Kraven the Hunter

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matticus

Super Freak
Reaction score
Aaron Taylor-Johnson has nabbed the lead role as Kraven the Hunter in Sony?s Marvel film, the studio announced on Wednesday. “Kraven the Hunter” will be released on Jan. 13, 2023.

The studio also locked in the actor for multiple pictures as the iconic ?Spider-Man? villain. J.C. Chandor is directing ?Kraven the Hunter.? The project is being billed as the next chapter of Sony?s universe of Marvel-licensed characters. Art Marcum & Matt Holloway and Richard Wenk wrote the screenplay, while Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing.

https://www.thewrap.com/aaron-taylor-johnson-kraven-the-hunter-sony-spider-man-villain-movie/

Avi arad and Matt tolmach producing. The guys who ruin Spider-Man properties and churn out crap after crap. Also kraven the hunter as a main protagonist? Really? Probably the most plain villain who?s greatest story was his death .

I have vague memories of a comic I read way back... there was some odd prehistoric world with some weird alien monster that was Kraven's pet...

Good luck on this "Venom-verse" or whatever they are doing. Venom meh, Moebius will be meh, and to take an MCU actor is rather interesting. Are trying to make it look like they are in the MCU? Cause you just cast QS, yet you have Keaton. Probably just trying to associate themselves with the MCU to get people interested.

Amazing how someone like Avi Arad can continually ruin movies and stay in the business.

Seriously? A Kraven movie now?? Sony is dumber than WB/DC with trying to figure out what to do with the properties they have. Who the hell cares about Kraven? He's barely interesting as a Spider-Man villain, let alone carry his own movie.

At least Venom has a big fan base and Morbius has the Vampire crowd..

:cuckoo:

Actually, Kraven sounds more interesting than the usual mad-scientist/tragic anti-hero type of villain Spider-Man usually faces...

Yeah, but there's no Spider-Man. So, who's Kraven The Hunter gonna hunt?

This. What those idiots don?t understand is that the villains work because of Spider-Man. These aren?t some characters that had a successful comic run and cartoon franchise by themselves. They are closely tied to Spider-Man and his mythos. Venom can get away with it sure but that?s basically it.

None of these characters work 100 percent without Spider-Man tied to the lore. I?m baffled Sony let Avi arad keep touching these properties after he ****ed up sm3 and ruined the amazing Spider-Man franchise. Atleast WB got rid of zach Snyder. Sony for whatever reason keeps that hack around and is the reason they failed so bad they put Spider-Man into the mcu .

F?ing Sony - gonna ruin another character that likely would have been great in the mcu. He?ll probably end up hunting Venom.

Yeah, but there's no Spider-Man. So, who's Kraven The Hunter gonna hunt?

Look, I'm not saying this is going to be great, but as far as villains go, this one at least has a backstory that can make for a decent movie... He's a hunter, he goes after exotic and otherworldly stuff, he's been to some type of "lost world" full of dinosaurs... Spider-Man is that one last prey he wants to hunt. I find the idea of establishing these villains (Venom, Morbius, Kraven) before having them come face to face with the hero quite interesting and refreshing. Now, I have no idea whether they will ever cross paths with Tom Holland's Spider-Man, but it's an intriguing concept at the very least.

This. What those idiots don?t understand is that the villains work because of Spider-Man. These aren?t some characters that had a successful comic run and cartoon franchise by themselves. They are closely tied to Spider-Man and his mythos. Venom can get away with it sure but that?s basically it.

None of these characters work 100 percent without Spider-Man tied to the lore. I?m baffled Sony let Avi arad keep touching these properties after he ****ed up sm3 and ruined the amazing Spider-Man franchise. Atleast WB got rid of zach Snyder. Sony for whatever reason keeps that hack around and is the reason they failed so bad they put Spider-Man into the mcu .

I dissagree. I think that tons of characters have at least one movie in them, but they're stuck playing the same exact roles for decades for no reason other than the fact that in comics the Status Quo is God. You don't need to make a superhero movie with all of them, all you need to do is construct an interesting narrative with a catchy aesthetic. In every rogues gallery there's at least a bunch of characters who could carry their own series or movies. They'll never be a franchise themselves, but they have enough material to work with to provide something. When it comes down to it, every Spider-Man movie will be ultimately the same. He has even less flexibility than Batman, Iron Man or Superman. He's a Cape, period. Whereas you could play Batman as a Noir or as a Gothic Horror, or Iron Man and Superman as purely Sci-Fi properties with no regards for typical superheroics, Spider-Man can only work as a Cape and nothing more. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that, but you get my point. Out of the 10 Spider-Man films you could make, they'd all more or less follow the same beats and stories.

