Marvel Studios' The Eternals (November 6th, 2020)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marvel is in panic mode me thinks because as successful as the BW and Shang opening weekends were things are obviously not financially what they used to be for Marvel cinema.

But eventually they will get there so if Spiderman 3 and Thor 4 doesn’t do it for Marvel then BP2 probably will.

BW/Shang/Eternals = LULZ
Keep in mind Disney only makes so much from Spidey, they produce it and make what was it? 25%?

Marvel has 6 sequels incoming - DS2, Thor4, BP2, Marvel2, GOTG3 and Antman3. I am still confused as to how Kang is in an Antman movie lol.

F4, Cap4, Deadpool 3, Blade, X-Men all waiting in the wings. Might get dates for those Nov 12.

:rotfl

Wait was it TPM I thought TPM was the first ever big online trailer release with our 56.6 modems lol

I’m now trying to remember which trailer it was that I went to see before walking out of Meet Joe Black even starting lol
Yep TPM debuted in front of Meet Joe Black and A Bug's Life fall 1998 and like you most people were buying tickets and then walking out after the trailer, lol.

Entertainment Tonight also showed the full trailer so I just recorded it on VHS so that I could watch it endlessly without having to go the 56.6 two inch Quicktime window route, lol.

A buddy of mine called every theater to see who was playing the trailer, bought a ticket to Bug's Life only to find out the the projectionist was running behind so he just started the movie with no trailers. In a seething rage my friend then sat and watched the entirety of Bug's Life and no his name wasn't a-dev, lol.

Is anyone really planning to see this?
Nope.... :rotfl Probably not even when it hits D+ for free.

I tried to watch Black Widow, and stopped less than 5 minutes in. I will watch ShangChi though on D+. . Hopefully I don't have the same "Screw This" moment as I did when I tried to watch BW..:lol

I have to concur - I have zero interest in paying to see the Eternals specifically, if it turns up on a platform I am already paying for (or sharing someone else's account with) then I will spend an evening on it if the mood strikes me, but beyond that I have no interest in it.

I think for me the problem is a "why should I care" question - we have had scores of superhero origin movies and superhero movies where there is some nebulous world-ending threat that we know will be defeated, it is, the end, full stop, oh and here is a hook for this cool thing in the inevitable sequel.

Endgame/Infinity War was the culmination of this plot-type and it was more epic and personal than anything else Marvel can make on that level ever again, unless they do something really different (like the multiverse and crossovers - which is why Loki was received so well and why Spider-Man and Dr Strange are drawing such a buzz) the question really is why should anyone give a ****?

Honestly I am for one a little tired of each one of these cookie-cutter movies being peddled as the next "OMG EVENT OF THE YEAR, YOU CAN'T MISS THIS!!!!" thing from Marvel/Disney using their bottom of the barrel characters - just give people what they want, the new X-men, Fantastic Four - move into new genres like genuine superhero-horror like Blade, or try something really daring like Fox did with Logan - just shake up the polished forumla in a way that makes me give a **** for ****'s sake.
At the moment DC are being more daring and interesting and that is drawing them an audience despite the at-times spotty track record.

There - my old man shouts at cloud rant is over.

Nope.... :rotfl Probably not even when it hits D+ for free.

I tried to watch Black Widow, and stopped less than 5 minutes in. I will watch ShangChi though on D+. . Hopefully I don't have the same "Screw This" moment as I did when I tried to watch BW..:lol

Oh yeah, besides Black Widow, I also haven't seen Shang Chi. I'm 2 for 2.

Going 3 for 3 on Eternals.

Dr Strange 3 is the only one so far I want to see.

I scanned through BW and Shang. Neither was worthy of even scanning through it.

While I guess DS1 really did show multiverse traversal, NWH is the first dive into other Earths. Makes you wonder if the average movie go-er will be completely confused about wth is going on lol.

Is anyone really planning to see this?

No plan has been formulated, but I will see it in a theater at some point. :lol

I must say, I find this "it won't be as good as the Infinity Gauntlet storyline" as a reason to skip MCU movies rather baffling. This stuff isn't Shakespeare lol. I go see these because I find them entertaining. Some are more entertaining than others, but I've yet to come across one that I haven't enjoyed on some level. Maybe Eternals will be the first, but I'll make up my own mind.

Oh yeah, besides Black Widow, I also haven't seen Shang Chi. I'm 2 for 2.

Going 3 for 3 on Eternals.

