Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
real stunt > safety rig (wires erased) > BoBF > OWK > CGI stunt

BoldEarlyArgentineruddyduc.gif

We all know the "all or nothing" days of stuntwork are long past. There's a few living legends still out there, Terry Leonard, Buddy Joe Hooker, to name a couple. Honestly, the amped up spectacle of Fury Road doesn't hold a candle to the Mad Max 2 stunts at least in terms of raw appearance. Despite how much of it was practical, they messed around with it in post production so it doesn't look as real as it is. If that makes any sense. Seems to be the norm now though.

Better Indy V teaser. I guess.

Let's not forget Yakima Canutt as Zorro who gave us the original stunts that inspired Indian Jones to begin with.

oie_animation.gif

781e8z.gif

5khmsi.gif

5khn5z.gif

72g7h9.gif

781f83.gif

72ga0r.gif

782bef.gif

But suddenly blaming this movie specifically for poor CG taking over stunts, all the whining is well over a decade misdirected.:lol

Last edited:
My expectations are in check. I don't expect some grand return to form. Pretty much everything is hyped up to the point of disappointment at this point. Not going to waste time getting bent out of shape over fiction when time is already limited as it is.

My expectations are in check. I don't expect some grand return to form. Pretty much everything is hyped up to the point of disappointment at this point. Not going to waste time getting bent out of shape over fiction when time is already limited as it is.

I can hear the disappointment in your voice.

You'd never hear a little boy say that about going to Disneyland. ...Or would you?

This little boy never really fell under the magic spell of Disney, sadly. Got a glimpse once, years ago. But that was about it.

And disappointed? You got that right, partner. At this point, I'd probably get more enjoyment out of skimming thru my old Further Adventures of Indiana Jones comics from the 80's than anything (over)produced today. Just watch those recent interviews with Harrison Ford. I hate to say it, but it's incredibly disheartening.
I can hear the disappointment in your voice.

You'd never hear a little boy say that about going to Disneyland. ...Or would you?

Last edited:
There were actually more serious on-set accidents in the 2010s than there were in either the 1970s or the 1980s (2010s is nearly double the number from the 1970s.) However the number of productions decade by decade is obviously a factor and hard to factor in.
I would love to see the details of those stats, I’m wondering if many of them are gun related rather than stunts.

If you can hold side by side the stunt-oriented truck chase of Raiders and the highly CGI car chase of Dial of Destiny (what we've seen of it - maybe a dozen shots) and like the visuals equally without a problem, then I envy you.
Oh god no. Obviously you can’t hear all of the sarcasm in my voice. Nothing will ever touch Raiders as far as I am concerned. It’s one of my favourite movies of all time and I constantly refer to the Raven Bar scene on here as one of my favourite fight scenes of all time.

Some of my favorite films are Mad Max 2, The Driver, The Terminator, The Blues Brothers all with insanely visceral and dangerous stunts.

1. Considered by many as one of the best CGI chases ever produced.
2. Occurring in a universe that is wholly presented as only 90% "real" (versus live action realism like Indy) so any subtle "fakeness" of the CGI actually works to its advantage.
Again, I was joking. That chase is insane in the best possible way.

I would love to see the details of those stats, I’m wondering if many of them are gun related rather than stunts.
Sorry couldn’t help it I do a lot of movie research, according to Wikipedia (yes I know):

38 film/tv accidents in the 70s, mostly stunt related
55 in the 80s, stunts again
33 in the 90s, mostly accidents (such as non stunt helicopter crashes) and stunts, a few gun related
42 in 00s, mostly stunts and accidents
62 in the 10s. Mostly stunts and accidents, but a few gun related and knife related as well like the time Terry O’Quinn stabbed Matthew Fox with a real knife on Lost.
7 in the 20s, stunts, accidents, the 1 gun related on Rust.

I guess you could also put these numbers down to the ever increasing reporting of these things. There would not have been as much reporting of accidents in the seventies except for the high profile cases.

Sorry couldn’t help it I do a lot of movie research, according to Wikipedia (yes I know):

38 film/tv accidents in the 70s, mostly stunt related
55 in the 80s, stunts again
33 in the 90s, mostly accidents (such as non stunt helicopter crashes) and stunts, a few gun related
42 in 00s, mostly stunts and accidents
62 in the 10s. Mostly stunts and accidents, but a few gun related and knife related as well like the time Terry O’Quinn stabbed Matthew Fox with a real knife on Lost.
7 in the 20s, stunts, accidents, the 1 gun related on Rust.

I guess you could also put these numbers down to the ever increasing reporting of these things. There would not have been as much reporting of accidents in the seventies except for the high profile cases.
Lucky guy (T.O.) - a lot of people wanted to stab Matthew Fox back then lol...

I definitely think a lot of people got hurt in the 70's that went unreported.

That decade was full of crazy gun violence and car chases galore... besides all the major Guinness record stunt work, just on the Bond films alone... but think about all the Dirty Harry type movies, Gone in 60 Seconds and Gumball Rally type movies, Crazy Mary Dirty Larry and White Line Fevers, the disaster movie craze, etc, etc...

Pretty much everything is hyped up to the point of disappointment at this point.

I haven't seen any genuine "hype" for this movie. The only discussions range from outright derision to some people having a "wait and see" attitude. Other than some mentally impaired folks like Eric Buttz, I am unaware of anyone being wholly enthused and excited for this movie.

I suppose the blame lies squarely with Crystal Skull. I guess it was a more innocent time back then, before the Marvel method of movie-making made every "event" bland and disappointing, but people were seriously pumped to see Indy back again. I saw it opening night in a sold out crowd at midnight, and there was cheering and clapping and all that. (Before the movie....afterwards it was eerily silent...)

Even the most optimistic movie-goer is unlikely to forget how badly we got burned by Crystal Skull. Combine that with Ford's age and the delays in getting this movie out...no wonder nobody cares.

I haven't seen any genuine "hype" for this movie. The only discussions range from outright derision to some people having a "wait and see" attitude. Other than some mentally impaired folks like Eric Buttz, I am unaware of anyone being wholly enthused and excited for this movie.

I suppose the blame lies squarely with Crystal Skull. I guess it was a more innocent time back then, before the Marvel method of movie-making made every "event" bland and disappointing, but people were seriously pumped to see Indy back again. I saw it opening night in a sold out crowd at midnight, and there was cheering and clapping and all that. (Before the movie....afterwards it was eerily silent...)

Even the most optimistic movie-goer is unlikely to forget how badly we got burned by Crystal Skull. Combine that with Ford's age and the delays in getting this movie out...no wonder nobody cares.
In terms to hype, I was speaking in broad terms. I was there on midnight for Crystal Skull, too so I know exactly what you mean. I so want this one to be good, but I'm far too jaded to think it will be.

Last edited:
Back