Shifting perspective on collecting for Snyderverse figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alatar

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just sharing some thoughts here on an often heated subject to try to give it a cooler, healthy reframe… Apologies in advance for such a tl;dr post!

In a conversation with @T800 recently I realized that my perspective has subtly shifted when it comes to collecting figures for Henry Cavill’s Superman, Ben Affleck’s Batman, Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman, Jason Mamoa’s Aquaman, Ezra Miller’s Flash, and Ray Fisher’s Cyborg. Plus any supporting characters from Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and Zack Snyder’s Justice League like Batman’s so-called “Knightmare League,” or the villains, etc.

First to lay the foundation for this…

Zack Snyder’s DC trilogy tends to be polarizing. MoS is a decade old now and it is still hotly debated to this day. I sincerely respect that there are those for whom it isn’t to their taste. To put the shoe on the other foot, I’m sure there’s a great chance that there are movies that haters of Zack’s DC trilogy love to death that leave me cold. But to my mind film appreciation is ultimately subjective in nature. By definition, really. The reasons why a film strikes a deep chord or rubs someone the wrong way are ultimately personal. So I don’t even look at films as objectively “good“ or “bad” anymore. When people use such terms as good and bad, in my opinion they are really just saying “I personally like or dislike such and such.“ At least when you get down to the direct experience of a film. And, who am I to judge about anyone’s personal taste and their idiosyncratic reasons behind it? People in glass houses, and all that.

But in any event, there are those of us for whom the trilogy of MoS/BvS/ZSJL was a glorious event in our lifetimes. It was a really important event in our appreciation of DC superheroes. This has a strong parallel to my experience of Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy two decades ago. I grew up being disappointed by Ralph Bakshi‘s attempt to make LotR in animated form. I just assumed that as a live action event, the story was basically unfilmable. But then, lo and behold, the technology arrived at a point where it was achievable. And in most every respect Peter Jackson knocked the ball out of the park.

For me what Snyder did with his trilogy was astonishing. MoS, BvS, and ZSJL not only brought the characters to life in live action in a way that made it feel like they could really exist, Snyder also added a meta-textual layer to the storytelling that surprised me tremendously. I’ll briefly explain…

By the time MoS came out I hadn’t read any comics since I was a boy. Superheroes didn’t interest me as an adult. I hadn’t even watched a single one of the Nolan Batman films. When 1978 Superman and 1989 Batman released I had a fun time watching them in the theater, sure. And I watched the films that followed with each worse than the former. I had resigned myself to the expectation that superhero mythology will never be satisfying to me as an adult. Since about the turn of the millennium, my fantasy-adventure itch had shifted from a love of superheroes and sci-fi as a kid to a love of D&D game mechanics, the Forgotten Realms fantasy setting, the Baldur’s Gate CRPG, and Neverwinter Nights persistent world toolsetting and lore writing.

But to return to the topic, yes, naturally I was awed by the visual artistry and realism of the Snyder films. But I was also struck deeply by what Snyder did with his trilogy as commentary on the evolution of superhero mythology in pop culture. I appreciated that auteurism.

I loved the Silver Age DC comics I grew up with as a child. But by early 2014 when I first watched MoS, I knew zip about the comic genre’s evolution into the Bronze Age and beyond. What Snyder did by applying the same philosophical project that Alan Moore used with Watchmen to Superman and Batman inspired me to delve into learning about Alan Moore’s Watchmen, and what deconstruction of the superhero genre is. That brought me also to Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, The Death of Superman, Red Son, Flashpoint: Paradox, and so on.

It was obvious to me personally that I was clearly more attracted to “elseworld” tales that very purposefully defy and shake up genre conventions. I suppose it’s worth noting that the natural evolution of the genre does this over time, as well. But my point is that I much preferred the stories that were stark and kind of radical departures from the canon, and broke the rules of genre conventions and tropes. Like alternate universes where history had unfolded differently, etc.

(Note: If anyone requests I can list a series of articles written by Darren Mooney of Escapist magazine that detail Snyder’s commentary on the evolution of superhero mythology wonderfully. Mooney is a true comic nerd and I think he really does get what Snyder was doing.)

