Zack Snyder's Justice League - what's your wish list?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who said they would cancel Reeves’ Batman? We’re about to see a Flash movie with Afleck and Keaton both having large roles as Batman in the same film. It’s obvious WB has no problem with different versions of Batman existing at the same time, and audiences are willing to roll with pretty much anything these days. You could easily have The Batman 2 and Zack Snyder’s Knightmare releasing within the same year and nobody would bat an eye.
Exactly. I'm a huge Snyder fan and loved The Batman as well.

What I could see happening is some people taking the comparison of The Batman box-office to say BvS and saying "BvS was more therefore The Batman is dead". Typical black and white viewpoint which is BS imo. Both can live in their separate universes.

Zaslav also has some serious money to spend, so multiple universes is totally possible.

Who said they would cancel Reeves’ Batman? We’re about to see a Flash movie with Afleck and Keaton both having large roles as Batman in the same film. It’s obvious WB has no problem with different versions of Batman existing at the same time, and audiences are willing to roll with pretty much anything these days. You could easily have The Batman 2 and Zack Snyder’s Knightmare releasing within the same year and nobody would bat an eye.
The claim was that Reeves' universe was a "dead end" and that its box office haul somehow did not justify doing a universe outside the DCEU because it would be a disaster. Which is absurd.

Audiences have had no problem with CW versions of DC characters on the small screen at the same time as DCEU characters on the big screen and there has been plenty of overlap.
No reason whatsoever that the Snyderverse couldn’t live on exclusively on HBO Max.
Unfortunately that is not the issue here.
The issue is that Snyder has moved on…WB has moved on…the entire cast has mostly moved on…the only people who haven’t moved on are the fans, and unfortunately the fans are not able to write, direct, Star in, or green light ZSJL 2 and 3…so there’s that…

You mean like Singer moved on from X-Men? Abrams moved on from Star Wars? Raimi moved on from Marvel? Connery moved on from Bond? Keaton moved on from Batman? Tobey and Andrew moved on from Spider-Man? Heck, even the three living Beatles eventually got back together.

Snyder is just waiting for the phone call to come back. JL2 and 3 don't have to be the thing he does for DC, but it's still possible any cast member could come back for them. And recasting or replacing any character seems possible except maybe Affleck. Superman could be replaced with Ultraman, which WB might actually prefer. It'd just be hard to see this as relating to the Snyderverse without at least the star of the Knightmare world, Batfleck participating. But if he gets transplanted into a "mirror" universe where the bad guys are evil versions of the JL, and he has to work with "anti-heroes" like Joker in that universe against them and Darkseid, that could be the story.

See I think that’s where you may be mistaken…unless everything I read is wrong, Snyder isn’t “waiting for a call” from anyone…and good for him for that too.
The guy is busy building up his own IPs and working on the start of a contractual relationship with Netflix that obviously does not include Netflix versions of WB’s DC characters.
Yep…Superman could be replaced with Ultraman and better yet, if Affleck doesn’t want to come back, maybe Synder can call you in and YOU could come in and play Batman? Why not?
I’m a little envious of you, because I REALLY wish I could believe all of the internet drivel that suggests that Snyder is moments away from making another Justice League movie, or better, and even more ridiculously yet, has already started making them and is just waiting to reveal the secret.
I would love to be excited about that right now…sadly I can’t, because it’s simply not the case.

I never said that he was in that position. But you can look at any interviews he gave last year. They often branch out into his ideas for DC. He is very enthusiastic about going back there, has lots of ideas and plans, says he loves DC characters, and he just says "the people at WB don't like him very much."

He also mentioned working for Marvel, particularly on Frank Miller-tinged characters like Elektra and Wolverine. I never watched the Daredevil show, but if there's still room to do a DD movie, Marvel ought to grab Snyder for one involving DD and Elektra.

If something changed between last year and this year, and he decided to make Rebel Moon his life's passion like Cameron did with Avatar, then that's fine. I haven't heard about it. But anything's possible.

Snyder has often said he would go back to finish JL 2+3 if they called him up, that's fact. What I'd heard though, and it makes total sense, is that he would only go back on his terms. i.e without Emmerich, Johns and all the a-holes who made his and the cast's time there hell.

With all that gone (hopefully thanks to Discovery) then there is at least a decent chance that things can work out.

If Zack didn't have such a strong connection with the actors, and pretty much everyone, then no I don't they all could be convinced to come back under any conditions.

