Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a LOT added to the WATCHMEN Director's Cut... the whole subplot of Hollis Mason's murder, more stuff with the Bernies at the newsstand, etc. It's about 20 minutes or so longer than the Theatrical Cut.

The version with the animated Black Freighter cut in is an all-together different cut (called "Ultimate" Cut, it has that plus a few more scenes with the Newsstand).

Ah, thanks for the clarification! :hi5: It's just that I didn't notice a whole lot being different. Granted, the last time I saw the theatrical run was about 3 years ago, so maybe that's why. Still, I found the Black Freighter quite enjoyable actually.

I hope not. There's really no need for that. There will be lots of varied opinions (which is human nature) but I honestly see no reason why the movie would be that polarizing. Unless people just WANT it to be.

some people wont be able to stay cool.

Aren't you sitting this debate out though Gaspar?
Yeah, I will, I doubt it will get as bad as the MoS thread to be honest, but you never know.

Ah, thanks for the clarification! :hi5: It's just that I didn't notice a whole lot being different. Granted, the last time I saw the theatrical run was about 3 years ago, so maybe that's why. Still, I found the Black Freighter quite enjoyable actually.

I didn't like the ultimate cut because of the Black Freighter parts, they didn't need to be in the movie, the DC is where it's at.

I didn't like the ultimate cut because of the Black Freighter parts, they didn't need to be in the movie, the DC is where it's at.

Actually, Zack himself agrees. Black Freighter was done toward the end of production and intended to be on its own as a bonus feature for a big box set (WB later decided to release it on a DVD with the faux "Under The Hood" doc around the time of the film's release). Zack decided to just try and "jerry-rig" it into the film for fun, and for WATCHMEN diehards. But it was never the original intention. The Director's Cut is more "pure".

Last edited:

As part of the movie, yeah, they kinda took me out of it, but if you see it as an isolated animated flick, it's rather good. I liked the art style and the narration. It felt like you were seeing an Anthology comic come to life. The cheesy dialogue, the "twist" at the end, it felt like I was reading Strange Tales or something along those lines.

Actually, Zack himself agrees. Black Freighter was done toward the end of production and intended to be on its own as a bonus feature for a big box set (WB later decided to release it on a DVD with the faux "Under The Hood" doc around the time of the film's release. Zack decided to just try and "jerry-rig" it into the film for fun, and for WATCHMEN diehards. But it was never the original intention. The Director's Cut is more "pure".
As part of the movie, yeah, they kinda took me out of it, but if you see it as an isolated animated flick, it's rather good. I liked the art style and the narration. It felt like you were seeing an Anthology comic come to life. The cheesy dialogue, the "twist" at the end, it felt like I was reading Strange Tales or something along those lines.
Yeah I didn't hate that part in itself, but it messed with the pacing of an already slow movie, like IrishJedi says, it would've been better as its own mini feature, good for Zack trying to please the fans as usual.

Yeah, I will, I doubt it will get as bad as the MoS thread to be honest, but you never know.

And if things get really ugly you'll be all like

0xlpFrf.gif

And I'll be like

2jGsHR7.gif

Yeah I didn't hate that part in itself, but it messed with the pacing of an already slow movie, like IrishJedi says, it would've been better as its own mini feature, good for Zack trying to please the fans as usual.

I remember it being an extra on the DVD when they were running the ads and such. Still, it's been years since then, so don't take my word for it.

Eh, that depends on your POV. I liked 300 and Watchmen, and I didn't hate MoS, but I don't have any "faith" in him. Meaning, that I won't see his name anywhere and go "oh it's Snyder, this is bound to be excellent". Now, I don't see his name and go "oh, it's gonna suck, I'm 100% certain it's gonna suck" either. It's just that I haven't been impressed yet.

Personally, I've got a scale of "creators". Comic Book writers, directors, game developers, etc, etc. At the very top, those I trust 99%, sit Warren Ellis, Scott Snyder, Naughty Dog, etc, etc. At the very bottom, sits Bendis. All allone, stuck in an endless loop of Bendis-Speak. Zack Snyder sits somewhere in the middle. Not good enough to sell me on his name alone, but not bad enough to turn me away either.

I get that he's passionate about his films and they do have a distinctive style. Plus, the costumes are always amazing, that I'll admit. But sometimes, at least in the interviews I've personally seen, he's a big fan of dissing. "MoS's Superman was the comic book Superman, if you don't like him, then you just aren't that big of a reader" or "our heroes are Legends, the competition's are flavours of the week" and stuff like that. Sure, the Trinity is at the top, but don't tell me that Aquaman is a legend and Captain America is not. I get that it's a publicity thing, Mackie and Stan are way, waaay more harsh, but why can't he be like Cavil and keep things civil? A win for DC is a win for Marvel and vice versa.

Aaaanyway, back to the film, I'm going in with no hype, but I know one thing: After DC's REBIRTH announcements, I'll surely be adding Batman to my pull list again. My LCS owner won't be happy cause he's a [insert curse here] and can't handle changing one title in your pull-list once every 2 months or so, but eh, what're you gonna do... Whatever happens, good or bad, it'll be enjoyable.

I saw Batman v Superman last night. Overall a good movie. A few things i would have done differently. My score 3.5 out 5. I'm going on Thursday to see it again.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I hope not. There's really no need for that. There will be lots of varied opinions (which is human nature) but I honestly see no reason why the movie would be that polarizing. Unless people just WANT it to be.

I dont see why too but it happens all the time with Zack´s flicks.
Would be cool if people can debate peacefully.

Now about the movie one thing "scares" me, i found out many plot points on my own, just connecting the dots but hope ill be surprised yet.

Being a long time comic fan I can't wait to see it! I love Superman and I love Batman. I love Wonder Woman too, but in a different kind of way. If that poster on my bedroom wall of Linda Carter could talk. . .

Being a long time comic fan I can't wait to see it! I love Superman and I love Batman. I love Wonder Woman too, but in a different kind of way. If that poster on my bedroom wall of Linda Carter could talk. . .

brainbleach.gif~c200

Personally I was always intrigued by Wonder Woman due to her affiliation with my country, but the whole American Flag motiff threw me off. I get why she was wearing it, but eh, I prefer the current look. Still, I'll probably give her book a chance with Rebirth, depending on the Creative Team. I've been meaning to dump some Marvel stuff, and I want to replace them, so WW seems like a good choice. Now, if we could get a GoW like game starring Diana...

I saw Batman v Superman last night. Overall a good movie. A few things i would have done differently. My score 3.5 out 5. I'm going on Thursday to see it again.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the impression. What CBM would you find BvS most comparable to, in terms of overall quality?

That would be awesome.

ComicVine had a feature a while back (2 years ago or so) that basically showcased a hypothetical game. The writer would detail the gameplay, the story, etc, etc. I remember someone writting a damn great Green Arrow game for example (I think that's it:Comics to Video Games: Green Arrow - Comic Vine).

A GoW-like Wonder Woman game isn't a new idea, but it's such a good one, that I'm suprised it hasn't been made, or heck, even hinted at yet. It's incredibly easy to make, so they don't have the Superman excuse. If they could just stop riding Batman's Bat-****, and looked at other properties, it'd be great... Honestly, the recipe is far too simple. Have it set in the Ancient Greek times, have her go against the Gods and such, maybe with some flash-forwards to the future. Make it bloody, gory, but also stunning graphic/art-style wise.

Back