The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, not too sure about that. Let's take measles for example, used to be eradicated, until people decided that vaccines are bad. Now there is no herd immunity for it because not enough people are being vaccinated for it now. This same situation is going to play out for Covid-19. You already have the same anti-vaccers saying they will not take it, and a large amount of people for political reasons are saying they will refuse it as well. As such we cannot count on herd immunity at all.

Reports are basically saying that even after a vaccine (or multiple vaccines) are found, that we will be dealing with Covid-19 for a very long time. I hope that people come around and vaccinate when it is time to do so, but if a significant number do not, then life going back to normal (pre-pandemic normal) is not happening. Not sure if we'll ever go back to exactly how we were pre-pandemic, but something closely approximating "normal" will be nice - though if everyone being cleaner now is one of the changes from all of this, then I'm all for it.

Where I am, wearing a mask outside your house is now a rule. You even have to wear it in the car if you have at least 1 other person with you. You even have to wear it under your helmet when you're on motorbike. No establishment will let you in without a mask and most will check your temperature and require you to disinfect your hands with alcohol at the door.

People below 21 and above 65 are still not allowed to go outside unless for essentials (buying food, medicine or paying bills). My kids haven't been out of the house since the first week of March. I'm glad they aren't complaining yet hahahaha!

Things are definitely going to be different moving forward. I wonder if this will mean a cut in movie budgets too (killing most superhero blockbusters as we know em).

Where are you? Just curious.

Hmm, not too sure about that. Let's take measles for example, used to be eradicated, until people decided that vaccines are bad. Now there is no herd immunity for it because not enough people are being vaccinated for it now. This same situation is going to play out for Covid-19. You already have the same anti-vaccers saying they will not take it, and a large amount of people for political reasons are saying they will refuse it as well. As such we cannot count on herd immunity at all.

Reports are basically saying that even after a vaccine (or multiple vaccines) are found, that we will be dealing with Covid-19 for a very long time. I hope that people come around and vaccinate when it is time to do so, but if a significant number do not, then life going back to normal (pre-pandemic normal) is not happening. Not sure if we'll ever go back to exactly how we were pre-pandemic, but something closely approximating "normal" will be nice - though if everyone being cleaner now is one of the changes from all of this, then I'm all for it.

Vaccines aren't necessarily the answer - it depends on the vaccine, many of which are not safe (or effective): https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/04/measles-outbreak-traced-fully-vaccinated-patient-first-time

In addition, my understanding is that there has never been an effective vaccine developed for a coronavirus, so let's not hitch our wagons to the vaccine train just yet.

The best answer could simply be an effective treatment option like an antibiotic.

I can't disagree with your post (as far as only one solution) but it also backs up my point. When everyone is vaccinated, herd immunity kicks in, but without out everyone has a chance of continuing to get whatever we have vaccinated against - this includes measles, though not as likely but it can happen (which is why there are so few cases of someone being vaccinated and getting measles - from the CDC website: The majority of cases were among people who were not vaccinated against measles. Measles is more likely to spread and cause outbreaks in U.S. communities where groups of people are unvaccinated.)

All this said, please note that I'm not trying to argue or anything.

Perhaps I have a misunderstanding but the swedes have been talking about herd immunity with no vaccine in sight. Likewise the Brits at the start of the pandemic considered just letting the virus play out till herd immunity was built up - again, no vaccines considered likely for over a year at that point.

But you're saying that a vaccine is not only necessary for herd immunity at all but everyone has to be vaccinated to achieve it?

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you or if I've had a fundamental misunderstanding of the science of it from the get-go.

"Everyone" was the wrong wording. Science does state that in order for herd immunity to take effect, that you basically have to have about 90% buy in (Sweden has been talking herd immunity with no vaccine but it seems to really just be a theory right now, because it's very slow go over there (at least all the articles that I've currently seen on that, and things have not work out so well in Britain so I don't know if we hold these two up as working models.) Herd immunity naturally will be very difficult for this virus since we know that people can be reinfected with Covid-19 - just another case this week where a woman was symptom free for 4 weeks after having it and got it again.

Herd immunity as we know it - in the US at least - comes from vaccinations, as I believe it has to do with the US having a very large population. Difficult to reign in viruses with natural herd immunity when it can just keep going and going. Ultimately there will probably not be just one solution to this particular problem, but vaccinations (at least in this country, according to most health and science officials) will be needed.

During my medical rotations I once had a religious leader tell me that herd immunity is how children should be judged.

He said that he created a big family with full knowledge that some of his children will absolutely need to lay down their lives and that only the strong will survive to carry on their success forward as he did.

He said vaccines only serves to make the weak live past their necessary time on earth.

I said okeedokee and next day took my son to his vaccination appointment lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An ironic parallel between his religious belief and the scientific concept of natural selection there.

That?s a pet peeve of mine. Natural selection is a complex idea concerning adaptation to environmental selection pressures, that is often caricatured as either a progressive drive towards a ?superior? organism or somehow favouring ?the strongest?.

A spider will survive a forest fire that will kill a human. Bacteria thrive in hot sulfuric vents in darkness and high pressure.

Neither spiders nor bacteria are inherently better than humans. But I suppose I can?t expect much from that particular type of religious person.

Isn?t it crazy how sonic the hedgehog will probably be the best film of 2020. Cause hell.... that was the last movie I saw in the theaters. Before the dark times. Before COVID.

During my medical rotations I once had a religious leader tell me that herd immunity is how children should be judged.

He said that he created a big family with full knowledge that some of his children will absolutely need to lay down their lives and that only the strong will survive to carry on their success forward as he did.

He said vaccines only serves to make the weak live past their necessary time on earth.

I said okeedokee and next day took my son to his vaccination appointment lol

Well that is comforting. Glad he was not my father.

"Hey dad, tell me a story!"
"Well son, you're going to die because you are weak. Goodnight."

Isn?t it crazy how sonic the hedgehog will probably be the best film of 2020. Cause hell.... that was the last movie I saw in the theaters. Before the dark times. Before COVID.

Mine was...Birds of Prey. So long ago ...

Haha I was just thinking of this since Sonic was the last movie I watched too. I've gone back to rewatching old shows I liked. Currently doing a rewatch of BSG.

Isn?t it crazy how sonic the hedgehog will probably be the best film of 2020....

ironwez20
Super Freak
Q4ZesNj.png

Ysad4mc.gif

Back