So not only did I get to see my most cherished superheroes, the DC pantheon, brought to life in live action in a visually stunning, real feeling way; I also got to appreciate them through what is for me a relatively mature adult lens. I never in a million years expected that to happen. But once I got it, I realized how much it meant to me. It’s a big deal for me.

In any event, my two top personal favorite film experiences of all time are Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings and Zack Snyder’s “Snyderverse.” And the realization that Snyder’s five film saga will unfortunately never be completed via live action is definitely a huge downer for me. But I’m gradually getting to the point that I can accept it emotionally as a fact of life.

I’m not excited by what will replace the Snyderverse but I’m still waiting to see how my feelings evolve about the Flash, for example. See here if you’re interested in my take on it:

The big realization I made when chatting with @T800 about it, is that as a figure collector I will adopt that same sense that I have already for LotR to MoS/BvS/ZSJL. I’ll probably be collecting upgraded figures for LotR for the rest of my life! I love that story and film trilogy so much that I’ll always want the best possible representation of the characters on my display shelf. Same goes for the Snyderverse. It’s the same thing, really.

I also am daring to hope that we will eventually get to see the saga completed as an animated series. It’s definitely the second best option to live action films with actors before they get too old to play the parts. But if the animated films are of Owls of Ga’Hoole quality for example, that could be pretty damn sweet. And really and truly Zack would have total freedom to tell the story exactly as he envisoned it. As for figure collecting, when I look at what Soosoo managed to pull of with Omni-Man from Invincible, I’m actually optimistic that the 1/6 figures of an animated ZSJL 2 and 3 could look astonishingly good.

Last edited:
I’ll be amazed if anyone actually reads that.

(In other words, I wrote that for myself, essentially. No regrets, though! 😜)

Tl;dr:

Basically I’m over-explaining why I’m personally viewing MoS/BvS/ZSJL as similar to LotR, i.e., why I can still dote on it as a collector even though it’s over and won’t continue, etc.

Last edited:
With the rumors circulating that Sasha Calle and Michael Keaton were cut from the movie’s ending and that there’s now a former Batman who will continue as a Batman Beyond style Bruce Wayne figure, I’m wondering if Affleck agreed to the gig. He’s rumored to be directing The Brave and the Bold. Also, didn't James Gunn say a while back that he spoke with Ben about directing a DC film and Ben said he's interested?

And that would indeed be a very smart play for Gunn to make. Like if Ben says, yeah, I really want to do this then that could go a long way to take some of the bad taste out of Snyderverse fans’ mouths.

Last edited:
With the rumors circulating that Sasha Calle and Michael Keaton were cut from the movie’s ending and that there’s now a former Batman who will continue as a Batman Beyond BW figure, I’m wondering if Affleck agreed to the gig. He’s rumored to be directing The Brave and the Bold. Also, didn't James Gunn say a while back that he spoke with Ben about directing a DC film and Ben said he's interested?

And that would indeed be a very smart play for Gunn to make. Like if Ben says, yeah, I really want to do this then that could go a long way to take some of the bad taste out of Snyderverse fans’ mouths.
Rumors are really strong that its Clooney.

Also, as a DC fan in general, Im looking forward to this new stuff. I love the snyderverse, but the baggage was just way too much. From toxic fans, toxic haters, toxic scoopers. Just toxicity just surrounded it at all times. I'm ready to move on.

I also think its a bit premature to dismiss these next batch of movies without even seeing one frame. And its not even the full idea. Anyways. Here's to new DC movies. Hopefully they are great. Looking forward to new ( hopefully a blue and gray batman) character designs.

My perspective has shifted to be less interested in the Snyderverse overall. The Snyder films were okay but ultimately they led nowhere and are done.

Not saying people can’t be fans but it’s time to just let it die. It’s not coming back. There were problems with it basically from the get go and DC is still trying to recover to this day.

I like Cavill and Affleck respectively but I don’t feel a need to get more figures from any of the Snyder films.

My perspective has shifted to be less interested in the Snyderverse overall. The Snyder films were okay but ultimately they led nowhere and are done.

Not saying people can’t be fans but it’s time to just let it die. It’s not coming back. There were problems with it basically from the get go and DC is still trying to recover to this day.

