Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Ancient Alien stuff has been around for decades. Got real popular in the 70s for awhile, died down then came back with the History Channel show.

For me, KoTC problem wasn't the alien part of it, it was the bad writing. Fun idea to explore, poorly executed.
Yeah, the pacing was bad. It got too exposition-heavy and wasted John Hurt in a tiresome role. And I didn't like the way Marion found extreme peril such a laughing matter, especially considering it involved her son. Couldn't she have screamed like Willie? :lol

Honestly I should probably forgive it that last point. Its true failing was that it was an action-adventure movie that was kinda boring for long stretches.

To me those things despite being "magic" seem a bit more appropriate because the series roots them in mythology. The ancient powerful artifact shtick is an Indy staple.
Yeah there's a big difference in my book between the mystical nature of the Ark, Sankara Stones and Holy Grail and the hard-scifi nature of aliens, spaceships, and time travel.
Atlantis mythology and all it invokes, seems the perfect fair game middle ground to bridge the two, and remain true to the fantastic pulpy adventure quests that has always been Indian Jones. :wink1:

Last edited:
Yeah, the pacing was bad. It got too exposition-heavy and wasted John Hurt in a tiresome role. And I didn't like the way Marion found extreme peril such a laughing matter, especially considering it involved her son. Couldn't she have screamed like Willie? :lol

Honestly I should probably forgive it that last point. Its true failing was that it was an action-adventure movie that was kinda boring for long stretches.

Yeah it wasted a lot of potential and was way to campy.

I just pray the whole time travel rumor turns out not to be true. Because that to me would be just as ridiculous and Indy meeting aliens in the last movie, and I can't even see Mangold making that idea work.
You mean as ridiculous as the magical bible stuff in the first and third installments?...

The Ancient Alien stuff has been around for decades. Got real popular in the 70s for awhile, died down then came back with the History Channel show.

For me, KoTC problem wasn't the alien part of it, it was the bad writing. Fun idea to explore, poorly executed.
I agree the alien plot was a fun and fresh idea for Jones. The movie though was almost unwatchable

Also,
Its true failing was that it was an action-adventure movie that was kinda boring for long stretches.
The movie though was almost unwatchable

I haven't watched it for many years now. I agree, I don't think I could sit through it again. Just thinking it thru, it meanders way too much... the only good set-piece is ridiculously staged in CGI glory (from monkeys to sword-fighting). Hurt and that Jonesy-guy are cringe-worthy. Then there's the fridge.

I dunno. There's a good sequence in there, buried beneath a slogging pace. Too long to find the alien box, slow action (no bullets hit old man trying to climb crates), the first fight with the Russian had promise but went for the rocket car joke instead (funny faces)... the A-bomb town was creepy, but the fridge gag just broke my suspension of disbelief. That door would open and a fridge full of Indy jelly would spill into the desert.

I don't think I've ever been offended. Every negative thing I've ever heard about myself is pretty accurate.

c220395688ac686430411d4deac3789a.png

"I mock your value system. You also appear foolish to the eyes of others."

"Past instances in which I professed to like you were fraudulent."

"I engaged in intercourse with your spouse or significant other."

I liked KOTCS more than most, but it appeared to go off the rails when Marion appeared - like TPM did when Jar Jar appeared.

Though neither was the actual actor's/character's fault.

Also, they didn't need both John Hurt and Ray Winstone.

The first act is actually pretty solid I think, with the warehouse scene, a cool fight with the russian, and the creepy abandoned town. But then once Shia turns up and they set off on their Scooby Doo adventure it just turns into a complete cheesefest.
There are some interesting sets and scenes in there for sure, which only makes it more frustrating thinking about the missed oportunity

Can't help but wonder what the alien take would've looked like had Spielberg and Ford not opposed the idea a decade earlier

Back