Media The Silent Hill series discussion thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am NEVER letting go of my PS2 and PS3. Am still quite young (college and whatnot) but I hope sometime in the distant future I'll have a decent collection of physical games for both consoles. Got my PS Vita (and PC I suppose) for PS1 emulation. There's just something about games of the PS2 era that is so timeless. I played a handful of games when I was a kid but not old enough to appreciate them. Now, revisiting older games AND playing ones I never did (like Silent Hill) and man I'm in love.
Wise choice. I still have my consoles and all are hooked up with my copies of all the SH games ready to go. I agree that the sixth gen consoles are the peak of gaming imo, because mostly that was the last generation where developers were allowed to take risks and do experimental stuff which is impossible today where games HAVE to make a profit thus every game has to appeal to the broadest audience and feels too ubiquitous. These YT dudes explain it best on just why that gen was so awesome:

I just want a good Heather 1/6 figure. Pipe, Katana, Saber, pistol, radio, necklace, (if they could make a working 1/6th pocket flashlight I’d be in Heaven)

Deluxe edition with Princess Heart outfit and sexy beam no jutsu

Wise choice. I still have my consoles and all are hooked up with my copies of all the SH games ready to go. I agree that the sixth gen consoles are the peak of gaming imo, because mostly that was the last generation where developers were allowed to take risks and do experimental stuff which is impossible today where games HAVE to make a profit thus every game has to appeal to the broadest audience and feels too ubiquitous. These YT dudes explain it best on just why that gen was so awesome:

Damn, excellent video. A part of me wants to avoid looking like a cynic/pessimist at just 22 but I totally get this. No shade against newer AAA games, they are definitely quality, but many of the great ones feel like an amalgamation of tried-and-tested formulae and game mechanics that have been slowly refined over the years. And as the folks in the video mentioned, graphical evolution also slowed down past that gen (I guess all that means is unlike rough polygon models of pre PS1 games, PS2 had the tech for things like better facial animations, more elaborate environments, etc).
I suppose there is a valid argument of expecting devs to innovate constantly is a bit much and it's fine to have refinements/improvements instead but still... things start to feel kind of homogenized... for better or wose. I guess indie studios are the ones leading the charge on that end.

Pyramid Head and James statue renders from Figurama, no details yet but this line seems to typically be 1/6

https://figurama-collectors.com/col...-red-pyramid-thing-vs-james-sunderland-statue
PrvDrBN.jpg

ljVMyFf.jpg

Looks amazing and I'm probably getting that James but I've surrendered to the fact that everyone pretends like SH2 is the only game in the series spanning over half a dozen games, it reminds me when the Dark Knight craze when people acted as if those were the only Batman movies worth watching. I'd wished I'd see see something from SH1, 3, 4, SM for a change.

My friend joked that he was surprised that the SH2 remake wasn't called "The Silent Hill: The Definitive Edition" as to retool it to wipe the slate clean of all the sequels since that's the only thing the public seem to revere about the series.

Last edited:
Looks amazing and I'm probably getting that James but I've surrendered to the fact that everyone pretends like SH2 is the only game in the series spanning over half a dozen games, it reminds me when the Dark Knight craze when people acted as if those were the only Batman movies worth watching. I'd wished I'd see see something from SH1, 3, 4, SM for a change.

My friend joked that he was surprised that the SH2 remake wasn't called "The Silent Hill: The Definitive Edition" as to retool it to wipe the slate clean of all the sequels since that's the only thing the public seem to revere about the series.
The crazy thing to me is SH2 got a lot of praise, but it wasn’t this huge moneymaker. Part of the reason SH3 went back to the cult story was they had a lot of fans - particularly in Japan - that felt SH2 was too disconnected from the first.

The crazy thing to me is SH2 got a lot of praise, but it wasn’t this huge moneymaker. Part of the reason SH3 went back to the cult story was they had a lot of fans - particularly in Japan - that felt SH2 was too disconnected from the first.
Yeah I remember when it came out it had a mixed reception, especially since it was the same year people were going crazy over Final Fantasy X & Metal Gear Solid 2. I'm guessing a lot of reverence people had for SH2 was because it was the first and only SH game they played. I remember playing it when it came out it and loved it, but thought the first game was much scarier.

You're right about SH3, the developers went back to the lore after fans complained how disconnected SH2 was and instead of trying to outdo SH2's brilliant story, they focused on things they could improve-- namely the gameplay, scares and a more appealing main character which is a definite improvement. James wasn't meant to be a character you'd relate to while Heather is sassy, smart and resilient and the gameplay of SH3 felt more balanced akin to a classic Resident Evil than the (intentionally) shambling slog of SH2.

Don't get me wrong, it kinda sounds like I was trashing SH2 there and that's not the case at all-- I LOVE SH2 but I think the reverence for it is a bit disproportionate which is a shame since there are plenty of merits to be discussed about the other games.

Yeah I remember when it came out it had a mixed reception, especially since it was the same year people were going crazy over Final Fantasy X & Metal Gear Solid 2. I'm guessing a lot of reverence people had for SH2 was because it was the first and only SH game they played. I remember playing it when it came out it and loved it, but thought the first game was much scarier.

You're right about SH3, the developers went back to the lore after fans complained how disconnected SH2 was and instead of trying to outdo SH2's brilliant story, they focused on things they could improve-- namely the gameplay, scares and a more appealing main character which is a definite improvement. James wasn't meant to be a character you'd relate to while Heather is sassy, smart and resilient and the gameplay of SH3 felt more balanced akin to a classic Resident Evil than the (intentionally) shambling slog of SH2.

Don't get me wrong, it kinda sounds like I was trashing SH2 there and that's not the case at all-- I LOVE SH2 but I think the reverence for it is a bit disproportionate which is a shame since there are plenty of merits to be discussed about the other games.
You’re not wrong. SH2 was the first in the series for many fans. And Pyramid Head was a breakout monster the way Nemesis was for Resident Evil. The fact so many later games (mostly from the western teams) tried to just recreate SH2 and borrow liberally from its monsters and themes sort of made SH2 the “source” for all things Silent Hill, and it was rightly acclaimed for its themes that few games dared tackle intelligently in the following years.

… but it’s not remotely my favorite horror game or even Silent Hill game.

You’re not wrong. SH2 was the first in the series for many fans. And Pyramid Head was a breakout monster the way Nemesis was for Resident Evil. The fact so many later games (mostly from the western teams) tried to just recreate SH2 and borrow liberally from its monsters and themes sort of made SH2 the “source” for all things Silent Hill, and it was rightly acclaimed for its themes that few games dared tackle intelligently in the following years.

… but it’s not remotely my favorite horror game or even Silent Hill game.

Okay you got me curious, what's your fav horror and SH game?

At first I did not want it but with all the changes they made (mosty James face and knife size) with the fact its the only 1/4 out there I bought it. I got the 2 iconiq figures on PO too, so its probably everything Ill ever buy from SH. Id only buy some human characters from iconiq now. Maybe the 1/6 heather action figure from gecco.

The face is so bad.. :/ but after preordering both of the Iconiq figures and figurama dio I'm set anyway. Would love to have something cool from SH 1/3 tho.

If the newer Pyramid head was in scale I would have gotten both. But it is way too small, so hopefully someone makes a 1/6 James to go with the Iconiq Pyramid Head.

Back