The Flash - July 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also think the line "All those powers and I couldn't even save him" is more important to his overall character than "I let my father die because I trusted him"

To some extent I agree, but the time travel element completely negates all of that. Superman was literally god in the Donner films. :lol

I never took it as Pa Kent being literal about letting the kids drown. I think he was more so stressing the importance of Clark keeping his powers a secret, regardless of the circumstances.
Fair enough, but to me it seems cut and dry if he's saying "Don't take risks even if others die" ... I haven't seen it in ages so maybe I should re-watch and see how it hits.
He knew If the government found his son then he’d probably be as good as dead.
Maybe dead, maybe taken, maybe weaponized, etc etc but ya know, bus full of kids.

Him refusing to help is practically a villain origin story. Doesn't Pa Kent read comics?!

The dude has the kryptonian symbol for hope on his chest and he writes off an entire civilisation because 'bad man force me make tough decision'. It is SO out of character so early on in his cinematic arc. I really like BvS, but that one sentence is impossible for me to swallow. Jonathan saying kids should have 'maybe drowned' in MoS was the other one.
Him refusing to help is practically a villain origin story. Doesn't Pa Kent read comics?!
Read comics, or go to the movies...
Classic Pa Kent (Colombia Superman 1948)
35c1jx.gif

Yes Pa Kent said it over a decade before Uncle Ben, Stan Lee just also "borrowed" it.

Last edited:
He was just doing everything he could to protect his son. I get it though, a bus full of kids should probably be the one exception lol. Imagine Clark letting them all drown. :lol

It starts off as a bus full of kids and before you know it he's letting trains get derailed, suspension bridges collapse, dams flooding towns. It's a slippery slope not saving people. Then one day when he's old and grey, he'll look into his 5th bottle of Jim Beam that morning and ask himself "Is today the right time?"

I never took it as Pa Kent being literal about letting the kids drown. I think he was more so stressing the importance of Clark keeping his powers a secret, regardless of the circumstances. He knew If the government found his son then he’d probably be as good as dead.

When Johnathan was questioned on if Clark should of let the kids die to keep Clark's secret, he said "I don't know, maybe".

He literally had the option on his mind for consideration.

From his acting it was clear that Costner was trying to convey a father stuck in a hard situation, looking for the right answer. Saying it's "maybe" ok to let a bus full of kids drown is never the right answer and never should have entered his head to begin with.

While non Snyder WB superhero movies and the MCU movies are quickly forgotten fans still holding passionate MOS/BvS/ZSJL thematic discussions on movies that supposedly had no staying power….

Ohhhh Snyder you little devil you…

View attachment 623083
You can see the same type of passionate discussion when fans of the Star Wars sequel trilogies engage with non fans.

When Johnathan was questioned on if Clark should of let the kids die to keep Clark's secret, he said "I don't know, maybe".

He literally had the option on his mind for consideration.

From his acting it was clear that Costner was trying to convey a father stuck in a hard situation, looking for the right answer. Saying it's "maybe" ok to let a bus full of kids drown is never the right answer and never should have entered his head to begin with.

Again, I never took it as Pa Kent literally telling him to let the kids drown. Besides, he goes on to stress the importance of Clark and how his character will “change the world” in nearly every flashback scene.

Again, I never took it as Pa Kent literally telling him to let the kids drown. Besides, he goes on to stress the importance of Clark and how his character will “change the world” in nearly every flashback scene.

It is art so, different interpretations.

Yes he does go on to stress to Clark on how he will change the world, but he also says "whether its for good or bad that is your decision." He takes this middle of the road, do what you want approach which is totally counter to how Johnathan Kent has always been. The Kents are what make Clark "human". He's how he learns to be good. The Pa Kent in MoS is this wishy washy in over his head Dad that for every good thing he says is followed by a really bad thing.

It would really track better if Clark did end up just keeping his head down, and not helping anyone, then him becoming Superman based off how he was raised.

I also think the line "All those powers and I couldn't even save him" is more important to his overall character than "I let my father die because I trusted him"
Over the years I've found that one pretty pointless. He's an adult, he would have worked out many years ago that people die from old age and illness and there's nothing he can do about it.

Over the years I've found that one pretty pointless. He's an adult, he would have worked out many years ago that people die from old age and illness and there's nothing he can do about it.
I don't see why it would be odd for him to still feel that when grief over losing his father is at its peak even if intellectually he knew there was nothing he could do.

As I said before too, all of that is negated when you see later in the film that Clark can literally time travel. :lol

As I said before too, all of that is negated when you see later in the film that Clark can literally time travel. :lol
Well he hadn't learned all of his powers at the point and even if he did an inevitable heart attack is still an inevitable heart attack. I don't know that he'd want to reverse time just so that he could watch his dad suffer and die again.

It did. There are many things I don't think are correct but we will just end up getting this one locked too.
I don't think that's what got it locked.

I can see where you could debate my conclusions, but the numbers are correct.

Back