Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Syl Abdul and Mikey Sutton have been on a hot streak. They’re reporting that in October after Black Adam releases WBD will make a lot of announcements.

Sutton is sure that Lin is in as head of DC Studios (DC Films will be renamed, he says). Lin is a friend of Alan Horn who reportedly Zaslav wanted for the job but Horn agreed only to consult. Horn is friendly to Snyder.

Everything Zaslav is doing points towards using the ending of ZSJL as the launchpad for their 10 year plan moving forward. Whether that means Snyder will return at some point to make JL 2 and 3 remains to be seen. But current indications are that:

1) WBD is actively undoing the old WB regime’s reboot plan (with reshoots) of killing off Batman and Superman and replacing them with Batgirl, Supergirl, and 70 y/o mentor Bruce Wayne. That old plan is getting rewritten and reshot. Sadly, the Batgirl film has been a casualty of that. That film was going to be the first post-reboot film in the new universe that the original script for the Flash established. But that just doesn’t jibe with the new plan since to restore Cavill’s Superman and Affleck’s Batman, and to feature Snyder’s DC trinity more prominently.

2) WBD is bringing back Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, and Ray Fisher. They are keeping the cast of the JL established by Snyder. ZSJL will be canon (versus Josstice League). WBD will pick up at the end of ZSJL as the starting point to tell new stories.

Personally I do believe that Snyder will return to make JL 2 and 3 in about 2-3 years. But time will tell!

Last edited:
Does that mean ZSJL is now canon after all? Or are they still resisting the C-word?

No official confirmation in the trades yet. But here’s what I think:

Post in thread 'Future of DC Films (DCEU)'
Future of DC Films (DCEU)

And I will add to that that Patty Jenkins said in an interview that all the directors of the other DC films, i.e., herself, Wan, Muschietti, Sandberg, Collet-Sera, and so on, all regard ZSJL as canon (as differentiated from Josstice League). Andy Muschietti reportedly contacted Snyder to consult with him about how he was using Batfleck in the Flash.

Wish they would just announce something official. They must be waiting for some big event to do it- no Fandome this year so it won't be there

Well, there’s NYC Comic-con Oct. 6-9 of this year. Next is Brazil’s CCXP Comic-con Dec. 1-4.

Maybe Snyder will do a World's Finest movie- just Supes and Bats with "guest" heroes. No Flash , Aquaman or WW to interfere with their own films.

Grace used to be a huge Snydercut fan she even interviewed Zach but now she says the movement is toxic and WB is 100% done with Snyder.

It’s very toxic and absolutely silly. Threatening violence on people over movie is silly especially insulting people over not liking a couple of bland movies is silly. I understand wanting to see something finish but the majority of the fanbase just seem very delusional and spiteful. I especially dislike snyders attitude towards it as he just lets his crazy fans do and say whatever instead of telling them to chill out and not be so toxic . He seems to relish in the fact that he gained a cult following so he baits them with pics and quotes to keep the fire going.

Keep the cast or whatever but I don’t want Snyder anywhere near Dc anymore. One director shouldn’t be in charge of a whole universe of inconic characters anyway.

It’s very toxic and absolutely silly. Threatening violence on people over movie is silly especially insulting people over not liking a couple of bland movies is silly. I understand wanting to see something finish but the majority of the fanbase just seem very delusional and spiteful. I especially dislike snyders attitude towards it as he just lets his crazy fans do and say whatever instead of telling them to chill out and not be so toxic . He seems to relish in the fact that he gained a cult following so he baits them with pics and quotes to keep the fire going.

Keep the cast or whatever but I don’t want Snyder anywhere near Dc anymore. One director shouldn’t be in charge of a whole universe of inconic characters anyway.

We’ve been through this before, there’s toxic people in every form of fandom. The people you’re referring to are the extremely vocal minority, and in no way represent the majority of “Snyder fans.” I really enjoyed his take on these characters and appreciate how his films had an overall vision and or direction. The DC universe has pretty much been in shambles since his departure, BUT…I don’t care if he returns at this point. I most definitely don’t want another reboot and promise of a “10 year plan” either. Just keep the core characters and build a universe around Cavills Superman like originally planned.