I like Cavill and Affleck respectively but I don’t feel a need to get more figures from any of the Snyder films.

Haha, its unintentionally amusing—which is always cool imo—but I write this long ass essay on what it’s all meant to me (God help me, so sad!) and folks that ain’t into it are like yeah, well, tbh I’m really glad it’s gone actually. 😂

I get it though! (Your response is perfectly normal and appropriate, I mean. It’s honest and straightforward, etc.)

Last edited:

Tl;dr:

Basically I’m over-explaining why I’m personally viewing MoS/BvS/ZSJL as similar to LotR, i.e., why I can still dote on it as a collector even though it’s over and won’t continue, etc.
I read it and enjoyed taking in your perspective.

As you may remember I hated the first version of the Justice League, it made my not want to have anything to do with anything connected to that story in the future. But after listening to you and a few others here I decided to watch the “Snyder cut” and loved the film.

As far as collecting the figures is concerned I will get the main figures as long as they are well done regardless of what happens in the DCU. As stated before I was a Marvel Comics guy as a kid and as an adult (well into adulthood) although I haven’t collected comics in decades Marvel characters still have much more resonance for me personally. But there are several DC characters that I like and am (would be)happy to add to my collection: Batman, WW, Flash, Superman (hard to NOT have him), Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Cyborg, and a few villains.

To this point (IMO) the DCU or DCEU or whatever has largely been a disjointed, incoherent mess with a few “good” films mixed in here and there. I have no idea what will happen with this reboot that is taking place currently, at this point it feels just as if not more messy than what had been going on before. That said I do hope they find some way to put together a well made coherent “Universe” and give these characters the dignity they deserve.

So I’m short, if Hot Toys can replicate high quality 1/6 scale versions of well designed cool looking DC characters I like, I will buy them regardless of what DC puts on the screen. A great example of my approach is the fact that I have Black Adam (Gold Armor) on PO …says it all.

Ok read it and what a great read it was well done Alatar! :rock

As a diehard Miller Returns fan I have NO problem declaring that Snyder’s Armored Batman from BvS surpassed the original armored design!

BvS Armored costume is a timeless design as far as I’m concerned!

I will pay whatever Inart asks for their version.

I also love BvS non armored costume and while i don’t think that it surpasses the original like the armored does it still is a great representation, not recreation, of the original aesthetics.

Where Snyder dropped the ball aesthetically was with the JL Batman costume. I loathe that damn ugly design with a passion.

But I fully agree with you I will always upgrade to the best version of the characters I love!

Tl;dr:

As I’m typing this I’m watching the superbowl so I’ll read your other post later, but as for your TL;DR, I agree with that. I loved Zack’s trilogy of films (my favorite rendition of Batman, Superman and WW ever) and will happily collect them even though it’s done and over with. Too bad there is no good Darkseid in 1/6, as I’d love to get one (I’m not counting the trash third party release, even though people are customizing it to look good), or Steppenwolf.
Just because it’s over doesn’t mean we can stop loving the films and collecting from them. LOTR, the original Star Wars, Nolan’s Batman, all are gone and over but I’ll happily buy stuff from them.

As I’m typing this I’m watching the superbowl so I’ll read your other post later, but as for your TL;DR, I agree with that. I loved Zack’s trilogy of films (my favorite rendition of Batman, Superman and WW ever) and will happily collect them even though it’s done and over with. Too bad there is no good Darkseid in 1/6, as I’d love to get one (I’m not counting the trash third party release, even though people are customizing it to look good), or Steppenwolf.
Just because it’s over doesn’t mean we can stop loving the films and collecting from them. LOTR, the original Star Wars, Nolan’s Batman, all are gone and over but I’ll happily buy stuff from them.

Yep, OG Star wars trilogy is a great example as well!

Ok read it and what a great read it was well done Alatar! :rock

As a diehard Miller Returns fan I have NO problem declaring that Snyder’s Armored Batman from BvS surpassed the original armored design!

BvS Armored costume is a timeless design as far as I’m concerned!

I will pay whatever Inart asks for their version.

I also love BvS non armored costume and while i don’t think that it surpasses the original like the armored does it still is a great representation, not recreation, of the original aesthetics.

