Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah if anyone tries to paint this movie as a failure they are dead wrong, true that next weeks box office is still critical BUT lets also remember that this opening was large EVEN with the bad reviews holding it back.

I'm guessing had it received great reviews that maybe it would've broken 200, but a failure it is not.

Lets also remember that AOU had the Manny Paquin fight and BvS had Basketball March Madness affecting box office.

Important thing to take away from this is that it beat DP's opening! :lol

Would've been bad for WB had it not!

I'm still explaining to the wife 2 days later. :lol

This is the core of the problem with DC rushing to play catch up, they're cramming too much detail and in the process they're not exposing regular people (not us) to their universe in an appropriate manner.

While I don't think comic book fanatics should have to apologize for the general public not comprehending the stories we all still need to understand that in our rush to defend what we love that there are critics out there made up of "regular" people who are not going to get it.

I know this is the part where DC fans will come in and say that MCU fans need everything spoon fed to them while DC respects their fans by telling mature serious drama in a very dramatic fashion and this is where I say be prepared to be put in your place by DiFabio, kara, a-dev and khev! :lol

Marvel is telling their stories in the same serious manner as WB, just with more dance offs. :lol

The only problem I have thus far with DC approach is two films in and I don't have a good connection with Superman...(tho better with BvS). It's difficult to invest in characters when you don't have the draw to them. No one has an attachment to Bats because he won't allow it.....but Supes come on :lol

The only problem I have thus far with DC approach is two films in and I don't have a good connection with Superman...(tho better with BvS). It's difficult to invest in characters when you don't have the draw to them. No one has an attachment to Bats because he won't allow it.....but Supes come on :lol

Pretty much what DiFabio is saying, having 2 psychos diminishes the real one. :lol

This movie would have had pretty much the same opening weekend regardless of reviews, I think. Had Nolan made it, would have probably made the same amount.
My point was that I've noticed most of the same people who don't like the Nolan films really like this one.

I think the reviews only affected the weekend total by a million at most.

Wow, this 2.5 hour flick just flew by. I enjoyed it. Agree with everyone that is has bit that should have been left on the floor. Lex was ok. My main complaint was not seeing the heroes do much of their thing. But yea team up flick. I wanted to see Superman doing more Superman stuff. Seeing him perform his feats and then getting appreciation by the DOTD crowd was awesome. Batman I think got enough exposure. And of course Moar Wonder Woman!!

Doomsday had no pants. But since he had no pecker, guess he didn't need any....... But he was wasted. Unless he can be brought back as well, which would be right for the character. He better have his spikes. And not be 30 feet tall. But it was kewl seeing a movie Superman take on a monster. But it was one he should half delt with himself.

This is the core of the problem with DC rushing to play catch up, they're cramming too much detail and in the process they're not exposing regular people (not us) to their universe in an appropriate manner.

I had no problem with how DC showed Aqua, Flash and Cyborg. They were presented to Diana the same way they were shown to us. Having them get their start in a team up will prolly have their individual movies have more successful box office. The placement of the clip was just odd. Should have been a after credits thing. Marvel be damned.

And just how close are Gotham and Metropolis??? Always thought Metropolis = New York and Gotham = Detroit/Chicago?

And my armored Batman doll better come with a sink.

Wow, this 2.5 hour flick just flew by. I enjoyed it. Agree with everyone that is has bit that should have been left on the floor. Lex was ok. My main complaint was not seeing the heroes do much of their thing. But yea team up flick. I wanted to see Superman doing more Superman stuff. Seeing him perform his feats and then getting appreciation by the DOTD crowd was awesome. Batman I think got enough exposure. And of course Moar Wonder Woman!!

Doomsday had no pants. But since he had no pecker, guess he didn't need any....... But he was wasted. Unless he can be brought back as well, which would be right for the character. He better have his spikes. And not be 30 feet tall. But it was kewl seeing a movie Superman take on a monster. But it was one he should half delt with himself.

I had no problem with how DC showed Aqua, Flash and Cyborg. They were presented to Diana the same way they were shown to us. Having them get their start in a team up will prolly have their individual movies have more successful box office. The placement of the clip was just odd. Should have been a after credits thing. Marvel be damned.

And just how close are Gotham and Metropolis??? Always thought Metropolis = New York and Gotham = Detroit/Chicago?

And my armored Batman doll better come with a sink.

:lol :lol :lol

Yeah if anyone tries to paint this movie as a failure they are dead wrong, true that next weeks box office is still critical BUT lets also remember that this opening was large EVEN with the bad reviews holding it back.

I'm guessing had it received great reviews that maybe it would've broken 200, but a failure it is not.

Lets also remember that AOU had the Manny Paquin fight and BvS had Basketball March Madness affecting box office.

