Batgirl The Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that doesn't happen because part of the current push for diversity is based on a response to power structures, i.e. it's not a simple question of tit-for-tat race-switching, but meant to redress an imbalance.

This concept of imbalance isn't simply because "the majority of the USA was white for x number of years" or whatever -- as I understand it (could be wrong) the issue is not merely with the majority culture (whatever that may be) for the sake of it, but more specifically a legacy of inequity due to colonial history, exploitation, in some cases slavery, etc. which is very widely believed to be still be felt due to what I would describe as systemic inertia, rather than a cabal of cigar smoking old white men in towers, which the hysterical Twitter Mob would have you believe. Now you may accept this idea of systemic inequity or not, I'm not trying to convince anyone as this is a toy forum. ;)

How such a legacy may have come to be is a fascinating read starting with Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies which may not be the final word on the topic but remains an excellent, cross-discplinary starting point filled with science and history.

(Many of you on this board have either inferred or come out and said that I'm a 'liberal' in a more or less gently pejorative sense that I hear many Americans use. Given my wide circle of acquaintances runs the gamut from radical leftists to Randian libertarians and republicans, I can assure you that's far too broad and simple of a brush to describe my socio-political leanings which are policy-driven rather than party-driven.)

I think that thanks to the Internet, the lowest common denominators in society are creating an artificial binary that serves to divide and distract us all, and this is what's driving the over-correction by insincere, money-hungry corporations with no vested interests beyond their coffers, and I've noticed (ha ha) that fandom tends to be reactive about this.

That being said, it makes perfect sense to me that there are entire segments of society that want to see themselves represented in mainstream media, which has ignored or sidelined them for many, many years and I think it's important, because the world is not what mainstream, big budget entertainment has shown us for a very long time.

I actually don't care if Mary Jane isn't a redhead. I love redheads and I've had the pleasure of having my life ruined by more than one. But it's not that important to me, your mileage may vary but I see a lot of these old stories as Shakespearean and open to interpretation, as I've said elsewhere.

But I also agree that taking an established and historically white intellectual property and slapping a person of colour on it or pandering to the LGBTQ+ demographic without regard to a meaningful narrative, is lazy and opportunistic.

It's not the end of the world, but it's also a missed opportunity to create something new and vibrant, which is an opportunity in general that corporations miss 50 times a day due to being conservative, predictable and boring.

Anyway, that's why they don't slap white males on stuff.
Stop it man, you're making too much sense! :tap

I ….. I don’t understand what these idiots want. Do they want to erase the Snyder verse do they want to start a new verse or are they just ******* around now. It’s very confusing

I ….. I don’t understand what these idiots want. Do they want to erase the Snyder verse do they want to start a new verse or are they just ******* around now. It’s very confusing
So technically there will be at least 3 different Batman next year, at least 2 Flash, and yet they told the guy who plays Constantine to not play Constantine on CW because they are doing a JL Dark HBO NOW series. Stupid.

So technically there will be at least 3 different Batman next year, at least 2 Flash, and yet they told the guy who plays Constantine to not play Constantine on CW because they are doing a JL Dark HBO NOW series. Stupid.
They are doing some heavy experimental crack over at WB . Even Sony isn’t dumb enough to release three different versions of Spider-Man in a different universe and not say it’s not a multiverse thing. They are going to make the public sick of Batman . Unless of course Pattinson Batman is a multiverse Batman to.

Really odd takes considering most comic book characters started out as white, because other races weren't considered worthy.

But again, these same people are the ones who don't want kids to be taught that Ku Klux Klan was bad, so I can understand the position, as morally bankrupt as it may be.
Ooo... now that's some old school raging SJW superiority-sarcasm there, bruva. So 2016 meme-worthy. :lol

Oh wow. Looks like Michael Keaton is returning to play Batman.

They are doing some heavy experimental crack over at WB . Even Sony isn’t dumb enough to release three different versions of Spider-Man in a different universe and not say it’s not a multiverse thing. They are going to make the public sick of Batman . Unless of course Pattinson Batman is a multiverse Batman to.
I mean, Affleck is 100 percent being written out in Flash, so it's more like 2 Batmen. Dude straight up said in a recent interview he's not interested in IP movies anymore, so I am guessing his role in Flash is going to be a sendoff.