Of course should the stars align, it won't be tomorrow, but in a few years.

Lol, ah okay, been really busy but I’ll give it a gander.

Eh, that Forbes article on the Snyderverse is just taking a negative slant on the whole idea. I’ve addressed that sort of naysaying already in other posts.

Last edited:
Weird digs at Reeves aside, that ship has already sailed. If anyone thinks Discovery will be cancelling the Reevesverse stuff to bring back Snyder, I've got a bridge somewhere to sell them.

No one that I know… and I know a lot of Snyderverse fansl, lol, we are legion on Twitter and many of us follow each other… is saying continuation of the Snyderverse would or should result in taking anything away from anyone. That‘s a strawman argument if there ever was one. The ‘ask’ is that the Snyderverse continues as a pocket plane in the multiverse.

Last edited:
Snyder has often said he would go back to finish JL 2+3 if they called him up, that's fact. What I'd heard though, and it makes total sense, is that he would only go back on his terms. i.e without Emmerich, Johns and all the a-holes who made his and the cast's time there hell.

With all that gone (hopefully thanks to Discovery) then there is at least a decent chance that things can work out.

If Zack didn't have such a strong connection with the actors, and pretty much everyone, then no I don't they all could be convinced to come back under any conditions.

Of course should the stars align, it won't be tomorrow, but in a few years.

This is all spot on. But in particular that the timeframe would require JL to begin in a couple years, yes. Thus they could probably start immediately on the next Henry Cavill solo Superman film. Several years ago Henry and director Chris McQuarrie pitched ideas to WB who rejected them. Or if Ben Affleck does want to make his solo Batman project then we could get that too. Either one of those would generate enormous hype until filming could begin on what would likely be a HBO Max minseries to complete Snyder’s five film saga.

Last edited:
Exactly. I'm a huge Snyder fan and loved The Batman as well.

What I could see happening is some people taking the comparison of The Batman box-office to say BvS and saying "BvS was more therefore The Batman is dead". Typical black and white viewpoint which is BS imo. Both can live in their separate universes.

Zaslav also has some serious money to spend, so multiple universes is totally possible.

Moreover, multiple iterations of the same characters within a multiverse design is in fact exactly what Jim Lee explained was the plan at the first DC Fandome a year and a half ago.

See I think that’s where you may be mistaken…unless everything I read is wrong, Snyder isn’t “waiting for a call” from anyone…and good for him for that too.
The guy is busy building up his own IPs and working on the start of a contractual relationship with Netflix that obviously does not include Netflix versions of WB’s DC characters.
Yep…Superman could be replaced with Ultraman and better yet, if Affleck doesn’t want to come back, maybe Synder can call you in and YOU could come in and play Batman? Why not?
I’m a little envious of you, because I REALLY wish I could believe all of the internet drivel that suggests that Snyder is moments away from making another Justice League movie, or better, and even more ridiculously yet, has already started making them and is just waiting to reveal the secret.
I would love to be excited about that right now…sadly I can’t, because it’s simply not the case.

Jal, within the fandom on Twitter this is not how it’s seen though. I also watch a lot of YT videos that support continuation of the Snyderverse and I don‘t see them saying any of the things you allege there. That Snyder would immediately come back is not the expectation. Rather, of course has to complete his obligations to Netflix First. Everyone understands that.

How it all works out is a fair question, and a formidable problem to solve. But I and others as other here have regularly pointed out, Zack has explicitly, unambiguously said if asked to return to complete the saga he would love to. It’s also significant that he said that while he was engaged in early planning with his Rebel Moon franchise at Netflix. It’s implicit that Snyder’s return would or could only happen under a new management regime, after the Discovery acquisition. It has been reported that Ben Affleck has recently had a change of heart about wanting to continue as Batman, and that the ending of the Flash was changed to put him back in the Snyderverse Knightmare timeline instead of killing him off. Hmm! Ezra Miller’s situation requires that the studio investigate what happened. WB has probably been waiting for the new WBD management team to conduct that investigation. But if Ezra has an untreated psychiatric disorder and/or substance use disorder then he needs treatment. There are plenty examples of Hollywood careers surviving this sort of situation.

I don‘t think it’s intentional on your part or anyone else’s that I’ve seen here at collectorfreaks, but to claim that Snyderverse fans expect everything to come to fruition immediately is a kind of misdirection, in a way. Personally I don‘t know a single supporter who is saying anything like that. And I know a lot of them!

