Zack Snyder's Justice League - what's your wish list?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was actualy two AT&T execs, Kevin Reilly and Robert Greenblatt, that championed and pushed through completion of ZSJL. Interestingly both left shortly after succeeding with that. Kilar was at the helm at that time but completing and releasing the Snyder cut was Reilly’s and Greenblatt’s baby.
I knew Alatar would know the details :lol

So per Deadline

“[A]mong those who look likely to stay at the new Warner Bros Discovery are Warner Bros Motion Picture Group Studio chairman Toby Emmerich… [who is]… safe for the time being, we hear.”

https://deadline.com/2022/04/warner...m-cummings-cfo-jennifer-biry-more-1234995710/
Interesting. One quote I found particularly noteworthy.

"Certainly, the jump from the relatively small ship of Discovery to the aircraft carrier that is WarnerMedia will require a steep and fast learning curve on the part of Zaslav, Romm and other members of the Discovery inner circle."

One reason to keep an older WB guy like Emmerich for now. Just hopefully not for ever........

To be totally honest the main thing I care about personally is that, at a minimum, Snyder gets to complete his saga. Theoretically with this acquisition by Discovery there could be a whole new division created that allows Snyder creative freedom within HBO Max, with no interference from the division that is currently run by Emmerich and Hamada, and Zack can finish the saga out as an 8 episode miniseries or something like that. But because I do believe that would be highly successful, I also believe it would spawn spinoffs. In particular I want to see Henry Cavill get two more solo Superman films. If Ben Affleck is up for it, I want to see his Batman face off against Deathstroke. I want a Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, and Atom film. I want a division of WBD in which those things can happen. I don't give a **** about Toby Emmerich and Walter Hamada personally, or who they work for, or what job they do, or any of that. I just don't want them interfering with Snyder and preventing development of Snyderverse projects.

If we can get continuation of the Snyderverse I might have some interest in the other DC offerings. If the Snyderverse remains shut down then I'll move on from DC.

To be totally honest the main thing I care about personally is that, at a minimum, Snyder gets to complete his saga. Theoretically with this acquisition by Discovery there could be a whole new division created that allows Snyder creative freedom within HBO Max, with no interference from the division that is currently run by Emmerich and Hamada, and Zack can finish the saga out as an 8 episode miniseries or something like that. But because I do believe that would be highly successful, I also believe it would spawn spinoffs. In particular I want to see Henry Cavill get two more solo Superman films. If Ben Affleck is up for it, I want to see his Batman face off against Deathstroke. I want a Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, and Atom film. I want a division of WBD in which those things can happen. I don't give a **** about Toby Emmerich and Walter Hamada personally, or who they work for, or what job they do, or any of that. I just don't want them interfering with Snyder and preventing development of Snyderverse projects.

If we can get continuation of the Snyderverse I might have some interest in the other DC offerings. If the Snyderverse remains shut down then I'll move on from DC.
I love the snyderverse. But my love for dc is way more. I am very capable to enjoy DC in many forms.

Amazon is spending $1 Billion on Lord of the Rings, so an HBO ZSJL miniseries probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch. If that performed well maybe there'd be more theatrical and HBO spinoffs, but who knows. I'd be a little reticent about giving Snyder full reign though. His visuals are phenomenal but he's really not as strong a storyteller and some of his ideas can be terrible. I think he would need a good writer and someone to reign him in. Just not some studio suit. The other wild cards in all of this Warner/DC mess is the J.J. Abrams half billion dollar contract that has produced exactly zilch; the CW shows on life support; and whatever is or isn't happening with Green Lantern these days.

Quite frankly, with the reports of WB not going forward with Ezra miller due not his behavior and such, I’m ready to move on.

Your going to give up DC offerings because of one director not being able to finish his vision? Really? Are you a Snyder fan or a DC fan. Just asking. Burton didn’t finish his vision either and neither did many other DC directors. Not to mention many marvel people like the asm verse being ruined by studio meddling. Yet we still got great movies and content from DC. There can always be another director to do what Snyder did or maybe even better.

