EXO-6 Star Trek "The Wrath of Khan" Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So maybe on Discovery Stamets is the token white dude… honestly who cares, out of any valid critique I could make about any of the 4 seasons of that show the characters gender, skin colour or preference towards potential partners doesn’t even register in my sensors.

So, how about those Wrath of Khan prototypes?

View attachment 576167
I can not wait to get that Kirk, looking forward to seeing all of the goodies this one will come with!

I think that Nanjin and EXO-6 are going out of their way to make very scene/episode/moment versions of characters. This is different from a lot of other companies that do more to capture the overall “essence” of a character in the sculpt. For example, FC Picard deviates from a lot of people’s mental image of Picard, yet came out to be an amazing sculpt.

I think the Spock sculpt is a good representation of how Nimoy looked in TWOK, but it deviates a bit from how people think of Spock looking ‘in essence.’ This approach is a bit more evident when you look at all the different Spocks previewed in Chicago. Many aren’t THE Spock, but they all do a pretty good job of interpreting specific Spocks. This opens up EXO-6 to a lot of criticism where many might be happier at a more generic Spock sculpt rather than scene specific. With as OCD as Nanjin is, I bet the sculptors have very scene specific reference photos for their work.

This also runs a risk. While I think the various Nimoy sculpts are mostly good, I agree that the initial TWOK McCoy prototype has issues. Then people’s criticisms get further amplified because EXO-6 isn‘t going for a generic McCoy that could be suited in a TOS or TWOK uniform, but specifically TWOK’s McCoy and whatever that meant for Deforest Kelley’s face at the time of filming. If EXO-6 ever fails to deliver on a particular sculpt and that sculpt is based on scene accurate photos from the actor that somewhat differ from how people are used to imagining the character, then the sculpt’s reception is going to fail pretty spectacularly.

In short, I like the Spock proto for TWOK, even if the TMP Spock we’ve seen more closely aligns to my idealized mental image of the ‘essence‘ of Spock.

I'd love to have these made, in both male and female versions. No head or body is supplied, so the buyer can create generic crew members.

e122647639d8a292fd1ea2aff3165e39.jpg

They were actually the old TMP grey uniforms dyed red and with alterations. That particular shade of red was chosen, as it dyed consistently well.

Agreed, I would think the bread and butter would be 90s Trek and TOS. Personally I'd be weary of expending a lot of resources on the new stuff (at least for now) as the ROI potential seems less certain vs. the "golden era" series, e.g. the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes for Discovery is 36% and 40% for Picard, not exactly a resounding success. To each their own, I just hope we see the crews completed on "old trek" first before going heavy on the rest.
That would make sense, those of us that grew up with TOS and TWoK aren't getting any younger, and we have the most money to blow on stuff like this.

The new Spock doesn't seem to me to fit the role in the same tone as Nimoy and Quinto, so I'm not a big fan of his portrayal. And i agree, the new shows are very dark, which isn't, in my view, the heart of Star Trek. It's very moden, but not very Trek. Nevertheless, the final Q scene this season did get me a little veklempt.
That's hollywood these day, everything is dark. Look at Zach Snyder and JL. I'm not saying you needed the 50's DC comic characters, but the only person that should be dark in that universe is Batman. Instead we got emo Superman et al. Same thing happened to Trek IMO

That's hollywood these day, everything is dark. Look at Zach Snyder and JL. I'm not saying you needed the 50's DC comic characters, but the only person that should be dark in that universe is Batman. Instead we got emo Superman et al. Same thing happened to Trek IMO
Seems to fit the narrative. Look at the news all they push is doom and gloom. It is also like you were stating in what passes for entertainment. There seems to be no fantastical escape anymore unless we push the crap aside and turn off todays tv and watch our favorite classics, including TOS TNG and the original movies or go outside and experiance the great outdoors. Maybe climb a rock like our favorite captain. Unfortunatly they all want us unhappy and hopeless.

I wouldn’t expect the headsculpts for TWOK to look like headsculpts for TOS . The actors/characters have aged by 12 - 13 years. And Nimoy as Spock looked very different in Cage. I think that different look is what makes the Cage figure appealing. But within a series I would expect and prefer a basic look rather than a scene specific expression.
—- On a side note —- and I hope this does not take the thread too far off track ——- I would have liked SNW to have kept the same uniforms and makeup as used in ”The Cage” or WNMHGB. I understand it is a challenge for the creators to do a prequel to TOS when 21st Century technology and production value so far exceeds a 1960’s television production set in the 23rd century.