Where is Matt Reeves telling his fans to stop the death threats or the directors of the Batgirl movie doing the same?
The only difference between Snyder fans and most other fans is generally those fans end up with what they ask for and therefore quiet down after a bit.

Wez, you should see the consistently hateful reactions I routinely get when I simply post why I like Snyder’s DC films on the DC_Cinematic subreddit. The Snyder-hating element of the DC fandom is in fact where most of the toxicity lies. This becomes crystal clear if you follow that sub. You don’t see Snyder fans there relentlessly bashing other films, pouring out hate out onto other projects like gasoline onto a fire. But the Snyder antis are 1000% outspoken, unapologetic, and vitriolic af with outright hatred and contempt. Seriously—they present as totally entitled to behave as antagonistically as they wish. There’s no basic respect for someone else’s taste whatsoever. Which is all the more disconcerting when there is in fact a majority of Snyder supporters there (2:1 supporters over haters in a poll I ran there a year ago). Snyderverse fans there constitute what is essentially a silent majority. That says a lot to me!

On Twitter Snyderverse fans will go to war, yes. But best I can see that mirrors the typical battle between warring factions there. You’ll see it for any polarizing issue. Politics, sports, etc. In terms of toxicity Twitter is basically a cesspool to begin with.

Yes, Snyder through his signature cryptic posts has consistently signaled to his fandom that he hasn’t given up. It would only be a bad thing if there truly is no hope. Virtually everyone that knows Snyder personally that has spoken to it, confirms that he not the sort of person to string as fandom on like that. Only he and the new leadership at WBD would really know what is or isn’t possible. And mind you, he knew the merger was coming when AT&T sold WB to Discovery. When he posted clues about the Snyder cut while the old WB regime was in power he was speaking behind the scenes to AT&T. Presumably now it is with WBD.

Why are his fans still fighting the good fight? Because against all odds Snyder got the his cut of JL made. That was a minor miracle. There have been fan movements before, but the sheer passion within his fanbase for the vision he had for his five film run is unparalleled, I would say. Because it is DC superheroes to begin with, and an artistically serious approach inspired by Moore’s Watchmen and Miller’s TDKR (at least to start, it will continue to evolve) it strikes a deep chord with a lot of people.

There’s also a bit of a David and Goliath myth going on with it, which I think adds to its appeal for that fandom. Snyderverse fans are still somewhat amazed that our hashtags events and fundraisers for AFSP managed to be instrumental in getting the Snyder cut released!

For me, I won’t give up hope until either an official spokesperson for WBD or Snyder himself says it’s over. And until then I will keep on stanning.

Last edited:
If we're being brutally honest though, Snyder's movies didn't catch on with the general audience. WBD wants (and financially needs) DC to be as big a success as the MCU, they most likely aren't going to go back to a vision that failed to connect with mainstream audiences 6 years ago.

The rumoured changes to the end of Flash, I think, come down more to Zaslav/WBD wanting a ten year plan and shared universe with the focus on the major heroes than restoring Synder's vision.

A full on restart would be the cleanest thing to do, but that would cost them Momoa's Aquaman, Gadot's Wonder Woman, Robbie's Harley, etc. So that's out as those characters are extremely popular. Plus, let's be honest, casting (with few exceptions) has never really been an issue for most people even if they didn't like the films.

Hamada's plan to use Flash to build to Crisis with Keaton and Supergirl was created at at time when Affleck wanted out and neither WB or Cavill were budging in negotiations. WB have always wanted Cavill to come back. If didn't they could have just recast and been done with it long ago. If Affleck had wanted to continue and Cavill had reached an agreement then they likely would have been included more in that plan.

Affleck is in a better place now and seems happy to play Batman again. This plus switching Crisis for a 10 year plan means it makes much more sense to keep Affleck in the role than switch to Keaton.

If Cavill is back (and I really hope he is) then either Zaslav gave him what he wanted, told him it was the offer on the table or they recast, no more delays, or they found a workable compromise.

