Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The trajectory the "DCU" or whatever the hell they've been calling it was downhill IMO, so I am actually excited to see what James Gunn does.

We'll find out if doing a full reboot was the way to go - but I'm willing to give him a shot and at least this gives them a clean slate. I don't think the outcome would've been any better if the Rock had his way and had some control over the future of the DC films.

I liked Cavill as Supes and Batfleck is the absolute best on screen Batman.

Eh, sucks to see him go again, but if they are going to reboot and course correct, do it all.

I love Peacemaker and hope Gunn has the right direction.

Just give me live action Challenge of the Superfriends and I will be happy.

6EjJDTV

THE FUTURE OBVIOUSLY IS IN WHAT THE AUDIANCE WANTS EITHER IN THE MOVIE OR FRANCHISE GOODS. DISNEY FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY. GO WOKE GO BROKE.

At this point Victor from this forum should be the only one allowed to write and then cast Marvel and DC movies in hollywood lol
And how exactly would that work? I think the majority of Hollywood types don't have attention spans long enough to get through one of VIctor's treatments lol. Heck, I used to try to soldier through his posts here but now I just skip them 9 times out of 10. No offense Vic, but life is too short! :lol

Pfft. Disney’s doing fine. They got Avatar money pouring in.

With Gal and Ben’s cameo’s cut, what seriously is the point of the Flash movie? It’s not even a good “last hurrah” for the DCEU, just a whimper.

Dude there is not a single one logical and data based reasons that can explain this favoritism on Reeves, he made a 3 hours long movie using reusing old themes and still had several tv shows greenlit to expand the storyline before the release in the same company that took 30 essential minutes off BVS.

Regular people don't understand multiple actors playing one character at the same time, not even Marvel is betting on this trope with the multiverse.

The Batman before his release was already claimed to be a success, because reasons unknown from warner executives just like Gunn's Suicide Squad or even WW84(the third one was greenlit until Jenkins proved that she suck really hard).

The thing with this New REMAKE, is that Gunn is starting with the Snyderverse, Cavill Fans(the witcher) and half of the dc fanbase against him from day one. The new actor to play Superman will have his life turned into a livin hell. He really thinks he is a genius, but he is only using the same ideia of the new dc animated universe, he thinks he is a genius but in the end he is plagiarizing an existing idea created by Chris Palmer.

Box Office: Why ‘The Batman’ Stands Out From Its Superhero Competition

Hollywood & Entertainment Box Office: Why ‘The Batman’ Stands Out From Its Superhero Competition

But we do have box office receipts, so we know that the $185 million-budgeted action drama has earned $365.5 million domestic and $752 million worldwide, making it easily the biggest-grossing film of the year and the fourth-biggest global earner of the last 2.5 years....Moreover, its $365 million domestic gross puts it as one of the biggest “part one” comic book superhero films ever, even when adjusted for inflation....The Batman is the tenth Batman movie in 33 years.

..... In that sense, it matters that The Batman, a blank-slate reboot with no real marquee stars (no Jack Nicholson as... The Joker!), no connective tissue to existing franchises (no Robert Downey Jr.’ Iron Man in a much-advertised cameo!) and no “movie we need right now” zeitgeist (no “You mess with him, you mess with New York!” moments) still managed to reach a domestic total on par with all but the biggest “first on the big-screen” part-one superhero flicks. It earned more in unadjusted and adjusted grosses than any reboot despite just being “another Batman movie.” None of the potential trouble spots (the length, the kid-unfriendly tone, the similarities to Batman Begins and Gotham) seemed to matter.

.... Nonetheless, The Batman is impressive in that it’s the tenth Batman movie, the fifth “new” Batman movie since 1989 that played like it was the first one ever.