Last edited:
I love the snyderverse. But my love for dc is way more. I am very capable to enjoy DC in many forms.
This right here. I don’t like the Snyder verse but if I did I wouldn’t let the departure of one director mess with my love for dc. If Snyder came back tomorrow I’d still love DC but I’d just not watch any of his movies besides the affleck Batman one.

I also like DC, but deperately want JL 2+3 as well as Cavill to continue in Superman movies within the Snyderverse and aesthetic (if at all possible).

With Emmerich there, I just can't see that working out as it will come into the movie domain at some point, and he'll be against it in some way or form.

I still think Emmerich's days are numbered. No way that Zaslav has not heard the fans and won't have looked into Emmerich's track record on the topic.

I also like DC, but deperately want JL 2+3 as well as Cavill to continue in Superman movies within the Snyderverse and aesthetic (if at all possible).

With Emmerich there, I just can't see that working out as it will come into the movie domain at some point, and he'll be against it in some way or form.

I still think Emmerich's days are numbered. No way that Zaslav has not heard the fans and won't have looked into Emmerich's track record on the topic.

This is probably the case, actually. It’s very possible that he’s just being kept on for the transition and they simply won’t renew his contract which ends some time this year I think.

Your going to give up DC offerings because of one director not being able to finish his vision? Really? Are you a Snyder fan or a DC fan. Just asking. Burton didn’t finish his vision either and neither did many other DC directors. Not to mention many marvel people like the asm verse being ruined by studio meddling. Yet we still got great movies and content from DC. There can always be another director to do what Snyder did or maybe even better.

Yeah, totally fair question. This is kind of a matter for me personally of how the interest has developed. This is more than you want to know, but you asked.

I grew up reading DC comics as a young child with the DC characters very dear to me. But that was during the comics’ Silver Age which is super fantastical, light-hearted, colorful, comedic, outlandish, and whimsical. Those comics are literally childish because they were written for children.

When I grew older I felt that if I was to appreciate superheroes at all it would only be to seen them done justice in the most realistic and adult way possible. I did enjoy both 1978 Superman and 1989 Batman at the time they released but both still had obligatory camp elements that studio execs evidently felt were required because (the execs felt), after all, comic books are for children. It seems that the studio believed that to make the movies camp would allow adults to enjoy them in the first place, to make it psychologically permissible, etc. And to harken back to that innocent childhood love of comic books, as they themselves (and likely their own children as well) appreciated superhero comics as children—i.e., to capitalize on nostalgia for the childhood experience.

The camp aspect to that era of superhero films bothered me. It prevented me from being able to fully get into those movies. And as we know, as each Superman and Batman sequel was produced during the 80s and 90s they grew increasingly camp.

Fortunately the early 00s brought us X-Men and Spider-Man. Finally, the camp elements to superhero mythology had been mostly stripped away. And CGI technology had progressed to the point that superheroes could look real on screen. For example also at that time CGI had allowed for LotR to be beautifully rendered in film, which prior to that I never expected to see. Anyway, I finally began to feel like there was some hope for DC!

As luck would have it, though, when the Nolan trilogy released all my hobby time was entirely expended on a NWN persistent world project. I just never got around to watching it at the time. And it was partly because I had been disappointed by the earlier attempts at rendering Batman by Burton and Schumacher that I didn’t really care whether I watched it or not.

I finally watched the Nolan trilogy in 2014 when a friend loaned it to me along with Man of Steel. Also at that time I had just started Amazon Prime and got caught up on all the MCU films for free (which they were then—and literally for free because the first year I paid nothing for Amazon via a promotion).

