Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brief and to the point - I knew you could do it if provided a little motivation! You’re on your way to reversing my stats. :lol
NO!

i-do-what-i-want-thor.gif

Just you wait. Once the GL film drops, I'll start hounding the DC boards as well. I am already preparing my "New Gods (2033): Why It Fails At Being A Space Opera (And Why That's The Cause For WWIII)" essay.

The trajectory the "DCU" or whatever the hell they've been calling it was downhill IMO, so I am actually excited to see what James Gunn does.

We'll find out if doing a full reboot was the way to go - but I'm willing to give him a shot and at least this gives them a clean slate. I don't think the outcome would've been any better if the Rock had his way and had some control over the future of the DC films.
Too much water under the bridge. They had their chance back when Snyder "returned" but didn't take it. As much as I liked the Cavill, Afleck, Gadot teamup I've now jumped on the reboot train too. It just seems like too much work to try and make this current smörgåsbord coherrent and overall interesting again. I'm also looking forward to Gunn dusting off some more obscure characters from the DC catalogue (like he did with Guardians for the MCU).

NO!

i-do-what-i-want-thor.gif

Just you wait. Once the GL film drops, I'll start hounding the DC boards as well. I am already preparing my "New Gods (2033): Why It Fails At Being A Space Opera (And Why That's The Cause For WWIII)" essay.
Sounds good! All kidding aside, you keep doing you. Even when you belabour a point in a repetitive and redundant manner ad nauseam ( :wink1: ), your posts are still interesting and informative. :duff

Of course I say this as someone with virtually no interest in GL and therefore unfazed by your essay threat. :lol

Look at Cyclone and Atom Smasher in BA.

WB presented 2 of the most useless superheroes ever with these 2.

Atom was given a Deadpool mask and made to act silly he is a caricature not a real character it’s really embarrassing to watch. Ant-Man has so much more depth than whatever it was WB wanted with that abomination of a character introduction.

Cyclone is smarter than the Atom guy that’s all that matters. Her powers are super boring.

Call Snyder untalented all you want he would’ve never introduced characters in his DC universe in the manner these 2 were handled.

Gunn has his work cut out for him but his so called edgy humor does nothing for me.

Last edited:
Look at Cyclone and Atom Smasher in BA.

WB presented to if the most useless superheroes ever with these 2.

Atom was given a Deadpool mask and made to act silly he is a caricature not a real character it’s really embarrassing to watch. Ant-Man has so much more depth than whatever it was WB wanted with that abomination of a character introduction.

Cyclone is smarter than the Atom guy that’s all that matters. Her powers are super boring.

Call Snyder untalented all you want he would’ve never introduced characters in his DC universe in the manner these 2 were handled.

Gunn has his work cut out for him but his so called edgy humor does nothing for me.
I just hope the direction there are going isn’t zany marvel humor. Can you imagine if they did the 60s Batman approach with Batman. I’d love to see the rage on that one. But if Pattinson isn’t a new Batman then why reboot Batman again? Why make the movie? So weird. So you’re trying to build a universe but you’re gonna have a bunch of off shoots aswell? Ok fine but label it as something different.

Also that little trailer they had at the beginning of the Batman showcasing the future of the dc universe seems useless as all hell now 😂

hannibal.gif

You're on my list now. Just a bit bellow Dreamworks Clown Kang...

In private, I knew you were a cannibal. It explains so much.

For those who don't know, I first met Victor at an action figure convention in Eastern Europe. He had a booth where he was giving away bags of free "beef jerky" to people who passed by and couldn't believe their luck.

"Its free?!?!"

And Victor would deadpan and say, "There is a lot of jerk in that jerky. I sometimes call them free range rude. You'll like the tint of it, it has a flava bean aftertaste."

The brand label said, "Strange Meat" on it. A couple of millennial girls around college age asked him where the brand name came from and how it started. Victor said, "Well, it's definitely not named after what you get when you spend too much time on Tinder"

So now everyone knows why I always close my posts with "Merry Xmas", even if I say something slightly controversial. Because it's rude to eat someone and turn them into strips in a dehydrator if they've wished you a Happy Holidays.

