Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alatar

Super Freak
Reaction score
So Grace Randolph leaked yesterday (New Years Day) the following about the Flash movie:

FD9E7D5D-F853-4AFF-80BB-13382A703862.jpeg

Which of course could be false information since it’s a scooper leak. But hypothetically for the sake of argument let’s say that it is in fact what WB is planning. Since that would not be surprising, and indeed perfectly consistent, given WB’s clear intent to kill the Snyderverse. (Despite AT&T forcing the Snyder cut to get completed and released. And as we know AT&T has since sold WB to Discovery, etc.)

It is however noteworthy that on Christmas Eve morning Zack Snyder had posted this on VERO

B0C84559-F139-4DD4-B6DB-FBB80E5CE59B.jpeg

which in itself is relatively unremarkable—perhaps the northern lights are associated with the north pole which is the home of Santa Claus. However what got many Snyderverse fans excited was that later that same day Discovery tweeted this:

And just a couple days ago (before Grace’s post yesterday) when a fan asked Zack Snyder if this is a time to give up hope he responded “never.”

And then yesterday (New Years Day), same day as Grace leaked about the Flash movie rebooting the DCEU, Zack made an interesting "like“ on VERO:

B614295A-B1FB-4362-837A-E763EE16DC6A.jpeg

This is the VERO post in case anyone is interested, which is of the northern lights (green) and it expresses “HOPE” for #RestoreTheSnyderVerse:

https://vero.co/gersonbarrera/3sn-Pvffz3mvFNHsp1xK2686
Now with the theme of the Batmobile accompanying the green northern lights it may be significant that Zack posted on VERO this never before shared photo 2 days after Christmas which has Batman and the Batmobile bathed in a greenish light, an effect for this shoot that we have never seen done before.

4C095AC5-61DE-40EF-838D-A450AB93987B.png

And it’s worth mentioning as well that Clay Staub, assistant director for ZSJL, has tweeted some very interesting content recently seemingly related to all of this.

Also, remember that on Thanksgiving that Zack famously placed a copy of Final Crisis (comic of Darkseid invading earth) behind his Thanksgiving turkey. With what to some looked like a “script bible” sitting on top of it.

B9985AE9-B4C7-4990-B608-DB62D1CBEAC4.jpeg

And finally, intriguingly, Ezra Miller posted this in reaction to fans upset at the Snyderverse being erased:

DBA28118-F7D3-44E6-83C7-F4E978C3E0A6.jpeg

Alright. So what are we to make of all this? Well anyone well acquainted with the Snyderverse is by now keenly aware that Zack loves to place Easter eggs and provide cryptic hints into almost everything he creates. Certainly in his movies but especially his VERO posts. He did this masterfully during the period that he grew support and anticipation among the fan base for the Snyder cut of JL. He created a social media juggernaut, i.e., Snyderverse Twitter fandom or “Zack’s Army” as Grace Randolph once coined it, that imo changed the landscape for relationship between director, audience, and studio. We’re actually at a critical point with that right now with the tension between the old guard at WB and hopefully Discovery taking over in May with a vision that recognizes just how powerful all this is and has the business sense to embrace it.

So to simply shrug off as insignificant the Easter eggs Zack has posted since Thanksgiving is unwise imo. These things mean something. (Heh, it now makes me think of of a momentarily deflated Clark saying in BvS that Superman was “just the dream of a farmer in Kansas” and Lois touching the “hope” sigil on his chest and reminding him “this means something!”)

I think one of two things is happening.

1) Discovery has been having talks with Snyder, and David Zaslav is keen to bring Zack back to complete JL 2 and 3. They know how much excitement this will generate. However WB’s executive leadership feels humiliated by AT&T having insisted on completion and release of the Snyder cut, and ZSJL’s massive success (which WB has of course tried to bury). ZSJL shows how just how incredibly poor WB’s judgment has been, and how badly they have bungled the DCEU overall (particularly alongside the thriving MCU). In reaction to Discovery courting Snyder again WB is exerting the autonomy it still has to vindictively try to drive a stake through the heart of the Snyderverse before that WB regime is replaced in May. It’s akin to a scorched earth policy in military history.

If this scenario is right, then we’ll see WB Discovery double down in May with the multiverse idea, such that it is understood that there are simply many different parallel universes, each with their own stories taking place, same as happens in the comics. This new rebooted Justice League will be it’s own universe. The Reeves Batman trilogy will be it’s own universe. And the saga that Zack will finish out will be it‘s own discreet universe. WB Discovery won’t be able to undo the new course that WB has set with the “rebooted” DCEU. But they can allow the Snyderverse—or at the very least completion of Zack’s five film saga—to exist in parallel.

I personally expect JL 2 and 3 to be a smash hit. So therefore I think we will see a Cyborg film, Martian Manhunter Film, Atom film, Deathstroke film, etc., spin-off from the success of the Snyder five film saga. I actually doubt however that Ben Affleck will do anything further as Batman after getting killed off on JL2 or 3. I suspect he will not. He has signaled that he wants to focus on making more intimate, personal types of dramas. But I do think he will see through his arc as Batman for Zack.

