Media The Silent Hill series discussion thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I recall correctly, wasn't Pyramid Head a physical manifestation of Jame's sexual desires, or something of that nature? I remember when PH was raping the set of dismembered legs...

Sorry if I'm rambling, it's been years since I played this shat.

It has been interpreted that it could also be a representation of James smothering his wife. So I think it goes both ways.

While I have seen that interpretation before, I would have to respectfully disagree on the notion especially since James was never fully characterized as a father enough that it would warrant the monster's specific naming (not to mention the monster only appeared first as a boss that was attacking Angela that was literally followed by her beating the crap out of it, only later becoming a "regular" enemy in the hotel where Angela was still present). Then there's the fact that two other monsters are already symbolic of Mary's bed-ridden imagery through the iron "bed" frames of the Flesh Lips and especially the final boss.

If I recall correctly, wasn't Pyramid Head a physical manifestation of Jame's sexual desires, or something of that nature? I remember when PH was raping the set of dismembered legs... which implied that James raped his wife.

Sorry if I'm rambling, it's been years since I played this shat.
Partly yes, but mainly Pyramid Head was a manifestation of his desire for punishment for the guilt of his crime. The Mannequin monsters (the ones PH was raping) were definitely representations of his repressed sexual desires though... (hence why it's designed to look like two feminine lower bodies attached to each other)

In effect, by having Pyramid Head enact those scenes with Mannequins (as well as the constant chasing of Maria who was Mary's sexualized doppelganger), it's already indicative of James's inner frustrations as a guilty person.

SH2 is the only one I like overall.
"The Room" had good story but lacked the atmosphere and character development.

The main story line of this series is waaaaay too dull and pretentious for me :lol

The Room's story was awesome and the game is the darkest and most sinister in the series. I remember my neighbor passed out playing the game. :lol

Sigh.. too bad the gameplay was a pain. It wasn't even meant o be a Silent Hill game until Konami forced it to be so.

Nah, it's 100% Angela's. James stepped into her otherworld, like with Eddie.

:exactly:

It took me awhile to figure that out when I first played it though. Anybody played Maria's side story Born from a Wish? It was never released on the PS2 if I recall. It's pretty good, but rather short.

The Room's story was awesome and the game is the darkest and most sinister in the series. I remember my neighbor passed out playing the game. :lol

Sigh.. too bad the gameplay was a pain. It wasn't even meant o be a Silent Hill game until Konami forced it to be so.

It's a shame too, since SH4 was the one that frightened me the most and had one of the most interesting premises for a Silent Hill game. I really hated how you practically go through the same levels AGAIN (only now with SUPER GHOSTS instead of just regular ones). It was such a pain with little new elements introduced, and that final boss fight was even more of pain (don't think I ever got the good ending because of how ridiculous that boss fight was).

:exactly:

It took me awhile to figure that out when I first played it though. Anybody played Maria's side story Born from a Wish? It was never released on the PS2 if I recall. It's pretty good, but rather short.

Really love that side story, I was lucky that I got the Director's Cut of the PS2 (my copy is still fine today). Kinda sad though, since it brought more character/personality to Maria, but her inevitable fate in the main story leaves you feeling hopeless about it.

I keep dying so many times! Not to mention that there is no inverted camera/aim and they keep forcing the combat on you. I'll give it another try someday so long as the story is good.

Also, is Downpour worth buying?

IMO, very much yes. If you like Homecoming, you will really like/love Downpour. The story is a little different for once: you are a convict, you escape from a bus crash and find yourself in............SILENT HILL! Graphics very nice, and the tone was quite good. They introduced a mysterious mailman that, if you read the graphic novel, find he's been there since the late 19th century or so!

Damn, now I'm in the mood to play downpour or homecoming!!!!

Ok, so anyone play the Silent hill Vita game? Granted, it is NOT a silent hill title in the true sense, more of a dungeon crawler, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't well done, if you can accept it as a non SH Silent Hill

IMO, very much yes. If you like Homecoming, you will really like/love Downpour. The story is a little different for once: you are a convict, you escape from a bus crash and find yourself in............SILENT HILL! Graphics very nice, and the tone was quite good. They introduced a mysterious mailman that, if you read the graphic novel, find he's been there since the late 19th century or so!

Damn, now I'm in the mood to play downpour or homecoming!!!!

Ok, so anyone play the Silent hill Vita game? Granted, it is NOT a silent hill title in the true sense, more of a dungeon crawler, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't well done, if you can accept it as a non SH Silent Hill

I played the demo but I didn't understood how to play it. If you have a Vita just download the demo and see if you like it.

I really gotta beat Homecoming and buy Downpour someday. Does the absence of Yamoka felt throughout the game?

Last edited:
can't stand the Ghost that can only be stopped for few seconds with your precious silver bullet, and the random WTF when you walking around the room between the item box & save files. Also the stalker who keeps chasing & shooting at you whom cannot be defeated.

I played the demo but I didn't understood how to play it. If you have a Vita just download the demo and see if you like it.

I really gotta beat Homecoming and buy Downpour someday. Does the absence of Yamoka felt throughout the game?