So if anyone of you run into Victor at SDCC and he starts sprinkling you with sea salt, you know what's up now.

Merry Xmas ( Translation: Don't eat me. I have to go buy new toys now and I'm very charming)

Is it too much to ask to get regular, consistently good Superman content?

I really liked Man Of Steel. I also enjoyed the Krypton TV show. I'm not even a hard core Superman fan and the Krypton show legitimately surprised me. The Brainiac on that show was terrifying/well done.

I wished there was a separate movie back then with Russell Crowe and Michael Shannon on Krypton. That part of the film was really well done and interesting.

I'm sort of glad that we didn't get a Man Of Steel Part 2, because Jesse Eisenberg showed up. But it was a huge mistake not to capitalize on the timeline around 2 years after MOS came out.

Many fans hold the stance that Snyder didn't really understand Superman, but there were lots of quiet moments in MOS where IMHO, the core elements of what Superman represents showed up. Even Zod was somewhat sympathetic from his perspective.

I'm going to take a leap and say the next Superman will be Idris Elba. And I'd be interested to see how that turned out.

Depends on the movie. Booster Gold? Plastic Man? Lobo? Those HAVE to be ridiculous or they missed the mark.
Hmmm true. But it needs to be good. Marvel has been getting very cringe lately and trying to actively make fun of its source material while also trying to honor it.

“My name is thor. But I’d look stupid with a helmet on but I carry around a big flying hammer”

Regular people don't understand multiple actors playing one character at the same time, not even Marvel is betting on this trope with the multiverse.

That is probably the biggest myth in Hollywood. The GA is much smarter than people give them credit for.

We have a TV Flash, and a movie Flash, we have a TV Superman and a movie Superman. We've had multiple Spider Men. The GA can grasp multiple actors playing the same character in different universes.

Sounds good! All kidding aside, you keep doing you. Even when you belabour a point in a repetitive and redundant manner ad nauseam ( :wink1: ), your posts are still interesting and informative. :duff
I'm not repetitive, I... I have a unique writing voice... It's stream of consciousness, plebs like yourself wouldn't understand. I'm a regular James Joyce I am!

Of course I say this as someone with virtually no interest in GL and therefore unfazed by your essay threat. :lol
I'll get you NEXT TIME!

fb7.gif

In private, I knew you were a cannibal. It explains so much.

For those who don't know, I first met Victor at an action figure convention in Eastern Europe. He had a booth where he was giving away bags of free "beef jerky" to people who passed by and couldn't believe their luck.

"Its free?!?!"

And Victor would deadpan and say, "There is a lot of jerk in that jerky. I sometimes call them free range rude. You'll like the tint of it, it has a flava bean aftertaste."

The brand label said, "Strange Meat" on it. A couple of millennial girls around college age asked him where the brand name came from and how it started. Victor said, "Well, it's definitely not named after what you get when you spend too much time on Tinder"

So now everyone knows why I always close my posts with "Merry Xmas", even if I say something slightly controversial. Because it's rude to eat someone and turn them into strips in a dehydrator if they've wished you a Happy Holidays.

So if anyone of you run into Victor at SDCC and he starts sprinkling you with sea salt, you know what's up now.

Merry Xmas ( Translation: Don't eat me. I have to go buy new toys now and I'm very charming)
Lies and slander.

I have rules for this sort of thing. A fellow collector?

never-never-ever-eat-an-eater-sully.gif

Sidenote, this was a disgusting movie and I wish I'd never spent the hours on it. Not for the gore or visuals, but for its point, whatever it was. Utterly deplorable.

And speaking of irredeemable psychos in this DC thread...