Important thing to take away from this is that it beat DP's opening! :lol

Would've been bad for WB had it not!

regardless what the stupid RT score is for this movie, I think this is easily better than two of the movies that had a better opening weekend in IM 3 and AOU. The ppl I talked to knew about the bad reviews, but they all had to see it for themselves, so I don't think the bad reviews stopped many to begin with.

regardless what the stupid RT score is for this movie, I think this is easily better than two of the movies that had a better opening weekend in IM 3 and AOU. The ppl I talked to knew about the bad reviews, but they all had to see it for themselves, so I don't think the bad reviews stopped many to begin with.

Us diehards it doesn't affect (other than crows :lol) but I had regular people asking me if they should go or not because of the reviews.

:slap

I have a lot of hate for the mainstream reviewers now. How could they paint a picture of a good, not great movie into one of the worst movies ever? So much ill will towards a film makes me feel like they have an ax to grind with Snyder, WB and/or have Disney in their pocket trying to knock back the competition. These reviewers seem to have their reviews ready to hate immediately after screenings early last week. I follow Rob Liefeld on Twitter and it was bad after bad review he retweeted. A 29% on Rotten Tomatoes? While there is a 79% with audiences? That's a significant disparity. Whilst Star Wars TFA got a 92%? It was a remake of A New Hope and apparently is one of the greatest movies reviewed of all time.

I feel wholeheartedly that the reviews are unwarranted. I can't really call it a "mess" because I feel like everything was in there for a reason. It was a very dense, very fastidious slow burn of a movie that set up a lot of world building and, outside of the visions (which I see as being akin to something like Breaking Bad's cold opens; theyre supposed to be jarring and mysterious, and, for what it's worth, each one tied in thematically with what was going on in the story). There's a lot of subtlety in it, as well that I feel goes unnoticed because, frankly, I don't think people were expecting it. I'm one of those people. I totally missed Luthor explaining his motivations because I was so focused on what was going on with some other characters at that point.

I'll admit that's not the ideal moviegoing experience, and I can understand why people would have a problem with that, but, ultimately, I feel like all of the pieces are there and they tie together far more cohesively than some would give them credit for in the end.

I have a lot of hate for the mainstream reviewers now. How could they paint a picture of a good, not great movie into one of the worst movies ever? So much ill will towards a film makes me feel like they have an ax to grind with Snyder, WB and/or have Disney in their pocket trying to knock back the competition. These reviewers seem to have their reviews ready to hate immediately after screenings early last week. I follow Rob Liefeld on Twitter and it was bad after bad review he retweeted. A 29% on Rotten Tomatoes? While there is a 79% with audiences? That's a significant disparity. Whilst Star Wars TFA got a 92%? It was a remake of A New Hope and apparently is one of the greatest movies reviewed of all time.

Before you get attacked part of me agrees with you.

Ok, now enjoy your pummeling. :lol

I feel wholeheartedly that the reviews are unwarranted. I can't really call it a "mess" because I feel like everything was in there for a reason. It was a very dense, very fastidious slow burn of a movie that set up a lot of world building and, outside of the visions (which I see as being akin to something like Breaking Bad's cold opens; theyre supposed to be jarring and mysterious, and, for what it's worth, each one tied in thematically with what was going on in the story). There's a lot of subtlety in it, as well that I feel goes unnoticed because, frankly, I don't think people were expecting it. I'm one of those people. I totally missed Luthor explaining his motivations because I was so focused on what was going on with some other characters at that point.

I'll admit that's not the ideal moviegoing experience, and I can understand why people would have a problem with that, but, ultimately, I feel like all of the pieces are there and they tie together far more cohesively than some would give them credit for in the end.

But that Lois subplot with the bullet when the audience already knew it was Luthor from the start. :slap

Do we really need to see a kid diving for kryptonite? Just say that it was found in the ocean, 1 sentence and done, same effect!

Cut that out and use those few minutes for core narrative content!

That world engine in the background looked really bad anyways! :lol

Before you get attacked part of me agrees with you.

Ok, now enjoy your pummeling. :lol

But that Lois subplot with the bullet when the audience akready knew it was Luthor from the start. :slap

Do we really need to see a kid diving for kryptonite? Just say that it was found in the ocean, 1 sentence and done, same effect!

Cut that out and use those few minutes for core narrative content!

That world engine in the background looked really bad anyways! :lol

The Batmobile chase looked like bad video game graphics

The Bruce Wayne perspective of the MOS events at the start was fantastic. That sold how serious it was better than MOS itself actually did with Superman and Lois having their first kiss amid the devastation, Superman smugly destroying a drone and giving attitude to the general and then everyone at Daily Planet smiling and going about their day like the city hadn't just been met with a 9/11-topping event.

I would understand if everyone reviewing the movie were die hard comic book nerds cause they seem to have their own expectations for what they wanted to see, but yea, as a general movie goer, it doesn't make sense. I liked TFA, but I didn't feel that movie matched the hype at all, it was good, but I thought this was really good too. In the end, this movie will do fine, but whoever employs some of those critics have to ask themselves WTH they were watching.

Back