DAMTOYS-The Godfather 1972 - 1/6th (Vito Corleone Formal Version) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the bump, made me notice that the Formal version is arriving soon at Timewalker. Fingers crossed that the Casual version is not far behind.

Kind of fortuitous that these figures ended up arriving in time for the 50th anniversary. That wasn't even on my radar when these went up for order.

Finally got shipping notice on this from sideshow today, looking forward to seeing how it looks alongside my golden years version

Anyone know where I can find a good reference image I can use to create a diorama of the Don Corleone’s office? I’ve watched the movie and tried to screen shot some scenes but it’s all too dark and blurry not suitable to use as a background image.

Just got it. Chose the alternate head and I’m really annoyed that a neck joint wasn’t included for that one. Pain in the ass to swap it out

Attachments

• 24A69C82-67EF-4CD6-936C-1765C71B2ED3.jpeg
    24A69C82-67EF-4CD6-936C-1765C71B2ED3.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 72
Haven’t received my figure yet. Does the alternate head not fit on the same joint as the standard head?
Only the "main" head comes with a neck joint so you have to take it off to put it on the other head. But it's pretty tight and it also doesn't fit well in the other head. I had to scrape off some of the inside to get it to fit. Not exactly a great experience when you get a new figure lol.

I noticed the young Vito Corleone 3rd party figure recently got released. Are you getting that one too?

My complaint is the pants are also too short and the table that came with mine snapped in half as soon as I removed it out of the box the first time. The 2 head sculpt also has the same expression. What's the point?

Anyone know where I can find a good reference image I can use to create a diorama of the Don Corleone’s office? I’ve watched the movie and tried to screen shot some scenes but it’s all too dark and blurry not suitable to use as a background image.

I've been trying to collect images of the desk/office for quite a while now, in the hopes of trying to commission a scaled desk. I've even gone so far as to go to Coppola's winery to get photos of the desk that was used in the film. All that to say, there are no clear images of the office/desk in the film. However, I just thumbed through my Godfather Family Album book from Taschen and it has a few BTS images that have a clear look at the office. I doubt these images exist in digital format, so photos of the book's pages will have to do.

The skilled image editors among us could probably compile reference images based on the BTS photos to create a realistic backdrop.

This is the clearest look we have at what's on Vito's desk.

IMG_20220410_161504122.jpg

And this is a decent wide shot at the entire office. That back corner is always in shadow ... probably because it's where the seediest of deals were made. ;)

OfficeLeft.jpg

OfficeRight.jpg

I noticed the young Vito Corleone 3rd party figure recently got released. Are you getting that one too?

My complaint is the pants are also too short and the table that came with mine snapped in half as soon as I removed it out of the box the first time. The 2 head sculpt also has the same expression. What's the point?
I pushed the foam apart to prevent any force on the table. It’s in there tight but I was able to remove it without breaking it.

Young Vito looks good but I’m pretty maxed out on space and budget. I may pass on him.

The two head sculpt thing was lost on me as well. I wish they did something else with the 1st sculpt, maybe changed the direction the eyes are looking or something. It’s pretty much a wasted accessory. The redone/2nd sculpt is what sold me on this set though. Looks great.

Last edited:
I got the Golden Years version because of the extra pose options, but i decided that i'm now gonna sell him and get the formal version. He's an amazing figure, but he doesn't really go with my present toys Michael in the sofa chair as he's more of an outside Vito. I think the formal version is also way more iconic and just stands out more in a display.

Golden Years definitely feels more like the deluxe version. Let’s you recreate the street scene and death scene. All of the accessories look great too. If you could only get one of the two that Formal version is the right choice. It’s the most iconic.

I got mine today and I will return it, the tuxedo it’s too short, very different than the prototype pictures, it’s well made, looks better made than the hot toys but again, it’s too short, the pants, the vest and the sleeves, and the hot toys was too large, the right size was the yunsil tuxedo, but it’s no longer available and was too expensive. The accessories and the sculpt are great but I can’t do anything to fix the tuxedo.

Attachments

• 69BAE678-99DC-45BE-9DD5-1F52C0643F9C.jpeg
    69BAE678-99DC-45BE-9DD5-1F52C0643F9C.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 66
  • FED91FE1-785F-4F64-9FDF-BF42F82D9CCE.png
    FED91FE1-785F-4F64-9FDF-BF42F82D9CCE.png
    936.4 KB · Views: 66
  • A224813D-CF94-4026-BE8C-03AA50DBA7E6.jpeg
    A224813D-CF94-4026-BE8C-03AA50DBA7E6.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 67
"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."
-Don Vito Corleone
[The Godfather-1972]

This is one classy figure from Damtoys!

And some what of a grail for me as I had missed out on the Hot Toys release back in 2009. And when I had the chance to pick him up it had skyrocketed in price upwards to $800-900 or some times breaking the $1k barrier on ebay. Not one I could justify spending that kind of money on. But thankfully Dam Toys comes along and grabs the license and not only releases the Don but totally crushes the old HT offering. Of course there's over a decade of time spent between the two. Glad to finally have such an iconic role from such and incredible film, which just hit its 50th anniversary this year.

Fun bit of trivia:
Cinematographer Gordon Willis earned himself the nickname "The Prince of Darkness," since his sets were so underlit. "Paramount Pictures" executives initially thought that the footage was too dark, until persuaded otherwise by Willis and Francis Ford Coppola that it was to emphasize the shadiness of the Corleone family's dealings.

Hence my more "dim" lit pics. :)
FB_IMG_1649732656154.jpg
FB_IMG_1649732659179.jpg
FB_IMG_1649732668458.jpg
PSX_20220411_204320.jpg
PSX_20220411_204726.jpg
FB_IMG_1649732653762.jpg
PSX_20220411_204021.jpg

I'm going back and forth with which one I want. I might get both keep them for a bit and then decide if I want to sell one.

I was in the same boat.. so I finally just ordered both. I'm going to wait until I have the two in hand and decide whether I want to sell one or display both versions. I doubt I'll want to get rid of either though.

I got mine today and I will return it, the tuxedo it’s too short, very different than the prototype pictures, it’s well made, looks better made than the hot toys but again, it’s too short, the pants, the vest and the sleeves, and the hot toys was too large, the right size was the yunsil tuxedo, but it’s no longer available and was too expensive. The accessories and the sculpt are great but I can’t do anything to fix the tuxedo.
This is where I am. I really want both but the tuxedo is the real winner but this just seems so far from the prototype to me. I have yet to see any pics that really looks like the prototype.
I mean, this was ground breaking!
1649790795742.png

The shoulders on the production tux just don't seem to be cut right.

I wanted to order the golden years version but wanted some more information and was hoping that someone who already has this figure could answer.
  1. Does the Golden Years Version come with three (3) head sculpts (Older, old and closed eyes)? Nowhere on the listings online(KGHobby, TNS etc) does it say 3 headsculpts but I have seen it in online images and just wanted to confirm it with those who have received it.
  2. I already have the HT Godfather figure so I am not looking to buy the Tux (Formal version), but just wanted to know whether the extra head sculpts (old and older Vito) we get in the Golden Years version are the same two that we get in the Formal version as well.
Would be great if anyone can help to answer my questions before I order it. Thanks a ton and happy collecting!

I think this figure would have benefited from a better fat suit. Not enough padding in the chest imo..Quality in the tux tailoring did take a dip compared to the prototype but overall I’m happy with it.

I’m hoping Dam does a Michael from Godfather 1. Army uniform or restaurant scene outfit would be cool.

Back