Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
De-Woked WB has started to jettison their old woke silliness by relaxing the rule that action figures can’t show real guns in their marketing with a ZSJl Joker product reveal that has Joker holding an assault rifle! :yess:

5A583014-D854-4BF4-82AF-0F9306EEBB8E.jpeg

Alright so…

I want to begin by saying let’s just acknowledge that there’s difference of opinion and taste about how our beloved DC characters are used in a cinematic universe. I genuinely respect those differences. At the end of the day what strikes a deep chord or rubs one the wrong way about fictional characters like this is ultimately for personal reasons, etc.

But from where I stand, I think what WB did under Tsujihara, Johns, Berg, Emmerich, Sarnoff, Hamada was idiotic in response to BvS. First of all, Josstice League is one of the worst decisions a major studio has ever made. It is so downright bad in comparison to ZSJL. Even Snyder antis basically agree with that. Secondly, the old WB regime stopped using Henry Cavill as Superman and apparently insisted on “hope and optimism” rewrites for Ben Affleck‘s solo Batman film. Ben, who was going through a lot of turmoil in his personal life, was alienated to the point he walked away from the role in disgust.

This is hard to fathom. Cavill and Affleck were perfect castings, and whether one loves or hates the deconstruction in BvS, both of them are awesome in the roles.

The old WB regime actively worked to get rid of Batman and Superman! Under Emmerich and Hamada the plan with The Flash was to kill off Batman and Superman and replace them with Batgirl mentored by a 70 y/o Keaton Batman, and have Supergirl replace Superman. As originally written the ending was going to set up a new timeline/universe for just that. And that was going to become the main continuity.

Thank God Zaslav came in and put an end to that disastrously stupid plan. Getting rid of Batman and Superman? Wtf? Mind boggling!

Fortunately the entire third act of The Flash is reportedly now being refilmed. Instead of killing off Affleck’s Batman, now instead they’re going to kill off Keaton’s Batman. Keaton will get the heroic death scene that was originally written for Affleck. (Note: almost immediately after WBD acquired WB this reportedly got rewritten to send Batfleck to the Knightmare universe instead; but after re-signing Cavill and Affleck it’s now changed again to simply restore the existing JL.) Keaton’s performance will be a one-and-done that will hopefully satisfy the cravings out there for nostalgia for his Batman films. (Following the appeal of the MCU’s NWH.) Now the buzz is that Cavill’s Superman and Fisher’s Cyborg will also appear at the end of the film, in addition to Batfleck surviving and continuing. The new reshot ending will preserve the continuity that was established at the end of ZSJL.

It hasn’t been announced yet but WBD has evidently signed Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill to return and continue. There’s no way in hell that they’re appearing in the coming films without having negotiated new contracts.

Both the old WB leadership and the Rock envisioned that with Batman and Superman gone, Black Adam would become the new apex superhero in the DC film universe. That was also a big part of Emmerich’s and Hamada’s plan. Now thankfully with Batman and Superman resuming their roles, how to resolve this problem moving forward is going to be interesting to watch. Zaslav reportedly wants Superman to be the central marquee superhero again—and for the DC trinity to be featured much more prominently.

How do they fit Black Adam as an antihero into some sort of relationship with the JL? Black Adam obviously isn’t cut out even to be a team member! His basic moral philosophy is antithetical to the JL. It would certainly be wonky for him ever to become the leader of the JL. But anyway, fitting Black Adam somehow into this universe in a way that remains true to who all the characters fundamentally are still has great potential to be very satisfying. It may not satisfy the Rock’s ego personally. But it can still be interesting to watch.

The Flash, even now with the third act now being rewritten, established the multiverse design, i.e., of there being infinite parallel timelines/universes that may be traveled between either using the speed force or “magic,” i.e., interdimensional portals. But whereas Emmerich and Hamada (and Johns when he was around) had planned to expand out into different parallel universes, Zaslav wants to consolidate the main continuity into just one timeline. MCU’s phase four has actually been the least satisfying for fans—and Zaslav and Horn are well aware of this. They want to follow the MCU’s most basic design in the sense of having interweaving plot lines among the solo and teamup films, and main arcs that dovetail into a grand finale.