Interestingly, the Nolan trilogy kind of left me cold. There were things to admire and appreciate about it, for sure. And, mind you, this just my subjective reaction: but Batman Begins for me was okay but just that, not great. TDKR I enjoyed the most because of Hardy’s quirky, oddball Bane performance. Plus the updated, modern day reimagining of Catwoman. But again, nothing about it blew me away or anything. And perhaps because TDK had been so massively hyped by that time, and Ledger’s performance in particular, it was doomed to not live up to all that praise. I appreciated what Ledger did, and felt the Oscar was deserved. But his performance didn’t particularly stoke or hype me. The crime thriller story itself didn’t really draw me in either.

Also, over time I grew to actually dislike Bale’s Batman—the modular, plastic looking suit, the egg shaped cowl, the gurgling Batvoice, the lackluster fight choreography, etc. As part of an evolution I’m glad the Nolan trilogy was made. It was a breakthrough part of an evolution toward a serious, grounded, adult Batman. But this trio of films didn‘t get it for me in terms of feeling an affinity with the characters. I only rewatched TDK once to see if I might like it better at a second viewing, and I enjoyed it even less.

MCU I loved right out of the gate. Not much to say there. And especially when it was all fresh it totally rocked.

Man of Steel was at first a total curiosity to me. It felt more like an alien invasion sci-fi genre film than a character study about Superman. I still could appreciate it fully that way, though. And I had HBO at the time and it was constantly on when I was channel surfing. So I was drawn to watch it again and again—liking it better and better each time. Like it got better for me with each view. That to me is highly unusual!

And at that time the first teaser trailer for BvS released. That thing is a work of art. My jaw dropped and I was absolutely floored. I was like here it finally is: a quirky, offbeat, existential arthouse film serious take on my two favorite superheroes from childhood. I am so in, lol! I didn’t know what deconstruction was then. But that trailer signaled it through and through.

When BvS released I was super hyped for it. When I went to see it I had never been impacted as much psychologically by a film, I don’t think. But it definitely challenged my assumptions and expectations about what a film of this type “should” be. I had mixed feelings about the Martha moment in particular, and suspected that there must be more going on with it conceptually than meets the eye. The film is deeply layered with ‘meta’ commentary about super hero mythology—and arguably attempting way too much for the casual GA viewer to digest at one sitting. So I decided the strangeness of “Martha” was something to study further and not succumb to a harsh knee jerk reaction about. I went back for the second viewing with a conscious decision to take the film in with no preconceptions, and to accept the film entirely on it’s own terms, for what it is as an artwork and not filtered though whatever ideas I might have beforehand. I absolutely loved it. I even got hit with a wave of emotion at Superman’s funeral, lol.

And then I went down the intellectual rabbit hole of revisiting Joseph Campbell’s the hero’s journey, and studying deconstruction in film, and learning about Watchmen, and watching interviews with Snyder about what he was trying to accomplish as an artist with the five film saga he planned, etc. This was all immensely satisfying to me. I felt like I had finally, at long last, found a way to truly enjoy these cherished superheroes again as an adult.

The other stuff I have seen from WB since the so-called Snyderverse hasn’t been giving me that. It’s nowhere near as good as the MCU did it for that more mainstream, populist, and less cerebral approach to the genre. And honestly, it only worked for the MCU until Endgame—and even by that point it was beginning to strain under the weight of over-repetition of its formulas.

I’m still waiting to see Ayer’s director’s cut of SS to make up my mind about it. BoP took a fairly big swing at trying to do something relatively offbeat, and continuing the baseball analogy at best managed a single that barely beat the ball to the bag. Perhaps due yet again to studio interference—that would hardly be surprising if so.

Reeves’ The Batman was interesting. I was able to appreciate it as a serious take we hadn‘t seen before. The neo-noir/horror/suspense thriller thing. But it still didn‘t hold a candle to what the Snyderverse has given me. It’s not even close for me.

I’m just not enthused at all about the approach taken by Wan with Aquaman, or Jenkins with Wonder Woman, Sandberg with Shazam, or what is apparently planned by Muschietti, Collet-Sera, Arbi and Fallah, et al.

