Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I think Cavill was a fantastic Superman and got unfairly screwed in this whole debacle, wiping the slate clean makes more sense than trying to piece something together by keeping some actors and ideas and discarding others.

I thought Snyder did a great job with casting, and had WB stuck to a plan instead of constantly meddling or trying to jump the gun, there would have been another 6-8 movies by now (Batman, Batman II, Superman II, Cyborg, Green Lantern, Justice League II, etc.). But that train derailed back in 2016 when WB brought Whedon on board. Now in 2022, almost 2023, there’s just way too much baggage—Affleck is 50, Miller is a mess, Momoa was never really the right fit for Aquaman (Lobo is perfect casting though). There’s also the issue of contracts. Why pay Gadot $20-$40M for Wonder Woman 3 when they can lock in a new, up and coming actress to a three-picture deal for a fraction of that? The Rock will be a one and done Black Adam, and this will be the Swan Song for Shazam. The remaining cleanup is just the Aquaman and Blue Beetle movies.

After that the messy work of firing people and weathering the initial fan backlash will be done.

Starting with a clean slate is ideal. I think folks tend to forget that Gunn is very much a comic book fan. Whereas folks like Snyder and Nolan wanted to break a lot of the conventions and go for either more “gritty” or “grounded” storytelling. I think if DC maps out a plan that establishes and develops each of the core heroes before forming the larger team; introduces characters or concepts that have never gotten the big screen treatment; and sets a tone that’s somewhat closer to the comics, they should have a good shot at building a cinematic universe that can go head to head with, if not exceed, the MCU. They can also use TV and other media to build out uniquely DC concepts like “families”—i.e. Batman Family, Superman Family, Flash Family, as well as the Color Lantern Corps, Titans, and so forth. Ultimately it will come down to Gunn’s overall vision and the team he puts in place. Once he starts announcing movies and introducing cast members, he’ll start winning back the fans.

I just hope they don’t try to retrofit into “The Batman” universe as I’ve seen some people suggest. The grounded approach might work well for one character but it won’t really work for most of the others.

I just want to know how they think flash is going to do.

You destroyed the affleck version
Keaton isn’t coming back
Ezra won’t be flash anymore
So what exactly issssss this movie supposed to be for? Like what was the point?

Gosh this is messy.

Mickey Mouse is rubbing his hands smiling at that turmoil. Getting ready to write that check

I’m ready for the new manly Superman…

96C59AD1-3DBA-4756-A7D8-BCD165C90B6A.jpeg

It’s not Gunn’s fault what all happened with Cavill. The entirety of the DCEU being mismanaged over many, many years is what led to all of this.

A hard reboot of the Justice League lineup is only fair and logical. Especially Superman and Batman; the two of the biggest pillars any DC universe has to be built on. It’s understandable why they’d want to start fresh.

But DC is massive and there’s plenty of room for multiverse projects way in the future after the new DCU is established, like how the MCU is now pulling from the multiverse. I think Cavill, Affleck, and Gadot will get at least one last proper sendoff in a multiverse project; an opportunity to properly showcase their characters like Garfield in NWH.

No offense to the sane Snyder fans (not talking about the hate filled rabid loyalists out there), but if the new direction is solid and the casting and movies are good, then none of the gnashing of teeth is really going to matter.

I think it’s best to try to go in with an open mind, just hoping the best for DC and its characters who have long deserved better than the drama and ups and downs the last decade has brought.

The thing is Gunn is already doing a bad job, in a few years Affleck and Cavill would be in the right age to play Kingdom Come versions of their characters, Gunn just needed to do a soft reboot and tell new stories using the same actors, but he prefers to start again with a year one Superman storyline.

He already made half of the dc fanbase, snyderfans and Cavillfans(the witcher) into his enemies, who else is left to buy tickets?

He choose the hard and impossible road, and he really thinks he can top MOS origin storyline with a "young jornalist Clark in his ealy years as Superman".

And this comes from a guy that loves GOTG and Suicide Squad\Peacemaker, i simple dont have high hopes that he can do a good job with the information he is giving us.

Forgive me if I said this already here, but I’m reminded now of Zack Snyder recently saying to Henry “I look forward to working with you in the future.” I won’t be surprised if Zack casts Henry in a lead role in a Rebel Moon sequel or TV series.

Forgive me if I said this already here, but I’m reminded now of Zack Snyder recently saying to Henry “I look forward to working with you in the future.” I won’t be surprised if Zack casts Henry in a lead role in a Rebel Moon sequel or TV series.

What if Henry pulls Snyder in to direct Warhammer 40k?

Great catch!

Technically both could still make a Man of Steel movie together but it would have to be about a union iron worker struggling to make ends meat.

The thing is Gunn is already doing a bad job, in a few years Affleck and Cavill would be in the right age to play Kingdom Come versions of their characters, Gunn just needed to do a soft reboot and tell new stories using the same actors, but he prefers to start again with a year one Superman storyline...

Maybe.

The hope is always for a show runner / head honcho to catch someone on the way up.

For example, Feige got Florence Pugh signed into the MCU before she really broke out. She was a darling of the critics for a while, but in terms of mainstream name brand appeal, Marvel managed to snag her on the way up.

X-Men sort of did the same with Jennifer Lawrence, who had the Hunger Games buzz around her, but she mailed in most of those performances.

Affleck is a lush. It's not a secret. There are lots of videos and photos where he's in pretty bad shape. You don't want to rely on someone like that for a big budget film.

Cavill looks the part, but no one is completely irreplaceable. I loved GOTG1, Peacemaker and thought Suicide Squad was passable. I want to give Gunn a real chance to see what he can do. If he tells a good story and focuses on being fair to his audience, I think the money and success part will work itself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back