Netflix Midnight Mass (spoilers, assumes you’ve watched)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alatar

Super Freak
Reaction score
Overall I enjoyed this show, it managed to hook me in. At one point at the first scene of real violence somewhere around episode 5 (the angel attacks Riley) my wife and I both considered bailing, although neither of us is particularly squeamish about film or tv violence. We’re just not much of horror fans, really. But anyway, we both decided we should stick it out and see how the story ends. And again, in our opinion, overall a worthy investment of our leisure time.

A few plotholes though (arguably):

1) The angel is obviously a demon! Classically so in appearance. I mean that ****** got bat wings and claw like hands and drinks blood, lol. No one in the church community would question that even privately amongst themselves? (Even if too terrified to do it publicly and when it appears before them at Easter mass.) Not the least of which Monsignor Pruitt!

I mean biblically speaking Satan was an archangel, and he and his heavenly followers were all angels banished to hell by God. So technically “fallen angel” works. It’s a supernatural, otherworldly being, clearly. But definitely priests, most Christians in general, and even most lay people certainly know the distinction here. I.e., even if once an angel, that creature is obviously demonic.

2) The infected islanders suddenly discover their humanity in the final episode. It’s intended to convey that humanity still has redeeming qualities, I guess. And it’s only an 8 episode series, so I can forgive the compression of time there. But they almost literally sing kumbaya at the end. It was just slightly jarring.

3) As the character Bev shows at her last minutes on the beach, especially if they’d worked together at least a few of them could have buried themselves in the sand and breathed through a straw and built some primitive housing after the sun went down. But I get it that maybe by that time most were so filled with horror and remorse at their behavior that death was preferable to life as a vampire.

Anyway, the fictional lore behind all this is pretty interesting to imagine. The connection to vampirism as stemming from a type of fallen angel/demon. Vampirism based on an amped up form of actual disease in the natural world, just on mega-steroids (presumably due to it’s supernatural basis). Interdimensional paranormal concepts that are being used currently to possibly explain UAP, e.g., in real life Skinwalker Ranch, etc. Some world building could be done here to create a larger saga that this series initiates (i.e., other series to follow) similar to the concept behind the 2005 film Constantine. (I’ve never read any of the Constantine comics btw. Nor any of the JL Dark characters’ comics.)

Like, let’s say the “angel” (vampiric demon) came upon a ship as sea with a cabin to protect it from the sunlight on it’s hobbled flight back to the mainland before the sun came up. This would provide continuation of the story. Etc.

Last edited:
Finally finished this today and was waiting to check this thread. I agree with your plot holes, and honestly, I was really let down by this - just as I was with Hill House; had I known this was the same writer/director, I wouldn’t have bothered. Regardless, it did hook me in as well.

This took waaaay too long to get to the meat of it, and the issues you mentioned bothered me throughout. Bev’s end was not satisfying enough! I think that was the biggest annoyance of mine - I can’t imagine that everyone would’ve taken her **** for so long! Not ONE person had the backbone to give her a solid backhand?

Points though for you mentioning UAP/interdimensional entities - a topic I’m really into.

Back