as Iron Man, but if Tom Cruise wanted the role and took it and rebooted Iron Man, would I mind? Probably not. Cruise is extremely reliable in making pretty good movies.

And let's be honest, so many known actors have already taken big parts in the MCU and DCEU, there's almost no one left in Hollywood to be cast in the current iterations.

We are at the point where Feige might need to cast Ice T in a big role because the actor reserve well is nearly dry.

What I'd like to see avoided is having superhero films turn into basically Law & Order, just pumping out prepackaged sanitized viewing by volume.

And let's be honest, so many known actors have already taken big parts in the MCU and DCEU, there's almost no one left in Hollywood to be cast in the current iterations.

Why do they have to be known actors? I actually prefer the lesser-knowns, they tend not to overshadow the characters.

(And lots of DCU and MCU actors were lesser known back when they were first cast.)

If Aquaman 2 is coming after The Flash in 2023 how is that going to work storywise? They refilmed Keaton's Batman for Affleck's due to A2 coming out before Flash and now it's the opposite. Are they going to go back to Keaton's Batman?

But what if the movies are good?

If everyone has to wait 3 years for every new DC film, but they punch out something along the quality of Captain America TFA / TWS, then is that so bad?

I'd rather have fewer great films than non stop shlock. Melissa Benoist is insanely hot running around in that tiny SuperGirl skirt, but I'm not sitting through that CW lineup. Oversaturation is a real thing and many people are super hero-ed out.

Part of the reasons that HBO has a reputation for prestige television and high production values is they don't demand long TV seasons and they give their show runners room to put love and care and passion into the final product.

They are all replaceable in my book. I loved RDJ as Iron Man, but if Tom Cruise wanted the role and took it and rebooted Iron Man, would I mind? Probably not. Cruise is extremely reliable in making pretty good movies.

We are at the point where Feige might need to cast Ice T in a big role because the actor reserve well is nearly dry.

What I'd like to see avoided is having superhero films turn into basically Law & Order, just pumping out prepackaged sanitized viewing by volume.

Why would the DC movies suddenly be good if they were rebooted? The cast isn’t the problem, It’s the lack of an overall “vision” or direction. Say what you will about Snyder but at least when he was in charge he had a whole storyline mapped out. You said it yourself, the superhero genre is so “oversaturated” that It’s to the point where a full reboot wouldn’t work. People have already invested so much time into these characters and too much of it is already interconnected. The only way they’re “fixing” anything is by keeping the core cast members and moving forward from there. Just build a universe around Cavill’s Superman, that’s what most fans want anyway.

If Aquaman 2 is coming after The Flash in 2023 how is that going to work storywise? They refilmed Keaton's Batman for Affleck's due to A2 coming out before Flash and now it's the opposite. Are they going to go back to Keaton's Batman?

Supposedly Keaton won’t be the DCEUs Batman going forward like originally planned. That’s one reason why canceling batgirl made sense, it was part of a “timeline” that won’t exist now that Zaslav is in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back