I think Black Adam must be set in an alternate universe. In ZSJL Batman rounds up all the known metahumans to protect earth from Steppenwolf (and by extension Darkseid). We see at the end of SS that Bruce Wayne probably has the same sort of access to ARGUS’s data that Amanda Waller does, i.e., maybe he can hack ARGUS at will as Luthor did. But anyway, somehow neither Luthor or BruceWayne doesn’t know about the existence of the JSA? I mean, maybe the JSA somehow managed to stay under ARGUS’s. LexCorp’s, and Wayne Enterprises radar. Bit imho that’s a gigantic plothole.

I think at the end of Black Adam Doctor Fate is going to bring Black Adam to the main continuity where the JL is. There will be some sort of existential crisis where entire universes could get wiped out by the traveling Barry does in the Flash, perhaps. So Black Adam is kind of forced to visit the DCEU universe.

The plan under Hamada when BA was filmed was to run with the multiverse design and expand outwardly into the branches of all those parallel universes. But that is changing now.

Batgirl that was going to develop the old regime‘s plan to replace Batfleck with Batgirl and Keaton’s 70 y/o mentor Bruce Wayne. Sasha Calle’s Supergirl solo film was also part of the plan to replace Cavill’s Superman. Those films won‘t work anymore now that the WBD has decided to keep the ZSJL cast and start working from the ending of ZSJL as their new launchpad moving forward.

Blue Beetle simply introduces that character, so no rewrites will be required. Henry Cavill will get at least one solo Superman film if not multiple films. Hopefully Ben Affleck will want to make his solo Batman film versus Deathstroke. I think we’ll still get JL Dark or Swamp Thing, hopefully by Guillermo Del Toro. And reportedly Sasha Calle is great as Supergirl in The Flash, has wonderful scenes that will be crowd pleasers, and WBD wants her in the universe—but they’ll work her in differently than how The Flash was originally intending.

All of this suggests that after some more solo films there will indeed be a JL 2 and 3 as Snyder had planned. I do still think think Snyder will return to direct those two films after Rebel Moon. JL 2 will be the Knightmare future more or less as Snyder has already described. But JL 3 will be significantly different from what Snyder, Johns, and Lee had spitballed way back when.

Last edited:
How hard would it have been for Dwayne Johnson to wear some prosthetics to get the actual look???

But no… he’s all about him, which is why he wants his own face to be the face of the DCEU and not a character he’s playing.

8099409E-5775-4085-956E-1CE8688054B3.jpeg

How hard would it have been for Dwayne Johnson to wear some prosthetics to get the actual look???

But no… he’s all about him, which is why he wants his own face to be the face of the DCEU and not a character he’s playing.

View attachment 596905
Maybe he’s based on Injustice Black Adam?
hlkMy6.jpg

I’m still not entirely convinced Snyder didn’t kickstart the DCEU after playing the game and going “you know, Regime Superman has a point.”

I’ll give the Rock a pass on the normal human ears thing. They probably did a screen test with the pointed ears and the ears probably made him look silly given all the intensity that he’s trying to project.

Being reported that WB wants nothing more to do with ZS and they regret the Snyder cut.

So many conflicting rumors and reports, it’s laughable at this point. They want “nothing” to do with Snyder yet they’re keeping all the same cast besides crazy Ezra miller? Didn’t they even show Snyder verse clips in the Shazam 2 trailer? I think all of these leaks are BS, we’ll know what’s really going on once black Adam releases. I seriously just want Cavill to be back as Superman, I don’t care about much else at this point.

Being reported that WB wants nothing more to do with ZS and they regret the Snyder cut.

Nah, man that’s just another hit piece article as we see the old WB regime dying off. They ain’t going gently into that good night, evidently. That Variety article is citing conversations with the old WB regime, i.e., Sarnoff, Emmerich, Hamada. WBD is the new leadership of David Zaslav, Mike DeLuca, Pam Abdy, and Alan Horn. WBD is actively working to restore the Snyderverse! They brought Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill back. They are doing massive reshoots to undo the reboot that the old regime was setting up with Aquaman 2 and The Flash. Every film that was going to undo the Snyderverse was canceled or is being reshot! Zaslav FIRED all of the the old WB regime.