Dr Strange 3 is the only one so far I want to see.
Exact same boat - Dr Strange and No Way Home are the only ones that are piquing my interest - Black Widow and Shang Chi just didn't draw me in enough to give a crap. F & TWS was a pretty large and forgettable disappointment, and the fan speculation surrounding Wandavision was in the end better than the show itself.
Loki was pretty damn awesome though

It was fun watching the dragons duking it on IMAX for Shang Chi and it had some good banter and action but even with all that it isn't anything that would prompt me to recommend it as a must-see by any means.

Thor4 is really a wild card. Ragnarok looked great, but too much goofball and Hulk won't be in this. Guardians should be in this about as much as Hulk was.

Yep TPM debuted in front of Meet Joe Black and A Bug's Life fall 1998 and like you most people were buying tickets and then walking out after the trailer, lol.

Entertainment Tonight also showed the full trailer so I just recorded it on VHS so that I could watch it endlessly without having to go the 56.6 two inch Quicktime window route, lol.

A buddy of mine called every theater to see who was playing the trailer, bought a ticket to Bug's Life only to find out the the projectionist was running behind so he just started the movie with no trailers. In a seething rage my friend then sat and watched the entirety of Bug's Life and no his name wasn't a-dev, lol.
:lol

**** TPM anyway. I want to know what movie the trailer for Meet Joe Black debuted with!
Ragnorak was peak mcu corniness. Hated that movie .
I loved it. One of my favourites.

I think for me the problem is a "why should I care" question - we have had scores of superhero origin movies and superhero movies where there is some nebulous world-ending threat that we know will be defeated, it is, the end, full stop, oh and here is a hook for this cool thing in the inevitable sequel.

I think the random goo eating Dairy Queens in GOTG2 was the best example of this. None of the earth's heroes even noticed or cared? Oh well, it was gone in 30 minutes anyway.....problem solved.

Last edited:
I have to concur - I have zero interest in paying to see the Eternals specifically, if it turns up on a platform I am already paying for (or sharing someone else's account with) then I will spend an evening on it if the mood strikes me, but beyond that I have no interest in it.

Endgame/Infinity War was the culmination of this plot-type and it was more epic and personal than anything else Marvel can make on that level ever again, unless they do something really different (like the multiverse and crossovers - which is why Loki was received so well and why Spider-Man and Dr Strange are drawing such a buzz) the question really is why should anyone give a ****?

Honestly I am for one a little tired of each one of these cookie-cutter movies being peddled as the next "OMG EVENT OF THE YEAR, YOU CAN'T MISS THIS!!!!" thing from Marvel/Disney using their bottom of the barrel characters - just give people what they want, the new X-men, Fantastic Four - move into new genres like genuine superhero-horror like Blade, or try something really daring like Fox did with Logan - just shake up the polished forumla in a way that makes me give a **** for ****'s sake.
At the moment DC are being more daring and interesting and that is drawing them an audience despite the at-times spotty track record.

There - my old man shouts at cloud rant is over.

I had this review pop up in my Twitter feed this morning. It sounds like this movie doesn't follow the standard MCU formula at all. Color me intrigued...

ETERNALS Reimagines the MCU For the Better - Nerdist

Guardians should be in this about as much as Hulk was.

Good!!! Because as long as Thor is a joke, let him be with the jokesters.

Thor's played out anyway. How long can you do the "man who would be King" thing? It's a bit like Bond (Craig) with the repetitive retirement storyline.... only Thor's line should be: "I'm getting too fat for this."

Wow it's sitting at 54 with a rotten rating and even Jye is taking shots at it without fear of recrimination from the mouse.

Hopefully this is a bit of wake up call for Feige and Disney. You can sprinkle some new characters in but don't load them up together especially after the lacklustre disney plus shows. Where Star Wars fatigue was a made up excuse, MCU fatigue is real. Perhaps they should be a bit bolder with those MCU shows and do something different, not tease something different and then run away from the idea before the end. Going forward I hope they concentrate more on the decent characters they have like the x-men, fantastic four, daredevil and the punisher.

I did finally see black widow (for free on disney plus) and it had some good ideas but the script needed so much work, how did anyone let slip through to production. The director had no idea how to do action (the character / dramatic stuff was good) and I feel pretty confident that they never read a black widow comic either and didn't have a clue what her power set was. There were about four or five times natasha should have outright been killed by events in the movie, she is not super she is a human. I liked the casting for her family and the opening scene was pretty good.

BW had similar problems to WW94, giving a director (and in this case probably Scarlett Johansson as well) too much freedom to do whatever they want but lacking the fundamentals of the genre / sand pit they are playing in. Feige needs to tighten his control before Chapek does.

Back