In this scenario among the fractured DC fandom there is at least a variety, even if many fans don’t care for what other takes are being used in other DC universes. Without one side or the other “winning out” it avoids bitter resentments and might make it possible psychologically for a lot of fans to be able to enjoy the other offerings that otherwise might not have interested them In the first place. Since they got what they wanted, they are free to entertain the other things, etc.

2) WB Discovery, i.e., David Zaslav, will support the old guard Hollywood studio good old boy network, i.e., here represented by Toby Emmerich. He won’t rock the boat and will supprt the Snyderverse being snuffed out. Henry Cavil gone. 70 y/o Michael Keaton mentoring Black Canary, passing the mantle of the Bat to Batgirl. And Supergirl replacing Superman. Affleck done for good. Hoping that fans take to Robert Pattinson as a new younger Batman in his universe.

Here’s the thing for me: I can’t see Zack Snyder clearly signaling hope to us via his VERO posts unless it’s option (1) above. He knows how important this is to his fan base. And he’s got other great things going at Netflix. He doesn’t need to keep egging fans on about #RestoreTheSnyderVerse unless… well, unless a deal with Discovery has actually been struck, honestly. By everyone’s account that has ever worked with Zack Snyder he is a sweet, loving, and considerate person. He’s not a raging narcissist. I don’t think he’s just riding high on ego by posting this stuff.

Anyway that’s a lot to sift through. Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
So would Discovery acquiring WB be the same thing if hypothetically Disney bought Sony (movie department)?

If anything, with all the teasing that’s done by Zack and others it all adds to the fire.

Ezra confirming Snyderverse won’t be erased, leakers confirming Bats and Supes getting replaced in the main universe, which could be a sign they want to keep Ben and Henry mainly in the Snyderverse because those two are character wise too connected to it.

Exciting times ahead boys.

Last edited:
Grace Randolph has enough of a history of not knowing what she's talking about that I wouldn't put stock in anything she says.

I agree, although in this case might well have merit because this report is actually totally consistent with how WB has behaved towards Snyder and the Snyderverse.

But in the third sentence, OP literally says but hypothetically assume it's true, which, again, based on that source isn't something we should do. Bread crumbs from Snyder and others are one thing. BS from Grace Randolph is something different.
Yes apologies I should’ve clarified. Grace is pretty unreliable but the leak has been confirmed by other leakers who are much reliable.

Yes apologies I should’ve clarified. Grace is pretty unreliable but the leak has been confirmed by other leakers who are much reliable.

Yeah it's getting confirmation. Daniel Richtman, for example, retweeting a claim that it will reboot but will not undo the Snyderverse. Which is very much in line with option (1) I outlined above.

I'd like to see the Snyderverse intact as WB doesn't seem to be able to come up with some other solid plan (at least for the moment). Keep these as separate parts of a multiverse as that seems to work and be the next big superhero thing. DC did it first in the 80s with Crisis On Infinite Earths but MCU has already beat you to it (and continuing soon).

Same here. Despite its controversial decisions among fans, I personally liked the Snyderverse, especially after ZS JL, like many people. Not interested at this point in whatever idiotic direction they want to go in because they think they know what the fans want better than what the fans do.

If another multiverse is what they are looking for, why not just reboot the whole thing over. A new Superman, Batman, etc. Warner doesnt know what the **** they are doing. I really feel like they should just abandon the whole connected thing and just go for stand alone movies.

DCEU is dead to me. Has been since I wasted my time watching a girl sniffing a sweater and a one minute slow mo coffee in rain scene, utter garbage. This scenario of a no Batman, no Superman JL is beyond moronic and only justifies me not watching anything they ever do again. Hope they enjoy failing.

I think a lot of people in the Snyder fandom heard this rumor and immediately jumped to worse case scenarios. Nothing has been proven anywhere yet and it's very possible WB could both be going forward with a new DCEU with Keaton and coming back to finish the Snyderverse as it's own self contained story.

In some small way, I hope that scenario is legit. I want to see if they have the cajones to go that route and expect it to be a money maker for them.

I just don't care at this point. Even the Batfleck hype died for me. Give me a self-contained Lantern Saga, in whatever screwed up direction they end up following, and I'll be happy. I'm much more interested in Battinson than anything else from DC. I've really come to dig the whole grunge aesthetic which has made my interest in Batfleck obsolete. He looked swole, and I especially liked his actual Bruce Wayne look with the grey temples. But all the choices they made him were the wrong ones, the costume ended up looking worse and worse to me, and I didn't particularly care for his journey. The "jaded man becomes wholesome again" type doesn't appeal to me much. Emo Gen Xer Batman though has my attention. If I want Tank Batman I'll go replay the Arkham games. Nosferatu 90s/00s-Core Batman is my jam.

sample-09b7112fbc7131fda8230bdd6799a038.jpg

I just hope that no matter what ends up happening, they give me a bloody Lantern Epic at some point. SnyderVerse, New DCEU, another Reboot, what-the-Hell-ever. I don't care, I just want to see the Lanterns. There's that HBO Max show but it sounds atrocious. I'll still watch it because it's GL, but, yeah... *********, I just want my Lantern War...

OC6Z4re.jpg

Honestly I’m fine at this point. I tried staying on board but they don’t have a vision or plan for what they want. So whatever happens happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back