… AND … who was the first CO of the Enterprise ? Jonathan Archer or Robert April ?

Or Bull Halsey USN

okay — I see your point . Archer’s craft was designated NX-01. I presume April’s is NCC-1701. While the outside of the ship on SNW is recognizable as the Enterprise, the bridge differently designed is far more advanced than TOS

SNW is supposed to take place 5 years after the Cage, so I can see the uniforms having been upgraded since that time. And personally I think they've paid homage fairly well with the lack of a black collar.

So, how about those Wrath of Khan prototypes?
fb_img_1649517429652-jpg.576167

View attachment 576167

t2-jpg.571225

t1-jpg.571226
t0-jpg.571224

These ^do look great!
Kirk does wonderfully capture the spirit and likeness of the Captain on the Bridge character moment very well.
Although this is an instance I really want possibly a second head sculpt; not yelling Khaan!(that's to specific), but at least a much more intense, stern faced Kirk, to pair against the Khan figure.
Something which better embodies the film's fantastic rivalry between the two characters.

6fvujd.gif

6fvuqw.jpg

Also absolutely not necessary but would be fun, if Kirk aptly gets A Tale of Two Cities, which they borrowed and wove in several intertextual elements - Khan needs to be paired with his own parallel volumes: Either Moby-Dick (implicitly invoked throughout the film) , Dante's Inferno, or Milton’s Paradise Lost, first cited in Space Seed.
All suggesting aspects of Khan’s character.

That said, surprised 5 pages into The Wrath of Khan thread (derail not withstanding), anybody has yet to share the actual Khan prototype.

khan-jpg.571269

Although he was looking a bit disheveled at the EXO Mission Chicago display, and relegated to a display in the bottom shelf corner ( jump to - 12:26 ) - not sure if his "wildman" hair was jut hopelessly unfutsible, or they are developing something new, so they didn't want to draw to much attention? Nanjin - "I will totally change him myself".
Although I think he looks great!
1649537049712-png.571293

I didn't follow and don't know the nuances or behind the scenes drama between what was apparently QMX to EXO6 , or details of how or what prototypes transitioned from one to the other? I have no idea.
Yet here is apparently the 2018 QMx Khan (I have no idea how, why or if, it's the same figure? Boots change etc.?)
Either way he looks terrific, one of my most anticipated figures.
qmx-khan-2018-jpg.571270

Don't know if EXO will ever revisit a Space Seed episode TOS era Khan figure, under the EXO-6 brand name?
Maybe an alternative in dress uniform?
6fw809.jpg

Last edited:
....or they are developing something new, so they didn't want to draw to much attention?
screenshot_20220409-092439_facebook-jpg.571211

131313-jpg.571496

a9c4ceab-14bb-439c-aba0-711029c34f3a-jpeg.571228

68eb4aff-0504-495e-b1d8-953814488f93-jpeg.571230

Nanjin - "I will totally change him myself".
Re: ^ Noticed both Kruge and Georgiou come with some substantial cape accessory.
Still wondering if a Khan update is forthcoming? We can get the addition of some of the Ceti-Alpha apocalyptic-Bedouin survivor gear look;
Headdress, scrap-metal-goggles, (a second gloved hand, whatever knife maybe goes in that sheath), and cloak, etc.
6fvhlz.gif

Wasn't there some face to face / mano a mano sword fight between Khan and Kirk in the origina script?
b64dfdc4-259c-4463-bf14-96b1ac8de35e-jpeg.568207

3759fd12-20c3-4909-ac08-36ae41c06da4-gif.568208
https://64.media.tumblr.com/a1c7a02...01fb906aec100ddae4607be86ad88b2dc3b08c3b.gifv
6fwx56.jpg

ApcCvxT.jpg

Last edited:
I think your right, a more serious face especially for when attired in the away team jacket would be great.

that said not so great for my wallet as if we see that offered this will be a definite double dip figure! I’m tempted to already, one posed with the book like those photos and another Phaser in hand like he was on Regular One, a head sculpt with a stern expression would seal the deal.

Diamond Select put the required accessories in their TWOK Khan. Ceti eel, thongs, dish with small eels in the bottom.

Yeah I think I would have preferred a more intense expression for Kirk as well, that better represents the intense nature of the film itself and his showdown with Khan. But it's not a huge deal and I'll be more than happy with the current sculpt.

star-trek2-movie-screencaps.com-6893.jpg

Back