Zaslav wants Superman and Batman (in his prime) instead of Supergirl and Batgirl (with a semi-retired Batman). That doesn't mean they are going back to Snyder's vision and his planned Justice League sequels. It just means Zaslav sees more profit potential in using DC's biggest characters. The end of The Flash could still re-write the history of the DCEU (just not as drastically as before). Or it could keep the history fully intact but treat it like TSS did, where it wasn't really important to know what came before and just moves forward in a new direction.

If we're being brutally honest though, Snyder's movies didn't catch on with the general audience. WBD wants (and financially needs) DC to be as big a success as the MCU, they most likely aren't going to go back to a vision that failed to connect with mainstream audiences 6 years ago.

The rumoured changes to the end of Flash, I think, come down more to Zaslav/WBD wanting a ten year plan and shared universe with the focus on the major heroes than restoring Synder's vision.

A full on restart would be the cleanest thing to do, but that would cost them Momoa's Aquaman, Gadot's Wonder Woman, Robbie's Harley, etc. So that's out as those characters are extremely popular. Plus, let's be honest, casting (with few exceptions) has never really been an issue for most people even if they didn't like the films.

Hamada's plan to use Flash to build to Crisis with Keaton and Supergirl was created at at time when Affleck wanted out and neither WB or Cavill were budging in negotiations. WB have always wanted Cavill to come back. If didn't they could have just recast and been done with it long ago. If Affleck had wanted to continue and Cavill had reached an agreement then they likely would have been included more in that plan.

Affleck is in a better place now and seems happy to play Batman again. This plus switching Crisis for a 10 year plan means it makes much more sense to keep Affleck in the role than switch to Keaton.

If Cavill is back (and I really hope he is) then either Zaslav gave him what he wanted, told him it was the offer on the table or they recast, no more delays, or they found a workable compromise.

Zaslav wants Superman and Batman (in his prime) instead of Supergirl and Batgirl (with a semi-retired Batman). That doesn't mean they are going back to Snyder's vision and his planned Justice League sequels. It just means Zaslav sees more profit potential in using DC's biggest characters. The end of The Flash could still re-write the history of the DCEU (just not as drastically as before). Or it could keep the history fully intact but treat it like TSS did, where it wasn't really important to know what came before and just moves forward in a new direction.
Affleck is 50. While he’s in good shape for his age, he’s not a spry chicken, and with a 10 year plan he’d be 60 by the end, 10 years behind Keaton now. Robert Downey Jr. openly admitted his body couldn’t handle being in superhero roles anymore in his early 50s, echoed by Hugh Jackman who retired with “Old Man Logan” at age 48, so I wonder just how much longevity we have here.

I do like Affleck in the role and think he hasn’t been given the right material to work with yet (same with Cavill), so I’d be interested in a “proper” Batman movie with him, but I think the long-term prospects for a shared universe Batman are complicated. Pattinson is 36 and was also well-received, though I think we’re all assuming Reeves will keep that universe separate from the Aquaman and Black Adam bombast.

Where is Matt Reeves telling his fans to stop the death threats or the directors of the Batgirl movie doing the same?
The only difference between Snyder fans and most other fans is generally those fans end up with what they ask for and therefore quiet down after a bit.
That’s no excuse. And I don’t remember Matt reeves fans harassing batgirl. And just cause you don’t get what you want doesn’t excuse you from being toxic acting

We’ve been through this before, there’s toxic people in every form of fandom. The people you’re referring to are the extremely vocal minority, and in no way represent the majority of “Snyder fans.” I really enjoyed his take on these characters and appreciate how his films had an overall vision and or direction. The DC universe has pretty much been in shambles since his departure, BUT…I don’t care if he returns at this point. I most definitely don’t want another reboot and promise of a “10 year plan” either. Just keep the core characters and build a universe around Cavills Superman like originally planned.
I know. They may be just bots or alt accounts snoopy but I just eee very toxic comments on Twitter and Facebook.

