The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Batman film directed by Matt Reeves...again

I hated Batflek.....

Surprised to see so many lamenting his ending...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

tenor.gif

Yes, bad but good. I like watching a serious actor like TLJ trying to keep up with Prime Carrey by ripping off Jack's Joker. Bruce Wayne adopting a grown man is pure cheese on a cracker. Dumb Comisioner Gordon, horny Nicole Kidman, bat nipples, neon colors, Val Kilmer, the Riddler's plan, the suit up scene, it's all hilariously entertaining. The batmobile runs up a wall!!

Most men with the right look can pull of being the Batman, but as Bruce Wayne he was just the usual boring Affleck.
Always said Jon Hamm would have been the better choice.

Hamm would do it yesterday. All these films wasting his potential. Now that they're focusing on a younger version he'll never get the chance.

I think it’s only right they should let the murderer Batman go (I know it’s not Affleck’s fault, but it would always bother me if they’d kept him)

I think it’s only right they should let the murderer Batman go (I know it’s not Affleck’s fault, but it would always bother me if they’d kept him)

It sounds like reeves might be trying to be more like the comics, so fingers crossed. More detective work, no killing, a dark tone but with some cool gadgets, Alfred, commissioner Gordon and a few rogues in the mix to show how he takes them down methodically. I'm probably imagining something far better than it will turn out lol

I would love them to set up a knightfall adaptation

It sounds like reeves might be trying to be more like the comics, so fingers crossed. More detective work, no killing, a dark tone but with some cool gadgets, Alfred, commissioner Gordon and a few rogues in the mix to show how he takes them down methodically. I'm probably imagining something far better than it will turn out lol

I would love them to set up a knightfall adaptation

That sounds too good to be true. Even if that's the movie he makes, they'll likely throw the baby out with the bath water after the first test screenings. Sadly, the majority of movie goers today simply don't have the patience and/or attention span to sit through anything "methodical", no matter how compelling the plot may be.

yeah hard to believe WB will make this a serious detective thriller- we will see.
Affleck won't be Bats in this...no one said if this is an alternate universe film.....regardless he may be back if WB stays on their multiple universes track...

Most men with the right look can pull of being the Batman, but as Bruce Wayne he was just the usual boring Affleck.
Always said Jon Hamm would have been the better choice.

Couldn't disagree more.

Take Christian Bale for instance. I know this might sound like sacrilege to most, but he was a mediocre Batman. Good Bruce Wayne, but pretty crap Batman with THE VOICE... and before the you tie me to the stake and light up the fires, I liked the Nolan trilogy.

And as for Affleck's Bruce Wayne, I think he was far from a "usual boring Affleck"... how is his Wayne usual and boring? His characterization is completely different from, say, his The Town MacRay, or his Gone Girl Nick Dunne... neither of those characters show the cold, controlled rage of Wayne admonishing Alfred about the need to eliminate Superman, or the condescending menace of Wayne telling Diana that he's known girls like her. And those are just two examples, without even getting into his awesome presence as Batman.

Affleck was an amazing Batman/Wayne, and it's a shame he didn't get to develop the character (like Cavill and his Superman), but I can understand that for a new trilogy of movies you need a younger actor and a different starting point than the Snyderverse. In the end, the big loss here is that we didn't get to see Snyder's complete vision. Would it have been as universally accepted and successful as the MCU? Clearly not, but it would've been unique and thought-provoking.

Now I'm ready for all the memes... :lol

Couldn't disagree more.

Take Christian Bale for instance. I know this might sound like sacrilege to most, but he was a mediocre Batman. Good Bruce Wayne, but pretty crap Batman with THE VOICE... and before the you tie me to the stake and light up the fires, I liked the Nolan trilogy.

And as for Affleck's Bruce Wayne, I think he was far from a "usual boring Affleck"... how is his Wayne usual and boring? His characterization is completely different from, say, his The Town MacRay, or his Gone Girl Nick Dunne... neither of those characters show the cold, controlled rage of Wayne admonishing Alfred about the need to eliminate Superman, or the condescending menace of Wayne telling Diana that he's known girls like her. And those are just two examples, without even getting into his awesome presence as Batman.

Affleck was an amazing Batman/Wayne, and it's a shame he didn't get to develop the character (like Cavill and his Superman), but I can understand that for a new trilogy of movies you need a younger actor and a different starting point than the Snyderverse. In the end, the big loss here is that we didn't get to see Snyder's complete vision. Would it have been as universally accepted and successful as the MCU? Clearly not, but it would've been unique and thought-provoking.