Taking it back to Kraven, you can do a thoroughly entertaining movie that is not a capeflick but rather a fun adventure story. Kraven's a rich aristocrat, he finds some legendary beast hidden in some far off place, so he gears up and goes to hunt it. It's a simple premise and can translate to either a one-off or multiple episodes or issues in a hypothetical show or comic series. Venom got turned into a succesfull IP of his own and he had even less of an established lore. Kraven is basically Human Predator. Someone could very easily take this concept and create a whole new IP. Pulps and James Bond were built on "cool guy has serialized adventures" concepts like this. One day he's fighting a long-thought extinct animal, then he's hunting minor gods from pantheons who've been stuck here, and so on. You can take it into any direction you want, seeing as it's a comic.

Now, if you told me that they were making a solo film about the Vermin, I'd agree. But this mentality that you can always write cape stories about characters who've originated in capes, no matter the genre or their themes, was always strange to me. I can easily imagine stories about Vandal Savage or Ra's Al Ghul. I'd argue that Doom himself has more meat than the FF themselves.

At the end of the day, I'm actually quite looking forward to this, depending on where they take it. If it's as simple as Kraven going to the Savage Land to fight dinosaurs like Turok I'll be there. And AT-J is damn good. Watch Outlaw King to see him as a crazed beast.

tumblr_pkem06c8rI1rae9ioo6_250.gifv

His scenes in Tenet were more memorable than half the rest of the film.

Eu4ED5cXcAM3Gzo.jpg

I can definitely see this turning out enjoyable. Venom and Morbius look like cheap 00s capeflicks and they're fine for what they are, but this could be fun if they take the concept to the max.

Doubt it. Sony is to stupid to do an adventure film with kraven. This will be a run of the mill boring movie where he is probably hunting some mob boss or bad guy. Sony lacks any and all creativity especially when it comes to Spider-Man.

Doubt it. Sony is to stupid to do an adventure film with kraven. This will be a run of the mill boring movie where he is probably hunting some mob boss or bad guy. Sony lacks any and all creativity especially when it comes to Spider-Man.
Well yeah, that's a fair point. Sony is run by a bunch of morons. The Sony Emails proved that. My point is that a Kraven movie could theoretically be good.

Gerard Butler is a better Kraven than this guy.
He's too old at this point. And I think Johnson can pull it off. He was very intense in both Outlaw King and Nocturnal Animals.

Well yeah, that's a fair point. Sony is run by a bunch of morons. The Sony Emails proved that. My point is that a Kraven movie could theoretically be good.

He's too old at this point. And I think Johnson can pull it off. He was very intense in both Outlaw King and Nocturnal Animals.

There is stunt doubles that can do the work. Butler over this guy any day.

What's the point of getting Butler if you get a stunt double then? It's not like he's some exceptional actor or a Kraven movie would require anything tough. I like Butler but he's too old. Might as well give Statham a wig and call it a day. Like I said, Johnson's been good and commanding in all the recent movies I've seen him in, so he's a pretty good choice in my book. The last Butler movie I watched was that romcom where he leaves his wife messages/gifts after he dies, and Gods Of Egypt, so, yeah...

Gerard Butler is a better Kraven than this guy.

I like Butler but while he's still somewhat bankable as a lead he's definitely a poor man's Liam Neeson at this stage of his career (OK, a slightly younger Liam Neeson). He's definitely slowing down. I just watched his latest movie Greenland in which he's married to Morena Baccarin's character and they have a small boy. Even though he's only @10 years older than MB it looked more like 20-25. It would have been more believable if the kid was his grandson. I digress, but my point is that Hollywood casting is definitely skewing to the younger side for these types of projects. Unless Tom Cruise is interested in the role...which in this case I'm sure he's not. :lol

I always felt that Kraven is a older, experienced villain. He is big like Butler, but ATJ can bulk up. Supposedly, Sony went after Pitt, Reeves and Driver.

Back