An open discussion of the current state of the film landscape.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think part of the the issue is that female characters are bring written as being "good" and/or "strong" just because they're female, and not because, well, they're just good and strong. Captain Marvel I am looking at you (ahem).

No one blinks an eye at Ripley, she's not strong because she's female, but because she's just a strong character.

Edge of Tomorrow springs to mind as well. Emily Blunt's character kicks arse, not because she's a female, just because she kicks arse.

Claric Starling? Princess Leia? Katniss Everdeen? Furiosa?

There's plenty of movies with great, strong female characters/leads I love. Not because they're female, just because they're good characters. Hollywood needs to (re)learn to write good characters, above all else, and if they're good, it doesn't matter if they have dangly bits between their legs or not.

It's been nice seeing more black women in movies that are cool or appealing. I don't like it when they just turn a white character into a black character though. Stuff like the new Annie and Little Mermaid, it just comes across like the film industry is incapable of writing a black woman without using a white woman as a base.

As the kids say now, "it's kind of cringe".

Edit: Sorry for the bump. I didn't notice how old the thread was.

Last edited:
Back