The Flash - July 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The grooming allegation this is most troublesome to me, but let's be honest, his actions are an easy scapegoat for people that are put off by the entire pronoun they/them thing. I am not accusing anyone here, but it's silly to deny that in a world where people are boycotting a black Little Mermaid that they wouldn't in turn be pissed about this as well.

I have gone back and forth on this and I have decided that his actions are troubling, sure, but I'm just not going to start pulling back the curtain on every actor/producer/best boy/craft service worker to see if I am offended by their actions or not.

It looks good so I will see it.
I have to admit I was thrown the first time I came across the use of that in print. It was an article about something Ezra related and the first time the author referred to him as they I shrugged it off as an error - i.e., I assumed his first draft mentioned another person as well but then edited him/her out but missed changing the pronoun from the plural to singular. Of course when he continued to use they when referring to Miller throughout the rest of the article I concluded that he wasn't very bright and wondered how his editor still had a job. Silly me lol. Knowing better now I'm perfectly fine with non-binary types wishing to be referred to in that way, but I also wish them good luck in trying to change a convention that's literally been around for as long as languages have existed.

But enough of that. I'm still looking forward to seeing the movie. And there are two Flashes in it, so using they should come easily to us. :chase

I have to admit I was thrown the first time I came across the use of that in print. It was an article about something Ezra related and the first time the author referred to him as they I shrugged it off as an error - i.e., I assumed his first draft mentioned another person as well but then edited him/her out but missed changing the pronoun from the plural to singular. Of course when he continued to use they when referring to Miller throughout the rest of the article I concluded that he wasn't very bright and wondered how his editor still had a job. Silly me lol. Knowing better now I'm perfectly fine with non-binary types wishing to be referred to in that way, but I also wish them good luck in trying to change a convention that's literally been around for as long as languages have existed.

But enough of that. I'm still looking forward to seeing the movie. And there are two Flashes in it, so using they should come easily to us. :chase
Same. It's a headwreck. It won't take. I'd sooner refer to Ezra with she/her - a great deal less confusing, sounds like it could be a girl's name anyway.

Knowing better now I'm perfectly fine with non-binary types wishing to be referred to in that way, but I also wish them good luck in trying to change a convention that's literally been around for as long as languages have existed.

It's a bit like J.K. Rowling detractors. Unless they've stopped using the term "woman" themselves they have to admit she has a point.

/politics

So Ezra is "they"?
Yup. Don't ask me why. Seems it would be so much easier for him (or anyone who identifies as non-binary) to say, "Hey I don't want to be referred to as either he or she, so just use my first name instead of any gender specific pronoun, OK?" A much less contentious (& more sympathetic) approach than expecting everyone else to be grammatically incorrect.

I will never refer to a single human being as a "they." As a former English teacher, it goes against everything I've ever held dear in life.

Except for this dude from Total Recall.

This guy is a legitimate "they."

kuato.jpg

I will never refer to a single human being as a "they." As a former English teacher, it goes against everything I've ever held dear in life.

Except for this dude from Total Recall.

This guy is a legitimate "they."

View attachment 643427
"There's someone at the door who wants to speak to you"

"What do they want?"

"What does 'HE' want!"

"I didn't know it was a guy, I haven't seen him yet!"

"There's someone at the door who wants to speak to you"

"What do they want?"

"What does 'HE' want!"

"I didn't know it was a guy, I haven't seen him yet!"
Pointing out the one kind of circumstance in which it can be acknowledged to make sense doesn't change the reality of it creating confusion with far more frequency.

If I'm reading an article about a they/them person (Ezra) and there are other subjects in that article (his alleged victims, plural) it's quite laborious to decipher who is being referred to at any given time. There is quite simply an undeniable linguistic and comprehension problem with they/them regardless of any other considerations.

Last edited:
Pointing out the one kind of circumstance in which it can be acknowledged to make sense doesn't change the reality of it creating confusion with far more frequency.

If I'm reading an article about a they/them person (Ezra) and there are other subjects in that article (his alleged victims, plural) it's quite laborious to decipher who is being referred to at any given time. There is quite simply an undeniable linguistic and comprehension problem with they/them regardless of any other considerations.
It was aimed at Oto when he said that he would never refer to an individual as 'They', when there are circumstances when it's grammatically correct.

I wasn't saying your point wasn't valid, I was confused at the time when Miller assaulted a couple and an article said "They assaulted them" and I thought, 'Who assaulted who?'

It's a shame that the "Modern" Batman that's getting the huge media push in all the merchandising is the least interesting of the whole bunch.

They want us to like that one best, but it's simply not a good design. It's just incredibly bland. Looks like every generic "super hero movie" costume of the last quarter century. Just a Fox X-Men costume with a bat-symbol and cape and cowl.

89 and Returns suits were and are still iconic. There had never been anything like them on screen before. They set the standard that every other comic book movie has aped. This new one just isn't even close to that league. It's as forgettable as the one guy in Suicide Squad that got killed. Which one? Exactly.

I haven't even seen the movie yet and I'm already "over" this suit.

Back