The Flash - July 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original Burton suits had their own style and displayed restraint, in spite of having some tech detail.

This one is a victim of the times and ... check out the MCU go-faster lines on the upper thighs. Derivative as hell. Come on, Warner ... really?

Now I don't doubt it'll look better in motion, in the shadows etc. but the suit really doesn't work for me. I originally hated the busy, tactical look of Pat-Bat but at least it makes sense within his self-contained universe, whereas this just feels all over the place considering the source material. In my opinion, anyway. I don't see it as an evolution.

The original Burton suits had their own style and displayed restraint, in spite of having some tech detail.

This one is a victim of the times and ... check out the MCU go-faster lines on the upper thighs. Derivative as hell. Come on, Warner ... really?

Now I don't doubt it'll look better in motion, in the shadows etc. but the suit really doesn't work for me. I originally hated the busy, tactical look of Pat-Bat but at least it makes sense within his self-contained universe, whereas this just feels all over the place considering the source material. In my opinion, anyway. I don't see it as an evolution.
While technically they scaled back on this element in Batman Returns, one thing I love about the original suit is how leathery, textured, and almost gritty it looked. I love the way the cape hangs off him too.
Tim-Burtons-Batman-Suit.jpg

So many designs, even Returns, moved away from that sort of tactile, worn, almost dirty look and made his outfit sleek, overdesigned, and stylish instead. Even Batfleck's lacked that special something, despite being scaled back from the Bale version's bodyarmor aesthetic.

It's not my favorite, but weirdly enough I think Pattinson's Batsuit is the closest I've seen recapturing that real "weathered" look.
Robert-Pattinson-Batman_0.jpg

I do think I need to see the new suit on-set and correctly lit with light and shadows and all the necessary effects.

Well, it looks about as expected. :lol
A “modern” take on Keaton Batman with none of the artistic talent involved with his original suits.

I’m hoping the cowl will look better with light hitting it in the actual movie. The first two Keaton cowls looked fantastic in every scene - like they strategically placed light sources to really make it pop - especially in Returns.

best-batman-returns-quotes.jpg

The new cowl looks soft and bland. I think the eyebrows hurt it most - just look at them compared to the ones on the Returns cowl. It doesn’t look like Keaton in the suit anymore.

It’s got some of those over-designed lines throughout the neck area too. I wish they would’ve just slapped the Returns cowl onto him.

3DB445E3-E18B-4232-83D6-C10560B8B697.jpeg

Burton having zero involvement whatsoever with Keaton’s return leaves a weird taste in my mouth. I vaguely remember seeing an interview with Keaton years ago where he said the only way he’d come back was with him attached. Money talks, but still. I imagine a lot of the artistic flair the first two movies had will be lost here - especially seeing the new suit. It looks like a “good” CW superhero suit. I miss the gold belt especially.

Last edited:
It's a shame that after 30 years, Keaton's first photo in a Batman suit is a leaked photo with bad lighting. You'd think WB would make the most out of it and debut the first official photo on the set of the film with professional lighting.

It would have been so much nicer if the first photo had been Keaton in costume next to the Batmobile or in the Batcave like in 1989. That's too much to ask from WB.

Weird.

The cowl really does look like the Batman Forever cowl.

I understand that all the original suits have long since crumbled to dust, but they have "restored" replicas in the WB archives, so they could easily have made new pieces from the molds of the older suits if they wanted to.

On the other hand, it HAS been 30 years since Batman Returns. If we assume that version of Bruce continued to be Batman, there's no reason to think he wouldn't have continued to change his costume and equipment.

This suit is essentially the Returns suit with a bunch of extra speed lines all over it. I don't have a problem with it. Is that really modern day Keaton in that photo?? You can't even tell he's like 70 years old. I agree that it doesn't look like him though...he should be making his signature duck lip face.

This falls into "Last Jedi" territory for me. I know I'll hate everything about the movie, but I'll still want a figure of Old Man Keaton as Batman, just like I needed Old Man Luke. Nostalgia reigns supreme. The figures are cool, but I just need to make up my own backstory for them cause those movies don't exist in my world. In the case of "The Flash" movie, I doubt I'll even be able to sit through the actual movie....I'll be fast forwarding to whenever Keaton is on screen and that's it.

I still think the original suit is freaking awesome. At the time, it was like nothing anyone had ever seen on film for a traditional super-hero movie.

Yes, it has roots in the costumes from Star Wars, Alien, Dune, even RoboCop....but up until that point no super-hero movie had ever had anything other than a dude in tights.

You can argue that the sculpted muscles are "goofy," but the combination of cool elements like the cowl and the symbol and the belt and the gloves and boots just make it an awesome overall package.

It's been copied to death in the 30+ years since we first saw it but I think it still holds up, just like I think RoboCop and the original Alien hold up. It's an all-time classic. None of the other Batman movie suits have ever come close to being as cool as the original, except the Batman Forever "Panther" suit.

Just my opinion, of course.

Back