Media The Silent Hill series discussion thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameson Rook

Super Freak
Reaction score
This thread will pertain to the discussion of any Silent Hill related media such as games, movies, soundtracks or anything in between. Please tag your spoilers as there are many to have yet play the all of the games, regardless of how insignificant you might think it is.

Games:

1 Silent Hill
2 Silent Hill 2
3 Silent Hill 3
4 Silent Hill 4: The Room
5 Silent Hill: The Arcade
6 Silent Hill: Origins
7 Silent Hill: Homecoming
8 Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
9 Silent Hill: Downpour
10 Silent Hill: HD Collection
11 Silent Hill: Book of Memories

Movies:
1 Silent Hill
2 Silent Hill Revelations 3D

Graphic Novels:

Silent Hill 2000
Silent Hill: Dying Inside
Silent Hill: Among the Damned
Silent Hill: Paint it Black
Silent Hill: The Grinning Man
Silent Hill: Dead/Alive
Silent Hill: Hunger
Silent Hill: Sinner’s Reward
Silent Hill: Past Life

Official Soundtrack Albums (All composed by Akira Yamoka except Silent Hill: Downpour):

Silent Hill Original Soundtracks(1999)
Silent Hill 2 Original Soundtracks (2001)
Silent Hill 3 Original Soundtracks (2003)
Silent Hill 4: The Room Original Soundtracks (2004)
Silent Hill (2006) – with Jeff Danna
Silent Hill: Origins (Zero in Japan) Original Soundtracks (2007)
Silent Hill Homecoming Original Soundtracks (2008)
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories Original Soundtracks (2009)
Silent Hill Sounds Box (2011)

Last edited:
Spoiler Spoiler:

No spoilers. ))))

I think Silent Hill in it's progression is currently dead. They just don't want to go really deep into original mythology while making the new game. And we get what we get. Quite OK, but pretty lazy and bioclean Downpour proves me words. SH concept gives almost innumerable options to build the new unique and good story, but developers should learn it's roots before. Or they should be Team Silent (and still we could get pretty weird SH4). It's very lame to restart Silent Hill with Kojima, he's not the right person for the serious psychological horror game. As lame as it was trying to put SH on the portable consoles or make the remake of the first game before.
Anyway, Silent Hill already has it's legacy. It will stay not only in our hearts, but in the gaming textbooks too. For sure.

Ryan Pliskin, and what about comics?

Silent Hill 2000 (never released)
Silent Hill: Dying Inside 2002
Silent Hill: Among the Damned 2004
Silent Hill: Paint it Black 2005
Silent Hill: The Grinning Man 2005
Silent Hill: Dead/Alive 2005
Silent Hill: Hunger 2006
Silent Hill: Sinner’s Reward 2008
Silent Hill: Past Life 2010-2011

I would love to see a remake of the 1st game, nothing altered just the same game with better graphics.

Ok, so Homecoming and Downpour were not bad games at all; they were average, but enjoyable. I think the problem is Konami - are they even still in business beside MGS franchise? I kinda wish they would sell off the franchise. And many argue they remade the original as Shattered Memories.

Shattered Memories is not a remake, it is a reimagining...which is quite poor. Gameplay mechanics were awful, and it was super repetitive when being chased by a creature. The only thing good to come out of it was the plot and characters. I really liked what they did to Harry.

This may be a very unpopular opinion, but personally my top favorite Silent Hill's are SH2, Downpour, Shattered Memories and SH1.

Also while I definitely share some crits towards later entries in the series, I never thought they were as horrible as some people put them out to be ("misguided" is a more appropriate term I'd use). Average at best (especially Homecoming) but never truly terrible. I'll admit what I really liked about Shattered Memories was how they tried something new and yes while the chase scenes get repetitive, I personally felt that it worked surprisingly well on the Wii (the PS2 port kind of destroys the whole point to be honest) and a had great story to boot (at least if you get the most "positive" ending anyway). Downpour felt like the first legitimate next-gen Silent Hill game, and had a solid enough story with very organic gameplay that felt like a true successor to the classic Silent Hill gameplay conventions; specifically it felt like a natural progression from the original SH's by Team Silent.

On the design front, most of the recent monsters are nothing to write home about, but I did like the morbid simplicity of the Wheelman and the Bogeyman and I thought they were great enemies on a thematic level without being derivative of past big enemies (not even PH). Also much as Homecoming barely scared me, I felt that the Scarlet boss was a hidden gem and arguably the only time that I felt that Homecoming had truly captured the essence of Silent Hill, so I give them props for that.

The one thing I loved about Downpour: the return of roaming and introduction of side missions. What I didn't like: technical issues and very limited bad guys. The prequel comic that went along with it, Past Life, was awesome, imo. Menton3 has some great art in that one.

Spoiler Spoiler:

No spoilers. ))))

I think Silent Hill in it's progression is currently dead. They just don't want to go really deep into original mythology while making the new game. And we get what we get. Quite OK, but pretty lazy and bioclean Downpour proves me words. SH concept gives almost innumerable options to build the new unique and good story, but developers should learn it's roots before. Or they should be Team Silent (and still we could get pretty weird SH4). It's very lame to restart Silent Hill with Kojima, he's not the right person for the serious psychological horror game. As lame as it was trying to put SH on the portable consoles or make the remake of the first game before.
Anyway, Silent Hill already has it's legacy. It will stay not only in our hearts, but in the gaming textbooks too. For sure.