Last edited:
You mean like Singer moved on from X-Men? Abrams moved on from Star Wars? Raimi moved on from Marvel? Connery moved on from Bond? Keaton moved on from Batman? Tobey and Andrew moved on from Spider-Man? Heck, even the three living Beatles eventually got back together.

Snyder is just waiting for the phone call to come back. JL2 and 3 don't have to be the thing he does for DC, but it's still possible any cast member could come back for them. And recasting or replacing any character seems possible except maybe Affleck. Superman could be replaced with Ultraman, which WB might actually prefer. It'd just be hard to see this as relating to the Snyderverse without at least the star of the Knightmare world, Batfleck participating. But if he gets transplanted into a "mirror" universe where the bad guys are evil versions of the JL, and he has to work with "anti-heroes" like Joker in that universe against them and Darkseid, that could be the story.

Haha true! And add to this long list Simon and Garfunkel. And Michael Jordan unretiring from basketball after his brief foray into baseball to win a second threepeat of championships (which is insane). And Muhammad Ali returning to boxing after seeking exile in Africa during the sixties and seventies at the physical peak of his career.

This is all spot on. But in particular that the timeframe would require JL to begin in a couple years, yes. Thus they could probably start immediately on the next Henry Cavill solo Superman film. Several years ago Henry and director Chris McQuarrie pitched ideas to WB who rejected them. Or if Ben Affleck does want to make his solo Batman project then we could get that too. Either one of those would generate enormous hype until filming could begin on what would likely be a HBO Max minseries to complete Snyder’s five film saga.
Yes a Cavill solo fillm/s would give both the fans and Cavill exactly what they want. To this day it amazes me that WB haven't capitalised at all on arguably the most well known "Superhero" in this age of "Superhero movies". Unfathomable really.

Sure I get the whole money and payment thing, but get creative and negotiate something people. Like a multi film deal to reduce the amount per film as is reported could be the case with Discovery. Put him in Black Adam 2, put him in his own movie/s put him in JL. Jesus, he's the best Superman we've had since Reeve imo and he wants to do it !!

Really like the idea of some solo films before JL2. So long as they can sort out the chronology/timing. OK I'll just say it. RestoretheSnyderVerse so it can all fit in it's part of the multiverse. Yep, exactly like Jim Lee said way back then at Fandome. It just makes too much sense.

Jal, within the fandom on Twitter this is not how it’s seen though. I also watch a lot of YT videos that support continuation of the Snyderverse and I don‘t see them saying any of the things you allege there. That Snyder would immediately come back is not the expectation. Rather, of course has to complete his obligations to Netflix First. Everyone understands that.

How it all works out is a fair question, and a formidable problem to solve. But I and others as other here have regularly pointed out, Zack has explicitly, unambiguously said if asked to return to complete the saga he would love to. It’s also significant that he said that while he was engaged in early planning with his Rebel Moon franchise at Netflix. It’s implicit that Snyder’s return would or could only happen under a new management regime, after the Discovery acquisition. It has been reported that Ben Affleck has recently had a change of heart about wanting to continue as Batman, and that the ending of the Flash was changed to put him back in the Snyderverse Knightmare timeline instead of killing him off. Hmm! Ezra Miller’s situation requires that the studio investigate what happened. WB has probably been waiting for the new WBD management team to conduct that investigation. But if Ezra has an untreated psychiatric disorder and/or substance use disorder then he needs treatment. There are plenty examples of Hollywood careers surviving this sort of situation.

I don‘t think it’s intentional on your part or anyone else’s that I’ve seen here at collectorfreaks, but to claim that Snyderverse fans expect everything to come to fruition immediately is a kind of misdirection, in a way. Personally I don‘t know a single supporter who is saying anything like that. And I know a lot of them!
Well said.

Also totally my opinion, and I consider myself a casual Snyderverse fan who has simply kept up with the news over the years from the start.

The major majority of the fans are not black and white. i.e Snyderverse or nothing. They just are stating what they want, as any paying customer has the right to do. Any normal company who had this sort of customer feedback and support would embrace it and take the easy opportunity to make money. Any new project has way more risk of acceptance.

I'd also say that the number of normies who have said to me ZSJL was 10000% better than the original and want to see more is a LOT. A followup on ZSJL is also a no brainer for easy normie buy in.