I realize my tastes are not mainstream. And I do understand Hollywood’s need to cater to the GA. I‘m just hoping for what really stokes me, i.e., the Snyderverse, to continue in a sort of pocket plane of the DC multiverse. If I can get that I’ll view the other stuff with casual interest. If I don‘t get that I will likely lose interest entirely, yeah.

Last edited:
This right here. I don’t like the Snyder verse but if I did I wouldn’t let the departure of one director mess with my love for dc. If Snyder came back tomorrow I’d still love DC but I’d just not watch any of his movies besides the affleck Batman one.
Yup. I understand the fanbase and I can see why they're so gung ho about it, but these characters existed before him and will exist after him, so I've never been tied to one specific person's interpretation.

The other wild cards in all of this Warner/DC mess is the J.J. Abrams half billion dollar contract that has produced exactly zilch
He's actually executive producer on the new Batman cartoon with Matt Reeves.

Yeah, totally fair question. This is kind of a matter for me personally of how the interest has developed. This is more than you want to know, but you asked.

I grew up reading DC comics as a young child with the DC characters very dear to me. But that was during the comics’ Silver Age which is super fantastical, light-hearted, colorful, comedic, outlandish, and whimsical. Those comics are literally childish and were written for children.

When I grew older I felt that if I was to appreciate superheroes at all it would only be to seen them done justice in the most realistic and adult way possible. I did enjoy both 1978 Superman and 1989 Batman at the time they released but both still had obligatory camp elements that studio execs evidently felt were required because (the execs felt), after all, comic books are for children. It seems that the studio believed that to make the movies camp would allow adults to enjoy them in the first place, to makes it psychologically permissible, etc. And to harken back to that innocent childhood love of comic books, as they themselves—and likely their own children as well—appreciated superhero comics as children—i.e., to capitalize on nostalgia for the childhood experience.

The camp aspect to that era of superhero films bothered me. It prevented me from being able to fully get into those movies. And as we know, as each Superman and Batman sequel was produced during the 80s and 90s they grew increasingly camp.

Fortunately the early 00s brought us X-Men and Spider-Man. Finally, the camp elements to superhero mythology had been mostly stripped away. And CGI technology had progressed to the point that superheroes could look real on screen. For example also at that time CGI had allowed for LotR to be beautifully rendered in film, which prior to that I never expected to see. Anyway, I finally began to feel like there was some hope for DC!

As luck would have it, though, when the Nolan trilogy released all my hobby time was entirely expended on a NWN persistent world project. I just never got around to watching it at the time. And it was partly because I had been disappointed by the earlier attempts at rendering Batman by Burton and Schumacher that I didn’t really care whether I watched it or not.

I finally watched the Nolan trilogy in 2014 when a friend loaned it to me along with Man of Steel. Also at that time I had just started Amazon Prime and got caught up on all the MCU films for free (which they were then—and literally for free because the first year I paid nothing for Amazon via a promotion).

Interestingly, the Nolan trilogy kind of left me cold. There were things to admire and appreciate about it, for sure. And, mind you, this just my subjective reaction: but Batman Begins for me was okay but just that, not great. TDKR I enjoyed the most because of Hardy’s quirky, oddball Bane performance. Plus the updated, modern day reimagining of Catwoman. But again, nothing about it blew me away or anything. And perhaps because TDK had been so massively hyped by that time, and Ledger’s performance in particular, it was doomed to not live up to all that praise. I appreciated what Ledger did, and felt the Oscar was deserved. But his performance didn’t particularly stoke or hype me. The crime thriller story itself didn’t really draw me in either.

Also, over time I grew to actually dislike Bale’s Batman—the modular, plastic looking suit, the egg shaped cowl, the gurgling Batvoice, the lackluster fight choreograph, etc. As part of an evolution I’m glad the Nolan trilogy was made. It was a breakthrough part of an evolution toward a serious, grounded, adult Batman. But this trio of films didn‘t get it for me in terms of feeling an affinity with the characters. I only rewatched TDK once to see if I might like it better at a second viewing, and I enjoyed it even less.