Ryan Pliskin, and what about comics?

Silent Hill 2000 (never released)
Silent Hill: Dying Inside 2002
Silent Hill: Among the Damned 2004
Silent Hill: Paint it Black 2005
Silent Hill: The Grinning Man 2005
Silent Hill: Dead/Alive 2005
Silent Hill: Hunger 2006
Silent Hill: Sinner’s Reward 2008
Silent Hill: Past Life 2010-2011

Oh, make no mistake, Silent Hill IS dead, ever since Team Silent disbanded the magic seems to be missing from most of the sequels. Akira Yamaoka was the only glue to the series that's gradually breaking apart. the only reason I play the newer games is because of him and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

I forgot about the graphic novels. I've read dying inside, it was weird. :lol

Ok, so Homecoming and Downpour were not bad games at all; they were average, but enjoyable. I think the problem is Konami - are they even still in business beside MGS franchise? I kinda wish they would sell off the franchise. And many argue they remade the original as Shattered Memories.

I could never beat Homecoming for some reason. I tried way back at launch and it was a bit too hard for me. I tried it again few weeks ago and the game glitched on me when I try to use the keypad at the very beginning, it wont let me exit! :lol

This may be a very unpopular opinion, but personally my top favorite Silent Hill's are SH2, Downpour, Shattered Memories and SH1.

I LOVE Shattered Memories, and that rendition of Elvis Presley's was badass! Still though, why the heck isn't Silent Hill 3 in your list? :lol :slap

yeah, Homecoming has some tough combat, and I actually thought that one was the closest to a 'classic' game as the modern titles have gotten. The story was way too similar to the originals though.

I LOVE Shattered Memories, and that rendition of Elvis Presley's was badass! Still though, why the heck isn't Silent Hill 3 in your list? :lol :slap

Oh no, that's not a knock against SH3 or anything, as I thought it was a really good game (gameplay was great and I liked Heather as a protagonist too). Rather in terms of preferential bias, it's just not one of my favorites. On the note of Silent Hill being dead, if that's the true and honest case, I don't mind the main titles ending with Downpour especially since it was one of the better SH's that wasn't made by Team Silent.

yeah, Homecoming has some tough combat, and I actually thought that one was the closest to a 'classic' game as the modern titles have gotten. The story was way too similar to the originals though.

I keep dying so many times! Not to mention that there is no inverted camera/aim and they keep forcing the combat on you. I'll give it another try someday so long as the story is good.

Also, is Downpour worth buying?

As someone who has had Silent Hill close to the heart since playing the first game, I thoroughly enjoyed Homecoming. I own downpour but have yet to play it. I had no idea which console to buy it for since I've heard of so many problems so I went with the PS3 version.

Hopefully I made a good choice.

As someone who has had Silent Hill close to the heart since playing the first game, I thoroughly enjoyed Homecoming. I own downpour but have yet to play it. I had no idea which console to buy it for since I've heard of so many problems so I went with the PS3 version.

Hopefully I made a good choice.

I heard a lot of people saying that they had bugs or corrupt files (not sure which console though).

Aside from the shoddy frame-rate (my only real blatant criticism towards Downpour) it played splendidly on my PS3 and I've never had corrupt files nor has it ever crashed on me at all. Just let the game load properly when it's doing an auto-save and it should run smoothly. Some folks make the mistake of quitting the game or turning off the console (seriously) every time an auto-save occurs (which happens a lot depending on the checkpoint) and that's usually what causes it to get even worse. Basically, just let it load (stop running around or doing something frantic in-game) whenever it auto-saves and it should be fine.

Somewhat off-topic, but I do kinda wish we got figures of Murphy and the Bogeyman as I really loved the thematic concept behind the monster as simple as it seems. The name is sort of a giveaway but the way that the idea is played out is thoughtfully appropriate and not at all derivative of Pyramid Head (I especially love the idea of using a foreboding nursery rhyme as part of the monster's motif). Damn it, now I wanna play the game again...

Yes that's Heather in Silent Hill 3. You're right about the freckles though, I'm doing the touch ups now. By the way, I highly disapprove you of not getting in the series. Head to the new Silent Hill thread so I can berate you. :lol

:moon

Yeah, I'll have to download the games on Steam. I only played Silent Hills 1 and 2, many years ago. And for some reason, I never continued the series since then.

:moon

Yeah, I'll have to download the games on Steam. I only played Silent Hills 1 and 2, many years ago. And for some reason, I never continued the series since then.

You're a terrible person. :lol

Anyway, I've grown to appreciate the series as I get older and find them even more disturbing. A lot of symbolism and themes just went right over my head when I first played them many moons ago. I replayed SH2 earlier this year and was scared out of my mind.

Do you have the PS1 original? Or just get it on PSN.

As for Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4, they're not on Steam. I've seen countless request for that but what does Konami cares. Looks like you'll have to get good ol' physical copies.

SH2 is the only one I like overall.
"The Room" had good story but lacked the atmosphere and character development.

The main story line of this series is waaaaay too dull and pretentious for me :lol

I loved SH2. It was a very cerebral game, and if you really take a look at the monsters in it, their appearances are all manifested from James's subconscious. I also liked the multiple endings.

Back