EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If what Doug Drexler has been saying on his Facebook is anything to go by (ok he’s working on that show now so there may be some bias) we should be in for something good - he’s been telling people to at least give the first episode of season 2 a chance.

Late 2020, I think. Creation's contract with Paramount/CBS was up, and Reedpop apparently made a better offer. It happens.
It's true that Creations 56 Year Mission isn't the licensed Convention but it still remains to be one of the best Trek Conventions. If you look at the celebrity guests that are coming to the Chicago Con they only have like 6. Creations 56 Year mission has about 25 already confirmed. It's still a Star Trek convention even tho they can't use the name. The Chicago Trek Con is Only 3 days and 56 year mission is 5 days.

2014: thinking someday I would come here as a vendor or exhibitor.

2018: went to talk about 1/6 Trek because they need someone to fill the auditorium.

2022: going to Chicago to show off our passion. I am not selling anything at Chicago.
IMG-20180803-WA0003.jpg

Congrats, I bet your looking forward to showing off your latest products there as much as we are looking forward to seeing them!

If what Doug Drexler has been saying on his Facebook is anything to go by (ok he’s working on that show now so there may be some bias) we should be in for something good - he’s been telling people to at least give the first episode of season 2 a chance.
I absolutely despise the idea that Picard is now an android/synth. So I’m biased to not watch it for that reason alone.

I absolutely despise the idea that Picard is now an android/synth. So I’m biased to not watch it for that reason alone.
And not only that, but the android/synth was intentionally dialed back so as to mimic the conditions of an 80 year old man! I actually LOL'd when I saw that.

I started writing out an extensive opinion piece on the show and how disappointing it was for me but I don't want to derail this thread.

2014: thinking someday I would come here as a vendor or exhibitor.

2018: went to talk about 1/6 Trek because they need someone to fill the auditorium.

2022: going to Chicago to show off our passion. I am not selling anything at Chicago.
View attachment 558108
Nanjin, but you are selling stuff - your infectious passion and I was sold a long way back. Keep up the fantastic work.

Agreed. Although I haven't watched any of the new trek (tried season one of Discovery and oh dear) full-stop due to the so called "creative" team behind the emotionally shallow - surface level drivel that its devolved into. So sad.

From what I've seen Nanjin will be putting in as much effort into the new trek figures so they'll be gorgeous, but not for me I'm afraid. As lovely as they'll be I can't support anything new trek.

Old man grumble out of the way, like and collect what you want folks.

And not only that, but the android/synth was intentionally dialed back so as to mimic the conditions of an 80 year old man! I actually LOL'd when I saw that.

I started writing out an extensive opinion piece on the show and how disappointing it was for me but I don't want to derail this thread.
I'd very much like to read your opinion piece - perhaps a new tread somewhere? If so, I'm in.

Sadly - and involving... wait for it... the Borg! Again! And again! And again! So this is the extent of the so called creatives vision. Does anyone remember the good old days when Trek was good?...

IMO it's still good, so the good old days aren't over yet.

I also don't mind seeing the Borg again and exploring more with them.

IMO it's still good, so the good old days aren't over yet.

I also don't mind seeing the Borg again and exploring more with them.
Fair enough - I like the Borg too, but not all of the time. There are plenty of other avenues that they could go down. Seems that this is the extent/limit of their story telling, as in what will the masses watch that doesn't have to involve them knowing any trek - ah yes the Borg and Picard. They did something similar too with Discovery, some sort of AI treat. The trek universe is such a rich tapestry, it's a damn shame.

Fair enough - I like the Borg too, but not all of the time. There are plenty of other avenues that they could go down. Seems that this is the extent/limit of their story telling, as in what will the masses watch that doesn't have to involve them knowing any trek - ah yes the Borg and Picard. They did something similar too with Discovery, some sort of AI treat. The trek universe is such a rich tapestry, it's a damn shame.

Well that's what the general public remembers and likes. Fans can only carry a franchise so far especially us older ones, we aren't going to be around much longer so they need to bring in a new audience.

I do think they are underestimating that audience though. General public can clearly handle heavier Sci Fi ideas and stories. Look at the success of Archive 81, The Expanse, The Arrival. It's clear the general public is smarter then the lowball Sci Fi they are currently giving. I thought Picard season 1 was going to explore the idea of what is sentience and what is slave labor. They laid the groundwork with all the Synths, and Holo's currently used in the Federation, how would a advanced sentient AI society like the planet V'ger found react to how we the Federation was using Synth's and Holo's, was the Federation hobbling their evolution by keeping them "dumb" so they could be exploited for labor. They could of even explore more on how the Borg hive mind works, is a drone sentient, how much control does the queen have. However they went a different direction.

All that said while I am entertained and keep watching the new Trek shows, I also don't feel a need to rewatch it like I do with the older Trek shows. I might feel different in a few years, once it's not so new to me.

Well that's what the general public remembers and likes. Fans can only carry a franchise so far especially us older ones, we aren't going to be around much longer so they need to bring in a new audience.

I do think they are underestimating that audience though. General public can clearly handle heavier Sci Fi ideas and stories. Look at the success of Archive 81, The Expanse, The Arrival. It's clear the general public is smarter then the lowball Sci Fi they are currently giving. I thought Picard season 1 was going to explore the idea of what is sentience and what is slave labor. They laid the groundwork with all the Synths, and Holo's currently used in the Federation, how would a advanced sentient AI society like the planet V'ger found react to how we the Federation was using Synth's and Holo's, was the Federation hobbling their evolution by keeping them "dumb" so they could be exploited for labor. They could of even explore more on how the Borg hive mind works, is a drone sentient, how much control does the queen have. However they went a different direction.

All that said while I am entertained and keep watching the new Trek shows, I also don't feel a need to rewatch it like I do with the older Trek shows. I might feel different in a few years, once it's not so new to me.
Nice, I totally agree with you where they could and should have gone as well as audiences being able to handle heavier themes - had so much potential. Alas Alex Kurtzman is in charge so we got predictably what we got.

I love being surprised and having a think about various subjects bigger then myself and our future as a species, especially seeing explored in the future tense with us being a dangerous savage child race and how and if we have evolved and grown. Its nice when a heady subject gets proper time (and budget sometimes) to be depicted and explored in film/tv. Count me in every time, however like everyone I have my guilty pleasures for mindless fun - but trek shouldn't be it...

If something's good or interesting it tends to stick with me after having watched it, and sometimes long after. Currently its easily forgettable as soon as it ends, I even have to ask myself "what happened last time on..." :(

What can ya do ay.

Eh, Picard being resurrected inside a new synth body doesn't seem any more ridiculous to me than Spock being brought back to life in TSFS. And it doesn't seem too farfetched given the near magical technology of the 24th century. I do think it would have worked better coming at the end of a much better written season though, instead of the lackluster one we got. .

Back