I know it’s not everyone but I’m in some dc groups and whenever someone talks about the matt reeves Batman or any other Batman . You have some fanboy come in say affleck was the best ever with a restorethesnyderverse hashtag. I know it’s toxicity on every fandom but yea idk. Like you said tho just keep the core characters and go from there.

Affleck is 50. While he’s in good shape for his age, he’s not a spry chicken, and with a 10 year plan he’d be 60 by the end, 10 years behind Keaton now. Robert Downey Jr. openly admitted his body couldn’t handle being in superhero roles anymore in his early 50s, echoed by Hugh Jackman who retired with “Old Man Logan” at age 48, so I wonder just how much longevity we have here.

I do like Affleck in the role and think he hasn’t been given the right material to work with yet (same with Cavill), so I’d be interested in a “proper” Batman movie with him, but I think the long-term prospects for a shared universe Batman are complicated. Pattinson is 36 and was also well-received, though I think we’re all assuming Reeves will keep that universe separate from the Aquaman and Black Adam bombast.

You're right, but if we're not recasting (or building a new DCU out from Reeves' Batman) then Affleck 50-60 seems more viable than Keaton 70-80. With stunt doubles I think it's easily doable.

At this point I think the ship for an Affleck solo might have sailed with Pattison and Reeves doing their trilogy (plus series spin offs), but he could lead a Bat family movie as well as appearing in stuff like Aquaman and any Justice League or event stuff. So basically what Keaton was set to do but playing a more active Batman. But that also seems to fit more with Affleck at this point anyway, he can just enjoy being Batman without the pressure of the solo franchise.

Wez, you should see the consistently hateful reactions I routinely get when I simply post why I like Snyder’s DC films on the DC_Cinematic subreddit. The Snyder-hating element of the DC fandom is in fact where most of the toxicity lies. This becomes crystal clear if you follow that sub. You don’t see Snyder fans there relentlessly bashing other films, pouring out hate out onto other projects like gasoline onto a fire. But the Snyder antis are 1000% outspoken, unapologetic, and vitriolic af with outright hatred and contempt. Seriously—they present as totally entitled to behave as antagonistically as they wish. There’s no basic respect for someone else’s taste whatsoever. Which is all the more disconcerting when there is in fact a majority of Snyder supporters there (2:1 supporters over haters in a poll I ran there a year ago). Snyderverse fans there constitute what is essentially a silent majority. That says a lot to me!

On Twitter Snyderverse fans will go to war, yes. But best I can see that mirrors the typical battle between warring factions there. You’ll see it for any polarizing issue. Politics, sports, etc. In terms of toxicity Twitter is basically a cesspool to begin with.

Yes, Snyder through his signature cryptic posts has consistently signaled to his fandom that he hasn’t given up. It would only be a bad thing if there truly is no hope. Virtually everyone that knows Snyder personally that has spoken to it, confirms that he not the sort of person to string as fandom on like that. Only he and the new leadership at WBD would really know what is or isn’t possible. And mind you, he knew the merger was coming when AT&T sold WB to Discovery. When he posted clues about the Snyder cut while the old WB regime was in power he was speaking behind the scenes to AT&T. Presumably now it is with WBD.

Why are his fans still fighting the good fight? Because against all odds Snyder got the his cut of JL made. That was a minor miracle. There have been fan movements before, but the sheer passion within his fanbase for the vision he had for his five film run is unparalleled, I would say. Because it is DC superheroes to begin with, and an artistically serious approach inspired by Moore’s Watchmen and Miller’s TDKR (at least to start, it will continue to evolve) it strikes a deep chord with a lot of people.

There’s also a bit of a David and Goliath myth going on with it, which I think adds to its appeal for that fandom. Snyderverse fans are still somewhat amazed that our hashtags events and fundraisers for AFSP managed to be instrumental in getting the Snyder cut released!

For me, I won’t give up hope until either an official spokesperson for WBD or Snyder himself says it’s over. And until then I will keep on stanning.
Yea I get where your coming from. Honestly you have been the most positive person I’ve spoken to about this. I guess are experiences differ. But yea I know it’s not everyone but damn I use to get attacked heavily for saying I didn’t like bvs 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back