MCU I loved right out of the gate. Not much to say there. And especially when it was all fresh it totally rocked.

Man of Steel was at first a total curiosity to me. It felt more like an alien invasion sci-fi genre film than a character study about Superman. I still could appreciate it fully that way, though. And I had HBO at the time and it was constantly on when I was channel surfing. So I was drawn to watch it again and again—liking it better and better each time. Like it got better for me with each view. That to me is highly unusual!

And at that time the first teaser trailer for BvS released. That thing is a work of art. My jaw dropped and I was absolutely floored. I was like here it finally is: a quirky, offbeat, existential arthouse film serious take on my two favorite superheroes from childhood. I am so in, lol! I didn’t know what deconstruction was then. But that trailer signaled it through and through.

When BvS released I was super hyped for it. When I went to see it I had never been impacted as much psychologically by a film, I don’t think. But it definitely challenged my assumptions and expectations about what a film of this type “should” be. I had mixed feelings about the Martha moment in particular, and suspected that there must be more going on with it conceptually than meets the eye. The film is deeply layered with ‘meta’ commentary about super hero mythology—and arguably attempting way too much for the casual GA viewer to digest at one sitting. So I decided the strangeness of “Martha” was something to study further and not succumb to a harsh knee jerk reaction about. I went back for the second viewing with a conscious decision to take the film in with no preconceptions, and to accept the film entirely on it’s own terms, for what it is as an artwork and not filtered though whatever ideas I might have beforehand. I absolutely loved it. I even got hit with a wave of emotion at Superman’s funeral, lol.

And then I went down the intellectual rabbit hole of revisiting Joseph Campbell’s the hero’s journey, and studying deconstruction in film, and learning about Watchmen, and watching interviews with Snyder about what he was trying to accomplish as an artist with the five film saga he planned, etc. This was all immensely satisfying to me. I felt like I had finally, at long last, found a way to truly enjoy these cherished superheroes again as an adult.

The other stuff I have seen from WB since the so-called Snyderverse hasn’t been giving me that. It’s nowhere near as good as the MCU did it for that more mainstream, populist, and less cerebral approach to the genre. And honestly, it only worked for the MCU until Endgame—and even by that point it was beginning to strain under the weight of over-repetition of its formulas.

I’m still waiting to see Ayer’s director’s cut of SS to make up my mind about it. BoP took a fairly big swing at trying to do something relatively offbeat, and continuing the baseball analogy at best managed a single that barely beat the ball to the bag. Perhaps due yet again to studio interference—that would hardly be surprising if so.

Reeves’ The Batman was interesting. I was able to appreciate it as a serious take we hadn‘t seen before. The neo-noir/horror/suspense thriller thing. But it still didn‘t hold a candle to what the Snyderverse has given me. It’s not even close for me.

I’m just not enthused at all about the approach taken by Wan with Aquaman, or Jenkins with Wonder Woman, Sandberg with Shazam, or what is apparently planned by Muschietti, Collet-Sera, Arbi and Fallah, et al.

I realize my tastes are not mainstream. And I do understand Hollywood’s need to cater to the GA. I‘m just hoping for what really stokes me, i.e., the Snyderverse, to continue in a sort of pocket plane of the DC multiverse. If I can get that I’ll view the other stuff with casual interest. If I don‘t get that I will likely lose interest entirely, yeah.
Ok I understand. I appreciate how you actually explain and say that Snyder just resonates with you and how you just enjoy his films. Very non toxic compared to many others who would say if you don’t like it you don’t understand his work or your a hater. I enjoyed reading this it’s refreshing seeing someone actually explain why they enjoy his movies.

I actually was super hyped for bvs and couldn’t wait. I saw the movie and hated it. The Snyder cut was ok but I found it forgettable. But I do appreciate Snyder for most things like actually putting Wonder Woman on the big screen. Great read.

So if there is a continuation of the Snyderverse Justice League, do you guys think they have already filmed a significant amount of the sequels? If not it will seem kind of awkward to recast Flash 1/3 of the way through a story wouldn't it? But i guess it would be better to recast a character midstream than to scrap an entire project right? That's if they end up firing him of course ...
sad situation.

