The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the circus freak Penguin is a great design but not ideal for a more reality based Batman movie. Nothing wrong with a fat Goldfinger type villain, although he should also be on the short side.

I feel like too many times Penguin is defined by either being a literal monster man-penguin or a human who quacks and waddles. The Penguin moniker might be as simple as a fat little man who always dresses in formal black-and-white. That color palette has more possibilities than trying to make an actor look like a freak.

I think the circus freak Penguin is a great design but not ideal for a more reality based Batman movie. Nothing wrong with a fat Goldfinger type villain, although he should also be on the short side.

I feel like too many times Penguin is defined by either being a literal monster man-penguin or a human who quacks and waddles. The Penguin moniker might be as simple as a fat little man who always dresses in formal black-and-white. That color palette has more possibilities than trying to make an actor look like a freak.

:exactly: :lecture :exactly:

Best post about the Penguin ever!

Al Pacino? Have you seen him as Big Boy in **** Tracy?

I feel like both Pacino and especially Pesci are way too hectic for The Penguin. Ranting and screaming -- DeVito did enough of that. I mean, a guy who wears a monocle doesn't strike me as a screamer. He should be cold, calculating and sadistic... with a short man's vengeance complex.

It may be too much of a gag but I wonder if Tyrion (Dinklage) would make a good Penguin?

I feel like both Pacino and especially Pesci are way too hectic for The Penguin. Ranting and screaming -- DeVito did enough of that. I mean, a guy who wears a monocle doesn't strike me as a screamer. He should be cold, calculating and sadistic... with a short man's vengeance complex.

It may be too much of a gag but I wonder if Tyrion (Dinklage) would make a good Penguin?

I haven't seen **** Tracy, actually. I'm picturing both Pacino and Pesci in their cold, menacing gangster moments as opposed to their manic schtick.

Dinklage is a fantastic actor but ... maybe too on the nose.

Yep very much a classy aristocrat type. I liked Devito in Burton's movie but Burton has always been more odd and eerie. We need Mr. Peanut.

Penguin is a well dressed high society gangster who happens to be short and fat. Not a monster. Not a mentally ill guy who quacks and wobbles.

Ledger Joker
Gotham Penguin
Year One Riddler
Batman Animated series Mr Freeze
Arkham City Game Scarecrow
Tom Kings Bane

That?s my line up.....best representations of the Characters as I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledger Joker
Gotham Penguin
Year One Riddler
Batman Animated series Mr Freeze
Arkham City Game Scarecrow
Tom Kings Bane

That?s my line up.....best representations of the Characters as I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

Bob Hoskins in Unleashed (2005) was a good Penguin. I always thought Penguin should have a British accent.

He looked like a small version of Kingping.

ceEU1VW.jpg

Totally agree, Bob Hoskins is the Penguin to me. Too bad he couldn't play him in a Batman movie. RIP.

Casting I'd like to see that we will never see:
Riddler: Benedict Cumberbatch
Bane: Body builder with voice over by Javier Bardem
Two-Face: Patrick Wilson
Catwoman: Carla Gugino
Mr. Freeze: Hugo Weaving
Mad Hatter: Jackie Earle Haley
Poison Ivy: Jessica Chastain
Professor Pyg: John Goodman
Hugo Strange: Bryan Cranston
Calendar Man: Jack Black

I haven't seen **** Tracy, actually. I'm picturing both Pacino and Pesci in their cold, menacing gangster moments as opposed to their manic schtick.

Dinklage is a fantastic actor but ... maybe too on the nose.

Oh man dude, you gotta see **** Tracy! It's really good. I think it was kind of a let down at the time cause in the summer of 1990 everyone just wanted more Batman, and this was NOT Batman. This was like a proto-Sin City in bright vibrant color. Give it a chance, it's a lot of fun, and very much one of the first "If comics were translated literally" movies.

Oh man dude, you gotta see **** Tracy! It's really good. I think it was kind of a let down at the time cause in the summer of 1990 everyone just wanted more Batman, and this was NOT Batman. This was like a proto-Sin City in bright vibrant color. Give it a chance, it's a lot of fun, and very much one of the first "If comics were translated literally" movies.

I'll watch it tonight, then.

Totally agree, Bob Hoskins is the Penguin to me. Too bad he couldn't play him in a Batman movie. RIP.

Casting I'd like to see that we will never see:
Riddler: Benedict Cumberbatch
Bane: Body builder with voice over by Javier Bardem
Two-Face: Patrick Wilson
Catwoman: Carla Gugino
Mr. Freeze: Hugo Weaving
Mad Hatter: Jackie Earle Haley
Poison Ivy: Jessica Chastain
Professor Pyg: John Goodman
Hugo Strange: Bryan Cranston
Calendar Man: Jack Black

Hugo Weaving is a great choice for Freeze.

Patrick Wilson? Why Patrick Wilson? Zero menace. Zero presence.

And Chastain? Is that the only redhead you could think of? She's all wrong for the part as I know it, and too old. You don't need to cast a redhead. I think Anya Taylor-Joy has a great unique look for Poison Ivy.

And as much as I like Carla, she's also too old for the role. Take the younger version, Eiza Gonzalez. If you go older, than no one would make a better Catwoman than Angelina Jolie. Her face was made for it. Of course, Angie would make a good Ivy as well. But I wouldn't cast her as either.

Last edited:
Hugo Weaving is a great choice for Freeze.

Patrick Wilson? Why Patrick Wilson? Zero menace. Zero presence.

And Chastain? Is that the only redhead you could think of? She's all wrong for the part as I know it, and too old. You don't need to cast a redhead. I think Anya Taylor-Joy has a great unique look for Poison Ivy.

And as much as I like Carla, she's also too old for the role. Take the younger version, Eiza Gonzalez. If you go older, than no one would make a better Catwoman than Angelina Jolie. Her face was made for it. Of course, Angie would make a good Ivy as well. But I wouldn't cast her as either.

Wilson I agree doesn't have much presence, but that is what I like about Dent is that he supposed to be the boy scout poster boy. I'd like to see an entire film with Dent not having to be Two-Face.

Chastain is sexy as hell. Joy doesn't bring the sleazy, she seems like a good girl.

I like Eiza. I wouldn't mind her. Does she have a good American accent? When I see Carla, I see Catwoman. Can bring the pompous, sophisticated kind of sexy attitude to the role.

I like older actors with experience. Hollywood likes to go young/cheaper, but I like the experience on screen and it shows.

I'd like to see an entire film with Dent not having to be Two-Face.

Watch Batman '89 then. :)

Is Ivy sleazy? I thought that was Harley? I thought Ivy was a bohemian at heart but with a wicked streak. That said, Chastain doesn't strike me as sleazy either. Who's our hot new sleaze girl of late?

The downside to older actors is they bring their baggage. And sometimes they are hired for their name value alone.

Back