Not for me, no. I felt his stuff got a little to same-y

I loved the first 3 games and soundtracks. 2 was the pinnacle of the series, in my opinion. A game that is one part Hellraiser and one part Blue Velvet is a win for me. Seriously though, it was dramatic and terrifying. I considered it to be exponentially better than most horror films in the modern era. 1 was cool for the originality of the concept and 3 for finishing the story.

4 was just lost on me. I really couldn't get into it like the others not to mention how difficult it was due to my weak gaming abilities. After that, you lose Team Silent and the real passion behind the games. Now you have Korn on the soundtrack and it feels like a really bad remake of a movie you like. To each his own though if you like the new ones.

Korn only did the theme song which fit perfectly in downpour...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

While I have seen that interpretation before, I would have to respectfully disagree on the notion especially since James was never fully characterized as a father enough that it would warrant the monster's specific naming (not to mention the monster only appeared first as a boss that was attacking Angela that was literally followed by her beating the crap out of it, only later becoming a "regular" enemy in the hotel where Angela was still present). Then there's the fact that two other monsters are already symbolic of Mary's bed-ridden imagery through the iron "bed" frames of the Flesh Lips and especially the final boss.

There are a few reasons why people have interpreted that monster to be a manifestation of James smothering his wife. It can be inferred from James' conversation with Eddie that James is the only one who sees Pyramid Head. Eddie admits to seeing monsters in Silent Hill but not Pyramid Head. It is possible that he just hasn't encountered him yet or that everyone's torment manifests differently. Then you have to take into consideration that the game is seen through James' perspective so we see what he sees. As a result, we can't say for sure that what he sees attacking Angela is what she sees attacking her. Granted, the name does make a solid case but I'm just presenting what I've heard and seen for myself.

There are a few reasons why people have interpreted that monster to be a manifestation of James smothering his wife. It can be inferred from James' conversation with Eddie that James is the only one who sees Pyramid Head. Eddie admits to seeing monsters in Silent Hill but not Pyramid Head. It is possible that he just hasn't encountered him yet or that everyone's torment manifests differently. Then you have to take into consideration that the game is seen through James' perspective so we see what he sees. As a result, we can't say for sure that what he sees attacking Angela is what she sees attacking her. Granted, the name does make a solid case but I'm just presenting what I've heard and seen for myself.

Hmmm fair enough, though admittedly I do attribute James being able to see the Abstract Daddy as his sign of empathy towards Angela (especially when you consider the fiery stairs where James could finally see what Angela sees).

Korn only did the theme song which fit perfectly in downpour...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yeah... the Korn theme was barely felt throughout and as a theme song it was still (surprisingly) appropriate for what Downpour was going for. The grungy sort of vibe really nailed the harsh atmosphere of the prison theme and the whispering of the children combined with the lyrical chanting felt in-line with the Bogeyman's role and presence.

Korn song was such a nonissue in reality. And for those that have written off Downpour, I'd say check it out. Once you get to Silent Hill, its pretty good. Not great, not bad, but good!

I definitely enjoyed exploring the town of Silent Hill. Those cop cars yo.

I should re-play it this Summer. It was one of the funner games since 4.

I am finishing up my first play through Downpour right now; just beat the Bogeyman. My take on the 'theme' of this Silent Hill is that violence begets more violence.

You've all inspired me to replay Downpour. My one issue with the game was (originally) technical: lots of hiccups once SH town reached. A patch was done some time ago to correct the issue; gonna find out if true. Please please please be true.

And downpour is $13 used on Amazon - worth $13

Honest question of the day: anyone here NOT play the original Silent Hill for PSONE? If not, shame shame shame on you! Still awesome. Sure, its dated as hell, graphics-wise, but that game was so ahead of its time. I have yet to unlock everything myself, not gonna lie, like the laser gun and some stuff like that

You've all inspired me to replay Downpour. My one issue with the game was (originally) technical: lots of hiccups once SH town reached. A patch was done some time ago to correct the issue; gonna find out if true. Please please please be true.

The only place so far that I have had technical hiccups (PS3) was in Saint Maria's; lots of slow door loadings and one freeze when all the medical beds appear.

I actually enjoy the randomness/rarity of monsters...it adds to the psychological thriller feeling and separates Silent Hill from the slew of 'survival action' wanna-be horror games that have flooded the market.

And downpour is $13 used on Amazon - worth $13

Me too. I'm getting Downpour due to all the feedback here. Honestly, there isn't a bad Silent Hill game despite Team Silent's disbandment, it's just nitpicking. There is no Silent Hill game that garnered negative reviews, unlike say, Resident Evil.

Honest question of the day: anyone here NOT play the original Silent Hill for PSONE? If not, shame shame shame on you! Still awesome. Sure, its dated as hell, graphics-wise, but that game was so ahead of its time. I have yet to unlock everything myself, not gonna lie, like the laser gun and some stuff like that

:exactly: :goodpost:

I'm currently replaying it on the Vita. I know some cats here and in real life who haven't played SH1 or only played it once when they were younger. Every time I hear that, a bit of me dies inside. :lol

Last edited:
Back