Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it was a weird Super Bowl trailer more of a reminder that Indy hates Nazis I’m not gonna lie I absolutely loved him falling out of the plane with Marion and their dialogue was fun.

I definitely think a lot of people got hurt in the 70's that went unreported.

That decade was full of crazy gun violence and car chases galore... besides all the major Guinness record stunt work, just on the Bond films alone... but think about all the Dirty Harry type movies, Gone in 60 Seconds and Gumball Rally type movies, Crazy Mary Dirty Larry and White Line Fevers, the disaster movie craze, etc, etc...

Also being the “macho” era I imagine there was a stigma if you reported you were hurt in an accident. Or worry of losing a job because you weren’t “tough” enough to just walk it off.

Practical will always be superior to CG. However the risk of injury and death plus the litigation that comes from it nowadays I imagine makes CGI preferable as a cost saving measure no matter how bad or cartoony it may look.

Also being the “macho” era I imagine there was a stigma if you reported you were hurt in an accident. Or worry of losing a job because you weren’t “tough” enough to just walk it off.

Practical will always be superior to CG. However the risk of injury and death plus the litigation that comes from it nowadays I imagine makes CGI preferable as a cost saving measure no matter how bad or cartoony it may look.
The unfortunate thing is...these CG "artists" very quickly lose control of weight and physics to the point where everything...people, objects, you name it...just bounce unrealistically around the screen taking any sense of "reality" with it. With each successive "action" movie filled with these CG stunts, the audience quickly learns to spot what is fake. And these days, that's 90% of it. That crap may work in a game, but not in a movie (or show).

Try as they might, nothing will replace the visceral thrill of seeing a live, real man dragged beneath a truck.

It's gonna be a matter of time before all of the guns are CG too for that very reason you bring up, the "risk" and litigation. The CG artists won't get the buck of a gun right either just as the actor won't convey that tension in the body when a weapon is fired.

Hold onto those classics, folks. Soon it's going to be nothing but floating, ill-aligned heads on CG bodies "firing" dead props at each other. And it'll look as fun as it sounds.

Look at these trailers again. Unreal. All of it.

The unfortunate thing is...these CG "artists" very quickly lose control of weight and physics to the point where everything...people, objects, you name it...just bounce unrealistically around the screen taking any sense of "reality" with it. With each successive "action" movie filled with these CG stunts, the audience quickly learns to spot what is fake. And these days, that's 90% of it. That crap may work in a game, but not in a movie (or show).

Try as they might, nothing will replace the visceral thrill of seeing a live, real man dragged beneath a truck.

It's gonna be a matter of time before all of the guns are CG too for that very reason you bring up, the "risk" and litigation. The CG artists won't get the buck of a gun right either just as the actor won't convey that tension in the body when a weapon is fired.

Hold onto those classics, folks. Soon it's going to be nothing but floating, ill-aligned heads on CG bodies "firing" dead props at each other. And it'll look as fun as it sounds.

Look at these trailers again. Unreal. All of it.
Tom Cruise really is the last action hero.

While it was a weird Super Bowl trailer more of a reminder that Indy hates Nazis I’m not gonna lie I absolutely loved him falling out of the plane with Marion and their dialogue was fun.
I love his delivery of that line in the trailer. Although I can't help but be reminded how the label Nazi gets thrown around so casually these days and politically misused with how damaging that is. Another reason to hate the actual Nazis of the 1930s/40s - they continue to wreak consequences today.

Last edited:
The unfortunate thing is...these CG "artists" very quickly lose control of weight and physics to the point where everything...people, objects, you name it...just bounce unrealistically around the screen taking any sense of "reality" with it.
I think economics is driving that. Studios don't want to pay, they want to crank out product and the public accepts it.

If people were more discerning about what they watched (en masse, not obsessive forum geeks) the CG would be better. There's no incentive for maximum effort.

Top Gun Maverick was the last real movie. From now on it's all cartoons, all the time.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes! :panic:

Is using CGI to produce something like the Raiders truck chase cheaper than using a real truck and stunt people? I always assumed the physical filming would be much cheaper (not including wrongful death lawsuits obviously), but maybe not.
I don't know the number difference, but the cost for practical is more then just paying for stunt guys to do it. There's insurance, crew costs, food, you have to have the appropriate weather, permits if it's not on a studio set. I'm sure there is more but I'm not in the "biz" to know it all.

I want to repeat, I'm not championing for CGI, I PREFER practical effects, I just can see why CGI is what the industry is moving to.

I don't know the number difference, but the cost for practical is more then just paying for stunt guys to do it. There's insurance, crew costs, food, you have to have the appropriate weather, permits if it's not on a studio set. I'm sure there is more but I'm not in the "biz" to know it all.

I want to repeat, I'm not championing for CGI, I PREFER practical effects, I just can see why CGI is what the industry is moving to.
Crew and associated personnel (medical, safety etc.) are expensive, props and picture cars are expensive, insurance is crazy, specialized rigging, studio builds, all multiplied by time, overtime, location rentals etc. Food isn't that expensive but it's in there.

Last edited:
This is what happens when adults still watch cartoons....
.....says one of the adults who still collects dolls lol....

0819eafe-45cd-4596-b36c-e94db455494f_text.gif

You mean we should hate Nazis more because their name has become a lazy put-down misused and overused to the point of tedium and meaninglessness? You can hate the Nazis for a lot of stuff... but that might be one step too far. :lol

:lol That's why I said it's ''another'' reason to hate them. As if it were needed.

But yeah Indy's line did sort of sound like the beginning of an online forum argument - "are you still a Nazi?" That's Godwin's Law: the meme that says the longer an online chat goes on, regardless of what's being discussed, the greater the chance of someone comparing someone else to Nazis or Hitler.

That plus more seriously we have Putin of all people using it as justification for the invasion of Ukraine and for all atrocities committed thereon. They're fighting the Nazis you see, and everyone knows it's OK to punch a Nazi.

I was far away from the TV I thought it was a flashback with a de-aged Indy and Marion.

Now I’m disappointed that it’s not.

But holy crap they made fleabag look and sound just like Marion.

Is using CGI to produce something like the Raiders truck chase cheaper than using a real truck and stunt people? I always assumed the physical filming would be much cheaper (not including wrongful death lawsuits obviously), but maybe not.

Crew and associated personnel (medical, safety etc.) are expensive, props and picture cars are expensive, insurance is crazy, specialized rigging, studio builds, all multiplied by time, overtime, location rentals etc. Food isn't that expensive but it's in there.

Don’t forget John Knoll’s underling with some sort of ping pong ball on a stick, intimacy supervisors lol, inflation, covid whether that is cheaper than 100 computer graphics artists somewhere on an island in the Atlantic is another question.

I thought it was Marion also. Although to my understanding Karen
Allen is not in the movie. I thought it might be an uncredited ( or yet to be credited) surprise .
Will they just ignore KotCS like we all do or acknowledge it?

I was far away from the TV I thought it was a flashback with a de-aged Indy and Marion.

Now I’m disappointed that it’s not.

But holy crap they made fleabag look and sound just like Marion.
Fleabag is his goddaughter is that right?

Back