0efa902590c2ce945df917d2b5c74f9b.png

They better give me my GL film series and Blackest Night/Brightest Day adaptation. I don't think 3 are enough to really do the whole saga. Personally I'd obviously cut down the number of human Lanterns. I know everyone is someone's favourite, but you can't fit 8+ people from the same planet into it. If the rumors of Stewart as the POV rookie and Hal as the mentor are true, then they'd have to cut out a lot of them. Simon, Jessica, Jo and all the new ones are utterly useless so off they go (were they to adapt a Power Ring Jessica turning into a GL, it could work). If John is the new guy, Kyle is redundant (unless he's the new guy they bring in a decade later). Guy is always just there. He's a good character and everything, but he serves no function. If Hal is the mentor, even Alan could get erased, although I'd prefer it if they kept him in. Give the "dying Abin-Sur gives his ring to an Earthman" origin to Alan, and then have Alan pass the Ring to Hal.

This way it all works and beyond the main movies, you could do Hal and Alan prequels, showing Sinestro's fall. I'd actually keep Sinestro absent from the first few proper GL movies. In the first one I'd have Hal as the grey-templed mentor, showing John the ropes and going after someone like Mongul while uncovering the plot of the Guardians' Manhunters. Then Mongul wants revenge and sends someone to destroy Coast City, which gives way to an Emerald Twilight adaptation, with Hal turning into Parallax. In the background there'd be other Lanterns and the such. Then I'd have John and a destroyed GL Corps try to fend of Sinestro's Corps in the 3rd and tease the War of the Light. Then drop some spin-offs with Young Hal and Alan, showing Sinestro before he fell, and tackling some lower-level but still mythos enriching GL flicks. Maybe bring in someone like Kyle in the 3rd John flick, replacing Hal and forcing John to become the mentor now. The problem then is if you're gonna do Blackest Night/Brightest Day in 2-Parts. I'd probably do that, obviously bringing Hal back, maybe younger/in his prime, then finish it all with Volthoom as the end of the 2nd trilogy, and give everyone their happy ending. 6 main movies + 2 or so spin-off flicks is good enough I think.

It'll never happen though, so...

I'm not repetitive, I... I have a unique writing voice... It's stream of consciousness, plebs like yourself wouldn't understand. I'm a regular James Joyce I am!

I'll get you NEXT TIME!

fb7.gif

Lies and slander.

I have rules for this sort of thing. A fellow collector?

never-never-ever-eat-an-eater-sully.gif

Sidenote, this was a disgusting movie and I wish I'd never spent the hours on it. Not for the gore or visuals, but for its point, whatever it was. Utterly deplorable.

And speaking of irredeemable psychos in this DC thread...

0efa902590c2ce945df917d2b5c74f9b.png

They better give me my GL film series and Blackest Night/Brightest Day adaptation. I don't think 3 are enough to really do the whole saga. Personally I'd obviously cut down the number of human Lanterns. I know everyone is someone's favourite, but you can't fit 8+ people from the same planet into it. If the rumors of Stewart as the POV rookie and Hal as the mentor are true, then they'd have to cut out a lot of them. Simon, Jessica, Jo and all the new ones are utterly useless so off they go (were they to adapt a Power Ring Jessica turning into a GL, it could work). If John is the new guy, Kyle is redundant (unless he's the new guy they bring in a decade later). Guy is always just there. He's a good character and everything, but he serves no function. If Hal is the mentor, even Alan could get erased, although I'd prefer it if they kept him in. Give the "dying Abin-Sur gives his ring to an Earthman" origin to Alan, and then have Alan pass the Ring to Hal.