Pretty much confirmed by the Batgirl actress herself then. I wonder does that mean her Batgirl exists in the Tim Burton universe or does it mean Keaton's Batman gets pulled out of his own universe (and into the DCEU-verse) in the Flash movie....probably the latter if anything...

Keaton bringing in the paychecks. Dude is on fire. Birdman was the second coming of The Keaton.

Pretty much confirmed by the Batgirl actress herself then. I wonder does that mean her Batgirl exists in the Tim Burton universe or does it mean Keaton's Batman gets pulled out of his own universe (and into the DCEU-verse) in the Flash movie....probably the latter if anything...
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batm...t-for-hbo-max-batgirl-movie-a190477#gs.jkugfe
Remember JK Simmons is still Gordon so this would be current DCEU universe and not Keaton's. Peace out Affleck.

Well, DCeu knows Keaton is still cool and can't really ruin Batman by returning as Old Keaton in the way Ford can ruin Indy, so DCeu has decided to help ruin Keaton by plopping him into their crap universe, thus ruining the as-of-yet unspoiled Burton Batman.

DCeu is expert at ruinization.

Well, DCeu knows Keaton is still cool and can't really ruin Batman by returning as Old Keaton in the way Ford can ruin Indy, so DCeu has decided to help ruin Keaton by plopping him into their crap universe, thus ruining the as-of-yet unspoiled Burton Batman.

DCeu is expert at ruinization.
Besides The Batman, I cannot really think of another property I am totally excited about.

Black Adam eh
The Flash with 2 Ezras? Not sure if Keaton/Affleck can offset that
Aquaman no
WW3 no
Batgirl no
Shazam 2 no
Green Lantern Corp maybe
JL Dark maybe
Blue Beetle LOLOLOL

Funny you should say that.....

I still love the 1989 Batman, flaws and all. It's really not a "great" movie but I can't help but view it through my nostalgia lenses and I can rewatch it anytime.

Not so much with Batman Returns. It was a huge letdown for me when it came out....I wanted more Batman but all I got was 1000% more Burton weirdness. Other than an appreciation for the art deco Batsuit, I don't have a lot of nostalgia for it.

Since it's Christmas-time, I decided to watch it again for the first time in maybe ten years or so.

I had to turn it off after about 45 minutes. It sucked. Sucked sucked sucked. Just an awful excuse for a movie. Walken's character was boring as hell and he's in almost every scene, Penguin is repulsive and annoying and talks like Adam Sandler, Pfieffer's Selina Kyle is cringey and her vamping it up as Catwoman is Adam West Batman level bad.

I think I was right as a kid. Batman is awesome, Batman Returns sucks.

Birdman's not great either. But seeing Keaton as Batman again is gonna be amazing. I hope it's half as good as seeing everyone in Spider-Man.

Funny you should say that.....

I still love the 1989 Batman, flaws and all. It's really not a "great" movie but I can't help but view it through my nostalgia lenses and I can rewatch it anytime.

Not so much with Batman Returns. It was a huge letdown for me when it came out....I wanted more Batman but all I got was 1000% more Burton weirdness. Other than an appreciation for the art deco Batsuit, I don't have a lot of nostalgia for it.

Since it's Christmas-time, I decided to watch it again for the first time in maybe ten years or so.

I had to turn it off after about 45 minutes. It sucked. Sucked sucked sucked. Just an awful excuse for a movie. Walken's character was boring as hell and he's in almost every scene, Penguin is repulsive and annoying and talks like Adam Sandler, Pfieffer's Selina Kyle is cringey and her vamping it up as Catwoman is Adam West Batman level bad.

I think I was right as a kid. Batman is awesome, Batman Returns sucks.

Birdman's not great either. But seeing Keaton as Batman again is gonna be amazing. I hope it's half as good as seeing everyone in Spider-Man.

Sadly I can't dispute this. Burton's Bat-world always looked great, but the stories he assembled were jagged, ill-fitting and sketchy. They are 'of their time' and from a 'dark-is-cute' mind.

Returns is such a slog to get through to get to the good stuff though. Max Shreck and his son Chip? Selina Kyle calling herself a "corndog?"

Ugh.

Back