The Flash - July 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even were I thinking only of my child, I'd take the chance on saving his peers rather than expecting him to process the guilt and PTSD of knowing he could have saved them but chose not to, for fear of what might have happened to him.

In a world of moral gray areas, I still think saving a school bus full of kids is kind of a no-brainer.
A valid point. That would be his father's burden. I would say he's more likely to blame him than himself.
It is a legitimate fear though. Again with his "maybe", he's pointing out to Clark to be careful. He would probably still do things anyway, kids do. He would most likely be very selective because of the talk.

Even were I thinking only of my child, I'd take the chance on saving his peers rather than expecting him to process the guilt and PTSD of knowing he could have saved them but chose not to, for fear of what might have happened to him.

In a world of moral gray areas, I still think saving a school bus full of kids is kind of a no-brainer.
Survivors guilt is bad enough, imagine what being able to save them would do.

A valid point. That would be his father's burden. I would say he's more likely to blame him than himself.
In the fictional situation, Clark may be an alien but he's not stupid. He would blame himself like most people would for failing to act.

If not I actually think we'd then be closer to Evil Superman.
It is a legitimate fear though. Again with his "maybe", he's pointing out to Clark to be careful. He would probably still do things anyway, kids do. He would most likely be very selective because of the talk.
Nothing wrong with a cautionary talk, but where it veers off into unlikely territory is the idea that maybe letting kids die is preferable to the possible consequences of acting, likewise Pa Kent choosing to traumatize his family with Suicide by Tornado.

I also think the line "All those powers and I couldn't even save him" is more important to his overall character than "I let my father die because I trusted him"

Who knows how The Flash will turn out but I don't think that anyone who enjoyed NWH when it came out will suddenly do an about face in a few years and laugh at it.

Sadly or not, you and I are likely to still be here in 10 years so we shall be able to see.

I do think people laugh at Superman Returns... and I remember Jye saying he cried at the time.

How do you know he could easily and safely saved him? We don't know how much control he has at that moment. He trusted his father and his father decided he wasn't ready.

The movie shows him really struggling with it all at 35 years old. How's a 13 year supposed to deal with it? My 14-year-old struggles as it is. I'm not adding exposing him as an alien to that.
It's FICTION. The writer could of wrote a more plausible scenario that painted the whole thing in a better light.

Never mind the fact that Supes is invulnerable (wouldn't die or be hurt and can use his body as a shield to protect the dog) and had superspeed (no one would see him).

In your specific example of him being 13 and the school bus. He apparently handled it just fine cause he saved the kids. Supes isn't the issue, it's his Dad who acted like he would of rather he let the kids drown. Jonathan Kent has always been portrayed as the person who inspired Clark to be a good person and make the right choices, Martha too, but these scenes concern John. In MoS we see the man who inspired Clark to become Superman actually considering letting a bus full of school kids drown over Clark helping them. That's a complete failure to understand the character. No good person would EVER consider letting a school bus of kids drown knowing they could have helped save them.

Maybe...

This is the issue. His Father doesn't want to let the kids die. He doesn't want Clark to face his future too early. He doesn't have an answer because there isn't one that protects both. I'd want my kids to do the right thing but I don't want them to get hurt. It's a difficult question for a reason.

One could end up with the kids saved and a rampant 14-year-old super alien creating a knighmare world where he reigns over everything like a vengeful god.
That would be a different movie called Brightburn. Which MoS could of been if that version of John Kent kept going the way he was.

Sadly or not, you and I are likely to still be here in 10 years so we shall be able to see.

I do think people laugh at Superman Returns... and I remember Jye saying he cried at the time.
I forgot which genre movie it was that I cried but it definitely wasn’t SR!

I think it was Suicide Squad lol

I forgot which genre movie it was that I cried but it definitely wasn’t SR!

I think it was Suicide Squad lol

Nope, you said you cried -- maybe teared up -- when you heard the Williams score and saw Superhunk. I do remember. That, and at the TFA trailer "We're back"... another one people laugh at in hindsight.

Yeah, historically Batman has killed, so I wasn't shocked. Even when he crushed someone's head with a crate (I think that's what happened). The warehouse set-piece is actually a lot of fun, I'll give it that.

Love that scene. The combat was straight from the arkham games.

So you'd be fine with letting a school bus full of 13-year old kids drown to death to avoid government scrutiny? Serious question.

I never took it as Pa Kent being literal about letting the kids drown. I think he was more so stressing the importance of Clark keeping his powers a secret, regardless of the circumstances. He knew If the government found his son then he’d probably be as good as dead.

Back