Silent Hill: Downpour (originally SH 8)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So i go in to my local games shop on the 'release' date. No Silent Hill. Dudes in the store say April 5. WTF Konami, the release of SH: Downpour and SH HD collection has been a total ____ing fail.

You can still play with original voice work? I did not know that. Fantastic. Still curious about the new voices though.

Yes and no. The original voices included for SH2 ONLY....or new; with SH3 new only, which is a major bummer as Heather Morris did a recent interview saying she had no idea an updated SH3 was being done. :slap

She is literally my fav voice actress in the series so major bummer for me personally. Its nice having original voices for SH2 though. New ones, while modern and professional, sound off to me. Way, way off and they have audio issues too. Played with new for 10 mins then started over with original. 5.1 mix is pretty sweet.

SH2 will have the noise effect option on (grain) until NG+, then you can turn it off; SH3 can be turned off right away

Yes and no. The original voices included for SH2 ONLY....or new; with SH3 new only, which is a major bummer as Heather Morris did a recent interview saying she had no idea an updated SH3 was being done. :slap

She is literally my fav voice actress in the series so major bummer for me personally. Its nice having original voices for SH2 though. New ones, while modern and professional, sound off to me. Way, way off and they have audio issues too. Played with new for 10 mins then started over with original. 5.1 mix is pretty sweet.

SH2 will have the noise effect option on (grain) until NG+, then you can turn it off; SH3 can be turned off right away

That suks! :slap

This is a SH3 voice sample.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-z76CfGDnw&feature=related[/ame]

Loved Heathers original voice, but her new voice is'nt bad at all... however Douglas voice stinks :monkey4

Ans a video comparision :

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQxW6h920UY[/ame]

How is the SH HD port? ...I read before that the SH2 HD port has frame drops.. :/

Last edited:
Playing Sh2 on HD, and I really dig it, personally. I mean, its the original game - If I wasnt aware of changes, I'd have played and said they just put in 5.1 and 16:9

The change of voice actors being a detriment to the games is debatable, and from what I've heard of it, I don't mind, but the visuals took a step backward in their transition to HD. Also, some fans have reported that some scenes were edited from the original games (The Pyramid Head rape scene in SH2 has been altered, for example).

Lighting, downgraded. Depth-of-field, gone. Texture-work is noticeably different.

These visual discrepancies may not be deal-breakers to some, as they don't really affect gameplay (unless you're playing on the PS3 version, which is suffering from framerate issues). Still, it's not good enough for me, who has the pc version of SH2.

Original PC version on top, HD version bottom.
R9dOq.jpg

mB5BO.jpg

SLPuI.jpg

GWwxi.jpg

Fog and ambient effects, downgraded:

a87x4i.gif

(HD left, original right)
zV6Fp.jpg

Last edited:
plasmid303, i am starting to realize you are a SH hater, man!!! LOL

Fans' that are saying the phead rape scene has been altered are talking out their ass. I've seen it, and its the same. I dont like the downgraded fog in SH3, but not a real huge issue; SH2 has original voices and new as an option; SH3 only has new, which is a bummer for me, but I still have every SH game made, so if I want the original that bad, I'll just pop it into my PS3, which I do. (master of run on sentences goes to....ME!!)

And comparing PC to any console, HD or not = not fair. PC will always win! This is not aimed at anyone here, not at all, but I love seeing the pic of the clean walkway, as I swear fans are literally like, 'OMG, they broke the game by cleaning the sidewalks and paveways!!!!!' Like that really impacts the game, really.

I say the more fog the better when it comes to Silent Hill.

I agree. I am not sure what the producers behind the HD edition were thinking with cleaning up the fog in Sh3; not sure if this is just the beginning or later in streets too - I am finishing up SH2 now, and will move on to Sh3 next. SH2 edition has lots of fog and to me, looks great. Definitely not cleaned up there.

But, glad I have all the original games. SH3 original voice cast was pretty good, except Vincent. Always disliked the sound of that character.

plasmid303, i am starting to realize you are a SH hater, man!!! LOL

Fans' that are saying the phead rape scene has been altered are talking out their ass. I've seen it, and its the same. I dont like the downgraded fog in SH3, but not a real huge issue; SH2 has original voices and new as an option; SH3 only has new, which is a bummer for me, but I still have every SH game made, so if I want the original that bad, I'll just pop it into my PS3, which I do. (master of run on sentences goes to....ME!!)

