Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a simple search and pulled the number. 3 is actually a low number and giving you the benefit, I went with it. 1 million isn't massive, its small potatoes. You can disagree, but it doesnt change the fact that if it was a big as you are saying, we would have Snyderverse movies, instead of a reboot.
If its the highest trending number EVER for a movie how can it be low?

I'm not basing it on nothing though. It's possible Gunn's version could come and be great. Currently though if I look at based on what Gunn has made so far it is going to be bloody terrible.
I went to watch The Batman in IMAX opening weekend, took my eldest son with me. It was so exceedingly average. Inconsistent with a stupid Batamn, not for me.
That's exactly what people said about Gunn before he made Guardians of the Galaxy. Like it or not, it was a huge success and surprised everyone. That's what the execs are counting on from Gunn.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=HOW+M...19304812AB079701D50C3938&ghsh=0&ghacc=0&ghpl=
https://www.bing.com/search?q=HOW+M...CE4449408B10B59FA0910EE9&ghsh=0&ghacc=0&ghpl=
https://www.bing.com/search?q=HOW+M...4B5A434BB1A674FC768C0E30&ghsh=0&ghacc=0&ghpl=
https://www.bing.com/search?q=HOW+M...E5C24A14A6F94395B31D0C6E&ghsh=0&ghacc=0&ghpl=

And together those four movies cost a estimated 975 million dollars. That is a LOSS of money for the studio. a 100 million dollar loss.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+m...=edge..69i57j0l8.8813j0j9&FORM=ANAB01&PC=U531
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2856945153/weekend/

Conversely since you tried to use Buckaroo Banzai as a "dig" on my argument. Bucakroo Banzai cost about 7million to make and only made a little over 6 million.

Looking at the numbers even though both are failures in the eyes of the Studio. The Snyderverse is the bigger failure with over 100million lost then Buckaroo Banzai at less then a million lost.
His Justice League didn't go to theatres.
MoS, BvS, SS and Wonder Woman ALL made money. No idea where you get LOSS from.

If its the highest trending number EVER for a movie how can it be low?
Because 1 million people is not a lot of people when you consider how many people there are who watch movies, are on social media, let alone how many people there are in the world.

His Justice League didn't go to theatres.
MoS, BvS, SS and Wonder Woman ALL made money. No idea where you get LOSS from.
The loss was the number you gave me of what the 4 movies made, put against the estimated costs of the movies. ZSJL gets considered in that because the budget for it INCLUDES the budget for the original JL, and does count against and money made by the ZS movies.

The number you gave (which I didnt check by the way, I just went with the number you gave giving you the advantage assuming you may have inflated the number. If you have other numbers please present them because I too thought the ZS movie did make some money but not gangbusters like was expected) was a estimated 800 million for all 4 movies.

Because 1 million people is not a lot of people when you consider how many people there are who watch movies, are on social media, let alone how many people there are in the world.
That's like saying the highest high jump isn't high because there are more people that have been higher and there are higher things.

That's like saying the highest high jump isn't high because there are more people that have been higher and there are higher things.
No. It's not like that. You are comparing a recorded feat by one person against a certain population of people who were motivated to tweet something on social media. One is a feat that required training, skill, and strength. The other is people just hitting a button on their smart phones.

Which considering how many people there are on social media and the world, that only 1 million people felt motivated to tweet it, is not really impressive, its a small number in the scope of things.

I know we’ve probably discussed this before but to call the stuff he said on Twitter just “stupid jokes” is definitely underplaying the whole situation. He’s said some very disgusting things in a non-joking manner so I completely understand why people would be upset. I’m always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt and his apology and statement following did at least seem sincere.

I hated his suicide squad. His style of humor doesn’t mesh well at all. But the one bright spot to me was Jonn Cena as peacemaker, I have yet to watch that show but Im sure i will at some point.

The whole Cavill situation sucks. WB/James Gunn did him dirty. They shot themselves in the foot with that one.
I thought the stuff on Twitter was a combination of stupid, repulsive, and, in some cases, even funny, but I’ll just say this: the dude came up under Lloyd Kaufman making Troma movies. Those movies are tremendously effed up (lest I be misremembering the preppy antagonists of The Toxic Avenger running down a mentally disabled child on his bike only for us to get a close-up of his head exploding under their tire like a watermelon) and they not only cross any boundaries of good taste, they straight up obliterate them.

That being said, those movies fostered his off-beat sensibilities, the stuff he brought with him to things like Super that, ultimately, led to him getting his Guardians gig. So, it always struck me as incredibly hypocritical that Disney hired him for the Troma weirdness only to fire him for it once it became an issue. I also think it’s worth noting that he apologized for them, unspurred by any external pressure, years prior to there being any controversy and admitted they were stupid and uncalled for, but that the manufactured controversy was, ultimately, the doing of some FOX News “reporter” who was triggered by Gunn’s pointed remarks and vocal opposition to Trump.