:exactly:

All Matt Reeves needs to do is literally copy the Arkham games their you go 4 movies. If we actually got a Batman universe as good as the Arkham games WB wouldn’t have to do some stupid DCEU to compete against the MCU. Batman and Superman in their own universes and stories are the key the justice league sucks!!! All those characters..., SUCK!

I liked affleck. Sucks that they just gonna throw him away

It's as much Affleck's decision as it was WB's, if not more so. The moment BvS got ravaged by critics Affleck wanted the hell out of the role. As soon as I saw the "Sadfleck" video I knew his days were numbered.

Couldn't disagree more.

I’ll say this: I agree pretty much wholeheartedly with what you just said. I think people have a tendency to dogpile the odd man out. Between his personal problems and the 1-2-3 punch of the DCEU, Runner Runner, and Live by Night tossing him back out of Hollywood’s good graces after he was flying on cloud nine with a run of hits that he directed, it seems like he’s an easy target. Especially when Whedon or WB or whomever nerfed the **** out of him in Justice League. Whatever my problems with those movies, though, I thought he made it work to the best of his ability and I’d say he suffered much in the same way Cavill suffered: “great casting, ****** material.” I still like what he did with that role, despite my problems with MOS, BvS, and JL, but I think it is just an unfortunate circumstance of being at the forefront of a set of flops. If not for Wonder Woman blowing up and Aquaman already being in active development, I honestly feel like we’d have probably seen a full reboot, but because they were all tertiary characters in the DCEU in its earliest stages, I think that they were salvageable in a way that Cavill and Affleck aren’t.

I wouldn’t even say they aren’t salvageable so much as it really depends on the project. I absolutely feel like Cavill can still carry a great Superman flick, in spite of the previous films’ reputations, and I’d still see something with Affleck, but this is just...its weird. Especially with such a public and problematic production. Affleck tried to write, direct, and star; decides he can’t direct it or write it; decides he can’t star in it; it seems like it’s better, at least for this film, to be its own thing.

I think one of the reasons I liked Cavill as Superman was cause he was a complete unknown to me. I had no pre-conceived notions of the guy from other roles, so I could buy him as Clark Kent and Superman.

Ben Affleck never worked as Batman for me, not for even a single scene. He was always just Ben Affleck in a rubber suit. Or Ben Affleck in an expensive suit making an angry face and pretending he's Bruce Wayne. Probably the least convincing Batman in cinematic history.

But that's been a big problem since 1989, hasn't it? I mean, we all love Keaton as Batman, but he was never really the "Batman" from the comics at all, was he? He was basically a nutjob in a black rubber outfit. Fun movies, good for what they were, but not really Batman. Obviously Kilmer and Clooney was even worse, cause those guys were clearly playing themselves like Affleck was.

Nolan's movies came the closest to the essence of the actual character, but he looked all wrong to me. I believed Bale as Batman, but again, when he was playing Bruce Wayne, I could only see Patrick Bateman.

I'd love to see the role go to a true unknown, or at least, a guy that hasn't really been in anything big. Unfortunately, being the biggest comic book character of all time, they're gonna want an A-lister, and that's what always ruins it for me.

I think one of the reasons I liked Cavill as Superman was cause he was a complete unknown to me. I had no pre-conceived notions of the guy from other roles, so I could buy him as Clark Kent and Superman.

Ben Affleck never worked as Batman for me, not for even a single scene. He was always just Ben Affleck in a rubber suit. Or Ben Affleck in an expensive suit making an angry face and pretending he's Bruce Wayne. Probably the least convincing Batman in cinematic history.

But that's been a big problem since 1989, hasn't it? I mean, we all love Keaton as Batman, but he was never really the "Batman" from the comics at all, was he? He was basically a nutjob in a black rubber outfit. Fun movies, good for what they were, but not really Batman. Obviously Kilmer and Clooney was even worse, cause those guys were clearly playing themselves like Affleck was.

Nolan's movies came the closest to the essence of the actual character, but he looked all wrong to me. I believed Bale as Batman, but again, when he was playing Bruce Wayne, I could only see Patrick Bateman.

I'd love to see the role go to a true unknown, or at least, a guy that hasn't really been in anything big. Unfortunately, being the biggest comic book character of all time, they're gonna want an A-lister, and that's what always ruins it for me.

I don’t know I think that your personal issues with the previous movies. For me personally I always thought if Bruce Wayne was a real person that Christian bale really had me believe he was really Bruce Wayne. Batman begins Batman was the best interpretation. Afflecka biggest problem was he was thrown to the audience as Batman without giving us 1 solo movie to reboot our image of the previous Batman. Even though I didn’t like his voice in the later trilogy bale was probably the best at both Bruce and Batman. But i do still love Keaton and Adam west :)

Back