Nah, man that’s just another hit piece article as we see the old WB regime dying off. They ain’t going gently into that good night, evidently. That Variety article is citing conversations with the old WB regime, i.e., Sarnoff, Emmerich, Hamada. WBD is the new leadership of David Zaslav, Mike DeLuca, Pam Abdy, and Alan Horn. WBD is actively working to restore the Snyderverse! They brought Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill back. They are doing massive reshoots to undo the reboot that the old regime was setting up with Aquaman 2 and The Flash. Every film that was going to undo the Snyderverse was canceled or is being reshot! Zaslav FIRED all of the the old WB regime.
We’ll see. So far, the only officially greenlight for a new movie is the Joker sequel.

We’ll see. So far, the only officially greenlight for a new movie is the Joker sequel.
I’m not even excited about that one. The first was just… ok. Nothing special and it didn’t pay tribute to the villian we all love.
It was a mental illness story in DC comics wrapping paper. Nothing more.

That old regime can’t vanish fast enough.

Alright so…

I want to begin by saying let’s just acknowledge that there’s difference of opinion and taste about how our beloved DC characters are used in a cinematic universe. I genuinely respect those differences. At the end of the day what strikes a deep chord or rubs one the wrong way about fictional characters like this is ultimately for personal reasons, etc.

But from where I stand, I think what WB did under Tsujihara, Johns, Berg, Emmerich, Sarnoff, Hamada was idiotic in response to BvS. First of all, Josstice League is one of the worst decisions a major studio has ever made. It is so downright bad in comparison to ZSJL. Even Snyder antis basically agree with that. Secondly, the old WB regime stopped using Henry Cavill as Superman and apparently insisted on “hope and optimism” rewrites for Ben Affleck‘s solo Batman film. Ben, who was going through a lot of turmoil in his personal life, was alienated to the point he walked away from the role in disgust.

This is hard to fathom. Cavill and Affleck were perfect castings, and whether one loves or hates the deconstruction in BvS, both of them are awesome in the roles.

The old WB regime actively worked to get rid of Batman and Superman! Under Emmerich and Hamada the plan with The Flash was to kill off Batman and Superman and replace them with Batgirl mentored by a 70 y/o Keaton Batman, and have Supergirl replace Superman. As originally written the ending was going to set up a new timeline/universe for just that. And that was going to become the main continuity.

Thank God Zaslav came in and put an end to that disastrously stupid plan. Getting rid of Batman and Superman? Wtf? Mind boggling!

Fortunately the entire third act of The Flash is reportedly now being refilmed. Instead of killing off Affleck’s Batman, now instead they’re going to kill off Keaton’s Batman. Keaton will get the heroic death scene that was originally written for Affleck. (Note: almost immediately after WBD acquired WB this reportedly got rewritten to send Batfleck to the Knightmare universe instead; but after re-signing Cavill and Affleck it’s now changed again to simply restore the existing JL.) Keaton’s performance will be a one-and-done that will hopefully satisfy the cravings out there for nostalgia for his Batman films. (Following the appeal of the MCU’s NWH.) Now the buzz is that Cavill’s Superman and Fisher’s Cyborg will also appear at the end of the film, in addition to Batfleck surviving and continuing. The new reshot ending will preserve the continuity that was established at the end of ZSJL.

It hasn’t been announced yet but WBD has evidently signed Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill to return and continue. There’s no way in hell that they’re appearing in the coming films without having negotiated new contracts.

Both the old WB leadership and the Rock envisioned that with Batman and Superman gone, Black Adam would become the new apex superhero in the DC film universe. That was also a big part of Emmerich’s and Hamada’s plan. Now thankfully with Batman and Superman resuming their roles, how to resolve this problem moving forward is going to be interesting to watch. Zaslav reportedly wants Superman to be the central marquee superhero again—and for the DC trinity to be featured much more prominently.