Well said.

Also totally my opinion, and I consider myself a casual Snyderverse fan who has simply kept up with the news over the years from the start.

The major majority of the fans are not black and white. i.e Snyderverse or nothing. They just are stating what they want, as any paying customer has the right to do. Any normal company who had this sort of customer feedback and support would embrace it and take the easy opportunity to make money. Any new project has way more risk of acceptance.

I'd also say that the number of normies who have said to me ZSJL was 10000% better than the original and want to see more is a LOT. A followup on ZSJL is also a no brainer for easy normie buy in.

Well, the RTSC and Restore the Snyderverse movement has also been a rather strange situation from the getgo as well. With BvS Snyder delivered what he said he would do. WB apparently did not anticipate that it would be controversial, polarizing, etc. 🤦‍♂️ After it was rejected by critics WB got feet of clay and changed direction and essentially did everything they could to prevent Snyder's five film saga from continuing. Because sets had already been constructed for JL they went ahead with Snyder at the helm under the assumption that they could bring him to heel. As we know, he left due to a personal tragedy. However Zack continued interact with fans on social media that wanted to see his director's cut of JL. (Had we ever seen something quite like that before? Not that I can recall...) A robust and enthusiastic demand for the Snyder cut was on vivid display via Twitter (eventually culminating in 1.54M tweets at one point, which is insane). WB then got sold to AT&T who sort of mysteriously, via Kevin Reilly and Robert Greenblatt, pushed to get the Snyder cut completed and released on HBO Max. We still don't know the numbers of views for ZSJL but indications from overseas are that it broke records.

But the main problem, I think, is that once ZSJL actually got released and the world saw how much better it is than the butchered version that Joss Whedon shot... and please note most viewers regard ZSJL as a very good to excellent movie... e.g., RT audience score of 94% with 25,000+ rating, IMDb audience score of 8.1/10 with 371,559 users voting, Metacritic audience score of 8.5/10 with 4133 voters, etc... that put egg on the face of WB execs at the top that tried to bury it. So they (mainly Toby Emmerich, and Walter Hamada following his lead as a good soldier) have evidently reacted out of butthurt pride. It's speculation on my part but I have to wonder if they also feel that they had to try to set an example of a maverick director that martialed the support of his film's fanbase on social media to such an impressive degree and thereby challenged the traditional studio power hierarchy! Like maybe they felt that if he succeeded that would be allowing the camel's nose under the tent, etc. Like if Snyder gets away with this then other directors in the future will all negotiate for final say, etc.

But had there not been this incompetence on WB's part there would not be the defensive reaction against giving Snyderverse fans what they're asking. Which is simply to see Snyder's vision for his saga continue in its own separate parallel universe/timeline within the infinite possible universes of the multiverse. One would think that a studio would embrace and use a fandom this passionate, right? But instead WB has been so inept and dysfunctional that they're doing exactly the opposite.

Robert Meyer Burnett had it exactly right that under Kevin Tsujihara and Toby Emmerich WB nearly destroyed WB, or at the very least made it such that no talent wants to work there any longer. We don't know yet what David Zaslav of WBD will do... he remains a wild card as I've said... but new leadership at least provides an opportunity for someone with who isn't driven by injured pride and malice to make decisions about how to sort this mess out, and again ally the Snyderverse fandom, all under a "big tent" of DC content via the multiverse.

Last edited:
No one that I know… and I know a lot of Snyderverse fansl, lol, we are legion on Twitter and many of us follow each other… is saying continuation of the Snyderverse would or should result in taking anything away from anyone. That‘s a strawman argument if there ever was one. The ‘ask’ is that the Snyderverse continues as a pocket plane in the multiverse.
My guy, I was responding to a claim in this very thread that The Batman was a “dead end” and that continuing that universe would be “a disaster waiting to happen” because it didn’t make as much money as Batman v Superman. Which is a nonsensical argument but this is absolutely not the first place I’ve seen it either.

With BvS Snyder delivered what he said he would do. WB apparently did not anticipate that it would be controversial, polarizing, etc. 🤦‍♂️

This also reminds me of what a masterful job Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix did with their press junkets with critics and the infotainment media to educate and prepare viewers for what Joker was artistically. They were both excellent at preparing people's minds for what the film is, and what it is not.

