Media "Game of the Year" Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solidus

Super Freak
Reaction score
What's your personal "Game of the Year"? Let's discuss!

I'm not going to make a poll for this one because only 10 options are allowed for a thread :lol. But, I'll edit the opening post with each game that's listed as well as the number of votes.

Personally, I'd have to go with Alien: Isolation. It's the most unique horror experience I've ever had in a video game.

Game Nominations:
Alien: Isolation - Solidus, WesMordine, cokebabies, Brainiac, Nova, BugStomper, (6)
Bayonetta 2 - LittleBahamut (1)
Dark Souls 2 - bicoid18, (1)
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Deedzy, Snappahead, It's Sisko, Therivox (4)
Far Cry 4: creasy, (1)
GTA V (PS4, Remastered) - a2themonster (1)
Hyrule Warriors - Biojex, (1)
Infamous: Second Son -iron.jedi83, (1)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - pturtle, (1)
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - hairlesswookiee, (1)
Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire - CallMeTheDoctor, (1)
P.T (Silent Hill Demo) - Matt S (1)
Super Smash Bros. - BurningRage, (1)
The Evil Within - franpincho, (1)
The Last of Us: Remastered - krec9, (1)

Total Votes: 23

Last edited:
Haven't played many games this year but I was most impressed with Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4).

It was a great experience, albeit a short experience but great nonetheless. Graphics, gameplay, atmosphere, and voice acting all felt like proper current gen.

My runner up would probably be Infamous Second Son.

Haven't played many games this year but I was most impressed with Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4).

It was a great experience, albeit a short experience but great nonetheless. Graphics, gameplay, atmosphere, and voice acting all felt like proper current gen.

My runner up would probably be Infamous Second Son.

Alright! :duff I didn't appreciate the length of GZ, but I REALLY have to give it a second try on current gen or PC. From what some folks have said (especially Ryan) PS3 version was so lackluster.

Alien Isolation gets my vote, too.

(but I missed out on the great Nintendo games)

Nice! :rock

Top dog for me was Dragon Age : Inquisition.

A distant second was Destiny, it had issues but it scratches a particular itch WoW left me with.

Haven't played a Game of the Year yet. Year started off with Titanfall, which lost appeal quickly. Then Watch Dogs. Meh. Followed by Destiny. Which, I love and have put too many hours into, but there is still too much wrong with it. AC:Unity was a mess, and I'm not through all of Far Cry 4 yet. Hoping to get DA around Christmas.

Alright! :duff I didn't appreciate the length of GZ, but I REALLY have to give it a second try on current gen or PC. From what some folks have said (especially Ryan) PS3 version was so lackluster.

Nice! :rock

The gameplay feels great, but yea the demo length story takes away from the overall experience unfortunately.

Unfortunately, the only games that gripped me this year were remasters such as FFX, The Last of Us and GTAV. :slap

My favorite so far has been Infamous Second Son but I have not gotten a chance to really get into dragon age inquisition

My 2014 list is a lot of "by default" winners, where I liked what I played, but my top games would drop down a lot in many other previous years.

In order, I guess:

Alien Isolation (this game ranks far above the others)

The Evil Within
TWD Season 2 (I think 80% of this was 2014, anyway)
Probably something else. Placeholder, I guess.

I'm not sure, some stuff I think are pretty good, like Alien Isolation and Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor, but I haven't been able to get myself to continue playing them. The games I've spent the most time with are some rereleases, like GTAV and The Last of Us Remastered. Other than that, I've put a lot of time into Destiny and I'm working my way through Dragon Age Inquisition.

I have a few favourites. Alien Isolation, Farcry 4, and Sunset Overdrive actually. For a year of sequels and HD remakes, I feel it stood out among them and a bonus was it was really fun. But I'm just on xbox so I can't speak to Nintendo, Sony, or some of the PC releases.

I can also honestly say that Destiny in no way deserves GOTY.

For me it's Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. As someone else mentioned, there's plenty of good games, but nothing truly stands out above the rest IMO.

7080g5.jpg

I have yet to play Alien, so I don't really have a choice yet. Nothing else this year really jumped out at me as GOTY, although I don't think I've bought any games outside of the games that came with PS4.

Back