Make no mistake: not only did he say some stupid, disgusting ****, he was also dumb to not have deleted it the first time around, but I also think the controversy was largely politicized, as well.

The loss was the number you gave me of what the 4 movies made, put against the estimated costs of the movies. ZSJL gets considered in that because the budget for it INCLUDES the budget for the original JL, and does count against and money made by the ZS movies.

The number you gave (which I didnt check by the way, I just went with the number you gave giving you the advantage assuming you may have inflated the number. If you have other numbers please present them because I too thought the ZS movie did make some money but not gangbusters like was expected) was a estimated 800 million for all 4 movies.
ZSJL didn't get released to theatres. Pretty sure that has been said about 100 times in the thread.

MoS 668m
BvS 872.7
SS 746.8
WW 822.8
777 million average and that was with a heavily messed with SS and 1/6 of BvS missing.

ZSJL didn't get released to theatres. Pretty sure that has been said about 100 times in the thread.

MoS 668m
BvS 872.7
SS 746.8
WW 822.8
777 million average and that was with a heavily messed with SS and 1/6 of BvS missing.
I undertand that it wasn't released in theaters, but JL was and WB looks at the whole end project budget which is ZSJL when it looks at the loss/profit. They have always done that. Example, the actual cost to make Star Trek the Motion Picture wasn't 35 million, it was less, but they add in all the money they spent on the failed TV reboot and all the money spent on all the previous scripts written.

I see you are using Suicide Squad instead of JL which is fine, but odd you leave out all the ZS movies in your numbers.

I'm using the numbers website to pull these.

Man of Steel production budget $225,000,000 (worldwide box office is 3.0 times production budget)

BvS production budget $263,000,000 (worldwide box office is 3.3 times production budget)

Wonder Woman production budget $150,000,000 (worldwide box office is 5.5 times production budget)

Suicide Squad production budget $175,000,000 (worldwide box office is 4.3 times production budget)

First thing that jumps out at me is you meant average per movie not overall, you didnt say that.

Second they did all make money but did they make enough for the Studio to want to continue making them?

I hate to use a MCU move but we are talking Super hero movies.

Ant Man production budget $130,000,000 (worldwide box office is 4.0 times production budget)

I chose Ant Man becuase he is probably the least known super hero to the general public, especially compared to Superman and Batman. As you can see Ant Man out performed both Zach Snyder directed films with two more popular heros, and was done on a smaller budget.

Which brings me to the third thing I noticed. The movies not directed by Snyder did better then the Snyder movies did. That's another important fact and is one that probably led to his eventual ouster.

Here;s another example you might dismiss because its a different genre, but I'm using it as a example how poorly the ZS movies actually did.

Pirates of the Caribbean on Stranger Tides Production budget $379,000,000 (worldwide box office is 2.8 times production budget)

POTC is the most expensive movie ever made and it made just a little less then MoS the 30th most expensive movie ever made and .6 less the BvS the 11th most expensive movie ever made. A movie that cost over 100 million more and that came from a smaller franchise and was by most accounts one of the worst of the series, almost performed better then the ZSDC movies.

Now lets look at the nail in the coffin.

Justice Leage production budget $300,000,000 (worldwide box office is 2.2 times production budget)

Justice League was the 6th most expensive movie ever made. It made less money then POTCST
In addition, we are seeing a trend here with Zach Snyder, his movies are getting more expensive, and giving less profit in return. Knowing what his plans are now for the sequels to JL as awesome as they sounded, they also were going to be even more expensive. MoS was the 30th most expensive, BvS was the 11th most expensive and now JL is the 6th most expensive that's a significant increase in cost per movie. Considering none of these have cracked the billion dollar mark, and the profits were trending downward, why would a studio want to invest more money in a project that didn't even have strong fan base. The movies were very divisive with the general audience vs the Marvel movies at the time which were making a billion each and was loved by the general audience.

Bottom line. DC wanted a Avengers like franchise with billion dollar movies. Zach Snyder had a good plan, but couldn't deliver the billion dollar movies. It's no surprise that the studio pulled the plug on them with the uptrend in cost and the downtrend in profit.

Just for fun I pulled the second most expensive movie ever made which happened to be a MCU movie

Avengers Age of Ulton production cost $365,000,000 (worldwide box office is 3.8 times production budget)

It outperformed both of ZS first DC films, and made over a billion dollars. That is what WB wanted, not what ZS gave them and from all evidence he would never be able to give them that. It also explains why the studio got so involved with JL messing the ZS plan up and eventually ousted him.

Last edited:
I think everyone knew that.
It showed a lot of people including doubters that he was going somewhere with it that more people wanted to see. The trending numbers doubled after it came out.
Meh it was a 7 at best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back