The Batman (film) - Wikipedia

Box office

The Batman grossed $369.3 million in the United States and Canada, and $401.5 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $770.8 million.[5][6] It is the sixth-highest-grossing film of 2022,[5] as well as the highest-grossing serial killer film.[324] The film's IMAX performance helped raise its overall first quarter revenues ($60 million) by 55% and its global box office ($173.2 million) by 57% from the same period in 2021.[325][326]

....The film made $57 million on its first day in the US and Canada, which included $17.6 million from Thursday night previews and $4 million from Tuesday and Wednesday advanced screenings.[330][331] It grossed $134 million in its opening weekend, becoming the second pandemic-era film to gross over $100 million in the US and Canada in its opening weekend, after Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021).[320] It also became Warner Bros.' highest-grossing pandemic-era film domestically in just three days. More than 65% of the audience in the opening weekend was male, while more than 60% were in the age range of 18–34 years old.[320] The film grossed $66.5 million in its second weekend, dropping 50% and staying atop the box office.[332][333] The third weekend saw it gross $36.7 million, a fall of 45%,[334] while also making it the second film in the pandemic era to make more than $300 million in the US and Canada.[335] In the fourth weekend it was displaced to the second spot by The Lost City, earning $20.5 million for a drop of 44%.[336][337]....

In South Korea, The Batman opened to $1.7 million, the biggest opening in the country in 2022.[327] Through March 2, it had earned $5.3 million across eight countries. In France, it earned $2.1 million, the highest opening for 2022. Through March 4, it had made an estimated $54 million in 74 countries outside the US and Canada. In the United Kingdom it opened to $6.4 million, the second-highest opening in the country during the pandemic. It had the second-highest pandemic opening in Spain as well, earning $1.2 million.[338] It grossed around $124.2 million by the end of the week in 74 countries outside the US and Canada, and ranked first in 73 of them during the weekend. It earned $22.3 million globally in IMAX theatres, the second-highest opening weekend for the chain since December 2019.[339] This was also the highest opening for a movie outside the US and Canada in 2022, the highest for Warner in the pandemic era, as well as the third biggest overall during the pandemic.[340] In addition, it had the second-highest opening weekend of the pandemic era in sixteen countries including the UK ($18.1 million), Mexico ($12.1 million), Australia ($9.3 million), Brazil ($8.8 million), France ($8.4 million), Germany ($5.1 million), South Korea ($4.4 million), Italy ($4.1 million), Spain ($3.7 million), and India ($3.4 million).[320][338] It also earned the biggest opening weekend for Warner Bros. in 62 countries during the pandemic and its biggest-ever opening weekend in seven countries.[341]....

Multiple The Batman spinoff movies in development

Multiple The Batman spinoff movies in development

First and foremost, it seems Matt Reeves has some massive plans for expanding a universe based around The Batman. Beyond the upcoming Penguin series, Reeves is reportedly working on multiple movies based on the Rogues Gallery. While working on The Batman 2, he is also reportedly meeting with writers and directors for films based on characters such as Scarecrow, Clayface, and Professor Pyg.

I'll give you multiple reasons

1) Given we are in a full blown world wide pandemic, The Batman did extremely well at the box office, here domestically and around the world.

2) The Batman did well with some target demographics that more current superhero offerings are starting to drive away. ( Think Wonder Woman 1984, which is offensive on all kinds of levels ) Basically young men.

3) The critics liked it, for the most part, but we all recognize the high profile critics are paid for shills most of the time. However the general audience and fandom enjoyed it. More to point, no one seemed to outright hate it.

4) Robert Pattinson is 36 years old. Still young enough to stay in this universe for a while. He's got legacy fans from both Twilight and Harry Potter. He's got no wild crazy controversies anchoring him down like Ray Fisher, Patty Jenkins, Joss Whedon, Ben Affleck, Amber Heard and Ezra Miller.

5) Reeves is building a mini universe of his own, it remains to be seen if it works out, however he made the most of his opportunity with The Batman, and that's going to give him some cache to get a little freedom and rope. There's potential money on multiple fronts with Reeves. If it's not broke, and so much of the DCEU is a mess, then don't try to fix it.

As for Todd Phillips and Joker, it was nominated for 11 Academy Awards and won two Oscars, including a huge win for Joaquin Phoenix. That's the kind of prestige no one could predict and expect from this kind of IP. Also Joker could be arguably called a film more about the complexity around mental illness and mental health, than a pure "superhero/villain film" (I'm not getting into the politics of this subject, just stating what's plain as day) Given the pandemic and the way mental health is now at the forefront of concern in many areas of our modern society, these issues are extremely timely and salient to an extremely diverse range of people out there in the potential audience. I personally thought Joker was brilliant and with this kind of prestige, no one wants to mess with this kind of potential franchise. Moneyball, on multiple levels, is not really a movie about baseball, crazy as that sounds, it covered lots of issues about being an adult and processing through failure and your own pathology, which is why it got tons of critical buzz despite the core subject being one that doesn't really get much fanfare. Joker is not really a movie about the Joker, as much as Arthur Fleck is representative of something potentially dark lurking in everyone. I doubt you could find anyone on this forum who hasn't had a family member or friend or coworker or fellow student or relationship or whatnot that struggled with their mental health.

