1/6 Hot Toys - Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - Venom Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm close to the end so i've been doing all the side missions.... don't want the story to end. I've been enjoying the game but have mixed thoughts on Venom so far. I guess the conclusion will lean me one way or the other.

Regardless though - this is an awesome Venom that I am very tempted to get that could pass as just Venom instead of video game specific. I do wish he was a little smaller though.

I don't care about it not being Eddie Brock, I think it being who it is opens up more potential for a bitter rivalry. But they just didn't pull it off at all.
Without going into spoilers I hate how this character seems to always be shoehorned into always being a different villain than what he is.

Boss fights.

The characterisation also just sucks in this game. It’s not Venom at all apart from being a black symbiote.
Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
It was, though, it was just a twisted justification for doing so.

Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Yeah not my cup of tea with this version of Venom. Some stuff in the game is cool but I felt the most annoying thing was the use of the king in black story and not being accurate.

Yeah not my cup of tea with this version of Venom. Some stuff in the game is cool but I felt the most annoying thing was the use of the king in black story and not being accurate.
The fact that Cates and Stegman did so much for the King in Black story, and they aren't even credited for it here, is kind of a major bummer.

He looks great. Just isn’t venom. It’s being ripped apart everywhere and rightfully so. The figure is beautiful. The characterization not so much

He looks great. Just isn’t venom. It’s being ripped apart everywhere and rightfully so. The figure is beautiful. The characterization not so much
Agreed had it been Eddie Brock it would make sense and would have been great.

Agreed had it been Eddie Brock it would make sense and would have been great.
Kinda. The motivations of venom are t really in character. He doesn’t act like venom he’s really just a big monster who … wants to take over the world? It’s clear the writers do t know anything about venom they just think he looks cool. They didn’t go into what made him venom. Kinda sad that movies and games can’t get it right. It’s not hard.
Eddie brock
Vengeance against Spider-Man
Kills anyone that gets in his way but prefers not to
Stalker personality
Doesn’t want to involve innocent bystanders but will gladly scare peters loved ones
Has love for Peter and Eddie and was named venom due to his hatred.

Yeah I've been watching some clips and I'm not impressed. Might be outdated but I judge any Venom interpretations by the 90s animated series as my favorite version. The voice, trash talking Spidey as he kicks his ass ("Such low grade webbing!"), motivations, and general characterization are awesome.

In the game he really does seem to be just a big monster. Should have just invented a new symbiote if they didn't want to use Eddie Brock, this is Venom in name only.

I think in the context of their story, their Venom worked well enough. With Sony going full Spider-verse they probably encouraged different takes on the usual characters. I felt this gave a Peter a closer connection to the host than Brock would have been.
Different takes are fine, but this was Venom in appearance and name alone. There are no traits of the actual character here.

Kinda. The motivations of venom are t really in character. He doesn’t act like venom he’s really just a big monster who … wants to take over the world? It’s clear the writers do t know anything about venom they just think he looks cool. They didn’t go into what made him venom. Kinda sad that movies and games can’t get it right. It’s not hard.
Eddie brock
Vengeance against Spider-Man
Kills anyone that gets in his way but prefers not to
Stalker personality
Doesn’t want to involve innocent bystanders but will gladly scare peters loved ones
Has love for Peter and Eddie and was named venom due to his hatred.
Agreed though I think they wanted to do their version for the game and since this takes place in a universe that mixes the classic comics, 616, and Ultimates, they'll take some deviation from the og source.

Agreed though I think they wanted to do their version for the game and since this takes place in a universe that mixes the classic comics, 616, and Ultimates, they'll take some deviation from the og source.
Yea that’s true I just hate that they deviated so far from what makes venom good. Why on earth would they follow something from arguably the stupidest Spider-Man cartoon ever?
I also hate the “there’s to many brock stories” excuse. We have had Bruce Wayne as Batman since the 40s and they still made the character work with new and old generations

Yea that’s true I just hate that they deviated so far from what makes venom good. Why on earth would they follow something from arguably the stupidest Spider-Man cartoon ever?
I also hate the “there’s to many brock stories” excuse. We have had Bruce Wayne as Batman since the 40s and they still made the character work with new and old generations
"Too many Brock stories" cracks me up. That's like saying "there are too many Bruce Wayne stories".

Who do you think Bruce Wayne IS?

Anyway, as good a time as any to remind people that the Donny Cates run on "Venom" was a game-changer worth checking out.

I just pulled the trigger and Pre Ordered this figure from Timewalker and am so glad I did. I really like the appearance of this figure. I didn’t order either of the previous Venom figures from Hot Toys because although they are cool looking neither has the Spider Symbol on the chest so I was holding out.

Although Venom was introduced years after I stopped collecting comics as a kid I am very aware of him as one of Spider-Man’s greatest foes. However I don’t really know much about Venom’s personality or what makes him tick, except for his Eddie Brock inspired hatred for Spider-man. So I am largely unaware of how far the video game or movies have deviated from how Venom is portrayed in the comics.

So my ignorance has allowed me to just appreciate this as a very cool representation of a great Spider-Man villain!

However I don’t really know much about Venom’s personality or what makes him tick, except for his Eddie Brock inspired hatred for Spider-man. So I am largely unaware of how far the video game or movies have deviated from how Venom is portrayed in the comics.
In most media, the symbiote bonds with Peter before Eddie Brock. After he rejects it, the symbiote hates him just as much as Brock, making them the perfect pair.

If you ever get a chance, watch the symbiote arc from the 90s animated series. That depiction of Venom is still top tier, Carnage was awesome too.

Back