Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at Netflix sneak peak that they released today… on a reel of teaser footage for movies releasing this year… Just a few reflections.

It’s at 2:03.

I’m struck by just how strong the influence of Larry Fong was in movies like 300, Watchmen, and BvS. It’s not like Fong is absolutely essential for a great Zack Snyder cinematographic experience. Fong was not the DP for Man of Steel and ZSJL and those two movies both look great.

But I’ll be honest that I was not blown away with the cinematography of Army of the Dead. Zack himself was the DP for AotD. The cinematography is solid. But it wasn‘t godlike in the way that 300, Watchmen, and BvS were.

So honestly it worries me a bit that Zack is the DP for this movie that he has so much riding on.

I’ll truly be fascinated regardless to see how Zack blends together the western and sci-fi space opera genres. Haters are probably going to regard it as a train wreck. But I think it promises to be weird and wonderful. I’m sure the action and the visuals will be a really fun. But I’ll be looking at how Rebel Moon challenges those genre conventions and breaks rules. Mandalorian which is also a hybrid of western and sci-fi did this by honoring those conventions and coloring within the lines. I don’t see Zack doing that.

Last edited:
Zack Snyder says he's turning a failed Star Wars pitch into a sci-fi, samurai movie of its own.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14998742/A young woman seeks out warriors from other planets to fight the tyrannical armies terrorizing her peaceful colony.

So Seven Magnificent Samurai ....in Space!

Haven't we done this one already?

D0Wa0jGXcAEFP2r.jpg

783llm.jpg

No wonder Lucas balked.
This was the easiest next go-to cliché everyone was pitching. Not something new or innovative from his POV.
Though I can see why fans now with a tiny frame of reference think it's new and innovative.
It will no doubt be a fun spectacle.

And at this point if I can at least pretend they are Jedi, and the Takashi Shimura[Kambei Shimada]/Yul Brynner[Chris Adams] analog (yes that's one character), is remotely like a grizzled war-weary but honorable Luke Skywalker I once imagined, (not the complete pos coward and failure he is at Disney), maybe if I squint this will replace the horrible Sequels, as my post ROTJ head canon. :lol

Last edited:
As the old saying goes, there’s nothing new under the sun.

There’s an ancient Greek version of the same basic story: "Thebiad," first published in Latin by Publius Papinius Statius in A.D. 92.

https://www.newswise.com/articles/seven-against-thebes-winning-the-american-west-latin-style
From Amazon “The Seven Against Thebes”:

Often called the father of Greek tragedy, Aeschylus (525–456 B.C.) was the earliest and possibly the greatest of the Greek tragic poets. Altogether he may have written as many as 90 plays (including satyr plays as well as tragedies), but only seven have survived.

The Seven Against Thebes (first produced in 467 B.C.) was the final play in a trilogy (the other two are lost) dramatizing the well-known legend of Laius and his son Oedipus. In this culminating play, Oedipus is dead after his banishment from Thebes, and his two sons vie for the crown. The victor, Eteocles, expels his brother, Polynices, who flees to Argos and recruits a force of seven champions to lead an assault on Thebes. The tragic outcome is the fulfillment of the curse of Oedipus — that his sons should divide their inheritance with the sword.

Although Sophocles' treatment of the Oedipus legend is better known, the dialogue and imagery in Aeschylus's play retain an immediacy that resonates with modern readers and audiences. The result is a deeply moving theatrical milestone that is essential reading for students of literature, drama, and the classics.

Last edited:
:lol

Something tells me this will never happen. Zach is simply going everywhere he can now looking for work, letting everyone know he's available.

Given his track record, I'm not sure how many people will hire him. I mean, sadly, all these streaming companies need product so there's the possibility that this is the best time to have any kind of name value and be available. But then again, no one wants to tarnish their new platform with bad product.
Watch Rebel Moon 22 December 2023

Wasn’t there an anime take on this Magnificent Seven Samurai concept with a special girl doing the recruiting ?

I've seen epic trailers before and been severely let down by the movie. I won't hold my breath.
True, but I've also seen crap trailers which have been crap movies. At least this has potential out of the gate and deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

Looks more like Dune and other Sci-Fi than Star Wars. Except for the lightsabers of course :)

Of course it's got the amazing visuals and grown up adult story line. No wonder Disney didn't go for it :ROFLMAO:

Is this sci-fi or fantasy I really can’t tell what it’s trying to be.

Jack of all trades, master of none?

That’s fantasy and does not look like science fiction at all. I doubt it will be great, looks like typical over the top Snyder with a kitchen sink mentality. One minute it looks like Dune, the next Star Wars, the next Harry Potter. But. Cast is great and visually looks impressive. Just sad can’t see that on the big screen.

Looks like Sci-fi channels Dune mini-series threw up on Star Wars (and Battle Beyond the Stars) with a bloated fx budget, and assembly line cranked this out.
[IMG]

Should be fun!

Last edited:
I didn't find the trailer impressive at all unfortunately. If I were to describe the it in one word it would be "oversaturated". At least it's not the grey migraine nightmare that BvS was.

Back