Where Snyder dropped the ball aesthetically was with the JL Batman costume. I loathe that damn ugly design with a passion.

But I fully agree with you I will always upgrade to the best version of the characters I love!

Thank you for reading it, lol. I’m always a little embarrassed when I do these kinds of posts because it feels self-indulgent in a way. But there’s a psychological need inside me to express it, so it is what it is. And folks can read or ignore, or anything in between, and its all good to me.

I’m struck by how much better… well, to my eye anyway... the JL Batsuit looks in ZSJL versus Josstice League. In the two respective films I mean. Like the cowl just looks better across the board in ZSJL. Snyder and Fabian Wagner knew how to film it to get some relatively flattering angles on it. It looks like it’s made of a fuzzier material than the BvS cowl. And there’s a subtle bluish tint to both the cowl and suit that works for me.

The BvS suit is superior for sure. Hands down. I’ve read that Iron Studios actually designed it but Michael Wilkinson took credit for it. And a lawsuit ensued, so that is why the suit changed for JL.

The Hot Toys version of the the standard JL suit is imo just bad. For some reason they made the suit and cowl black. But the main problem is that the cowl is egg shaped. It’s a complete misstep.

I want to see InArt make a version of the ZSJL standard Batsuit that’s true to the best angles on it in ZSJL in the tunnel sequence.

5AB4941F-C214-425C-A658-E77550067DE5.jpeg

Thank you for reading it, lol. I’m always a little embarrassed when I do these kinds of posts because it feels self-indulgent in a way. But there’s a psychological need inside me to express it, so it is what it is. And folks can read or ignore, or anything in between, and its all good to me.

I’m struck by how much better… well, to my eye anyway... the JL Batsuit looks in ZSJL versus Josstice League. In the two respective films I mean. Like the cowl just looks better across the board in ZSJL. Snyder and Fabian Wagner knew how to film it to get some relatively flattering angles on it. It looks like it’s made of a fuzzier material than the BvS cowl. And there’s a subtle bluish tint to both the cowl and suit that works for me.

The BvS suit is superior for sure. Hands down. I’ve read that Iron Studios actually designed it but Michael Wilkinson took credit for it. And a lawsuit ensued, so that is why the suit changed for JL.

The Hot Toys version of the the standard JL suit is imo just bad. For some reason they made the suit and cowl black. But the main problem is that the cowl is egg shaped. It’s a complete misstep.

I want to see InArt make a version of the ZSJL standard Batsuit that’s true to the best angles on it in ZSJL in the tunnel sequence.

View attachment 622653
Dude you got nothing on Victor lol

Great post and I feel the same way. There’s nothing like it and there won’t ever be I fear, definitely not now. One grail of mine is BvS Batman and I really hope it’s the suit InArt does. I passed on HT’s attempt back then and still don’t regret it.

Great post and I feel the same way. There’s nothing like it and there won’t ever be I fear, definitely not now. One grail of mine is BvS Batman and I really hope it’s the suit InArt does. I passed on HT’s attempt back then and still don’t regret it.

Thanks! Judging from Gandalf the Gray and Aragorn anything InArt makes for the Snyderverse I will buy. But BvS is peak for all the suits, I would say.

Tl;dr:

I didn't read it, but I plan on selling off almost all of my DC figures (and some Marvel too). Just focusing on Star Wars.

Only just seen this now. I wonder why we don't get told when we are tagged in something.

A great write-up!

In regards to the JL suit. It's night and day between JL2017 and ZSJL. Zack knows how to light everything. Some people might not appreciate how the movies look overall, too dark etc but he can make anyone or anything look the best it can possibly look.

Does anyone know if there is a (3rd party) manufacturer that makes a Snyderverse Alfred figure? I tried looking for information, but couldn't find anything, didn't want to make a separate thread, so I figured I might as well ask here.

I got my ZSJL Knightmare Batman and Superman a couple of weeks back and now I'm looking to expand my Snyderverse/DCEU collection. I pre-ordered the Wonder Woman '84 figure and I'm looking into Cyborg. I expect there will be new figures for Flash and Aquaman from their new movies. Seeing that the Snyderverse will seemingly be coming to an end with The Flash, I figured this is the time to act.

Back