How do they fit Black Adam as an antihero into some sort of relationship with the JL? Black Adam obviously isn’t cut out even to be a team member! His basic moral philosophy is antithetical to the JL. It would certainly be wonky for him ever to become the leader of the JL. But anyway, fitting Black Adam somehow into this universe in a way that remains true to who all the characters fundamentally are still has great potential to be very satisfying. It may not satisfy the Rock’s ego personally. But it can still be interesting to watch.

The Flash, even now with the third act now being rewritten, established the multiverse design, i.e., of there being infinite parallel timelines/universes that may be traveled between either using the speed force or “magic,” i.e., interdimensional portals. But whereas Emmerich and Hamada (and Johns when he was around) had planned to expand out into different parallel universes, Zaslav wants to consolidate the main continuity into just one timeline. MCU’s phase four has actually been the least satisfying for fans—and Zaslav and Horn are well aware of this. They want to follow the MCU’s most basic design in the sense of having interweaving plot lines among the solo and teamup films, and main arcs that dovetail into a grand finale.

I think Black Adam must be set in an alternate universe. In ZSJL Batman rounds up all the known metahumans to protect earth from Steppenwolf (and by extension Darkseid). We see at the end of SS that Bruce Wayne probably has the same sort of access to ARGUS’s data that Amanda Waller does, i.e., maybe he can hack ARGUS at will as Luthor did. But anyway, somehow neither Luthor or BruceWayne doesn’t know about the existence of the JSA? I mean, maybe the JSA somehow managed to stay under ARGUS’s. LexCorp’s, and Wayne Enterprises radar. Bit imho that’s a gigantic plothole.

I think at the end of Black Adam Doctor Fate is going to bring Black Adam to the main continuity where the JL is. There will be some sort of existential crisis where entire universes could get wiped out by the traveling Barry does in the Flash, perhaps. So Black Adam is kind of forced to visit the DCEU universe.

The plan under Hamada when BA was filmed was to run with the multiverse design and expand outwardly into the branches of all those parallel universes. But that is changing now.

Batgirl that was going to develop the old regime‘s plan to replace Batfleck with Batgirl and Keaton’s 70 y/o mentor Bruce Wayne. Sasha Calle’s Supergirl solo film was also part of the plan to replace Cavill’s Superman. Those films won‘t work anymore now that the WBD has decided to keep the ZSJL cast and start working from the ending of ZSJL as their new launchpad moving forward.

Blue Beetle simply introduces that character, so no rewrites will be required. Henry Cavill will get at least one solo Superman film if not multiple films. Hopefully Ben Affleck will want to make his solo Batman film versus Deathstroke. I think we’ll still get JL Dark or Swamp Thing, hopefully by Guillermo Del Toro. And reportedly Sasha Calle is great as Supergirl in The Flash, has wonderful scenes that will be crowd pleasers, and WBD wants her in the universe—but they’ll work her in differently than how The Flash was originally intending.

All of this suggests that after some more solo films there will indeed be a JL 2 and 3 as Snyder had planned. I do still think think Snyder will return to direct those two films after Rebel Moon. JL 2 will be the Knightmare future more or less as Snyder has already described. But JL 3 will be significantly different from what Snyder, Johns, and Lee had spitballed way back when.
Is this all true about the Flash reshoots and Cavill/Afleck???

I think The Batman 2 as well. But as we know both those are elseworld or Black label, not main continuity.

I don‘t see anyone reporting on the industry doubting or dismissing the reports of extensive reshoots for Aquaman 2 and the Flash.

All rumors at this point.

Well, not entirely. Ben Affleck is confirmed to be in Aquaman 2 by Jason Mamoa himself. Jason did that with a video the day after Syl Abdul broke that story. The conventional wisdom on this is that the only way Ben appears in a new movie he wasn’t already in, is if Ben has signed a new contract. I’m sure that is true.

Henry Cavill’s return has not yet been announced in the trades. But those that cover the industry are all reporting it at this point. Even observers that were skeptical are saying they are hearing that he is 100% back, like with a new multiple film contract including at least one if not more solo films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back