I love Zack Snyder as a person but he is at times painfully inarticulate. I think he might have shared once that he has a learning disability. His wife Deborah is the one who can explain things more carefully and thoughtfully in digestible ways. She can come across as kind of "corporate" in her language and way of relating, though.

Zack Snyder loves to pack his work chockfull of symbolic meta-content, most of it relayed through epic looking visuals. In that sense it's very dense. On Vero Zack identified over 100 visual Easter eggs that he embedded in BvS. Jeremy Irons expressed that for him BvS was "overstuffed and very muddled" which reflects the mainstream theatergoer's sensibilities when they see something like what Snyder is doing with BvS. And the meta-content is not there just because Zack thinks it's cool stuff from comics. It all means something to him as a commentary on the superhero genre. Zack has shared that he has been hugely influenced by deconstructionist graphic novels such as Watchmen and Frank Miller's TDKR, and Joseph Campbell's "hero's journey." He's talked about it mostly in interviews which only hardcore CBM nerds have watched. There have been a handful of articles by the trades where he put out there such things such as that he hoped BvS would be "at it's very best, my impossible Watchmen." Mind you, most viewers and critics never saw this article published by WSJ on BvS's opening day. And honestly, they probably would not have understood what it was about anyway.

My point is that for BvS to have had any chance at the sort of public acceptance that Joker (deservedly) received, it needed a sophisticated marketing campaign similar to what Joker got. (Phillips was so damn smart about that!) But the combination of a studio entrenched in old school ways of doing things, and incompetently run in general, combined with the lack of spokespersons who could adequately explain what BvS was trying to do, doomed it to it's catastrophic failure with the critics. And to a great extent also ensured that it would alienate a large swath of the audience who wanted and expected something much more traditional. But for the latter viewers, WB made no effort whatsoever to explain the planned trajectory within a five film arc to reconstruct superhero mythology (after the deconstruction in BvS), which was always the plan. You can see in ZSJL a return to an embrace of fantastical comic book tropes! But anyway...

My point is that for BvS to have had any chance at the sort of public acceptance that Joker (deservedly) received, it needed a sophisticated marketing campaign similar to what Joker got. (Phillips was so damn smart about that!) But the combination of a studio entrenched in old school ways of doing things, and incompetently run in general, combined with the lack of spokespersons who could adequately explain what BvS was trying to do, doomed it to it's catastrophic failure with the critics. And to a great extent also ensured that it would alienate a large swath of the audience who wanted and expected something much more traditional. But for the latter viewers, WB made no effort whatsoever to explain the planned trajectory within a five film arc to reconstruct superhero mythology (after the deconstruction in BvS), which was always the plan. You can see in ZSJL a return to an embrace of fantastical comic book tropes! But anyway...
I'd also put this down to WB marketing department also being shown how it's done by the "one man show" which is Zack Snyder. He single handedly marketed it himself and showed them how to use the fanbase to your advantage. Also stuff like going to the smaller Youtube channels where the real fans are, to spread the word, and not to the standard "Pop-culture Gatekeeper" media outlets who will always tow the company line predicated by Emmerich in this case. Not to mention most of the mainstream outlets also had their own agenda considering they had already said several times that the Snyder Cut wasn't coming. And if it did it would of course be very similar or not so good.

In any case with WB marketing no doubt as butt hurt as Emmerich, it wouldn't have taken much to convince them to not release HBOMax streaming numbers, or to move Godzilla vs Kong into the same release window as ZSJL to muddy the numbers.

The politics and details of it are amazing. And all because WB execs (Emmerich and co) meddled into the process and were true a-holes.

My guy, I was responding to a claim in this very thread that The Batman was a “dead end” and that continuing that universe would be “a disaster waiting to happen” because it didn’t make as much money as Batman v Superman. Which is a nonsensical argument but this is absolutely not the first place I’ve seen it either.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you personally were saying something you weren't. The Batman has clearly been very successful! The Batman is well received. Deservedly. The Battinsonverse is obviously going to continue.

But this is an argument that I regularly see expressed--namely, that the Snyderverse community on the whole, at large, is stating that we think only the Snyderverse should exist and that it should replace the other DC film projects. I mean, of course, statistically yes, there are bound to be some bad apples doing that, etc. But that claim that this is what Snyderverse fans overall are calling for is bogus. That does not represent the mainstream sentiment at all. Not based on what I see as a very active supporter on Twitter, anyway.

Back