1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS590 - Venom - Venom Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a gorgeous figure and I pre-ordered, with no NDR. However, Venom 2 movies should be released next summer, and that is nearly a year before the figure is supposed to be released. If Venom gains his iconic Spider symbol in this sequel movie, I will cancel the pre-order and wait for the second version of the figure, with the spider symbol.

Venom is not like Iron Man, Spider-Man, Stormtroopers, Batman, etc. He has only one suit and the only iconic look he has is black with a white spider symbol, therefore, having a version with the symbol and without would be pointless unlike having several Spider-Man figures for instance.

Venom doesn't have the spider symbol because he hasn't interacted with spider-man yet, and Venom 2 is about Carnage. If spidey is in the film it'll only be a cameo. They almost certainly won't add the Spider on his chest until he stars in a movie with Spidey and they do the black suit storyline. If they ever do that, it'll be years and years away.

Timewalker is about $72 cheaper in aggregate than SSC. The listing price is $12 less and I save an additional $20 with free shipping and $40 in sales tax.

I opted not to get the SSC EX with the bonus mini Venom head - probably will not pose it like that and the figure already comes with 2.

The extra mini Venom head is not worth $72.

Yeah, I went with Timewalker too. The customer service is great like you said and much cheaper than SSC - the only con is there is a month or so lag because they depend on SSC as their distributor.

I do the same calculations and agree 100%. Even taking into account the rewards, any figure over about $240 is a better deal away from SSC. I frequently get $25 promo codes that negate shipping and some of the tax. Without those, I always order elsewhere.

I do the same calculations and agree 100%. Even taking into account the rewards, any figure over about $240 is a better deal away from SSC. I frequently get $25 promo codes that negate shipping and some of the tax. Without those, I always order elsewhere.

I forgot to factor in SSC rewards and coupons (as you pointed out) but even that is not enough to narrow the $72 margin - the frustrating thing about those $25 codes, it is hit and miss, especially for preorder items.

Going through SSC and paying the premium does buy peace of mind though - generally speaking, you will get the items quicker and it is easier to return, get replacements or refunds should there be defects or dissatisfaction.

But for me personally, the trade off is not worth it - I do not mind waiting since I already have a backlog of unopened figures still and the rate of defects is relatively low.

buying several dozen collectibles a year (like i am sure many of the collectors here are), the savings potentially add up into the thousands with free shipping and the fact that sales tax is near 10% in my locale.

When I have both options available, the only time I opt for SSC is if there is an bonus EX accessory I really want or if the figure/statue is only available through SSC.

A couple recent examples I can think of was:

- Two Face Hot Toys Dark Knight (rerelease, some sort of Toy Fair EX)

- Fairytale Fantasy Jeffrey Scott Campbell statues (EX came with a metal art plate & stand that really accentuated the statue)

I forgot to factor in SSC rewards and coupons (as you pointed out) but even that is not enough to narrow the $72 margin - the frustrating thing about those $25 codes, it is hit and miss, especially for preorder items.

Going through SSC and paying the premium does buy peace of mind though - generally speaking, you will get the items quicker and it is easier to return, get replacements or refunds should there be defects or dissatisfaction.

But for me personally, the trade off is not worth it - I do not mind waiting since I already have a backlog of unopened figures still and the rate of defects is relatively low.

buying several dozen collectibles a year (like i am sure many of the collectors here are), the savings potentially add up into the thousands with free shipping and the fact that sales tax is near 10% in my locale.

When I have both options available, the only time I opt for SSC is if there is an bonus EX accessory I really want or if the figure/statue is only available through SSC.

A couple recent examples I can think of was:

- Two Face Hot Toys Dark Knight (rerelease, some sort of Toy Fair EX)

- Fairytale Fantasy Jeffrey Scott Campbell statues (EX came with a metal art plate & stand that really accentuated the statue)

Agree completely. I will tell you that I had an issue with my HT Ant Man that I bought from TW. The silver paint wore off right in the middle of the helmet where it rubbed during shipping. I emailed TW to see what they could do and the owner ordered a replacement for me directly through SSC - no questions asked. He let me know it was on the way and followed up to make sure I got it. Granted I’ve bought a lot from them (including HT Hulkbuster), but you cannot ask for more. Tax is about 6% where I live, so I always take that into account. I’ve only bought exclusives without question from SSC unless I have a promo code or are using rewards. The extra head for Venom doesn’t do it for me. I won’t display him with the standard ones let alone an extra one. I bought Spiderman 2099 without hesitation though from SSC. I don’t regret it though as that figure is absolutely amazing!

On a side note, I have an extra AM helmet with a paint blemish for anyone interested in a custom. PM and I’ll give you a good deal on it. ��

No doubt this is going to be a showstopper, and while of course we prefer Venom with the spider symbol, I still think it looks pretty cool without it. I'll be curious to see if any customizers will add a sculpted/painted symbol!

Venom doesn't have the spider symbol because he hasn't interacted with spider-man yet, and Venom 2 is about Carnage. If spidey is in the film it'll only be a cameo. They almost certainly won't add the Spider on his chest until he stars in a movie with Spidey and they do the black suit storyline. If they ever do that, it'll be years and years away.

That might be true but also might not :) we will see next summer

From Toy Sapiens expo. Not my pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 203
It seems like he may get the symbol in 2 judging from a leaked Halloween costume. Idk how but I guess that means people will wait for that version

Also this figure should have come out awhile ago. Seems like suddenly venom got another boosts in popularity and now everything is getting venomized.

Another pic

Attachments

• A05BD251-FCEF-4560-A8A5-6A5A1EC8D6BF.jpg
    A05BD251-FCEF-4560-A8A5-6A5A1EC8D6BF.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 301
Wonder if hot toys will wait 2 years after Venom 2 comes out to announce both Venom and Carnage 1/6 figures......:dunno

The slightest drop of conformation that Venom 2 will bring in the spider symbol and I’ll be dropping my PO in an instant- so long as KGHobby don’t have a cancellation fee... If they do then I’ll have him shipped and then he’s going straight on eBay to fund the more desirable Venom 2 figure.

Can't see past those joints. I know it's not really possible to avoid but they always ruin figures for me.

Back