And comparing PC to any console, HD or not = not fair. PC will always win! This is not aimed at anyone here, not at all, but I love seeing the pic of the clean walkway, as I swear fans are literally like, 'OMG, they broke the game by cleaning the sidewalks and paveways!!!!!' Like that really impacts the game, really.

:lol I'm not a hater, I love the original games. Verdict's still out on Downpour but I don't dislike it.

I just think the HD Collection compromised too much to get the games into HD resolution.

I did compare the PC version with the collection, but keep in mind the PC version is 10 years old, built for computers from that era (for SH2, about 8 years old for SH3). There's no reason why current consoles can't replicate the details and quality of games that are 10 years old.

As for the walkways and paveways, I just used one example. I think if you took multiple examples throughout the HD Collection, you'd find more lackluster texture work.

That in itself doesn't bother me too much, but the reduction of fog does, and so does the lighting changes. I want to play these games exactly like how I remember them, but on my big HD tv. But that's not what the new collection gives me, so I'll just stick to my decade-old pc versions whenever I need to replay them.

As for the altered scenes. I can't attest to the validity, but just passing on what I've read elsewhere. I hope they're wrong.

:lol I'm not a hater, I love the original games. Verdict's still out on Downpour but I don't dislike it.

I just think the HD Collection compromised too much to get the games into HD resolution.

I did compare the PC version with the collection, but keep in mind the PC version is 10 years old, built for computers from that era (for SH2, about 8 years old for SH3). There's no reason why current consoles can't replicate the details and quality of games that are 10 years old.

As for the walkways and paveways, I just used one example. I think if you took multiple examples throughout the HD Collection, you'd find more lackluster texture work.

That in itself doesn't bother me too much, but the reduction of fog does, and so does the lighting changes. I want to play these games exactly like how I remember them, but on my big HD tv. But that's not what the new collection gives me, so I'll just stick to my decade-old pc versions whenever I need to replay them.

As for the altered scenes. I can't attest to the validity, but just passing on what I've read elsewhere. I hope they're wrong.

:exactly::goodpost:

I think the same ..

I'm a SH fan since the SH1, but this HD collection is just a very poor and lazy HD port.. I did'nt espect too much, just the same quality than the original SH games in HD quality , but it seems that in the end did not even have fulfilled that :/

The minimum requested is a consistent FR, and I'm not talking of 60fps, or PS3/360 graphics just an smoth 30fps, with not frame drops, and this HD port has frame drops ¿?.. I request the same volumetric fog (or better) than the original or slightly improved lighting effects..however this lazy port does not meet even the minimum requirements :(

I do agree with you guys, that fog, similar or improved effects (not removed ones) are expected in a quality port, as is a consistent FR, while SH2 HD is ok, its definitely not 60 fps - maybe 30....

if I had to guess as to the problem, its Konami itself and they way they want to put zero money or quality time into a project. They are playing the numbers game of minimum effort while still getting an 'x' amt to buy this one, like me!

Silent Hill collection should have everyone raving about how great the games look and how smooth they are, yet its not happening.

Its the dark ages for SH fans, me thinks. I would love it if Konami sold the franchise to someone else that will at least put a decent budget and actual marketing into a game

Plasmid: can you change this to just a general SH thread? seems appropriate....thanks

Last edited:
I think the problem with SH and some of the reviews is due to them not changing like resident evil. I remember playing resident evil 4 on the wii. I got fantastic reviews and people loved it. I enjoyed it but to me it really wasnt resident evil. It was more of a shooter.

I miss the old survival horror games so I think I will will end up liking downpour.

Unfortunately gamers in general are starting pick sides. It's either FPS and non stop multiplayer or people that enjoy everything else. I don't want a hybrid. I enjoy both fortunately.

A lot of people say that the market for 'survival horror' is a very niche market, thus the reason why Resident Evil is more action than horror anymore - some logic to it

That said, i would not mind if SH followed a similar suite - if the action is frantic, yet the story is still there, I wouldn't mind. Replaying SH2, some of the puzzles strke me as dated

I think the problem with SH and some of the reviews is due to them not changing like resident evil. I remember playing resident evil 4 on the wii. I got fantastic reviews and people loved it. I enjoyed it but to me it really wasnt resident evil. It was more of a shooter.

I miss the old survival horror games so I think I will will end up liking downpour.

Completely agree mate.

I still want to get Downpour, but I'm on the fence about the HD Collection. I was really looking forward to it too because SH2 is one of my all-time faves.

Back