That Joker and Fleck are highly derivative of Taxi Driver isn't going to bother too many people.

If you are making money, appealing to the international market and winning big awards, no one wants to mess with that kind of gravy train.

For what? In the hopes that Ben Affleck might be sober enough to make an entire film without blowing it all up in some ugly way?

The preexisting DCEU had their chance. If Jenkins wanted a third Wonder Women, she should have knocked it out of the park with WW1984. That's on her. If the execs and suits wanted this current slate of Justice League to have more of a future, they shouldn't have given Whedon the steering wheel, that's on them. Is Gunn taking away something here? Or is he simply affirming self inflicted failures that happened before he walked through the front door?

A big mess.
Snyderverse making a huge comeback two months ago and now...it's over.
Cavill gone. Affleck likely. Gadot is done with WW. Amazing.
I don't like it but yeah these have all underperformed and doubt extending these actors in more movies wotuld have changed boxoffice trajectory any. I see the need to wipe the slate clean and start over. Will it make any difference? Who can say.
Don't know how Pattison Batman films can co-exist with new upcoming Batman film though.
If Gunn doesn't produce another reboot in ten years. On and on...

And how exactly would that work? I think the majority of Hollywood types don't have attention spans long enough to get through one of VIctor's treatments lol. Heck, I used to try to soldier through his posts here but now I just skip them 9 times out of 10. No offense Vic, but life is too short! :lol
hannibal.gif

You're on my list now. Just a bit bellow Dreamworks Clown Kang...

I listened to Grace's self congralatory pat on the back victory lap live stream and one thing which made me lol was her saying it was an opportunity now to cast a superman who was a contemporary (age wise) of Pattison. Last I checked Cavill was 39 and and Pattinson 36 which makes them pretty much contemporaries to me.

Eh. It's already confirmed it won't be an origin. As long as it's good and uses gotten a villain we haven't had done to death, like Brainiac, I'm fine.
And you believe anything they say at this point ??

Sure the majority of the film will probably set when he is a teenager/young adult but any money they won't start off a 10 year story without the Krypton origin......again !

I listened to Grace's self congralatory pat on the back victory lap live stream and one thing which made me lol was her saying it was an opportunity now to cast a superman who was a contemporary (age wise) of Pattison. Last I checked Cavill was 39 and and Pattinson 36 which makes them pretty much contemporaries to me.
Why put yourself through that ?

Is it too much to ask to get regular, consistently good Superman content?

Well personally I'm out. All I wanted was a couple of movies to finalise the Darkseid / Superman / Batman arc.

I mean doing that for the next 2-3 years or so, it would have given the following ;

* Fan support
* A fitting ending to the current team
* Made huge money
* Given them time to come up with a better longer term plan
* Find and cast quality replacement younger / cheaper actors
* Respected the current ones
* Made Gunn and WBD a likeable studio.

But no....

No way in hell I'll be giving WBD one cent of my money going forward.

Compared to the merch and stuff I bought for ZSJL I'll be saving a lot !

It's the minimum I can do. #votewithyourwallet

I’ve about reached that point, myself. I’ll probably still go watch The Flash movie in theaters if they release it because I want to see Keaton back as Batman. But DC’s firing of Cavill as well as reports that they’re cutting out Cavill and Gadot’s cameos in the upcoming movies, has killed a lot of my excitement for Aquaman 2 and Shazam 2. And as much as I’ve liked his work before all of this, this has soured me a bit on whatever James Gunn has planned.

Age is a lame excuse being used by WB Cavill was a perfect age for Superman.

Dumb WB.

And you believe anything they say at this point ??

Sure the majority of the film will probably set when he is a teenager/young adult but any money they won't start off a 10 year story without the Krypton origin......again !
Yeah, I do. They might do an All-Star Superman style short montage but that'll probably be it. They're clearly using The Batman as a template, and that thankfully didn't feel the need to rehash the Wayne murders again despite starring a young Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back