Last edited:

I grew up reading DC comics as a young child with the DC characters very dear to me. But that was during the comics’ Silver Age which is super fantastical, light-hearted, colorful, comedic, outlandish, and whimsical. Those comics are literally childish and were written for children.

When I grew older I felt that if I was to appreciate superheroes at all it would only be to seen them done justice in the most realistic and adult way possible. I did enjoy both 1978 Superman and 1989 Batman at the time they released but both still had obligatory camp elements that studio execs evidently felt were required because (the execs felt), after all, comic books are for children. It seems that the studio believed that to make the movies camp would allow adults to enjoy them in the first place, to makes it psychologically permissible, etc. And to harken back to that innocent childhood love of comic books, as they themselves—and likely their own children as well—appreciated superhero comics as children—i.e., to capitalize on nostalgia for the childhood experience.

Also, over time I grew to actually dislike Bale’s Batman—the modular, plastic looking suit, the egg shaped cowl, the gurgling Batvoice, the lackluster fight choreograph, etc. As part of an evolution I’m glad the Nolan trilogy was made. It was a breakthrough part of an evolution toward a serious, grounded, adult Batman. But this trio of films didn‘t get it for me in terms of feeling an affinity with the characters. I only rewatched TDK once to see if I might like it better at a second viewing, and I enjoyed it even less.

Excellent summary, reflects very closely many of my thoughts.

The thing I really struggle to get my head around is how anyone could not like films with many layers and hidden messages etc and on top of that incredibly beautifully shot. But it seems many more people did like JL at least when Zack was given the chance to show the full movie, and not something hacked up and stuck together by the studio.

So at this point I guess it's watch this space. I too really just want to see the end of the 5 film saga and if we get a Batfleck stand alone, and some sorely needed Superman films then I too will be a very happy camper.

Ok I understand. I appreciate how you actually explain and say that Snyder just resonates with you and how you just enjoy his films. Very non toxic compared to many others who would say if you don’t like it you don’t understand his work or your a hater. I enjoyed reading this it’s refreshing seeing someone actually explain why they enjoy his movies.

I actually was super hyped for bvs and couldn’t wait. I saw the movie and hated it. The Snyder cut was ok but I found it forgettable. But I do appreciate Snyder for most things like actually putting Wonder Woman on the big screen. Great read.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! Thank you for reading that long trip down memory lane, lol. It consciously consists mostly of “I“ statements, as clearly YMMV!

Exactly this. I love the Snyderverse as well, but there's a part of me that is tired of ALL the drama that has surrounded it and wouldn't mind if it just unfortunately died and we all moved on from it.
I just want Henry Cavill to keep playing Superman. Is that too much to ask? Oh wait we’re talking about WB here, yeah…that’s asking way too much.
I would definitely love a new stand-alone Superman movie with Cavill. WB apparently just doesn't want to pay him what he's asking and neither are budging. From the sounds, they rather spend less money and go ahead with Supergirl than give us a new Superman movie with Cavill at least for now
I feel the similar when it comes to James Gunn. Didn't like any of the Guardians movies or his Suicide Squad and I could've done without Peacemaker. His comedy and overall style just isn't for me but it doesn't mess up my love for either MCU or DC.

So if there is a continuation of the Snyderverse Justice League, do you guys think they have already filmed a significant amount of the sequels? If not it will seem kind of awkward to recast Flash 1/3 of the way through a story wouldn't it? But i guess it would be better to recast a character midstream than to scrap an entire project right? That's if they end up firing him of course ...
sad situation.
I'd rather they just recast him sooner than later if they really don't plan on having him continue as Barry Allen/The Flash after the solo movie. Or just use a different Flash like Wally West. There's a huge fanbase for Bruce Tim's Justice League and Justice League Unlimited which had Wally as the primary Flash rather than Barry.

Back