This way it all works and beyond the main movies, you could do Hal and Alan prequels, showing Sinestro's fall. I'd actually keep Sinestro absent from the first few proper GL movies. In the first one I'd have Hal as the grey-templed mentor, showing John the ropes and going after someone like Mongul while uncovering the plot of the Guardians' Manhunters. Then Mongul wants revenge and sends someone to destroy Coast City, which gives way to an Emerald Twilight adaptation, with Hal turning into Parallax. In the background there'd be other Lanterns and the such. Then I'd have John and a destroyed GL Corps try to fend of Sinestro's Corps in the 3rd and tease the War of the Light. Then drop some spin-offs with Young Hal and Alan, showing Sinestro before he fell, and tackling some lower-level but still mythos enriching GL flicks. Maybe bring in someone like Kyle in the 3rd John flick, replacing Hal and forcing John to become the mentor now. The problem then is if you're gonna do Blackest Night/Brightest Day in 2-Parts. I'd probably do that, obviously bringing Hal back, maybe younger/in his prime, then finish it all with Volthoom as the end of the 2nd trilogy, and give everyone their happy ending. 6 main movies + 2 or so spin-off flicks is good enough I think.

It'll never happen though, so...
I agree. With the bones and all bit. Such a dumb movie and I almost fell asleep . I don’t know wtf it was trying to be. Some sappy love story but with cannibals that have no backstory as to what they are? Just a very slow moving boring movie

I’m not in full-on conspiracy mode about this but it is striking to me that every time WB puts someone in charge with a connection to the MCU it’s a disaster. After WB execs freaked out over the critical reaction to BvS and it “only“ making 87% of 1B they promoted Geoff Johns to co-CEO (like Gunn is now). Johns is former college roommate and bff of Kevin Feige. When BvS was announced the Russos admitted that they made story changes to Civil War to compete with BvS. I can’t prove it but I suspect Johns shared info about the project with Feige.

Next they bring in Joss Whedon to overhaul JL and we all saw what a disaster that was.

Now James Gunn is in the Johns role. The guy actively works at the MCU under Kevin Feige. After all the effort that Mike DeLuca and Pam Abdy obviously went to in rebuilding the foundation of the Snyderverse cast, evidently with a plan to simply build out from where ZSJL leaves off, Gunn is tearing all that down. So apparently the pattern continues is my point. Whatever may be driving it we can only guess, but it seems consistent.

The one film that Gunn has made for the DCU lost the most money of any DCU film thus far. Apparently all Gunn can really do now is adolescent humor. He’s evidently keen to make Booster Gold, Lobo, and… maybe he was joking but he has said he loves Bat-mite. He’s on record as saying he regards the present day superhero genre as “really dumb and boring.” No one should be surprised if his rebooted DCU is going to be a total disaster.

Last edited:
I’m not in full-on conspiracy mode about this but it is striking to me that every time WB puts someone in charge with a connection to the MCU it’s a disaster. After WB execs freaked out over the critical reaction to BvS and it “only“ making 87% of 1B they promoted Geoff Johns to co-CEO (like Gunn is now)‘ Johns is former college roommate and bff of Kevin Feige. When BvS was announced the Russos admitted that they made story changes to Civil War to compete with BvS. I can’t prove it but I suspect Johns shared info about the project with Feige.

Next they bring in Joss Whedon to overhaul JL and we all saw what a disaster that was.

Now James Gunn is in the Johns role. The guy actively works at the MCU under Kevin Feige. After all the effort that Mike DeLuca and Pam Abdy obviously went to in rebuilding the foundation of the Snyderverse cast, evidently with a plan to simply build out from where ZSJL leaves off, Gunn is tearing all that down. So apparently the pattern continues is my point. Whatever may be driving it we can only guess, but it seems consistent.

The one film that Gunn has made for the DCU lost the most money of any DCU film thus far. Apparently all Gunn can really do now is adolescent humor. He’s evidently keen to make Booster Gold, Lobo, and… maybe he was joking but he has said he loves Bat-mite. He’s on record as saying he regards the present day superhero genre as “really dumb and boring.” No one should be surprised if his rebooted DCU is going to be a total disaster.
I’m also trying to figure it all out and if there’s smoke!

It’s all out there now with the DC battle for control between Rock’s production company and Gunn/Safrin.

BA might suck at an intellectual level but at least he was trying to get Cavill back.

I’m assuming that The Rock was working with Deluca in getting WB to keep the same ZSJL actors, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back